Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1928
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:00 pm

In an announcement that took place in Lubbock today, Governor Greg Abbott has lifted a statewide mask mandate and is allowing all businesses to operate at 100 percent capacity. This will go into effect starting next Wednesday, and businesses will still be allowed to limit capacity or mandate masks. Also, county judges in counties with hospitalizations above the critical 15 percent threshold will be allowed to used COVID-19 mitigation strategies, but can not fine or jail people violating mask mandates. This comes as health experts are saying not to ease restrictions. It will be interesting to see if Biden will get tough on Texas and other Republican states through funding mandates and prohibiting non essential interstate travel to and from those states.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox4ne ... nesses.amp
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:02 pm

Statewide Mask Mandate in Texas has been Lifted

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/statu ... 15106?s=20
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18742
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:31 pm

Mississippi tomorrow...idiot minds think alike
I don't take responsibility at all
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:35 pm

What a mess in TX! I could see business rethinking moving there with the poor leadership in the state. The U.S. has really mishandled COVID19. The Texas "rugged individualism" is not a way to solve an actual pandemic.

I hope the state I live in limits travel from these anti mask states!
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1928
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
What a mess in TX! I could see business rethinking moving there with the poor leadership in the state. The U.S. has really mishandled COVID19. The Texas "rugged individualism" is not a way to solve an actual pandemic.

I hope the state I live in limits travel from these anti mask states!

What state do you live in?
 
luckyone
Posts: 4012
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 pm

Well that's cute. Great that their numbers are doing well and vaccinations appear to be having an impact. But what's really cute is the fact that people who think like that scream about personal liberty and then cash the federal cheque that the rest of us get to pay for. Guess we'll see if Texas takes anymore federal money for healthcare should its hospital become full again. And honestly, a mask is literally the least depriving thing somebody can do. Some people just confuse freedom for unrestrained self-indulgence.
 
Tiredofhumanity
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:05 pm

Looks like Greg and Ronnie are getting this year's spring gift for other states ready, this time with even more mutations and months ahead of schedule! :banghead: :banghead: :tombstone:
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18742
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:08 pm

luckyone wrote:
Well that's cute. Great that their numbers are doing well and vaccinations appear to be having an impact. But what's really cute is the fact that people who think like that scream about personal liberty and then cash the federal cheque that the rest of us get to pay for. Guess we'll see if Texas takes anymore federal money for healthcare should its hospital become full again. And honestly, a mask is literally the least depriving thing somebody can do. Some people just confuse freedom for unrestrained self-indulgence.

Y'all come to Texas! Between our handling of the winter storm that broke the state and throwing front line workers under the bus, living here is 2 die for!
I don't take responsibility at all
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pm

https://open.texas.gov/uploads/files/or ... 2-2021.pdf

The Texas Executive Order of March 2, 2021
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4277
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
county judges in counties with hospitalizations above the critical 15 percent threshold will be allowed to used COVID-19 mitigation strategies, but can not fine or jail people violating mask mandates.

So how would the rules be enforced?
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15639
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:23 pm

Texas has some of the nation’s most talented front line HCWs. What a nasty slap in the face to them this is. :sarcastic:
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Mississippi tomorrow...idiot minds think alike


Mississippi Mask Burning !!

https://twitter.com/politico/status/136 ... 16449?s=20
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 pm

Looks like they took dark red color coding as a good thing.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:33 pm

And just today it was revealed that Houston is the first major city to report the presence of every single COVID strain.

Way to go Texas!
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13817
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 pm

As we look to turn the corner and have vaccines able to be distributed by June, Texas goes ahead and says hold my beer just in time for Spring Break, and the chance to kill a few more Texans.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
alfa164
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Y'all come to Texas! Between our handling of the winter storm that broke the state and throwing front line workers under the bus, living here is 2 die for!


Don't think the two are unrelated. Abbott needs something to take the attention away from the State's abysmal handling of the winter storm.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
Tiredofhumanity
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
As we look to turn the corner and have vaccines able to be distributed by June, Texas goes ahead and says hold my beer just in time for Spring Break, and the chance to kill a few more Texans.


Not just Texans, but Americans outside of the state too. Greg already pulled this same exact sh!t last April, remember, and look where that went.

I love it how federal law is more concerned about a 16/17 year old crossing state lines to see her older boyfriend (assuming she is above the age of consent in both states), but the feds are powerless during a massive health crisis over the states when requiring a piece of material to be worn over the face in public places.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:25 pm

The world is not going to end.

