Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Tiger Woods seriously injured in car accident

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Shortly after 7 AM Feb. 23 in the Los Angeles area, golf great Tiger Woods was driving his car alone and involved in a single vehicle rollover crash that has badly injured a leg. This could delay his return to competitive golf for an indeterminate period of time. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/02/tiger- ... orts-world
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/tiger- ... index.html

johns624

Re: Tiger Wooks seriously injured in car accident

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:39 pm

I know exactly where that is. Single vehicle accident...hmm.

casinterest

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:06 pm

From the video it looks like he struck the median took out a welcome sign, overcorrected and went off road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVdeoVk6dco

judging by the accident, I would guess he was going quite a bit over the 45 MPH limit.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

NIKV69

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 pm

With his back I hope he can walk again but golf may be over. Ugh
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 pm

Wasn't he involved in another accident in the past over a Thanksgiving weekend after a dispute with now ex-wife?

Edit: In 2009.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/g ... 296503002/
All posts are just opinions.

EasternSon

Re: Tiger Woods seriously injured in car accident

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:40 pm

Certainly hoping this isn't somehow linked to painkillers he's taking after another back surgery. Saw him on the broadcast on Sunday interviewed by Jim Nantz. He didn't look good.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

NIKV69

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 pm

EasternSon wrote:
Certainly hoping this isn't somehow linked to painkillers he's taking after another back surgery. Saw him on the broadcast on Sunday interviewed by Jim Nantz. He didn't look good.

Could be though looking at the crash scene I can't help but think he was going way too fast. Hope I am wrong.

lightsaber

Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Where he crashed is local for myself. I will neither confirm nor deny it is a fun place to drive fast. However, tree trimming is going on all around the city. They were working up Hawthorne Blvd and if they were near that corner, the street would have been covered in pine needles.

I'm in Covid19 quarantine, so I haven't been commuting to work, so I didn't see.

I would first suspect pine needles from tree trimming, but that means ignoring the cone zone... But I don't know.

Lightsaber
8 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

NIKV69

Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Where he crashed is local for myself. I will neither confirm nor deny it is a fun place to drive fast. However, tree trimming is going on all around the city. They were working up Hawthorne Blvd and if they were near that corner, the street would have been covered in pine needles.

I'm in Covid19 quarantine, so I haven't been commuting to work, so I didn't see.

I would first suspect pine needles from tree trimming, but that means ignoring the cone zone... But I don't know.

Lightsaber

He has compound fractures as well. Ugh.

vikkyvik

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:12 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Where he crashed is local for myself. I will neither confirm nor deny it is a fun place to drive fast.

Was local for me too up until 4 years ago. I can confirm (or deny) that it is a fun place to drive fast (though some other roads around Palos Verdes are more fun than Hawthorne).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

lightsaber

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:36 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Where he crashed is local for myself. I will neither confirm nor deny it is a fun place to drive fast.

Was local for me too up until 4 years ago. I can confirm (or deny) that it is a fun place to drive fast (though some other roads around Palos Verdes are more fun than Hawthorne).

They have added cameras to alert police in some areas. There were some incredibly fast speeding tickets. Not speed cameras, but rather so they can dispatch an officer.

Thank god this didn't happen on Mustang corner or dead man's curve. That would have been much more
dramatic.

Lightsaber
8 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

NIKV69

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 pm

Just watched the presser and they said something about another accident without injuries?

Aaron747

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 am

Speed limits are there on curvy roads and inclines for a reason. People better at math than us figured out why.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:43 am

7am so late night or early morning ? Tired or on drugs/alcohol ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

NIKV69

Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:56 am

Aesma wrote:
7am so late night or early morning ? Tired or on drugs/alcohol ?

The presser said no impairment. I am thinking excessive speed and didn't know the curve was coming and overcorrected.

StarAC17

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:43 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Wasn't he involved in another accident in the past over a Thanksgiving weekend after a dispute with now ex-wife?

Edit: In 2009.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/g ... 296503002/

Lets give him a break on that one as his ex was chasing him down with his 9 iron over his affairs. Most of us would have probably crashed into a fire hydrant in a residential neighborhood if your wife is chasing you down.

In 2017 he was pulled over in a suspected DUI and while there was no traces of alcohol in his system his pain meds and other drugs were found.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/tig ... gy-n792856

It really sucks for him as I was hoping he would be ready for the Masters. I really hope he can make a comeback :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

NIKV69

Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:15 am

StarAC17 wrote:
It really sucks for him as I was hoping he would be ready for the Masters. I really hope he can make a comeback :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Without the surgeries he has had the human body at his age takes a beating. With a shattered ankle his serious playing days are probably over. Remember it's not the act of swinging the club but by PGA tour rule and PGA rule. He has to walk the course in tournaments for 72 holes. Will he be able to play again after rehab with a cart? Probably but his liver has to be screaming no more pain meds.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm

There are more pictures of the vehicle showing the damage that was done. Both of Tiger's lower right leg bones were broken in several places, requiring surgery, screws, pins and rods. Apparently he lost control for some reason on a sweeping downhill curve, hit a sign, crossed a meridian, crossed 2 opposing lanes of traffic and ended up in a ditch off the road.He was found wearing a seat belt and the airbags went off. Sounds like a long an painful recovery with doubts as to his future in golf, but who knows.
One of the most famous golfers of all time, Ben Hogan, albeit at a younger age at the time, suffered severe leg injuries in a car crash in 1949, came back on a limited schedule to play and win in major tournaments. That may be an inspiration for Tiger although he too has had to deal with multiple stress injuries over the last 10 or so years.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woods-faces- ... 51794.html

johns624

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:53 pm

Maybe he'll ride off into the sunset...with someone else driving... :D

slider

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Horrible to hear, I hope he heals up soundly. His PGA playing days may now very well be over.

So if the LA Sheriffs are saying there were no signs of impairment, it would *seem* that excessive speed was an issue. Since he was driving a courtesy vehicle, I wonder if his lack of familiarity with it was also a factor.

meecrob

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:07 pm

slider wrote:
So if the LA Sheriffs are saying there were no signs of impairment, it would *seem* that excessive speed was an issue.

People can just plain suck at driving too.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:12 pm

meecrob wrote:
slider wrote:
So if the LA Sheriffs are saying there were no signs of impairment, it would *seem* that excessive speed was an issue.

People seem to forget that aggressive driving is just as deadly as drunk driving. Or impaired driving. Slow down. Stop cutting people off and tailgating. The things I see on the road blow my mind.

slider

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:50 pm

And, this may be a controversial statement, but I think he's absolutely getting the celebrity treatment. Sure, LA Sheriffs said they didn't notice any impairment, which may be true, but they had to have done a blood draw before surgery. They have to know what's in his system before administering any other meds.

Given his unfortunate history, and how he looked the day before, I'm going to just speculate that some sort of cocktail was in his system.

Then throw in speeding on an unfamiliar road, in an unfamiliar vehicle, and, well...

NIKV69

Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:39 pm

slider wrote:
And, this may be a controversial statement, but I think he's absolutely getting the celebrity treatment. Sure, LA Sheriffs said they didn't notice any impairment, which may be true, but they had to have done a blood draw before surgery. They have to know what's in his system before administering any other meds.

Given his unfortunate history, and how he looked the day before, I'm going to just speculate that some sort of cocktail was in his system.

Then throw in speeding on an unfamiliar road, in an unfamiliar vehicle, and, well...

This has crossed my mind given his celebrity in the sports world I hate to say it but I can see the possibility of some funny business going on. I hope this isn't the case. Still think it's speed and maybe distracted driving. Glancing at your phone while driving too fast on a unknown road it all you need.

vikkyvik

Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:55 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Glancing at your phone while driving too fast on a unknown road it all you need.

Glancing at your phone while driving the speed limit on a known road is all you need.

I swear, based on what I've seen in the last 5-10 years, being on your phone while driving has to be 10 times more unsafe than drunk driving.

Or maybe there are just far more people doing it. At least with drunk driving, I could rationalize that the likelihood of me running across a drunk driver at 3 PM on a Tuesday was fairly low.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ER757

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:49 pm

EasternSon wrote:

My boss said the same thing yesterday when I was talking to him. I did not see the interview but my boss said it seemed like he was high. Pain meds are surely a possibility, even if you aren't at a level that would be considered DUI, your reaction times will be slower and that could have been a contributing factor to the wreck. This certainly puts his future as a professional golfer in question. His body was pretty messed up already without this serious trauma. I just hope the guy heals up enough to live a fairly normal life. Lord knows he has noting left to prove out on the course.

johns624

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:17 pm

Painkillers aren't a reason, they're an excuse. I've had both my shoulders replaced and didn't take anything stronger than a couple of Advil after 48 hours.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 pm

vikkyvik wrote:

Glancing at your phone while driving the speed limit on a known road is all you need.

I swear, based on what I've seen in the last 5-10 years, being on your phone while driving has to be 10 times more unsafe than drunk driving.

Or maybe there are just far more people doing it. At least with drunk driving, I could rationalize that the likelihood of me running across a drunk driver at 3 PM on a Tuesday was fairly low.

You're absolutely correct. Also aggressive driving never gets the attention distracted driving does but it's just as dangerous.

johns624 wrote:
Painkillers aren't a reason, they're an excuse. I've had both my shoulders replaced and didn't take anything stronger than a couple of Advil after 48 hours.

You make a good point but you aren't playing 5 to 6 rounds of golf a week, Without a golf cart and having to walk the entire course every round of golf. It's murder on knees and back and they need the stuff to be able to work and earn a living. Heck the recreational players I see every day pop that stuff like it's nothing because they have to play. It's nuts.

johns624

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:45 pm

I'm 61 and I walk at least 3-4 miles a day. That doesn't include around the house, but just going on hikes/walks. I normally knock off 3.5mph so I still don't have any sympathy. It's not like they have to carry their own bags.

Pellegrine

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:04 am

The wall to wall coverage was a bit much IMO, it reminded of the horrible celebrity stalking culture that has led to so many breakdowns and self-destructive behaviors in famous people. (Thinking about the Britney Spears doc.)

Frankly, I don't care if he ever plays golf again. That man is in the history books already, and he has enough money. He could continue to make money with endorsements. I hope he'll be alright and can walk again without too much pain or awkwardness. I had knee surgery before and a month from diagnosis to surgery I was walking with a badddddd limp at 28...had previously injured that knee playing American football at 17. My meniscus was "shredded" (orthopaedic surgeon's term).

People shouldn't put so much pressure and so many expectations on this man. Just let him live his life in peace.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

NIKV69

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:43 am

Pellegrine wrote:
The wall to wall coverage was a bit much IMO, it reminded of the horrible celebrity stalking culture that has led to so many breakdowns and self-destructive behaviors in famous people. (Thinking about the Britney Spears doc.)

Frankly, I don't care if he ever plays golf again. That man is in the history books already, and he has enough money. He could continue to make money with endorsements. I hope he'll be alright and can walk again without too much pain or awkwardness. I had knee surgery before and a month from diagnosis to surgery I was walking with a badddddd limp at 28...had previously injured that knee playing American football at 17. My meniscus was "shredded" (orthopaedic surgeon's term).

People shouldn't put so much pressure and so many expectations on this man. Just let him live his life in peace.

Yea the media was a disgrace yesterday but that is what they do. I guess they are bored with golfers like Dustin Johnson and Patrick Reed. One doesn't talk and the other is cheating all the time. I do hope he can walk without a cane and have some quality of life but his competitive golf is over.

Pellegrine

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
but his competitive golf is over.

I think we agree, but this part was really bothering me yesterday how the news kept talking about it. Also all the references to was he DUI on the news because of his previous crash and previous DUI where he fell asleep at the wheel while stopped. Like that man almost died. Let him rest.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

ltbewr
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:45 pm

meecrob wrote:
slider wrote:

Yesterday I heard a sports radio guy make the comment that many callers and I agree with - that Tiger should hire an experienced personal driver instead of driving themself. Apparently he was late to a meeting with some other pro athletes so very possible he was speeding, in an unfamiliar vehicle, a large SUV which has different driving characteristics than a car, on a unfamiliar road with dangerous curves. He was in a hurry, it is possible he wasn't fully awake. He is also a celebrity, a person of color, rich so a professional driver with skills for evasive driving in case of where he was the target of a criminal attack, kidnapping, carjacking would be advisable. There is also the issue of him being under the influence of pain killers for his recent back surgery that may have affected his judgment. For sure he can afford a full time professional driver to reduce risks to his personal life and should consider it..

Okie

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:13 pm

ltbewr wrote:
He is also a celebrity, a person of color, rich so a professional driver with skills for evasive driving in case of where he was the target of a criminal attack, kidnapping, carjacking would be advisable

Yes of course, especially when being chased by a irate Norwegian woman with a golf club.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Okie

Pellegrine

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:14 pm

ltbewr wrote:
meecrob wrote:
slider wrote:

Yesterday I heard a sports radio guy make the comment that many callers and I agree with - that Tiger should hire an experienced personal driver instead of driving themself. Apparently he was late to a meeting with some other pro athletes so very possible he was speeding, in an unfamiliar vehicle, a large SUV which has different driving characteristics than a car, on a unfamiliar road with dangerous curves. He was in a hurry, it is possible he wasn't fully awake. He is also a celebrity, a person of color, rich so a professional driver with skills for evasive driving in case of where he was the target of a criminal attack, kidnapping, carjacking would be advisable. There is also the issue of him being under the influence of pain killers for his recent back surgery that may have affected his judgment. For sure he can afford a full time professional driver to reduce risks to his personal life and should consider it..

I have one sometimes actually, sometimes I use uber, sometimes I drive my cars when I'm totally alert and sober. I have pretty bad ADHD and a lead foot so....but i'm in my 30s and a lot more responsible now, with more to lose. In my 20s my friends and I were so reckless. We'd go out to clubs like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan did back in the day and get drunk af and high and then drive off in like 500-600hp cars lol. Never got caught, but boy was that stupid. I also have a need for speed. Very high speeds in an automobile is better than any drug or sex I've ever had. It's like an orgasm that keeps going and going and going. I've been 130mph on US freeways. 170mph in Germany...still havent cracked 300kph or 200mph though.

Once I scared the shit out of myself going to work in the morning because I was driving my 6000lb gross weight GMC Yukon Denali aftermarket supercharged in the States and I hit a 270 degree RH turn loop offramp decelerating from 80mph, turned into it around 55mph still decelerating. The pavement was moist with like morning dew, and the whole SUV slipped sideways about a foot going around the loop ramp, but the traction control caught it. Nothing but big trees to the outside of the curve...I was freaked the f out.

Aesma

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:34 pm

The media is tired of COVID, and there is much less Trump drama...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams