Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14070
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:37 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
Taco Bell - eurgghh



I am shocked that people in the southwest think Taco Bell is better than Del Taco. Are they nuts! Del Taco is much better. Taco Bell is pretty bad.


Del Taco is the absolute bomb. I used to have a favorite one on Lincoln Blvd in Marina del Rey on many many roadtrips to LA in college. It was like seconds from the highway 90 offramp (90 itself was a glorious high speed escape from the slog of the 405 south).
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
TSS
Posts: 3738
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 am

Dano1977 wrote:
Taco Bell - eurgghh


NIKV69 wrote:
I am shocked that people in the southwest think Taco Bell is better than Del Taco. Are they nuts! Del Taco is much better. Taco Bell is pretty bad.


seb146 wrote:
I was indoctrinated by Taco Bell. I will always ALWAYS!!! go to Del Taco first. Every damn time. They are not authentic Mexican by any means. I would rather have Del Taco hands down.


Aaron747 wrote:
Del Taco is the absolute bomb. I used to have a favorite one on Lincoln Blvd in Marina del Rey on many many roadtrips to LA in college. It was like seconds from the highway 90 offramp (90 itself was a glorious high speed escape from the slog of the 405 south).


Agreed, Del Taco is way, WAY better than Taco Bell. Unfortunately we only ever had one kinda near here that I knew of, in Anniston which is about 50 miles away. I visited Anniston with some regularity at the time and ate at that Del Taco fairly frequently. The Del Taco closed and now, near as I can tell on Bing Maps, there's a Taco Bell in it's former location, adding insult to injury.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8167
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm

ER757 wrote:
When I lived in the Chicago area, the only time we'd go to White Castle was after our band played a gig, we packed up all our gear (we didn't have roadies) and there was nothing else open at that hour :smile:


I guess it’s been about 20 years or so, but after a late night fire...or even a false alarm, if we felt like it...we’d head over to White Castle and rip through the burgers. They’d see the truck pull in and just start cooking.

Ah, youth.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
bennett123
Posts: 10732
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 pm

I always find Subway is pretty good, and is consistent.

McDonalds is fine as well. But you clearly would not want to eat it every day. I don[t like Burger King, the bun is very floppy and your end up with half of it on your face.

KFC is very nice, but is a rather greasy.
 
TSS
Posts: 3738
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:28 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I once ate at a Denny's, never again shall I do that. Greasy, tasteless food in a dirty, loud place.


Whatever parent company that owns Denny's seems to allow a great deal of latitude towards franchisees with regard to cleanliness and food quality standards, so it's a real roll of the dice any time you enter one. Some, like the one in Reno near the airport entrance, are quite good and easily the equal of any Waffle House or Omelet Shoppe whereas others are as you describe and worse. Never enter a Denny's without a clear, positive recommendation from someone you know well and whose opinion on food you trust.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
zippyjet
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:32 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:38 am

On pure fast food, in no order.
  1. Anything prepared at a 7/11 or other convenience store.I don't do fast or any fype of food where they also sell live bate within arm's reach.
  2. Chuckee Cheese
  3. Almost all are gone but fast food from the K-Mart Cafeteria. The smells are enough to induce a major league zippyjet hurling episode.
  4. Quiznos
  5. Non dessert fare fast food at a Dairy Queen or even Duncan Donuts, Friendly Ice Cream etc.
  6. Le Madeleine
  7. More in the past Turnpike rest plazas and schools. Now, thankfully many national chains have branches in these public institutions.
  8. Cinematic fast food way overpriced and questionably quality.
  9. Hopefully never have to even approach this but Prison Food!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:59 pm

zippyjet wrote:
On pure fast food, in no order.

  1. Chuckee Cheese


You mean the Rat Casino has bad food? Shocked!
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3442
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:26 pm

Canadian fast food is a slightly different experience I find... My preferences:

Burgers (just the traditional chains and not including the next level ones like 5 guys, South Street, Burgers Priest, etc)

A&W

Wendy's

BK

Mcdonald's

Something prepared by amoeba

Harvey's

------


Breakfast


A&W

Country Style (becoming hard to find)

Mcdonalds

Coffee Time

Tim Hortons

Subway

-------


Subs


MrSub and Firehouse (tie)

Subway

Again something prepared by amoebas


Quiznos

-------

For Chicken


Popeyes

Mary Browns

St Hubert (wish they were still in Ontario)

KFC

A&W

Wendy's

Chick-fil-A (they have mucked something up in Canada)

Mcdonald's

BK

-------

Pizza:

Mamas

Pizzaville

Pizza pizza (very location variable however)

Pizzaolo

And distantly behind... Avoid where possible...

Pizza hut (wtf they spray their pizza with oil)

Dominos (but again something screwy in Canada, south of border it's vastly better)

Two4one Pizza... Nuff said

Any unlisted are "meh" rated...




_----------



Places I will never touch again:


Taco Bell... There are always better options... Like licking the sidewalk.

Anything with "Express" added to the name

White Castle (I think they left Canada... But avoid in US too)

Arby's (food poisoning)












Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14217
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:34 pm

TSS wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
Taco Bell - eurgghh


NIKV69 wrote:
I am shocked that people in the southwest think Taco Bell is better than Del Taco. Are they nuts! Del Taco is much better. Taco Bell is pretty bad.


seb146 wrote:
I was indoctrinated by Taco Bell. I will always ALWAYS!!! go to Del Taco first. Every damn time. They are not authentic Mexican by any means. I would rather have Del Taco hands down.


Aaron747 wrote:
Del Taco is the absolute bomb. I used to have a favorite one on Lincoln Blvd in Marina del Rey on many many roadtrips to LA in college. It was like seconds from the highway 90 offramp (90 itself was a glorious high speed escape from the slog of the 405 south).


Agreed, Del Taco is way, WAY better than Taco Bell. Unfortunately we only ever had one kinda near here that I knew of, in Anniston which is about 50 miles away. I visited Anniston with some regularity at the time and ate at that Del Taco fairly frequently. The Del Taco closed and now, near as I can tell on Bing Maps, there's a Taco Bell in it's former location, adding insult to injury.


Let us not forget the Del Double cheese burger is a sleeper! So good as well.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
LMP737
Posts: 6217
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:36 pm

ER757 wrote:
When I lived in the Chicago area, the only time we'd go to White Castle was after our band played a gig, we packed up all our gear (we didn't have roadies) and there was nothing else open at that hour :smile:


Born on the west side and grew up just south of the city and I never understood the whole White Castle thing. I found "sliders" to be quite unappetizing so I always avoided it. Back in my youth I was out with some friends and at about 0230 they decided they were hungry. The only thing open was White Castle so that's where we ended up. Even though I was rather hungry as well I sat there and watched them eat.

I still visit there once a year and while I'll grab a pizza from Aulrelio's and an Italian beef from Portillo's I steer clear of the castle.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
LMP737
Posts: 6217
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I will never go to a Wienerschnitzel or KFC.

Both make disgusting food. W's chili is puke and most of everything KFC makes is so bad.

What fast food joints do you avoid?


In the Seattle metro area there's a small chain of burger joints called DIck's, seven stores in all. A lot of local's rave about it. Not being a local I was curious to see what it was all about. Tried it, and have not tried it since. Basically a cheap knock off of McDonalds. And boy do the local's get mad when you point this out.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
TSS
Posts: 3738
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
TSS wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
Taco Bell - eurgghh


NIKV69 wrote:
I am shocked that people in the southwest think Taco Bell is better than Del Taco. Are they nuts! Del Taco is much better. Taco Bell is pretty bad.


seb146 wrote:
I was indoctrinated by Taco Bell. I will always ALWAYS!!! go to Del Taco first. Every damn time. They are not authentic Mexican by any means. I would rather have Del Taco hands down.


Aaron747 wrote:
Del Taco is the absolute bomb. I used to have a favorite one on Lincoln Blvd in Marina del Rey on many many roadtrips to LA in college. It was like seconds from the highway 90 offramp (90 itself was a glorious high speed escape from the slog of the 405 south).


Agreed, Del Taco is way, WAY better than Taco Bell. Unfortunately we only ever had one kinda near here that I knew of, in Anniston which is about 50 miles away. I visited Anniston with some regularity at the time and ate at that Del Taco fairly frequently. The Del Taco closed and now, near as I can tell on Bing Maps, there's a Taco Bell in it's former location, adding insult to injury.


Let us not forget the Del Double cheese burger is a sleeper! So good as well.


It is probably worth pointing out that when you, me, Seb146, and Aaron747 are all in agreement about something then there is pretty much no room left for dissent. :biggrin:


LMP737 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
When I lived in the Chicago area, the only time we'd go to White Castle was after our band played a gig, we packed up all our gear (we didn't have roadies) and there was nothing else open at that hour :smile:


Born on the west side and grew up just south of the city and I never understood the whole White Castle thing. I found "sliders" to be quite unappetizing so I always avoided it. Back in my youth I was out with some friends and at about 0230 they decided they were hungry. The only thing open was White Castle so that's where we ended up. Even though I was rather hungry as well I sat there and watched them eat.

I still visit there once a year and while I'll grab a pizza from Aulrelio's and an Italian beef from Portillo's I steer clear of the castle.


