Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Super Bowl LV: The COVID "Super Spreader" Dud

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:09 pm

Let me preface that at the beginning of 2020, I thought of myself as a liberal person.
Two things made me alter my views a bit. (1) moving to downtown Seattle [infer what you will, but I am sick of stepping over human feces in city parks] and (2) the COVID response in the US, and the assault on individual liberties.
I am still a liberal, but certainly now more "libertarian".
Shame me all you want. I don't care!

Watching how the American media covers the COVID-19 pandemic has been fascinating. Things really went off the rails in the summer of 2020, when the various BLM protests were ongoing (which I largely support, until property starts getting destroyed), without any social distancing whatsoever, and the media outlets (aside from those on the right) largely turned a blind eye to this. Outlets like CNN paid lip-service to it, but only in so far as to save face. On the right, the BLM protests were (sarcastically) referred to as "super spreader events" (mocking the left), but it is unclear (at least to me) if any large COVID outbreaks could be directly traced to those events. And talk about a fool's errand, trying to contract trace mass protests occurring simultaneously in the "middle" of a pandemic in cities across the US!

Fast forward to Sturgis, and every centrist and left-leaning news outlet in the nation was all of the sudden once again concerned with "super spreader events" (a non-scientific term), so long as they were events occurring in "red states" (as if the virus cared what your political affiliation was). Some outlets dedicated entire prime time segments to it. This one was a little easier to contract trace as it was a singular event. But it was an example of the bias in the American media, and how they selectively "care" about topics that interest them.

Florida has been open completely since late Sept 2020. When DeSantis re-opened the state, once again, every media outlet in America predicted doom and gloom there. Leftists on social media even today accuse DeSantis of "murdering" his citizens (those same people are not at all concerned with the shenanigans Cuomo is under federal investigation for). (This type of rhetoric is unhinged and insane, for the record. The left is starting to sound like Trump supporters, but this is another topic altogether...).

Then comes Feb 7th, 2021, Super Bowl Sunday. 24,000+ people in attendance at the stadium. A lot of these folks were apparently already-vaccinated healthcare workers (the number I see a lot is 7k). I have been monitoring the FL COVID numbers and, strangely, there has *not* been the "super spreader event" that was predicted by every Karens on social media. (You know Karen, he/she/they get off on COVID-shaming everyone within sight.) --- 3 weeks have passed now, and there is no spike. And I know as well as you do that everyone and their mother was partying that weekend.

I make this conclusion based on the following data: https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/. If you view the following report, a couple pages in it goes back to Sept. There is no spike: http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partn ... latest.pdf.

Florida continues to surprise. Instead, Florida's "curves" basically followed that national ones in terms of seasonality. I am no scientist, but it seems like Florida is the "control" on the "experiments" other states are conducting. To a lesser extent, South Dakota is similar. The results we see in "open" states vs. "closed" states, at least in my mind, call into question the effectiveness of mandates and lockdowns.

So, what happened? I'd love to hear what you all think.
PNW-based private pilot and engineer. #fatpnw

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Re: Super Bowl LV: The COVID "Super Spreader" Dud

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:22 pm

Ignore masks for a moment. Because I know someone is going to bring it up.
Significant protocols were in place for the event. How is it that someone can't sit down for coffee at a Starbucks in California, but 25k people can crowd a stadium in Florida then resulting in no super-spreading?
IMO, COVID eventually ends in a courtroom. Preferably a room at the US Supreme Court.

Newark727

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:25 pm

Thought this thread was going to be about the Kansas City Chiefs' offensive line. :duck:

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:26 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Thought this thread was going to be about the Kansas City Chiefs' offensive line. :duck:

Hey, I had to generate traffic somehow.

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:32 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 856801002/
The much-ballyhooed, steady decline in new coronavirus infections and hospitalizations appears to have stalled. Experts now are trying to determine whether a new surge is underway.

In the seven-day period ending Thursday, 17 states had rising case counts over the previous seven days. In the seven-day period ending Friday, 21 states were up over the previous seven days.

The week ending Saturday saw new cases rise in 23 states from the previous week.

The decline may be over.

Why are you concerned about one football game as a litmus test? It was ONE game.
Maybe you didn't know there were 2 NFL games two week before that? Maybe you didn't know there were 4 the week before that one? 8 the week before that one, or 16 the previous week.

Also there were tons of College Football in the weeks preceding that one?

Maybe you didn't notice all the schools. and athletic events that were shut down for about 2-3 months as college students went home, and youth sports ended in November

Maybe as a "new" conservative you have yet to understand the holidays of Christmas and Thanksgiving and how they extended a fall full of loosened social restrictions ,which induced a spike. That spike was produced by people(mostly conservative) claiming the worst was over in August and September, and that Covid was "Fake News" .

If you are paying any attention at all, you may notice that Florida's current numbers are still far higher than they were in September and October., and that is with the coldest months of winter over now.

Now we move into Spring, where ~20% of adults over 18 are already vaccinated. That leave 80% currently unvaccinated. Their are signs that we will move into another spike as the decline in cases has started to flatline. This new spike will hopefully just be cases of younger folks that can fight it off, but bases on recent anti vaccination questions, it seems many conservatives may be working hard to undermine their own numbers.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... vaccinated

DENVER – As Colorado continues to roll out the COVID-19 vaccine and with nearly 6,000 people dead in the state because of the virus, a newly released poll found just around 1 in 3 Colorado Republicans plan to get vaccinated when doses become available to them.

Hopefully you will get a vaccine when it comes available.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:40 pm

I see we're already off to a great start with widespread generalizations. I am not a conservative. I'm one of those people in the middle you like to ignore, and pretend doesn't exist. I'm one of those people you had to win over, otherwise you'd have had Trump term 2. And you did win me over. Trump is gone now.

Back on topic...
I'll note you did not address *any* of the points in my post, which is largely about media bias and how both sides of the political media like to selectively care about what to care about this week.
Instead you deflected. The narrative is always "we can't open up, cases and deaths will spike". "We can't have the super bowl this year, it's too dangerous!" The problem lockdown-ers keep running into is a lack of bodies to prove their point. Unless they're trying to affirm California's and NY's COVID response?

casinterest wrote:
The decline may be over.

Want to bet?

You know, it's interesting. Media outlets every day report along the lines of "120 deaths reported in Florida today", but they almost never mention that reported deaths per day does not necessarily mean "the number of people who died of COVID *today* was X".

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:46 pm

At some point, "cases" will start to be ignored.
I've had probably two dozen "cases of the flu" in my lifetime.
The COVID vaccines prevent severe illness. They prevent death.
That was the point.
"Zero COVID" is a fool's errand, although, there are a LOT of fools in the USA.

NIKV69

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:49 pm

Newark727 wrote:

Or how Russell Wilson will be a Raider soon. :duck:
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:19 pm

Just had a look at SkyNews and observed a (weekly now?) collective freak-out over a "new" strain being discovered in the UK.
Last week it was California stations freaking out over the spread of the "new strain" there, which in actually has been spreading since May (a fact the conveniently ignored).
Is this what we're going to do now? Go into lockdown every time a virus mutates?
It's interesting that of the 4000+ mutations documented of COVID, that we are laser-focused on a select few.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13946002/ ... dangerous/
"Mutant ninjas"

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:33 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
I see we're already off to a great start with widespread generalizations. I am not a conservative. I'm one of those people in the middle you like to ignore, and pretend doesn't exist. I'm one of those people you had to win over, otherwise you'd have had Trump term 2. And you did win me over. Trump is gone now.

Back on topic...
I'll note you did not address *any* of the points in my post, which is largely about media bias and how both sides of the political media like to selectively care about what to care about this week.
Instead you deflected. The narrative is always "we can't open up, cases and deaths will spike". "We can't have the super bowl this year, it's too dangerous!" The problem lockdown-ers keep running into is a lack of bodies to prove their point. Unless they're trying to affirm California's and NY's COVID response?

casinterest wrote:
The decline may be over.

Want to bet?

You know, it's interesting. Media outlets every day report along the lines of "120 deaths reported in Florida today", but they almost never mention that reported deaths per day does not necessarily mean "the number of people who died of COVID *today* was X".

I already linked the article. Did you even try to read it?

As for the rest, why do I have to address lies, and misinformation from "Not a scientist" when I have better and more detailed information to present?

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/02/28/covid-19-news-coronavirus-cases-rise-fauci-vaccine-stimulus-checks/6856801002/
The much-ballyhooed, steady decline in new coronavirus infections and hospitalizations appears to have stalled. Experts now are trying to determine whether a new surge is underway.

In the seven-day period ending Thursday, 17 states had rising case counts over the previous seven days. In the seven-day period ending Friday, 21 states were up over the previous seven days.

The week ending Saturday saw new cases rise in 23 states from the previous week.

The decline may be over.

Why are you concerned about one football game as a litmus test? It was ONE game.
Maybe you didn't know there were 2 NFL games two week before that? Maybe you didn't know there were 4 the week before that one? 8 the week before that one, or 16 the previous week.

Maybe you didn't notice all the schools. and athletic events that were shut down for about 2-3 months as college students went home, and youth sports ended in November

Maybe as a "new" conservative you have yet to understand the holidays of Christmas and Thanksgiving and how they extended a fall full of loosened social restrictions ,which induced a spike. That spike was produced by people(mostly conservative) claiming the worst was over in August and September, and that Covid was "Fake News" .

If you are paying any attention at all, you may notice that Florida's current numbers are still far higher than they were in September and October., and that is with the coldest months of winter over now.

Now we move into Spring, where ~20% of adults over 18 are already vaccinated. That leave 80% currently unvaccinated. Their are signs that we will move into another spike as the decline in cases has started to flatline. This new spike will hopefully just be cases of younger folks that can fight it off, but bases on recent anti vaccination questions, it seems many conservatives may be working hard to undermine their own numbers.

DENVER – As Colorado continues to roll out the COVID-19 vaccine and with nearly 6,000 people dead in the state because of the virus, a newly released poll found just around 1 in 3 Colorado Republicans plan to get vaccinated when doses become available to them.

The spike peaked on January 8th and cases have been dropping precipitously ever since. How come? How Florida without much in the way of lockdown rules has done as well as California? It isn’t a pandemic without some using it as lever to control other’s behavior.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:43 pm

casinterest wrote:
I already linked the article. Did you even try to read it?

As for the rest, why do I have to address lies, and misinformation from "Not a scientist" when I have better and more detailed information to present?

Yes I read it, and yes I'll be getting the vaccine as soon as I can.
Hopefully that doesn't disappoint you.

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:48 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/02/28/covid-19-news-coronavirus-cases-rise-fauci-vaccine-stimulus-checks/6856801002/

The decline may be over.

The spike peaked on January 8th and cases have been dropping precipitously ever since. How come? How Florida without much in the way of lockdown rules has done as well as California? It isn’t a pandemic without some using it as lever to control other’s behavior.

Florida is relatively well spread out, and my guess is a lot of the snowbirds haven't returned yet to really get some of the cases going. Florida hasn't seen a decline percentage wise remotely in the range of California though. So while Florida has kept it on the down low, it has only done it marginally. I expect with spring sports opening up, and more concert/sports venues, we will see spikes in numbers in March and April, especially as Spring Break gets going.

California had to pull levers. They have dense urban areas, and their numbers were insane.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:48 pm

Someone will surely bring up "yeah but your numbers aren't adjusted for population density or cases per capita" so I'll go ahead and save that person the effort. These stats are largely irrelevant until the pandemic is "over" (maybe it will take Biden losing re-election to end it?) because we need "final" numerators and denominators to determine the real numbers but for now...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/

California and Florida are similarly located on the chart. Both states have basically the opposite COVID restrictions. One has none, one still limits indoor dining for example.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 pm

casinterest wrote:
So while Florida has kept it on the down low, it has only done it marginally.

And how did they "keep it on the dl" by doing nothing?

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 pm

casinterest wrote:
I expect with spring sports opening up, and more concert/sports venues, we will see spikes in numbers in March and April, especially as Spring Break gets going..

And if they don't?

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
casinterest wrote:
So while Florida has kept it on the down low, it has only done it marginally.

And how did they "keep it on the dl" by doing nothing?

Because it is winter, even in Florida. That means most sports events are cancelled. Colleges were closed. that and even though you say Florida is "OPEN" you need to reember the misinformation sources you are watching aren't telling you the whole truth, and so you repeat them.

The cities also aren't as Stupid as Ron Desantis. They actually have mask mandates and restrictions.
But Desantis is aslo trying to screw that up.

https://www.wptv.com/coronavirus/gov-ro ... mic-powers

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:00 pm

There you go again, assuming so much. I don't watch TV.
Florida is open. That is the bottom line. We are comparing them to California, man.
For all intents and purposes, Florida is open.
Sure, cities have mask mandates, but they are un-enforceable.
They also have 50% indoor dining. So much for your "it's very dangerous" position.

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:11 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
There you go again, assuming so much. I don't watch TV.
Florida is open. That is the bottom line. We are comparing them to California, man.
For all intents and purposes, Florida is open.
Sure, cities have mask mandates, but they are un-enforceable.
They also have 50% indoor dining. So much for your "it's very dangerous" position.

It proves nothing. Florida has some of the highest cases in the nation. If you prove success by killing people, that isn't success. It is murder.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:13 pm

casinterest wrote:
It proves nothing. Florida has some of the highest cases in the nation. If you prove success by killing people, that isn't success. It is murder.

Maybe you'll win that court case too.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:15 pm

While we're on the subject of "murdering" citizens, I believe there is a Andrew Cuomo dedicated thread.
Or are we only concerned with Republican governors' COVID policies?

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Florida stats updated for Sun 2/28. Cases, deaths, and ILI/CLI admissions continuing downward trend.
https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:21 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Maybe you'll win that court case too.

Why are you suing everybody? Cases are cases, and if Florida really thought there was no danger, why do most locals still have 100% mask participation?

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
Cases are cases, and if Florida really thought there was no danger, why do most locals still have 100% mask participation?

My entire family lives in FL, as do many of my best friends. I guarantee you it is not 100%.
Your logic is that barring gov't-forced mask wearing and restrictions/lockdowns = mass death, highest case counts in the nation. (I didn't happen, but you keep waiting for it to happen - for how long?)
(Was that a scientific study, or did you just make up that number?)

If someone in a state without a mandate wants to wear a mask, good for them. I 100% support the right to do so.
You sure do enjoy chatting with Russian bots, it would seem. :]

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:27 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Cases are cases, and if Florida really thought there was no danger, why do most locals still have 100% mask participation?

My entire family lives in FL, as do many of my best friends. I guarantee you it is not 100%.
Your logic is that barring gov't-forced mask wearing and restrictions/lockdowns = mass death, highest case counts in the nation. (I didn't happen, but you keep waiting for it to happen - for how long?)

Do you know how the restaurants are all surviving? Hint it takes Government money. The only advantage Florida has over other locals is that most of the restaurants can operate outside in the winter.
The cases are there, and the deaths are still high. It is just that most conservatives don't care about how to save lives.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:29 pm

And most liberals don't give a damn about the collateral damage these policies do to the people around us who are the least fortunate. Especially the "zero-COVID" nutjobs.
I lost my job due to COVID and landed on my feet albeit with a $30k/year pay cut. Not everyone was so lucky.
Where's your thread expressing concern over the spike in suicide rates? Can't find it.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
It is just that most conservatives don't care about how to save lives.

"People with COVID" are not the only lives that matter.
Adults in the room understand this.

casinterest

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:34 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
casinterest wrote:
It is just that most conservatives don't care about how to save lives.

"People with COVID" are not the only lives that matter.
Adults in the room understand this.

That is like people without Lung disease are not the only lives that mattered in the second hand smoke debate.
But thanks for playing.

Interestingly enough it does appear Florida is managing to spread the British variant much better. Let's watch this over the next 4 weeks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... cases.html

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:35 pm

I will be watching it.

lightsaber

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
Florida stats updated for Sun 2/28. Cases, deaths, and ILI/CLI admissions continuing downward trend.
https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

Building on the information:
I was in Florida for Thanksgiving, so much more sensible. Media claims they are hiding, but they have had that website forever with more information than my California or New York

I has been a sensible opening. Everyone wore a mask in elevators, in stores, and near old people. Everyone out on a mask when walking near anyone else with a mask on, that just seemed to be the courtesy.

But on the beach? Just keep 6 feet of distance. Eat in a restaurant, about 3 out of 8 tables or outside with spacing ans servers wore a mask and shield.

I take this seriously. I am walking around my neighborhood and at the park 60 of about a hundred people aren't wearing masks. They are congregating in clumps that certainly are tighter than six feet apart.

I just recovered from Covid-19 (out of quarantine) and even though I had it mild, I consider this unwise.

Now Florida has done well distributing vaccines. Kudos to them.

My doctors' (3 doctors) all recommend walking 7,000+ steps a day and getting some natural UV to kill the virus.
To all:
Get vaccinated and end this panic. This is a summer to play. A "3rd wave" has already started, so as soon as you can, get a vaccine.

Lightsaber
4 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:39 pm

It is refreshing to whipsaw within a thread from "DeSantis is murdering his people" to "his approach was sensible". Thank you.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:41 pm

The willingly of some people to abdicate any reasoning process and just comply with what they’re told is “science” is stunning. Yes, it is science, but it’s all risk assessment, it’s trade-offs and opportunity costs, it’s common sense. Remain apart, wear a mask reasonably (hint: wearing a mask alone in your top down convertible shows your stupid and I’ve seen it) and wash your hands, don’t touch your face. This is stuff that used to be kindergarten stuff, now stumps PhDs.

LOT767301ER

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:39 am

casinterest wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Do you know how the restaurants are all surviving? Hint it takes Government money. The only advantage Florida has over other locals is that most of the restaurants can operate outside in the winter.
The cases are there, and the deaths are still high. It is just that most conservatives don't care about how to save lives.

They are surviving down here because people like me dont subscribe to your panic porn, go out and spend cash at these places. This goes on while you are locked in your basement wherever the heck you are and opine that conservatives dont care about peoples lives while Cuomo, Wolf and Murphy shoved covid positive senior citizens right back into retirement homes. To add insult DeSantis was blasted for vaccinated the most vulnerable population before anyone first which if youre going by pure math was the most logical option.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:03 am

LOT767301ER wrote:
casinterest wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:

They are surviving down here because people like me dont subscribe to your panic porn, go out and spend cash at these places. This goes on while you are locked in your basement wherever the heck you are and opine that conservatives dont care about peoples lives while Cuomo, Wolf and Murphy shoved covid positive senior citizens right back into retirement homes. To add insult DeSantis was blasted for vaccinated the most vulnerable population before anyone first which if youre going by pure math was the most logical option.

Oh hey, it’s conservative spend-hero virtue signaling. :sarcastic: A. Don’t have basements in California B. Lots of takeout spending here to support restaurants. Many people I know can count on one hand the number of days in a month they haven’t used UberEats.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

N583JB

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:30 am

LOT767301ER wrote:
casinterest wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:

500k dead Americans in less than a year....it isn't "panic porn", it is a sad reality. Unfortunately too many people don't seem to give a damn until they are the one lying paralyzed with a tube in their throat for the last two weeks of their lives.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 am

N583JB wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:
casinterest wrote:

500k dead Americans in less than a year....it isn't "panic porn", it is a sad reality. Unfortunately too many people don't seem to give a damn until they are the one lying paralyzed with a tube in their throat for the last two weeks of their lives.

They’ll never care until it impacts one of their own.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 am

Scott Gottleib has seen enough. He is advocating for loosening restrictions. But the left is going to try to zero COVID. Watch this space. They are going to try to move the goal posts.
https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/sta ... 82502?s=21
https://twitter.com/ameshaa/status/1366 ... 12096?s=21

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:36 am

N583JB wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:
casinterest wrote:

What exactly is your point? "Lock the country down in perpetuity or until we 'eradicate COVID' because my 90 year-old grandma died" is not a convincing argument.

ltbewr

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:39 am

Let us not forget that the Super Bowl had many reasonable public health protocols for the teams and fans that limited the risk of infections.
The numbers in the USA of daily new infections/positive tests, hospitalizations and deaths are in a downward trend but they are still well above the levels in June-early September. Some reasonable protocols have to still be in place for into summer when hopefully a sufficient numbers of persons are vaccinated and have illness induced ability to fight infection.

N583JB

Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
N583JB wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:

What exactly is your point? "Lock the country down in perpetuity or until we 'eradicate COVID' because my 90 year-old grandma died" is not a convincing argument.

My point is that in a global pandemic that has killed a half million Americans (and counting), sometimes sacrifices have to be made to protect lives until the pandemic is over. I realize that you may not give a damn if your reckless actions kill innocent people, but most of us actually have a conscience and try to behave reasonably.

phatfarmlines

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:02 am

ltbewr wrote:
Let us not forget that the Super Bowl had many reasonable public health protocols for the teams and fans that limited the risk of infections.
The numbers in the USA of daily new infections/positive tests, hospitalizations and deaths are in a downward trend but they are still well above the levels in June-early September. Some reasonable protocols have to still be in place for into summer when hopefully a sufficient numbers of persons are vaccinated and have illness induced ability to fight infection.

:checkmark: This. And I believe the health care workers which were invited as spectators at Raymond James Stadium were already vaccinated.

