Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11
Topic Author

49% of GOP men won't take vaccine

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Trump could honestly save the lives of thousands of people by supporting the vaccine, which he got in secret because reasons. But that ship sailed long ago.

" Nearly half of Republican men — 49% — say they won't choose to be vaccinated if a vaccine is available to them, according to a recent NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey."

Concern about Republican vaccine hesitancy is growing
https://www.axios.com/concern-republica ... 6b76b.html
I don't take responsibility at all

Aaron747

Re: 49% of GOP men won't take vaccine

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:18 pm

These are probably the same cohort who think the Apollo program culminated in a Kubrick shoot.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

NWAESC

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:25 pm

They can throw all the tantrums they want. The rest of us are moving on-- with or without them.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

KlimaBXsst

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:25 pm

FAKE news?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Aaron747

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
FAKE news?

Obviously not, since you have morons like this mental midget who can't grasp what vaccines are for.

“I won’t be taking it. The survival rate is too high for me to want it,” 25-year-old Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) told Axios in December.

https://www.axios.com/congress-schedule ... 28c05.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:40 pm

I am amazed it is that high. the GOP doesn't have a lot of intelligent folks out there. They want to really open up, then those folks will get the shot.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

bennett123

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:46 pm

If certain states become COVID hotspots, will that affect the rate that restrictions are eased?.

flipdewaf

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:03 pm

If you cannot have the vaccine for medical reasons, if someone approaches you who hasn’t taken the vaccine can you shoot them without recourse due to protecting from imminent danger and stand your ground rules? Asking for a friend.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KlimaBXsst

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:13 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
If you cannot have the vaccine for medical reasons, if someone approaches you who hasn’t taken the vaccine can you shoot them without recourse due to protecting from imminent danger and stand your ground rules? Asking for a friend.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are so creatively naughty! (;
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

AirWorthy99

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Wonderful take, it seems only GOP men have this issue? lets take a look around and see:

Black Americans’ Distrust of the COVID-19 Vaccine
A nationwide Kaiser Family Foundation survey1 found that in December of 2020, 35% of Black Americans stated they definitely or probably would not get the vaccine. This was a significantly higher percentage of reluctance compared to all other ethnic counterparts surveyed. The revelation of this study, in a similar vein to the rest of 2020, reflects a much deeper problem within our society. Many Black Americans distrust the American medical system.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/b ... id-vaccine

Many Latinos Are Hesitant To Get A COVID-19 Vaccine
A new Kaiser Family Foundation poll finds that a general willingness to get vaccinated against COVID-19 has gone up since December. But there's still hesitancy, most notably among Blacks and Latinos. Garcia is not alone in being skeptical. The survey finds that more than half of Latino adults are in no rush to get vaccinated.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/01/96290523 ... 19-vaccine

Lets allow nuance take care of the narrative here. The people who have politicized COVID since the start, will blame the other side, even if they are in charge of all branches of government.

If GOP voters don't want to take the vaccine, perhaps is the same reason Blacks and Hispanics won't too, its distrust on government and 'experts'.

BTW, I will take the vaccine, and I am a Conservative and a Republican, I trust these companies have done their job with the vaccine.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:35 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Wonderful take, it seems only GOP men have this issue? lets take a look around and see:

A nationwide Kaiser Family Foundation survey1 found that in December of 2020, 35% of Black Americans stated they definitely or probably would not get the vaccine. This was a significantly higher percentage of reluctance compared to all other ethnic counterparts surveyed. The revelation of this study, in a similar vein to the rest of 2020, reflects a much deeper problem within our society. Many Black Americans distrust the American medical system.

Black people have historical reason to be suspicious, but in spite of that are rapidly increasing their uptake of the vaccine.

GOP men have no such excuse, and yet they are far more opposed to the vaccine. They're just...stupid, and the GOP kookoo ecosystem is more than happy to indulge their stupidity. Why else would their Dear Leader take the vaccine secretly? Guaranteed those GOP men would take hydrochloroquine, colloidal silver, bleach, bright light, demon semen, and whatever other quack cure Trump floated over the past year all day if they could.

SQ22

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:19 pm

May I remind you to provide links to your sources when stating facts or make it clear that you are expressing your opinion? Thanks.

Dutchy

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:21 pm

I think the proportion of not taking the vaccine is quite shocking. We need herd immunity. And that is only possible if anyone, except some people who can't take it for health reasons and some persons with extreme religious beliefs. More than 90% need to take the vaccine for society at large and to protect the ones who can't.