I say this because here in Florida there is no such thing as a mask mandate, and everything with the exception of theme parks and large venues is 100% open.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2807
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:31 pm

alfa164 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Y'all come to Texas! Between our handling of the winter storm that broke the state and throwing front line workers under the bus, living here is 2 die for!


Don't think the two are unrelated. Abbott needs something to take the attention away from the State's abysmal handling of the winter storm.


This. Totally this.

It’s nothing but a distraction from Abbott’s political problems.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2237
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:08 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
This comes as health experts are saying not to ease restrictions.

When it comes to the "health experts" and their ultra-cautious approach you'll be waiting forever to get the go head to get back to normal. Folks like Fauci keep moving the goal posts (he's now saying we'll need to wear masks through 2022).
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22676
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:39 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
The world is not going to end.

I say this because here in Florida there is no such thing as a mask mandate, and everything with the exception of theme parks and large venues is 100% open.

Florida has been sane as common courtesy was allowed to prevail. People wear masks in businesses, but not on the sidewalk unless there is a person wearing a mask (usually elderly) then people kindly put on masks to protect that person. Everyone walked far from each other instead of masks, that works for me! (I love Florida).

If Texas can be sane, which I don't doubt they will be, no problem.

Both have free natural UV to kill viruses...

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18742
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
The world is not going to end.

I say this because here in Florida there is no such thing as a mask mandate, and everything with the exception of theme parks and large venues is 100% open.

Desantis is killing people twice as fast as states like Washington or Utah. But on the bright side Florida’s economy is also faring far worse than those states too. There is no limit to the bodies pro life conservatives will crawl over to convince stupid people they picked up a plastic penny.

lightsaber wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
The world is not going to end.

I say this because here in Florida there is no such thing as a mask mandate, and everything with the exception of theme parks and large venues is 100% open.

Florida has been sane as common courtesy was allowed to prevail. People wear masks in businesses, but not on the sidewalk unless there is a person wearing a mask (usually elderly) then people kindly put on masks to protect that person. Everyone walked far from each other instead of masks, that works for me! (I love Florida).

If Texas can be sane, which I don't doubt they will be, no problem.

Both have free natural UV to kill viruses...

Lightsaber

No one has ever libeled Texas or Florida as "sane". Texas is dumb but very confident about it, and Florida is the same but with meth. That said Florida has killed far more people than it could have with "sane" measures, and its economy has not reaped any benefit because of that body count. But doing the barest of minimal preventative measures, vaccines, and common courtesy for your fellow citizens are all political kryptonite to today's conservatives so I wouldn't expect anything else.

mke717spotter wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
This comes as health experts are saying not to ease restrictions.

When it comes to the "health experts" and their ultra-cautious approach you'll be waiting forever to get the go head to get back to normal.

Many countries around the world would prove that to be false. We killed far more people than necessary because of sheer stupidity from the top down. Our death rate is literally 3x higher than Canada, all for no material benefit, as if there could be any benefit to offset killing people 3 times faster.
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14395
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:00 am

If businesses cared about their customers and employees they would have temperature scanners and would enforce their own mandate that nobody can come in without a mask. I am little disappointed in Governor Abbott, I think he jumped the gun a bit. Better to have left it in place for a few more months.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
CometII
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 6:02 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:21 am

Are members of the (R) party just crazy by rason of an actual clinical condition, or crazy by reason of a complete blind tribalism and idolatry of dogma?

After all, any person with an ounce of reason in their brain would conclude he should removed from office if he is doing this out of rational thought, or removed from office by reason of mental faculties compromised if not. This is a guy who rails against any federal intrusion and imposition upon states. And yet, he is one of the most prolific abusers of orders imposing the "state" over local counties and municipalites. The fact people who support him cannot admit to the complete hypocrisy of this just proves how unhinged into blind cult and tribalism they have gone down into.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15639
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 am

mke717spotter wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
This comes as health experts are saying not to ease restrictions.

When it comes to the "health experts" and their ultra-cautious approach you'll be waiting forever to get the go head to get back to normal. Folks like Fauci keep moving the goal posts (he's now saying we'll need to wear masks through 2022).


How about nah. Thanks to robust contact tracing and mask mandate, Taiwan had fully reopened its domestic economy by last August, and have had only a couple minor flare-ups since from overseas travelers who broke quarantine. We look like rank amateurs compared to what was accomplished there. And none of this ‘but islands don’t count’ nonsense - any developed economy part of major global trade has the same risk factors.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
tomaheath
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:32 am

I think this is fantastic. Florida is doing great so can Texas. I live in New Hampshire we have a mask mandate but it’s not enforced Governor said that there would be no “masks police” the second I’m outside my mask comes off. I’ve been told in the northern part of the state that some businesses have a “live free or die” sticker on the door saying masks are not required I personally haven’t seen one.
 
LNCS0930
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:41 am

It’s a meaningless move. Businesses in Democratic areas will continue forcing masks while those in conservative ones won’t. I visited both Dallas and Atlanta the last 6 weeks and I’m not kidding that once you got outside the downtown areas there was literally nobody wearing masks walking in or out of restaurants other than the employees
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1956
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:17 am

LNCS0930 wrote:
It’s a meaningless move. Businesses in Democratic areas will continue forcing masks while those in conservative ones won’t. I visited both Dallas and Atlanta the last 6 weeks and I’m not kidding that once you got outside the downtown areas there was literally nobody wearing masks walking in or out of restaurants other than the employees


Another reason for guidelines at the federal level instead of state, and concur about the disparities between mask usage in the inner city (and suburbs too) vs exurb/rural areas.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Biden will get tough on Texas and other Republican states through funding mandates and prohibiting non essential interstate travel to and from those states.


Based on Biden's actions so far, he is playing the diplomacy card with the Reps while the Reps continue to tarnish his name. Notice this action comes after the CPAC conference in Orlando, which was nothing more than a Biden roast and Trump declaring he'll win a third time in 2024. I say get tough with Texas and take the reigns from Abbott (and other Republican states looking to do the same).
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1928
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:26 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
It’s a meaningless move. Businesses in Democratic areas will continue forcing masks while those in conservative ones won’t. I visited both Dallas and Atlanta the last 6 weeks and I’m not kidding that once you got outside the downtown areas there was literally nobody wearing masks walking in or out of restaurants other than the employees


Another reason for guidelines at the federal level instead of state, and concur about the disparities between mask usage in the inner city (and suburbs too) vs exurb/rural areas.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Biden will get tough on Texas and other Republican states through funding mandates and prohibiting non essential interstate travel to and from those states.


Based on Biden's actions so far, he is playing the diplomacy card with the Reps while the Reps continue to tarnish his name. Notice this action comes after the CPAC conference in Orlando, which was nothing more than a Biden roast and Trump declaring he'll win a third time in 2024. I say get tough with Texas and take the reigns from Abbott (and other Republican states looking to do the same).

How do you propose Biden get tough on states like Texas, Florida, Georgia, and South Dakota?
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:30 am

Is there sense that mask mandates are no longer needed as vaccination is so successful, or is this a "freedom" issue? My borther in law had been double masking every time he left the house, but has now had two doses of Pfizer so may have changed (I'll need to ask).

In my home state there are a small minority of people railing against a mask manadate on public transport, and in places such as cinemas.

But we've eliminated Covid-19 in the community for 45 days now, so it's less of a critical issue.

Some of the thing happening in the northern hemisphere truly appear insane, or at least entirely disrespectful of the health of communities
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15779
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:14 am

This just proves that the structure of the USA government is horribly flawed with politics and money exceeding common sense.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15639
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:50 am

tomaheath wrote:
I think this is fantastic. Florida is doing great so can Texas. I live in New Hampshire we have a mask mandate but it’s not enforced Governor said that there would be no “masks police” the second I’m outside my mask comes off. I’ve been told in the northern part of the state that some businesses have a “live free or die” sticker on the door saying masks are not required I personally haven’t seen one.


You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. Putting 'great' in the same sentence with FL and TX is ridiculous, especially speaking from NH, which is middle of the pack. Staying in the top 10 of states where cases per capita are high and remain high is not 'great' - FL is 7th worst out of the top 10, and TX 9th worst. Not to mention there are more than 30 counties between FL and TX that represent some of the worst hotspots in the country.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... tml#states
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2237
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:14 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Thanks to robust contact tracing and mask mandate, Taiwan had fully reopened its domestic economy by last August, and have had only a couple minor flare-ups since from overseas travelers who broke quarantine. We look like rank amateurs compared to what was accomplished there. And none of this ‘but islands don’t count’ nonsense - any developed economy part of major global trade has the same risk factors.

You've brought up Taiwan before, but I think its naive to make a simple comparison between the two. Yes, Trump repeatedly downplayed the severity of the virus and the initial response in spring of last year could have been better, but its more complicated than that.

1.) Despite what you may think, it is definitely easier for a smaller, island country like Taiwan to control an outbreak. The US is a big country, both in terms of size and population. Think about how many entry points there are into the country (air, land, sea) and then all the additional movement of people that goes on inside the border. With how contagious this disease is, its inevitable that the contract tracing system was eventually going to be overwhelmed.

