Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Your favorite wiper blades

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:49 pm

I would like to know, what are your favorite wiper blades?

While many recommend going with the cheapest wiper blades here in the Phoenix area desert, I found this to be a load of BS with the cheap Walmart blades only lasting a month. My favorites are TRICO NeoForm beam blades, which aren't too expensive but we typically get 1-2 years out of them.

casinterest

Re: Your favorite wiper blades

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 pm

You live in Phoenix. Shouldn't you be more concerned with Sun Shades?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:54 pm

casinterest wrote:

When we have our monsoons we still need wiper blades. Also our windshields get all dusty that we need wipers to clean them with the washer fluid.

casinterest

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:56 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

When we have our monsoons we still need wiper blades. Also our windshields get all dusty that we need wipers to clean them.

See that is the issue then. You can't use foam wipers. You all have small rock particles all over the windows which will rip wiper blades to shreds.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

seb146

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:56 pm

I always buy the second cheapest anything. Not the absolute cheapest because they simply fall apart or go bad quickly. Tires, apples, wipers, jeans, coffee, phones, what have you. For wipers, I buy the second cheapest, which is usually RainX, and I buy the entire assembly, not just the blades. But, if you only use something once or twice a year, what does it matter?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

T18

Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:01 pm

I watched a comapro on youtube, think it was a Project Farm video. He found the Bosch Blades to be very good, which oddly are what I bought to replace me OEM blades when they wore out, work great and were not any more $ than the other reputable brands.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

TSS

Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:41 pm

When it rains here, it does so for serious but not all that frequently as evidenced by our (at last check) 52 inches of average annual rainfall versus Seattle's 35 inches, so we need wipers that last and that work properly when you need them. Most brands work well when new, but the only ones I've found that actually last and don't turn to dust on a car that sits outside all the time are the Michelin ones, with one pair I had still working well except for one or two acceptably small streaks after five years.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

NIKV69

Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:45 pm

casinterest wrote:

ROFL

I have had great results with Bosch Icon. Also like Rainx. I want to know what blades came on my truck they are almost a year old and they are still kicking butt.

Inside tip. Every 3 months take some denatured alcohol and a clean rag and wipe the rubber part. Oh man does it make them last and work longer.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

ROFL

I have had great results with Bosch Icon. Also like Rainx. I want to know what blades came on my truck they are almost a year old and they are still kicking butt.

Inside tip. Every 3 months take some denatured alcohol and a clean rag and wipe the rubber part. Oh man does it make them last and work longer.

The OEM beam blades on my dad's 2016 Ford F-150 lasted just under two years. We replaced them with Trico NeoForms in 2018. The first Trico NeoForm on one side was replaced with another last fall, the other side is still good.

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:56 pm

Now I’m confused I would have thought wiper blades would have been an Archguy1 topic, not a Delta topic. Ditto for the new post truck topic.

TSS

Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Now I’m confused I would have thought wiper blades would have been an Archguy1 topic, not a Delta topic. Ditto for the new post truck topic.

Nah, Archguy1's style of thread is one trying to drum up support to save an old and wholly unremarkable from any architectural or aesthetic standpoint industrial building where wiper blades were once produced that has been scheduled for demolition, claiming that it will become an instant "tourist attraction" (not why or how, just that it will be by virtue of it's existence) if only it could be preserved.

fortytwoeyes

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:34 pm

Bosch Aerotwin. Not used anything else for years, unless it was a car that still had the OEM blades.

OA260

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:40 pm

fortytwoeyes wrote:
Bosch Aerotwin. Not used anything else for years, unless it was a car that still had the OEM blades.

I purchased these on my Amazon account for a mate last week. They are very good so far.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:47 pm

Also, many newer vehicles use all sorts of new style connectors specifically designed for beam blades. It's a mess right now because automakers cannot agree on one new standard to replace the common J-hook connectors. Side-pin connectors have been obsolete since the 2000s, but now automakers are introducing so many new more secure latching connectors for beam blades to replace J-hooks.

LCDFlight

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:31 am

Trico Force All-Season Beam blades are very good.