Given vaccines work, you only need to point to measles, smallpox, polio, etc. some diseases are eradicated because of vaccines. So no good reason to not take the vaccine if you are a healthy person. If not for yourself, do it for your fellow human.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

lightsaber

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:24 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

A new Kaiser Family Foundation poll finds that a general willingness to get vaccinated against COVID-19 has gone up since December. But there's still hesitancy, most notably among Blacks and Latinos. Garcia is not alone in being skeptical. The survey finds that more than half of Latino adults are in no rush to get vaccinated.

Lets allow nuance take care of the narrative here. The people who have politicized COVID since the start, will blame the other side, even if they are in charge of all branches of government.

If GOP voters don't want to take the vaccine, perhaps is the same reason Blacks and Hispanics won't too, its distrust on government and 'experts'.

BTW, I will take the vaccine, and I am a Conservative and a Republican, I trust these companies have done their job with the vaccine.

Let us take a nuanced approach. These surveys really depend on how people are approached and how the question is asked.

I know two GOP men who said no where it turns out they weren't ready for mRNA, but will get J&J.

Also, a lot of people are answering surveys as they think they are expected to. E.g., one of my black friends says yes in front of those he thinks expects that answer, but the reality is he is hesitant.

Besides, GOP men tend to be married, they will do as the wife demands.

Vaccine isn't yet available enough to matter. The obese now qualify, which means most of us must wait.

Looking at how well certain "red" states are doing with vaccinations, I see demand.

Lightsaber
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

lightsaber

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Please try to post without attacking other groups.

slider

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I think the proportion of not taking the vaccine is quite shocking. We need herd immunity. And that is only possible if anyone, except some people who can't take it for health reasons and some persons with extreme religious beliefs. More than 90% need to take the vaccine for society at large and to protect the ones who can't.

Given vaccines work, you only need to point to measles, smallpox, polio, etc. some diseases are eradicated because of vaccines. So no good reason to not take the vaccine if you are a healthy person. If not for yourself, do it for your fellow human.

We may have already reached or soon to reach herd immunity.

Article is behind a pay wall, but this was on the WSJ in Feb.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have- ... 1613669731

We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April

Covid cases have dropped 77% in six weeks. Experts should level with the public about the good news.
By Marty Makary
The Wall Street Journal
Feb. 18, 2021 12:35 pm ET

T18

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:09 pm

@slider that WSJ an Op-Ed so I'll take a grain of salt with it is also a month old already so the stats it cites may no longer be accurate to the live picture.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

art

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:15 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I think the proportion of not taking the vaccine is quite shocking. We need herd immunity.

Yep and from what I understand, the more infectious the disease, the higher proportion you need to vaccinate to reach herd immunity. Vaccine refusal should prolong or even perpetuate the epidemic, shouldn't it?

Dutchy

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:29 pm

art wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
I think the proportion of not taking the vaccine is quite shocking. We need herd immunity.

Yep and from what I understand, the more infectious the disease, the higher proportion you need to vaccinate to reach herd immunity. Vaccine refusal should prolong or even perpetuate the epidemic, shouldn't it?

Yes, and that's why I think not getting a vaccine is anti-social. There is no evidence that getting a vaccine actually hurts you in the long term. There are now small question marks surrounding AstraZeneca-vaccine and it has been pulled in order to research potential side effects. So in the western world, vaccines (and medicine in general) are closely monitored. So why doubt institutions and not get vaccinated.

Toenga

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:38 pm

With proof of vaccination looking to be a border requirement for entry into many countries,if true, it looks like we can look forward to a lot less of the ignorant American tourist.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm

lightsaber wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Let us take a nuanced approach. These surveys really depend on how people are approached and how the question is asked.

I know two GOP men who said no where it turns out they weren't ready for mRNA, but will get J&J.

Also, a lot of people are answering surveys as they think they are expected to. E.g., one of my black friends says yes in front of those he thinks expects that answer, but the reality is he is hesitant.

Besides, GOP men tend to be married, they will do as the wife demands.

Vaccine isn't yet available enough to matter. The obese now qualify, which means most of us must wait.

Looking at how well certain "red" states are doing with vaccinations, I see demand.

Lightsaber

Not sure what these random anecdotal stories have to do with anything... If you don't believe the surveys, look at who is actually getting the vaccines:

"Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said on Friday that the state is seeing vaccine hesitancy among white Republicans, "
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/stat ... 92448?s=11

If Trump is whining so much about not receiving credit, why doesn't he...you know...promote the vaccine?

kalvado

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
art wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yes, and that's why I think not getting a vaccine is anti-social. There is no evidence that getting a vaccine actually hurts you in the long term. There are now small question marks surrounding AstraZeneca-vaccine and it has been pulled in order to research potential side effects. So in the western world, vaccines (and medicine in general) are closely monitored. So why doubt institutions and not get vaccinated.

Because, you know, hindsight is 20/20 and consequences are yet to be known. And those may be more complicated than expected. For example, could AstraZeneca interfere with prostate cancer treatment? (hint - the answer may be positive, see trial NCT 02390063)
Of course, we need to act today, and covid vaccine appears a prudent choice. It provides an extended 90 day protection!

I doubt those refusing to get vaccine would understand such details (same goes for those willing to take vaccine as well). I, for one, wouldn't expect current round of vaccination to be the end of the story.

r6russian

Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:03 am

imagine a contraception vaccine that if the girl takes, she can still get pregnant and the dude still needs to wear a rubber. totally pointless. this vaccine is the same way. not a chance im getting it

Aaron747

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:03 am

r6russian wrote:
imagine a contraception vaccine that if the girl takes, she can still get pregnant and the dude still needs to wear a rubber. totally pointless. this vaccine is the same way. not a chance im getting it

This is straight up delusional. Any vaccine would be useless for contraception because they aren't designed for it. Contraception and vaccines are in no way related. Biology 101: reproductive and immune systems are totally separate, don't have similar functions, are basically incomparable. Ridiculous.

c933103

Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:36 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Trump could honestly save the lives of thousands of people by supporting the vaccine, which he got in secret because reasons. But that ship sailed long ago.

" Nearly half of Republican men — 49% — say they won't choose to be vaccinated if a vaccine is available to them, according to a recent NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey."

Concern about Republican vaccine hesitancy is growing
https://www.axios.com/concern-republica ... 6b76b.html

Judging from their response to the like of Fox News, I would say if Trump announced support on the vaccone, they'll just treat Trump as betrayed them?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Aesma

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 am

r6russian wrote:

She can get pregnant but she won't get a baby (you can get the virus but a mild form). And the rubber is to avoid getting other people pregnant.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

vrbarreto

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:49 am

Aesma wrote:
r6russian wrote:

She can get pregnant but she won't get a baby (you can get the virus but a mild form). And the rubber is to avoid getting other people pregnant.

...and the rubber isn't just to prevent conception.. It's also there to stop the possible spread of disease.. Aids and Herpes being an example...

lightsaber

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:57 pm

Please post respectfully.
If you quote flamebait, your post will be deleted.

stl07

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:12 pm

I got the vaccine. Who wouldn't want 5g reception directly in your head? Now I no longer have to worry about whether I remembered to grab my phone on the way out of the apartment.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

aeromoe

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:43 am

Aaron747 wrote:
These are probably the same cohort who think the Apollo program culminated in a Kubrick shoot.

It did...but Kubrick was such a perfectionist he insisted he shoot it "on location."
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

johns624

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:01 am

Things will change now. The cult leader says the vaccine is good now. They'll all have a change of heart.
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-supporters-anti-vaccine/

seb146

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:03 am

People still show symptoms and feel physically awful a year after being in the hospital on the edge of death. I am not wishing that on anyone but isn't it interesting how many of these covid deniers turn into believers and thank science and medicine and change their tune when they have to spend weeks in the hospital from a "fake" disease? If people do not want to take medication for whatever reason, that should be their right. Terrible as the consequences might be, they should have that right.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

luckyone

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:30 am

johns624 wrote:
Things will change now. The cult leader says the vaccine is good now. They'll all have a change of heart.
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-supporters-anti-vaccine/

Perhaps. We’ll see if they had a “Think” button for him to press.

luckyone

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:32 am

r6russian wrote:

Perhaps you should read before you speak. There ARE contraceptive injections for women. It’s still advisable that condoms be worn because contraceptives do nothing for sexually transmitted diseases—and they never have. Also, no method of contraception is 100% effective, even condoms.

noviorbis77

Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:

I am not sure anti vaxxers will see this as compelling enough.

Dutchy

Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:03 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I think you are right, and I do not believe that there are many anti-vaxxers on this site I need to convince. I only offered you my opinion.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:57 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Anti vaxxers don't see anything as compelling enough; that's why they're anti vaxxers

lightsaber

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Trump asked people to get a vaccine on 2/28 and just re-recommended it. He isn't even getting screen time for any stuff on MSM, so why is anyone concerned?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... smsnnews11

We all need vaccines. I see it as a conservative value to be vaccinated. Theocratic institutions, I have another opinion.
Lightsaber

noviorbis77

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I think you are right, and I do not believe that there are many anti-vaxxers on this site I need to convince. I only offered you my opinion.

No they wont be in this site.

Airlines and aviation will be some evil conspiracy to them.

Kent350787

Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:21 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Trump asked people to get a vaccine on 2/28 and just re-recommended it. He isn't even getting screen time for any stuff on MSM, so why is anyone concerned?

We all need vaccines. I see it as a conservative value to be vaccinated. Theocratic institutions, I have another opinion.
Lightsaber

Isn't the respected US media covering this? All major media in Australia has it.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

casinterest

Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:28 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Isn't the respected US media covering this? All major media in Australia has it.

it's been covered everywhere. Even CNN covered Fox News's interview.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/politics ... index.html

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday urged Americans to get vaccinated to help curb the Covid-19 pandemic, calling it "safe" and "something that works."

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly," Trump told Fox News' Maria Bartiromo.
"But again," he continued, "we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also. But it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine and it is something that works."

The real issue is that 50% of republicans don't want to take it vs 92% of democrats. there is either a messaging or intelligence problem on the GOP side. So having Trump and others endorese it, but then ramble on about "frreedoms" isn't really helpful.

Though Trump had urged his followers to "go get your shot" during his speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference last month, his decision to quietly receive the vaccine without public fanfare earlier this year drew sharp scrutiny and contrasted with his successor and predecessors.
President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris were each vaccinated on live television in December, and former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton volunteered in December to get their Covid-19 vaccines on camera to promote public confidence in the vaccine's safety.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

mke717spotter

Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:29 pm

Trump secretly getting the vaccine definitely isn't a good look and it doesn't make much sense either (as a side note I'm sort of surprised he got the vaccine so soon after recovering from the disease). Let's face it though, we always knew there was going to be a batch of people that would never go get it and I'm worried this is just going to be their next way of moving the goalposts. "Not every single person has gone to get the vaccine yet so the mask rules and everything else have to stay!"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... mH9IH7EtT0

"President Biden wants Americans to wear face masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus "until everyone is, in fact, vaccinated," he said on Monday.

After his inauguration in January, Biden urged citizens to "mask up" for the next 100 days as federal and state governments work to make vaccines available.

Biden said in February that the U.S. will have enough supply of the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of the summer to inoculate 300 million Americans. However, he has also said that Americans should expect to continue to wearing masks into 2022."

Dutchy wrote:

Given vaccines work, you only need to point to measles, smallpox, polio, etc. some diseases are eradicated because of vaccines.

Just to be clear, there's only one human disease that's actually ever been fully eradicated (smallpox - though it still exists in labs). Its a lot easier when you only need one shot or a series of shots at some point in your life and then you're set, but if this becomes similar to the flu where you constantly need boosters every year then it becomes much more difficult.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

DTVG

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:41 am

Absolutely correct to reject the vaccine. Would you want to be implanted with a 5G chip and be controlled by Bill Gates/Soros and Co?

Aaron747

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 am

DTVG wrote:
Absolutely correct to reject the vaccine. Would you want to be implanted with a 5G chip and be controlled by Bill Gates/Soros and Co?

Is this serious or just taking the piss..??

scbriml

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:46 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

If we’re talking about republicans, then I know where my money would be. :lol:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dutchy

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:36 am

scbriml wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

If we’re talking about republicans, then I know where my money would be. :lol:

Still not a sure bet, though :lol:

Dutchy

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 am

mke717spotter wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Given vaccines work, you only need to point to measles, smallpox, polio, etc. some diseases are eradicated because of vaccines.

Just to be clear, there's only one human disease that's actually ever been fully eradicated (smallpox - though it still exists in labs). Its a lot easier when you only need one shot or a series of shots at some point in your life and then you're set, but if this becomes similar to the flu where you constantly need boosters every year then it becomes much more difficult.

Not the point I was trying to get across, but sure.

casinterest

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

I am going to go with serious :)

The sad part about the 5G chip conspiracy, is why the hell would anyone go through the trouble? Everyone is attached to their smartphone/smartwatch/Credit card, and that tracks you perfectly well without needing to research a tiny chip that has to transmit out of bodily fluids, and miraculously wind up in the correct spot.

johns624

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:50 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

I am going to go with serious :)

The sad part about the 5G chip conspiracy, is why the hell would anyone go through the trouble? Everyone is attached to their smartphone/smartwatch/Credit card, and that tracks you perfectly well without needing to research a tiny chip that has to transmit out of bodily fluids, and miraculously wind up in the correct spot.

That's not outlandish enough. The new conspiracies have to be so inane that no sane person would believe them. Look how many people revel in their not understanding medical science or how the government actually works.

CitizenJustin

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:27 am

“They're just...stupid”

Sometimes the simplest words are the most descriptive.