2.) For better or worse, individualism and civil liberties are big values in America. It may sound crude but other nations in the world have a much higher degree of control over their populations. A lot of Americans wouldn't stand for some of these long, strict lockdowns that have happened elsewhere. Also, in the US model of government (federalism) more power rests with the individual states, so that was always going to make it more difficult for Washington to mandate a blanket approach.

3.) Yes, the US has the most deaths total, but when you adjust for population size its not like we have some sort of runaway lead. In fact, the UK, Italy, and Belgium are worse off. Many other countries' statistics (France, Spain, Brazil) aren't that much better compared to the US so I think the point is that most of the planet got hit hard by this and the vast majority struggled to slow the spread. There are some places, like Taiwan, that haven't been affected as severely but they are the exception.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15639
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:59 am

mke717spotter wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Thanks to robust contact tracing and mask mandate, Taiwan had fully reopened its domestic economy by last August, and have had only a couple minor flare-ups since from overseas travelers who broke quarantine. We look like rank amateurs compared to what was accomplished there. And none of this ‘but islands don’t count’ nonsense - any developed economy part of major global trade has the same risk factors.

You've brought up Taiwan before, but I think its naive to make a simple comparison between the two. Yes, Trump repeatedly downplayed the severity of the virus and the initial response in spring of last year could have been better, but its more complicated than that.

1.) Despite what you may think, it is definitely easier for a smaller, island country like Taiwan to control an outbreak. The US is a big country, both in terms of size and population. Think about how many entry points there are into the country (air, land, sea) and then all the additional movement of people that goes on inside the border. With how contagious this disease is, its inevitable that the contract tracing system was eventually going to be overwhelmed.

2.) For better or worse, individualism and civil liberties are big values in America. It may sound crude but other nations in the world have a much higher degree of control over their populations. A lot of Americans wouldn't stand for some of these long, strict lockdowns that have happened elsewhere. Also, in the US model of government (federalism) more power rests with the individual states, so that was always going to make it more difficult for Washington to mandate a blanket approach.

3.) Yes, the US has the most deaths total, but when you adjust for population size its not like we have some sort of runaway lead. In fact, the UK, Italy, and Belgium are worse off. Many other countries' statistics (France, Spain, Brazil) aren't that much better compared to the US so I think the point is that most of the planet got hit hard by this and the vast majority struggled to slow the spread. There are some places, like Taiwan, that haven't been affected as severely but they are the exception.


1. When you extrapolate Taiwan (24m people, multiple airports and seaports of entry, heavily used highway and train system, densely populated - 80% urban) it is not terribly different from larger US states. The US is a big country, but as you point out, its performance is more or less dependent on state management. A coordinated and competent response could easily produce much better results - see Canada and Australia below. Saying if we had 35 states like Taiwan, especially the largest ones, the world would be amazed by our response to the crisis and the economy would be largely open by last autumn.

2. This is the primary difference in my view - refusal of many Americans to do their part for selfish reasons. I know better than experts, 'authorities' are impinging my freedom, whatever. You are correct in that we end up middle of the pack in per capita deaths due to our large population, but that doesn't change the fact that our overall response looks amateurish compared to the perception America puts out to the rest of the world that we lead in everything-competence. This was an opportunity to show our world-leading abilities, but that didn't appear anywhere except the pharma development sphere.

3. As I said many times before, we chose to be more like Italy and Brazil than the countries who were responding well. Canada and Australia have similar political divisions and individualist sentiments to Americans, but they have implemented coordinated responses a fair bit better than the US. Australia recognized early that PR campaigns were necessary to move public sentiment, and some states did excellent ads promoting mask wearing with taglines like 'I would like to go out to eat with my friends ASAP - the more we mask up, the faster we can all do that'.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14626
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:01 am

Aaron747 wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Thanks to robust contact tracing and mask mandate, Taiwan had fully reopened its domestic economy by last August, and have had only a couple minor flare-ups since from overseas travelers who broke quarantine. We look like rank amateurs compared to what was accomplished there. And none of this ‘but islands don’t count’ nonsense - any developed economy part of major global trade has the same risk factors.

You've brought up Taiwan before, but I think its naive to make a simple comparison between the two. Yes, Trump repeatedly downplayed the severity of the virus and the initial response in spring of last year could have been better, but its more complicated than that.

1.) Despite what you may think, it is definitely easier for a smaller, island country like Taiwan to control an outbreak. The US is a big country, both in terms of size and population. Think about how many entry points there are into the country (air, land, sea) and then all the additional movement of people that goes on inside the border. With how contagious this disease is, its inevitable that the contract tracing system was eventually going to be overwhelmed.

2.) For better or worse, individualism and civil liberties are big values in America. It may sound crude but other nations in the world have a much higher degree of control over their populations. A lot of Americans wouldn't stand for some of these long, strict lockdowns that have happened elsewhere. Also, in the US model of government (federalism) more power rests with the individual states, so that was always going to make it more difficult for Washington to mandate a blanket approach.

3.) Yes, the US has the most deaths total, but when you adjust for population size its not like we have some sort of runaway lead. In fact, the UK, Italy, and Belgium are worse off. Many other countries' statistics (France, Spain, Brazil) aren't that much better compared to the US so I think the point is that most of the planet got hit hard by this and the vast majority struggled to slow the spread. There are some places, like Taiwan, that haven't been affected as severely but they are the exception.


1. When you extrapolate Taiwan (24m people, multiple airports and seaports of entry, heavily used highway and train system, densely populated - 80% urban) it is not terribly different from larger US states. The US is a big country, but as you point out, its performance is more or less dependent on state management. A coordinated and competent response could easily produce much better results - see Canada and Australia below. Saying if we had 35 states like Taiwan, especially the largest ones, the world would be amazed by our response to the crisis and the economy would be largely open by last autumn..


add to that A LOT of travel from and to the mainland.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1202
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:33 am

Covid response has primarily been about emotions, politics and psychology. The virus itself doesn't care about politics or emotions, or psychology. It is striking very hard in California as we speak, despite their belief they are "doing everything right." It doesn't matter what they feel, emotionally or politically.

Vaccination will ultimately pull COVID deaths down. The US and Western Europe are going to be out of this soon. And I think some people are really sad about that.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15639
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:16 am

LCDFlight wrote:
Covid response has primarily been about emotions, politics and psychology. The virus itself doesn't care about politics or emotions, or psychology. It is striking very hard in California as we speak, despite their belief they are "doing everything right." It doesn't matter what they feel, emotionally or politically.

Vaccination will ultimately pull COVID deaths down. The US and Western Europe are going to be out of this soon. And I think some people are really sad about that.


Who the hell would feel down about getting out of this mess? Anyone that does is insane.

As for 'striking very hard' in CA, the situation is much improved since 5 weeks ago. Many in this state learned from the disaster that was the holidays and masked/buttoned right back up. CA has dropped to 43rd nationally in 7-day moving average, though deaths are still unacceptably high (still in top 10 states per capita) no thanks to SoCal counties that shat the bed - virtually all except San Diego utterly failed in mitigation.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
N757ST
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 am

LCDFlight wrote:
Covid response has primarily been about emotions, politics and psychology. The virus itself doesn't care about politics or emotions, or psychology. It is striking very hard in California as we speak, despite their belief they are "doing everything right." It doesn't matter what they feel, emotionally or politically.

Vaccination will ultimately pull COVID deaths down. The US and Western Europe are going to be out of this soon. And I think some people are really sad about that.


My personal feelings are at this point states should keep mask mandates until June 1 if Biden’s commitment to provide every American a vaccine by then is accurate. Almost every state should be, at the very least, in the process of staged reopening so that we can fully reopen mid June. At that point there should be zero restrictions on anything, including domestic travel. International travel I can understand will be restricted to those that have a vaccine and/or a PCR test. If everyone has access then we should not be coddling those that don’t want the vaccine and are unwilling to take it. June 1 should be your final decision date... get the vaccine, risk getting the virus, or shelter in perpetuity. I fear some of our governors will continue travel restrictions, plexiglass barriers at the bar, and mask mandates well into the fall of ‘21 and perhaps 2022. Sorry, I’m not interested in a new normal. If you want to wear a mask so be it, and culturally I think if you’re sick it’d be nice if it’s now acceptable and expected that you mask up in public, but I have little interest beyond that in participating in a new normal. Perhaps Texas was a bit quick to jump the gun, but when every American has access to a vaccine by May, I expect and demand that every other state follows suit. Yes, Americans generally demand personal liberty, so these infringements of that were very difficult to stomach over the last 12 months. I’d personally like to be done with them, but I also had the privilege of receiving my vaccine early due to my profession. I think everyone should have the same opportunity I had to get the inoculation, but at that point I expect you to stop hindering our return to normal even if you’re not comfortable.... stay home at that point.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:59 am

Aaron747 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
I think this is fantastic. Florida is doing great so can Texas. I live in New Hampshire we have a mask mandate but it’s not enforced Governor said that there would be no “masks police” the second I’m outside my mask comes off. I’ve been told in the northern part of the state that some businesses have a “live free or die” sticker on the door saying masks are not required I personally haven’t seen one.


You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. Putting 'great' in the same sentence with FL and TX is ridiculous, especially speaking from NH, which is middle of the pack. Staying in the top 10 of states where cases per capita are high and remain high is not 'great' - FL is 7th worst out of the top 10, and TX 9th worst. Not to mention there are more than 30 counties between FL and TX that represent some of the worst hotspots in the country.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... tml#states

When I say “doing great “ I means I regards to businesses being open.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15639
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:01 pm

N757ST wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Covid response has primarily been about emotions, politics and psychology. The virus itself doesn't care about politics or emotions, or psychology. It is striking very hard in California as we speak, despite their belief they are "doing everything right." It doesn't matter what they feel, emotionally or politically.

Vaccination will ultimately pull COVID deaths down. The US and Western Europe are going to be out of this soon. And I think some people are really sad about that.


My personal feelings are at this point states should keep mask mandates until June 1 if Biden’s commitment to provide every American a vaccine by then is accurate. Almost every state should be, at the very least, in the process of staged reopening so that we can fully reopen mid June. At that point there should be zero restrictions on anything, including domestic travel. International travel I can understand will be restricted to those that have a vaccine and/or a PCR test. If everyone has access then we should not be coddling those that don’t want the vaccine and are unwilling to take it. June 1 should be your final decision date... get the vaccine, risk getting the virus, or shelter in perpetuity. I fear some of our governors will continue travel restrictions, plexiglass barriers at the bar, and mask mandates well into the fall of ‘21 and perhaps 2022. Sorry, I’m not interested in a new normal. If you want to wear a mask so be it, and culturally I think if you’re sick it’d be nice if it’s now acceptable and expected that you mask up in public, but I have little interest beyond that in participating in a new normal. Perhaps Texas was a bit quick to jump the gun, but when every American has access to a vaccine by May, I expect and demand that every other state follows suit. Yes, Americans generally demand personal liberty, so these infringements of that were very difficult to stomach over the last 12 months. I’d personally like to be done with them, but I also had the privilege of receiving my vaccine early due to my profession. I think everyone should have the same opportunity I had to get the inoculation, but at that point I expect you to stop hindering our return to normal even if you’re not comfortable.... stay home at that point.


Agreed for the most part...people should definitely learn from this and mask up when they have a cold/flu etc. going forward. It works very well in Asia and would be appreciated by many who have to work/school with people who never call in sick for various reasons.

Though I would say the 'infringements' were not that hard to handle. Maybe it helps being in a sunny place where one can drive to a lot of nature, but people have been griping too much. Nobody was listening apparently to the 'greatest generation' when they told of going several years without butter, various dry goods, and household metals.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
N757ST
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:24 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N757ST wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Covid response has primarily been about emotions, politics and psychology. The virus itself doesn't care about politics or emotions, or psychology. It is striking very hard in California as we speak, despite their belief they are "doing everything right." It doesn't matter what they feel, emotionally or politically.

Vaccination will ultimately pull COVID deaths down. The US and Western Europe are going to be out of this soon. And I think some people are really sad about that.


My personal feelings are at this point states should keep mask mandates until June 1 if Biden’s commitment to provide every American a vaccine by then is accurate. Almost every state should be, at the very least, in the process of staged reopening so that we can fully reopen mid June. At that point there should be zero restrictions on anything, including domestic travel. International travel I can understand will be restricted to those that have a vaccine and/or a PCR test. If everyone has access then we should not be coddling those that don’t want the vaccine and are unwilling to take it. June 1 should be your final decision date... get the vaccine, risk getting the virus, or shelter in perpetuity. I fear some of our governors will continue travel restrictions, plexiglass barriers at the bar, and mask mandates well into the fall of ‘21 and perhaps 2022. Sorry, I’m not interested in a new normal. If you want to wear a mask so be it, and culturally I think if you’re sick it’d be nice if it’s now acceptable and expected that you mask up in public, but I have little interest beyond that in participating in a new normal. Perhaps Texas was a bit quick to jump the gun, but when every American has access to a vaccine by May, I expect and demand that every other state follows suit. Yes, Americans generally demand personal liberty, so these infringements of that were very difficult to stomach over the last 12 months. I’d personally like to be done with them, but I also had the privilege of receiving my vaccine early due to my profession. I think everyone should have the same opportunity I had to get the inoculation, but at that point I expect you to stop hindering our return to normal even if you’re not comfortable.... stay home at that point.


Agreed for the most part...people should definitely learn from this and mask up when they have a cold/flu etc. going forward. It works very well in Asia and would be appreciated by many who have to work/school with people who never call in sick for various reasons.

Though I would say the 'infringements' were not that hard to handle. Maybe it helps being in a sunny place where one can drive to a lot of nature, but people have been griping too much. Nobody was listening apparently to the 'greatest generation' when they told of going several years without butter, various dry goods, and household metals.



Oh please. Stop. Yes, there were certainly infringements. What if you owned a restaurant? What if you were an essential worker and you relied on a schooling for your kid? What about the owner of a concert venue? A stadium? What if you wanted to travel to your relative a state away with a travel restriction? (Pshh... I’m in the northeast., would you feel the same “there’s no restrictions” if you couldn’t travel out of LA county?) My cousin got a $1000 dollar ticket for traveling to Maine without a PCR, from Connecticut 2 hours away... Since when should the government force your bar to close, force your restaurant to eliminate all indoor dining, jail you for holding a social gathering? I understand why it was done, but just because you can still visit nature doesn’t take away from the fact that these were government restrictions that should not exist. Again, I get why they happened and I went along with it, but as soon we have a solution available to everyone, the vaccine, we should be absolutely done with all this crap and should be back to normal. Then, just wait for the legal challenges that will and should be brought up. Emergency powers for over a year for Governors, ruling outside of a legislature... that’s NOT how we are supposed to be governed. I’m all about protecting others with common sense law, but there’s a point when we give up too much liberty and give too much power to the government. If this is temporary then alright, it happened and let’s move on, but I have little intention of coddling a scared population in perpetuity. The solution exists, it’s being distributed, and once it has been distributed then be done with it all, even if there is still some risk. We cannot eliminate all risk from life, and that was NEVER the point.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1202
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:44 pm

My main objection has been the schools. I would rather have seen schools open and prepare the necessary hospital space, along with digging the necessary graves. Digging graves for sick people who die of natural causes is much, much better than closing schools. Which, to my knowledge, has never been done before.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 pm

N757ST wrote:
Oh please. Stop. Yes, there were certainly infringements. What if you owned a restaurant? What if you were an essential worker and you relied on a schooling for your kid? What about the owner of a concert venue? A stadium? What if you wanted to travel to your relative a state away with a travel restriction? (Pshh... I’m in the northeast., would you feel the same “there’s no restrictions” if you couldn’t travel out of LA county?) My cousin got a $1000 dollar ticket for traveling to Maine without a PCR, from Connecticut 2 hours away... Since when should the government force your bar to close, force your restaurant to eliminate all indoor dining, jail you for holding a social gathering? I understand why it was done, but just because you can still visit nature doesn’t take away from the fact that these were government restrictions that should not exist. Again, I get why they happened and I went along with it, but as soon we have a solution available to everyone, the vaccine, we should be absolutely done with all this crap and should be back to normal. Then, just wait for the legal challenges that will and should be brought up. Emergency powers for over a year for Governors, ruling outside of a legislature... that’s NOT how we are supposed to be governed. I’m all about protecting others with common sense law, but there’s a point when we give up too much liberty and give too much power to the government. If this is temporary then alright, it happened and let’s move on, but I have little intention of coddling a scared population in perpetuity. The solution exists, it’s being distributed, and once it has been distributed then be done with it all, even if there is still some risk. We cannot eliminate all risk from life, and that was NEVER the point.


When most of the economy is built on non-essential, extracurricular discretionary spending, that's what happens.
Except schooling for kids whose parents cannot WFH, your list is pretty much not essential.

Texas is feeding to your perceived freedom thought process. They haven't even seen the nano ice age surge, they want to prove it is the destination if you want to move there.

Not to be outdone, Michigan relaxed dine-in to 50%, mall capacity to 50%, and one can visit nursing homes now, you know to just speed up the inheritance process for a bunch of people.

Opening up is a race to the bottom.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:52 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
When it comes to the "health experts" and their ultra-cautious approach you'll be waiting forever to get the go head to get back to normal. Folks like Fauci keep moving the goal posts (he's now saying we'll need to wear masks through 2022).


Part of that is driven by our complete inability to do anything as a collective. The fractured way every state did something different just makes it worse. WI is a great example of both.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
slider
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:20 pm

For those who think this is a dumb idea, fine. Stay out of Texas. Don't come here, don't move here. To each his own. That's the glory about personal liberty--you can wear a mask if you choose, patronize those places you feel are being safer than others, etc.

I just find it hilariously hypocritical that the leftists are freaking out here and clutching their pearls, but don't blink an eye about unmasked, unvetted, or untested illegal immigrants coming into the States unchecked.

Once again, the issue is about power and politics and not public health.

Time to try to salvage some of the hundreds of thousands of small businesses that have suffered or gone down through this and get back proper mental health, emotional states, and reclaim a way of life that was destroyed.
 
N757ST
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
N757ST wrote:
Oh please. Stop. Yes, there were certainly infringements. What if you owned a restaurant? What if you were an essential worker and you relied on a schooling for your kid? What about the owner of a concert venue? A stadium? What if you wanted to travel to your relative a state away with a travel restriction? (Pshh... I’m in the northeast., would you feel the same “there’s no restrictions” if you couldn’t travel out of LA county?) My cousin got a $1000 dollar ticket for traveling to Maine without a PCR, from Connecticut 2 hours away... Since when should the government force your bar to close, force your restaurant to eliminate all indoor dining, jail you for holding a social gathering? I understand why it was done, but just because you can still visit nature doesn’t take away from the fact that these were government restrictions that should not exist. Again, I get why they happened and I went along with it, but as soon we have a solution available to everyone, the vaccine, we should be absolutely done with all this crap and should be back to normal. Then, just wait for the legal challenges that will and should be brought up. Emergency powers for over a year for Governors, ruling outside of a legislature... that’s NOT how we are supposed to be governed. I’m all about protecting others with common sense law, but there’s a point when we give up too much liberty and give too much power to the government. If this is temporary then alright, it happened and let’s move on, but I have little intention of coddling a scared population in perpetuity. The solution exists, it’s being distributed, and once it has been distributed then be done with it all, even if there is still some risk. We cannot eliminate all risk from life, and that was NEVER the point.


When most of the economy is built on non-essential, extracurricular discretionary spending, that's what happens.
Except schooling for kids whose parents cannot WFH, your list is pretty much not essential.

Texas is feeding to your perceived freedom thought process. They haven't even seen the nano ice age surge, they want to prove it is the destination if you want to move there.

Not to be outdone, Michigan relaxed dine-in to 50%, mall capacity to 50%, and one can visit nursing homes now, you know to just speed up the inheritance process for a bunch of people.

Opening up is a race to the bottom.


Sorry, I didn’t realize the government should have the ability to limit you to doing only doing necessary things. Maybe we should do this for every flu season to? Save everybody, think we can eliminate 60,000 deaths per year. Vaccines are available to everyone soon, but just in case we should wear masks in perpetuity and keep restrictions going in perpetuity? Again, once the vaccine is available to everyone there is zero excuse not to open this thing up. At that point if you want to stay home then go ahead, but I’d like to start enjoying “non essential” things that were perfectly legal 1 year ago without the threat of a ticket or arrest.
 
slider
Posts: 7750
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
N757ST wrote:
Oh please. Stop. Yes, there were certainly infringements. What if you owned a restaurant? What if you were an essential worker and you relied on a schooling for your kid? What about the owner of a concert venue? A stadium? What if you wanted to travel to your relative a state away with a travel restriction? (Pshh... I’m in the northeast., would you feel the same “there’s no restrictions” if you couldn’t travel out of LA county?) My cousin got a $1000 dollar ticket for traveling to Maine without a PCR, from Connecticut 2 hours away... Since when should the government force your bar to close, force your restaurant to eliminate all indoor dining, jail you for holding a social gathering? I understand why it was done, but just because you can still visit nature doesn’t take away from the fact that these were government restrictions that should not exist. Again, I get why they happened and I went along with it, but as soon we have a solution available to everyone, the vaccine, we should be absolutely done with all this crap and should be back to normal. Then, just wait for the legal challenges that will and should be brought up. Emergency powers for over a year for Governors, ruling outside of a legislature... that’s NOT how we are supposed to be governed. I’m all about protecting others with common sense law, but there’s a point when we give up too much liberty and give too much power to the government. If this is temporary then alright, it happened and let’s move on, but I have little intention of coddling a scared population in perpetuity. The solution exists, it’s being distributed, and once it has been distributed then be done with it all, even if there is still some risk. We cannot eliminate all risk from life, and that was NEVER the point.


When most of the economy is built on non-essential, extracurricular discretionary spending, that's what happens.


If a job exists and has been created in this free market economy, then it is essential. Fixed it for you.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5882
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:35 pm

This will make for an interesting experiment.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12529
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Yeah, don't listen to experts, what do they know.............
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5882
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Mask Mandate in Texas Lifted

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Well, I wasn't being sarcastic.
It probably will give us some decent indication on whether the virus spreads differently in Texas with little to no restrictions compared to other states which mandate tougher mask rules, lock downs and business closures.

To be honest, I wouldn't risk a verdict just yet...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GDB, Mortyman and 31 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos