Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8167
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm

So, I’m COVID positive with symptoms. So is my daughter. Wife and son are positive but asymptomatic.

I was the first positive, but I think it was my daughter that brought it home. Regardless, the day after I tested positive on the rapid test, I received a phone call from the health department providing me with an isolation order, and questioned me about onset of symptoms and my whereabouts over the last 2 weeks. Fine, I get it.

Our employers are major employers in the area and have their own contact tracing in place, and specific protocols that are followed. The schools were notified and within minutes we received emails from the schools telling us when the kids could go back.

My issue is the state health department. They call each of us everyday...me twice, because my son is a minor. They ask the same questions that were asked on the first day. They ask about the symptoms. “Do you still have a fever?” “No, I never had a fever, I’ve mentioned that for the last 4 days”. “What about your diarrhea?” “I don’t have diarrhea, nor did I have it. Don’t you folks have this written down?” This goes on and on. The only symptoms I had were fatigue and general body aches. Nothing else.

This information was passed on to the initial interviewer, yet these folks continually ask me the same questions.

I understand that they’d like to monitor progress, but if they don’t record the baseline, what’s the point?

Now here’s a fun one. I can not leave isolation if I take acetaminophen or ibuprofen the 24 hours prior to my end date. I have to be fever free without meds. I’ve never had a fever. I take ibuprofen everyday under doctor’s direction due to a problem with my shoulder/neck resulting from my cancer surgery.

They won’t release me if I say I’m taking the drugs. It’s supposedly a crime to lie to these folks. So, what to do?

It’s a wonder anything gets done.

Oh, and don’t ask them to handle 2 folks at once...”let me save you the phone call and we can talk about my son, who is also positive and in isolation”. “Sorry, he’s not on my list, someone else will call about him.”

Every-damn-day.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:28 pm

I'm glad I got the vaccine
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
tu204
Posts: 2218
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Answer is simple, there's a cool phrase for it in Russian - "Изображение бурной деятельности". Translates to something like "do pointless actions but make it look like something is being done".

After all with all the money being blown you gotta make it look like work is being done to justify it.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8167
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:25 pm

tu204 wrote:
Translates to something like "do pointless actions but make it look like something is being done".


At work we call it “making visual progress”. We'll push an aircraft out if the hangar before it’s done and finish it up outside just to make it look like progress has been made.

That’s all these phone calls are, visual progress on the tally sheet.

New question today...since the last interview (that’s what they call these phone calls) have you had the COVID vaccine? “You mean, in the last 24 hours, did I break isolation, so I can get a vaccine, that I’m not yet eligible for, for a disease that I currently have?” “No, I have not.”
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13069
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:41 pm

fr8mech wrote:
tu204 wrote:
Translates to something like "do pointless actions but make it look like something is being done".


At work we call it “making visual progress”. We'll push an aircraft out if the hangar before it’s done and finish it up outside just to make it look like progress has been made.

That’s all these phone calls are, visual progress on the tally sheet.

New question today...since the last interview (that’s what they call these phone calls) have you had the COVID vaccine? “You mean, in the last 24 hours, did I break isolation, so I can get a vaccine, that I’m not yet eligible for, for a disease that I currently have?” “No, I have not.”



It seems tedious to you as your answers are known, but for data analysis the issue is in the anomalies.

Maybe someone else breaks isolation.
Maybe they got the vaccine
Maybe they spread the disease.
Maybe someone who had the vaccine got sick again ( is vaccine as effective as Moderna/Pfizer say).

Hopefully your answers remain typical and boring, but at the top of the list, there are anomalies that percolate.


As you said above, maybe the plane wasn't done, and you made it appear as though it was, no one would know without asking you and the team.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13069
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:43 pm

All of this makes me wonder, We haven't heard from Trpmb6 since his last report in the Covid thread about being sick.
I hope he is ok.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5282
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 pm

If I were you in such situation I would try to make sure their record didn't jointed your profile together with someone else and request a full copy of what they have recorded about you
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
johns624
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:24 pm

I had it back in November when Michigan got slammed and never got a call from anyone except the doctor from urgent care who gave me my Positive test result.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8167
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:09 am

casinterest wrote:

It seems tedious to you as your answers are known, but for data analysis the issue is in the anomalies.

Maybe someone else breaks isolation.
Maybe they got the vaccine
Maybe they spread the disease.
Maybe someone who had the vaccine got sick again ( is vaccine as effective as Moderna/Pfizer say).

Hopefully your answers remain typical and boring, but at the top of the list, there are anomalies that percolate.


Oh, I get that, but the questions clearly indicate that they aren’t tracking anything. To ask me whether my fever had gotten better, or my diarrhea is the give away. I haven’t had those symptoms, and they know that. After the 3rd day, they didn’t even ask about my fatigue, even though I told them it was still present.

They are just going through the motions.

They’ve asked only 2 questions of consequence, as far as I’m concerned:

1) Have you remained isolated?
2) Do you feel better today than you felt yesterday?

And, a third, but it really doesn’t apply to us: do you need any food or supplies? We’re good, and I let them know that.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
bobinthecar
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:20 am

Why did you bother getting tested in the first place? Why would you subject yourself to this if you can avoid it? If you are symptomatic you stay home. If someone in your family is sick you stay home. What upside is there to you and your family to getting tested? Would your treatment be any different? Would you get better any sooner? Please do tell why? If you happen to say why not I would refer you to your opening post as to why not.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14025
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 am

bobinthecar wrote:
Why did you bother getting tested in the first place? Why would you subject yourself to this if you can avoid it? If you are symptomatic you stay home. If someone in your family is sick you stay home. What upside is there to you and your family to getting tested? Would your treatment be any different? Would you get better any sooner? Please do tell why? If you happen to say why not I would refer you to your opening post as to why not.


The upside is that medical facilities and personnel have confirmation of your status and know how to treat you, obviously. FFS. No need to make rocket science out of concepts an eight year old can grasp.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
bobinthecar
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 am

Aaron747 wrote:
bobinthecar wrote:
Why did you bother getting tested in the first place? Why would you subject yourself to this if you can avoid it? If you are symptomatic you stay home. If someone in your family is sick you stay home. What upside is there to you and your family to getting tested? Would your treatment be any different? Would you get better any sooner? Please do tell why? If you happen to say why not I would refer you to your opening post as to why not.


The upside is that medical facilities and personnel have confirmation of your status and know how to treat you, obviously. FFS. No need to make rocket science out of concepts an eight year old can grasp.


Go back and read the original post. Where did he say he was under a doctor's care or getting any treatment. In fact the treatment for mild to moderate case of COVID is the same as that for the common cold. You have worse symptoms you go to the doctor. They then test you and maybe, just maybe depending on how severe there is a COVID specific treatment. I include the link below for you to reference. Of note is mild to moderate COVID-19.

Do try reading before typing next time.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines. ... anagement/
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14025
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:42 am

bobinthecar wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bobinthecar wrote:
Why did you bother getting tested in the first place? Why would you subject yourself to this if you can avoid it? If you are symptomatic you stay home. If someone in your family is sick you stay home. What upside is there to you and your family to getting tested? Would your treatment be any different? Would you get better any sooner? Please do tell why? If you happen to say why not I would refer you to your opening post as to why not.


The upside is that medical facilities and personnel have confirmation of your status and know how to treat you, obviously. FFS. No need to make rocket science out of concepts an eight year old can grasp.


Go back and read the original post. Where did he say he was under a doctor's care or getting any treatment. In fact the treatment for mild to moderate case of COVID is the same as that for the common cold. You have worse symptoms you go to the doctor. They then test you and maybe, just maybe depending on how severe there is a COVID specific treatment. I include the link below for you to reference. Of note is mild to moderate COVID-19.

Do try reading before typing next time.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines. ... anagement/


I did read it - the general subtext was piss poor communication and inept coordination by the state health department. That has nothing to do with rationale for getting tested. Sure, they can do it your way, but it will just waste doctors' time. If you have a date of positive test and can compare results, that may or may not be clinically significant if there's a change in your condition. Again, no leaps of logic needed.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14075
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 am

The concept of contact tracing is that you test everyone that has been in contact with someone positive. If he didn't test himself, then the persons he might have contaminated won't get tested, and the chain is broken.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am

bobinthecar wrote:
Why did you bother getting tested in the first place? Why would you subject yourself to this if you can avoid it? If you are symptomatic you stay home. If someone in your family is sick you stay home. What upside is there to you and your family to getting tested? Would your treatment be any different? Would you get better any sooner? Please do tell why? If you happen to say why not I would refer you to your opening post as to why not.

So that you know if you have the coronavirus or not rather than a cold. Isn't that obvious?
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8167
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:20 pm

bobinthecar wrote:
Why did you bother getting tested in the first place?


Does it really matter? This wasn’t my first test. I’ve been tested in the past due to exposure and due to travel. My employer, and the kids’ schools have asked that family members be tested, or the kids stay home if there has been out-of-state travel. So, we opted for testing, because the kids need to be in school.

I tested to understand what was going on. Just like the flu, a test gives you a feeling of what to expect and look for.

Some other things happen when a positive result occurs.

My employer continues to pay me through isolation...not a big deal for me as I am a salaried employee, but it’s a big deal for our hourly folks.
My wife is told to work from home.
My kids are automatically moved to the at-home model for 2 weeks.

I guess my question to you: why wouldn’t you want to know?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13069
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: COVID Health Department Follow-Ups

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 pm

fr8mech wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It seems tedious to you as your answers are known, but for data analysis the issue is in the anomalies.

Maybe someone else breaks isolation.
Maybe they got the vaccine
Maybe they spread the disease.
Maybe someone who had the vaccine got sick again ( is vaccine as effective as Moderna/Pfizer say).

Hopefully your answers remain typical and boring, but at the top of the list, there are anomalies that percolate.


Oh, I get that, but the questions clearly indicate that they aren’t tracking anything. To ask me whether my fever had gotten better, or my diarrhea is the give away. I haven’t had those symptoms, and they know that. After the 3rd day, they didn’t even ask about my fatigue, even though I told them it was still present.

They are just going through the motions.

They’ve asked only 2 questions of consequence, as far as I’m concerned:

1) Have you remained isolated?
2) Do you feel better today than you felt yesterday?

And, a third, but it really doesn’t apply to us: do you need any food or supplies? We’re good, and I let them know that.

They may go through the motions, and the person delivering the questions could do better, but they could be using you as a control group.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Braybuddy, System07, Virtual737, VMCA787 and 32 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos