Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Flat Earthers Rejoice! (Not really)

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:28 pm

Oh man the flat Earthers are gonna have a field day with this one!

Astrophysicists have teamed up to make a new map of the Earth that is, wait for it, flat like a disc! The plot twist is the northern hemisphere is on one side and southern hemisphere is on the other. It is a top/down view of the planet. The article says it's more accurate than Mercator projections and the like, commonly found in class rooms. This new representation more accurately depicts the landmasses and doesn't depict Greenland as nearly the size of Russia. Personally I like how it can accurately and clearly depict the Great Circle concept for navigation.

And of course when laid on a surface, it's flat. ;)

https://earthsky.org/earth/astrophysici ... -world-map
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aaron747

Re: Flat Earthers Rejoice! (Not really)

Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:08 pm

Why wait for a new map? If flat earthers want to prove something, they can travel to the edge and take a damned photo for us.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

frmrCapCadet

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Much of the year it can be cloudy here in the Pacific Northwest, but for some regional peculiarity it often clears around sunset time. I laughingly explain it as the flat earthers are right: clouds above, and earth below, and as the sun descends it leaves the cloud layer and for a short time is visible until it sinks below the earth. I have not seen a meteorology study of what is really happening.

ps - at home I have always had a 12-16 inch globe which I refer to many times, most days.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

casinterest

Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Well if the Flat Earthers accept this new map, then they will have to accept that there are really two Suns. :)
Where ever you go, there you are.

c933103

Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:33 pm

I have seen this news multiple times recently but I don't get what's new here?
If anything it's just like https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630537/ this kind of map from multiple centuries ago
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Every land surveyor is a flat earther, no one does spherical trig on your land plot. As is anyone who asks on A.net why they don’t see much water when flying from NA to Asia assuming planes fly rhumb lines

ER757

Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:10 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Why wait for a new map? If flat earthers want to prove something, they can travel to the edge and take a damned photo for us.

I had that argument with a flat-earther. He grabbed his camera and stormed off saying he would go to edge of the Earth and get that photo. I am sure he'll come around eventually :D

TSS

Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:50 pm

casinterest wrote:
Well if the Flat Earthers accept this new map, then they will have to accept that there are really two Suns. :)

Some of them have been saying for a while that Australia doesn't really exist and was invented to cover up England purposely scuttling ships full of convicts in days gone by, so with this new map apparently cartographers have finally admitted that Africa and South America are fictitious as well.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

readytotaxi

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm

What are the qualifacations required to join the Flat Earth Society?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

T18

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:04 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
What are the qualifications required to join the Flat Earth Society?

Well you need to non-functional brain for one and a burning desire to reject evidence in front of ones own face.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

casinterest

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:14 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

The ability to argue the earth is flat ,but is protected by a DOME of heavens 4000 miles away.

Johnson was the president of the FES until his death in 2001.

https://lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm
"Uncle Joe (Stalin), Churchill, and Roosevelt laid the master plan to bring in the New Age under the United Nations," Johnson discloses with confidence. "The world ruling power was to be right here in this country. After the war, the world would be declared flat and Roosevelt would be elected first president of the world. When the UN Charter was drafted in San Francisco, they took the flat-earth map as their symbol."

Why declare the world flat? Johnson responds that a prophesied condition for world government (Isaiah 60:20) is that the "sun shall no more go down." This could be fulfilled by admitting that sunrise and sunset are optical illusions. The UN did adopt for its official seal a world map identical with the one on Johnson's office wall. But Franklin Roosevelt died coincident with the UN's birth, and the other imminent events described by Johnson never came about.

So basically a religious nut thought flat earth up to fulfill a prophecy, but the UN used it to prevent darkness and isolation.

You can join below if wanted .

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/hom ... he-society
Where ever you go, there you are.

alfa164

Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:32 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

Being a MAGA type should get you in...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

c933103

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm

There are some flat earth themed online forum that are open for registration although most users on those forum seems to be trying to locate and make fun of flat earthers
A placeholder line

Tugger

Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:47 pm

c933103 wrote:
T[...] although most users on those forum seems to be trying to locate and make fun of flat earthers

Well what can you possibly do with a flat earther?

Seriously, they can only be made fun of and mocked as it is impossible to have a cogent discussion with them (if you could they wouldn't be flat earthers).

They are fools (or trolls) and little else.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

c933103

Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:10 pm

Tugger wrote:
c933103 wrote:
T[...] although most users on those forum seems to be trying to locate and make fun of flat earthers

Seriously, they can only be made fun of and mocked as it is impossible to have a cogent discussion with them (if you could they wouldn't be flat earthers).

Tugg

What I mean is, those online forums have many more who are trying to search for flat earther, than the number of self claimed to be flat earther
A placeholder line

Tugger

Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:38 pm

c933103 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Tugg

What I mean is, those online forums have many more who are trying to search for flat earther, than the number of self claimed to be flat earther

Well as a straight answer, that basically makes sense as "flat earthers" are in reality a very small population, they are vastly outnumbered by normal intelligent people that understand reality.

Also most KNOW that we live in a real world in a real universe with real laws of physics, and that we all exist in and with those elemental laws (though many are still being discovered while others that are well known still not fully understood). So when someone say irrational or even blatantly stupid thoughts, we want to find them and underrstnad why they are doing such and prevent whatever damaging effect they might have from spreading. Fortunately physics is pretty clear versus things like politics etc.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

frmrCapCadet

Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 pm

Require flat earthers to live in a 2D universe, they would find it comforting. LOL
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

AerBuzz

Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:11 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Oh man the flat Earthers are gonna have a field day with this one!

Astrophysicists have teamed up to make a new map of the Earth that is, wait for it, flat like a disc! The plot twist is the northern hemisphere is on one side and southern hemisphere is on the other. It is a top/down view of the planet. The article says it's more accurate than Mercator projections and the like, commonly found in class rooms. This new representation more accurately depicts the landmasses and doesn't depict Greenland as nearly the size of Russia. Personally I like how it can accurately and clearly depict the Great Circle concept for navigation.

And of course when laid on a surface, it's flat. ;)

https://earthsky.org/earth/astrophysici ... -world-map

Oh wow, that flat world map really made me giggle out loud
Wer sich nicht bewegt, spürt seine Fesseln nicht!