The super spreader event that Dr. Fauci mentioned was more for those watching the games at the bars and at-home gatherings. But looking at the stats (per John Hopkins COVID map), that didn't happen at the scale that Christmas/New Year's happened, so perhaps people are starting to heed the new administration's advice.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:07 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
N583JB wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:

‘We screwed the pooch managing this thing but fuck HCWs and the elderly because I’m impatient’ is not a convincing argument either. The solution is not zero-sum and many professionals in various capacities are doing their best to find a happy medium.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:17 am

N583JB wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
N583JB wrote:

My point is that in a global pandemic that has killed a half million Americans (and counting), sometimes sacrifices have to be made to protect lives until the pandemic is over. I realize that you may not give a damn if your reckless actions kill innocent people, but most of us actually have a conscience and try to behave reasonably.

The problem is your idea of “behaving reasonably”; one, doesn’t solve anything as shown by the Cali v. Fla experience and two, hiding in your basement, garage, whatever was never supposed to stop the ultimate infection or death toll, just spread out the timeline to protect the health care.

ArcticSEA
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:19 am

THE ONLY POINT OF THE LOCKDOWN AND MANDATE WAS TO KEEP HOSPITAL CAPACITY AVAILABLE. Not to eliminate the damn virus.

cledaybuck

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:29 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N583JB wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:

The problem is your idea of “behaving reasonably”; one, doesn’t solve anything as shown by the Cali v. Fla experience and two, hiding in your basement, garage, whatever was never supposed to stop the ultimate infection or death toll, just spread out the timeline to protect the health care.

BS. If behaving responsibly didn’t matter, South Dakota wouldn’t be in the top ten for deaths per capita.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

N583JB

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:29 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
THE ONLY POINT OF THE LOCKDOWN AND MANDATE WAS TO KEEP HOSPITAL CAPACITY AVAILABLE. Not to eliminate the damn virus.

And we just saw what happens when people ignore the lockdowns and guidance....so let's not chance that again.

LOT767301ER

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:32 am

Aaron747 wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Oh hey, it’s conservative spend-hero virtue signaling. :sarcastic: A. Don’t have basements in California B. Lots of takeout spending here to support restaurants. Many people I know can count on one hand the number of days in a month they haven’t used UberEats.

Wow, I didnt know the delivery driver was coming to you with a bartender/waiter or waitress etc. so you could secure their jobs do. Must be why the unemployment rate is the same in CA as it is in FL. Sorry to burst your bubble but basements in CA are far more prevalent than in FL where they are almost nonexistent south of I-10.

You mean 500k died with COVID not due to COVID. When your average age of death is around the national age of mortality + have multiple co-morbidities there is a distinct difference.

Why would I care whether an 85 year old with 2.5 comorbidities will die today of COVID or tomorrow of heart failure? Makes no difference. I much more care about that many more people in the working age group and especially children will die of the economic/education fallout than actual COVID and that is and will be happening due to a bunch of hypochondriacs such as yourself who think they will die or kill everyone going to Olive Garden.

LOT767301ER

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:35 am

cledaybuck wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N583JB wrote:

BS. If behaving responsibly didn’t matter, South Dakota wouldn’t be in the top ten for deaths per capita.

Arent the top 4 states by deaths/1m run by lockdown crazy democrats?

N583JB

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:37 am

LOT767301ER wrote:

You mean 500k died with COVID not due to COVID. When your average age of death is around the national age of mortality + have multiple co-morbidities there is a distinct difference.

Why would I care whether an 85 year old with 2.5 comorbidities will die today of COVID or tomorrow of heart failure? Makes no difference. I much more care about that many more people in the working age group and especially children will die of the economic/education fallout than actual COVID and that is and will be happening due to a bunch of hypochondriacs such as yourself who think they will die or kill everyone going to Olive Garden.

No, that's not what I mean, and that's not what the CDC means either. COVID has killed 500,000+ Americans. People that would still be alive today had they not caught COVID. You clearly don't know how to interpret or understand data, as is evident by your careless behavior in which you are fine killing innocent people so you can enjoy unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks.

LOT767301ER

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:43 am

N583JB wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:

No, that's not what I mean, and that's not what the CDC means either. COVID has killed 500,000+ Americans. People that would still be alive today had they not caught COVID. You clearly don't know how to interpret or understand data, as is evident by your careless behavior in which you are fine killing innocent people so you can enjoy unlimited soup, salad, and breadsticks.

Whats the average age of a person that dies of COVID and how many co-morbidities do they have? Lemme know when you reply with a number.

I love soup, salad and breadsticks. I also do other dangerous things that you are incapable of doing like drive a car, go outside without a hazmat suit, drink a beer and cross a street.
Last edited by LOT767301ER on Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.