For more about what a Beam type wiper looks like, here you go.

https://www.tricoproducts.com/beam-vs-contentional

einsteinboricua

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:40 am

RainX (the lower tier ones) or Bosch. I'm back in the Mid-Atlantic region so I'll see just how bad the rains are again.

TSS wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Nah, Archguy1's style of thread is one trying to drum up support to save an old and wholly unremarkable from any architectural or aesthetic standpoint industrial building where wiper blades were once produced that has been scheduled for demolition, claiming that it will become an instant "tourist attraction" (not why or how, just that it will be by virtue of it's existence) if only it could be preserved.

And then never adding anything substantial to the conversation except ask what your thoughts are...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aesma

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:49 am

My parents' car has a giant windshield (C4 Picasso II MPV), I think the beam blades are mandatory for it. I just checked and indeed that's the case. I usually take the Valeo Silencio to be chauvinistic, although the Bosch are fine too. Ordering online, there is usually not much money to gain by going for no name brands so I don't bother.

Same for my own Citroën C3, Valeo silencio, in conventional construction though. After checking I see Bosch makes beam ones, the "Aerotwin Retrofit", I might try them next time.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

NIKV69

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:52 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

ROFL

The OEM beam blades on my dad's 2016 Ford F-150 lasted just under two years. We replaced them with Trico NeoForms in 2018. The first Trico NeoForm on one side was replaced with another last fall, the other side is still good.

I am going to look into this!

TSS

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:00 am

Hmmm...

I tried RainX wipers when I lived in Savannah, where it rains very hard very frequently but rarely for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time, not unlike rapidly turning a faucet in the sky all the way open then all the way closed again several times a day, and they didn't work well at all when new, but that was 25 years ago when they were relatively new on the market so I'm willing to accept they may have improved some since then.

Edited to add: I just remembered that the RainX wipers were so bad at clearing copious amounts of water I replaced them before they wore out, the only set with which I've seen the need to do that.

I also tried high-dollar Bosch wipers at that time and found they worked as well as but not noticeably better than anything else on regular old rainwater and lots of it plus they only lasted a year or slightly less.

After that I became disgusted and declared the "premium" wiper blade market a shameless scam and started buying El Cheapo Anco blades which, though they only lasted a year like all the "premium" brands, cleared regular rainwater as well as anything else I'd tried at a fraction of the "premium" price. Then I tried the Michelins and their remarkable longevity won my favor over all others.

I think I tried Trico blades even earlier and found them unremarkable, but that's 25-30 years ago so they too may have improved in the intervening time.

Classa64

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:21 pm

I use the OEM wiper inserts, cheap on price for two pieces of rubber and take 3 sec to pull the old ones out and slide in new ones, wiper chassis last forever as they are plastic and flexible
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

vrbarreto

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:29 pm

Bosch aerotwins here as well.. But have had to change them every year after the cycle of - 20 to +40 we get every year.. Much better performance and quieter than the oem and cheaper.. Don't get halfords to replace them though. The last time they did them they put them on the wrong way so they weren't clipped in properly and promptly flew off when I used them on the motorway..

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Been using Bosch Icons for almost 10 years, they are good.
All posts are just opinions.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:28 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Been using Bosch Icons for almost 10 years, they are good.

Yea everyone raved about the Rainx Latitude but Bosch is better. I am going to inspect my OEM on my truck and see what brand they are.

ACDC8

Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:45 pm

Been using OEM blades on all my VWs, IIRC they use Bosch. When it rains, they wipe. Pitted windshields are more of an issue with visibility here. Had to replace the windshield last year, they didn't have any OEM windshields in stock so they asked if they could install another windshield and gave me Pilkington. Holding up better than the crap OEM that VW uses :thumbsup:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

r6russian

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:47 pm

rainx latitude on top of a waxed windshield. i get 5 years + out of a set of wiper blades because of waxed windshield. Rain beads right off, the harder it rains the better it self cleans, no need for wipers at all in the rain unless its just lightly misting and youre in slow moving traffic. In the winter, snow and ice dont stick to the windshield either, just get in, hit the wipers a couple times and windshield is clear. open and close the doors to knock the snow off the side windows, hit the wipers twice and drive off while everyone is scraping their shit off

Ive been waxing my windows (not just windshield, all windows) for over a decade, long before commercial grade ceramic coating was invented, windshield wax lasts as long as the rest of a wax job on a car, 3-6 months before windshield wax deteriorates enough. Pretty much wax in the spring, wax early summer, wax early fall and wax before it gets real cold coming up to winter, touch up with spray detailer if need a quick boost. Now if your car is nice enough to pay for ceramic coat, its well worth it because it lasts multiple years and reputable detailers will offer a lifetime warranty on the ceramic coat. Now the whole car is protected from the elements, you can forget about washing it for years, just hose it off with water and it looks like the minute it rolled out of the detail shop. well worth 500-1000+ dollars if you got a nice car. But if thats too much, regular car wax on the windows and enjoy, you wont know what you did without waxed windows.

Pellegrine

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:06 am

Bosch something or other.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

NIKV69

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:53 pm

r6russian wrote:
rainx latitude on top of a waxed windshield. i get 5 years + out of a set of wiper blades because of waxed windshield. Rain beads right off, the harder it rains the better it self cleans, no need for wipers at all in the rain unless its just lightly misting and youre in slow moving traffic. In the winter, snow and ice dont stick to the windshield either, just get in, hit the wipers a couple times and windshield is clear. open and close the doors to knock the snow off the side windows, hit the wipers twice and drive off while everyone is scraping their shit off

Ive been waxing my windows (not just windshield, all windows) for over a decade, long before commercial grade ceramic coating was invented, windshield wax lasts as long as the rest of a wax job on a car, 3-6 months before windshield wax deteriorates enough. Pretty much wax in the spring, wax early summer, wax early fall and wax before it gets real cold coming up to winter, touch up with spray detailer if need a quick boost. Now if your car is nice enough to pay for ceramic coat, its well worth it because it lasts multiple years and reputable detailers will offer a lifetime warranty on the ceramic coat. Now the whole car is protected from the elements, you can forget about washing it for years, just hose it off with water and it looks like the minute it rolled out of the detail shop. well worth 500-1000+ dollars if you got a nice car. But if thats too much, regular car wax on the windows and enjoy, you wont know what you did without waxed windows.

Glad you brought this up I keep my windshield waxed as well. Also what I love is use that rainx windshield wiper fluid and it cuts down on how much you run the wipers.

ACDC8

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:13 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Also what I love is use that rainx windshield wiper fluid and it cuts down on how much you run the wipers.

Careful with RainX in your fluid reservoir, can mess up the sensors in the tank.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

NIKV69

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:17 am

ACDC8 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Also what I love is use that rainx windshield wiper fluid and it cuts down on how much you run the wipers.

Careful with RainX in your fluid reservoir, can mess up the sensors in the tank.

Very interesting I will look into that. Doesn't really matter though I always top it off before it gets to a quarter.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Trico Force All-Season Beam blades are very good.

For more about what a Beam type wiper looks like, here you go.

https://www.tricoproducts.com/beam-vs-contentional

Trico Titan looks just like the Bosch blades on both my Audis and the VW I owned a while back. I also think my last MINI had the same blades.

zippyjet

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:32 pm

Windshield wipers are worth spending some extra coin. The curved Bosch blades followed by the Rain X curved blades rank high IMO. Also treating your windshield with Rain X, or other water repellent goes a long way for your wiper blades. Better visability, beading water. Even in humid Maryland with our killer pop up thunderstorms very rarely over the past twenty years have I had to run my wipers on the warped/high speed. Thanks to quality blades and treating my windshield, I've gotten long life out of my wipers and much better visibility. Hopefully after you treat your windshield with a rain repellent, the next hack for its long lasting effectiveness, Spend a little extra coin for premium Prestone or Rain X. windshield washer fluid that repels water helps your treated windshield bead water much longer.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

luv2cattlecall

Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:34 pm

Oem blades and Aquapel (like rainx but it lasts me a year)

CrimsonNL

Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:56 pm

Bosch Aerotwin. On my previous car a pair lasted 100,000km easily. In The Netherlands too where they are frequently used.
Always comparing your flown types list with mine