Down here we have the Southern equivalent of White Castle called Krystal, and there is substantial anecdotal evidence which suggests that nothing soaks up alcohol and prevents a hangover the next day like Krystal burgers. I know many people who wouldn't eat a Krystal burger sober on a bet, yet they'll happily snarf down a dozen or more of them on the way home from a night out. :drunk: Horses for courses, I suppose.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14089
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 pm

I visited the US just before the pandemic for the first time. I tried a few things. I can safely say I won't go back to a Jack in the Box. Never eaten something so greasy. I didn't go by choice, that was the only thing opened (the drive thru) because everything closes so early in the US.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14217
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:35 am

TSS wrote:

It is probably worth pointing out that when you, me, Seb146, and Aaron747 are all in agreement about something then there is pretty much no room left for dissent. :biggrin:



Seb is always fun. My favorite is when he called a ripped male "flabby" but he is right on this one. Del Taco is far better. It's not even close. I would put their Chorizo up against anyone!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:49 am

LMP737 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
When I lived in the Chicago area, the only time we'd go to White Castle was after our band played a gig, we packed up all our gear (we didn't have roadies) and there was nothing else open at that hour :smile:


Born on the west side and grew up just south of the city and I never understood the whole White Castle thing. I found "sliders" to be quite unappetizing so I always avoided it. Back in my youth I was out with some friends and at about 0230 they decided they were hungry. The only thing open was White Castle so that's where we ended up. Even though I was rather hungry as well I sat there and watched them eat.

I still visit there once a year and while I'll grab a pizza from Aulrelio's and an Italian beef from Portillo's I steer clear of the castle.

Aurelio's and Portillo's.....man, now you're talking. You are bringing back great memories. Used to go to a little hole in the wall in Bellwood called Mickey's for an Italian Beef and a Vienna dog after bowling every Tuesday night. The owners kid worked the late shift and wouldn't close until I showed up :smile:
Nothing at all like it here in Seattle
 
LMP737
Posts: 6217
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 am

ER757 wrote:

Aurelio's and Portillo's.....man, now you're talking. You are bringing back great memories. Used to go to a little hole in the wall in Bellwood called Mickey's for an Italian Beef and a Vienna dog after bowling every Tuesday night. The owners kid worked the late shift and wouldn't close until I showed up :smile:
Nothing at all like it here in Seattle


I grew up near the original flagship Aulrelio's in Homewood. Fond memories going there as a kid, of course when I visit I always make time to stop by there. Never did the deep dish, it's a stereotype that's what Chicagoans eat. Always thin crust.

You can order Portillo's online and they will ship it to you. Best Xmas present I got last year was my sister shipping it out to me. Since it's frozen it's not as good as you would get in the store but it's still better than anything you can get in Seattle.

There's a place in U Village in Seattle called Delfino’s Chicago Style Pizza that tries to market itself as the name suggest. They had Italian beef on the menu so of course I tried it. I paid $12 for a pile of tasteless crap. Looked at the pizza they had on display and noped right out there. That was four years ago, haven't been back. Have yet to find good pizza in Seattle, which at my age is probably a good thing
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
Sokes
Posts: 2731
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Fast food you avoid

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 am

TSS wrote:
McDonald's- Even as a little kid I liked Burger King better. No reconstituted chopped onions to have to pick off on regular BK cheeseburgers. Then I got kicked out of a McDonald's for losing my temper (in fairness I WAS justified in doing so) and I never went back.

Happened to me also once. That "toothpaste advertisement" smile of fast food joints really sucks. Somebody caught it on camera, so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlzm7-gvTRg
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:11 pm

LMP737 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Aurelio's and Portillo's.....man, now you're talking. You are bringing back great memories. Used to go to a little hole in the wall in Bellwood called Mickey's for an Italian Beef and a Vienna dog after bowling every Tuesday night. The owners kid worked the late shift and wouldn't close until I showed up :smile:
Nothing at all like it here in Seattle


I grew up near the original flagship Aulrelio's in Homewood. Fond memories going there as a kid, of course when I visit I always make time to stop by there. Never did the deep dish, it's a stereotype that's what Chicagoans eat. Always thin crust.

You can order Portillo's online and they will ship it to you. Best Xmas present I got last year was my sister shipping it out to me. Since it's frozen it's not as good as you would get in the store but it's still better than anything you can get in Seattle.

There's a place in U Village in Seattle called Delfino’s Chicago Style Pizza that tries to market itself as the name suggest. They had Italian beef on the menu so of course I tried it. I paid $12 for a pile of tasteless crap. Looked at the pizza they had on display and noped right out there. That was four years ago, haven't been back. Have yet to find good pizza in Seattle, which at my age is probably a good thing

Yeah - Delfino's isn't very good. Like you I gave it a try - meh. I know you can get Portillo's sent out from "Tastes of Chicago." I occasionally get them to send me a couple Lou Malnati's pizzas - insanely expensive but once or twice a year it's worth it
 
User avatar
Challenger007
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:03 am

Re: Fast food you avoid

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:04 am

I generally try not to eat fast food. In the sense that I don't know what the burger cutlet is made of and what its path was. If you really want to pamper yourself with something, then in half an hour or an hour you can cook a bunch of waffles. And since I love Belgian waffles, I bought myself a Presto waffle maker and now at least every morning I can cook myself a delicious breakfast. Fast and effortless. And you do not need to use incomprehensible additives in food - here I am 100% confident in each product used.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B717fan, NIKV69 and 36 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos