Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fast food you avoid

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:56 am

I will never go to a Wienerschnitzel or KFC.

Both make disgusting food. W's chili is puke and most of everything KFC makes is so bad.

What fast food joints do you avoid?
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Fast food you avoid

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:43 am

Just about all of it, there’s no need to go to any fast food establishment. I might make an exception for a small order of McD’s fries and Coke on a road trip. Other than that I look for sit down restaurants with good recommendations.

TSS

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:47 am

McDonald's- Even as a little kid I liked Burger King better. No reconstituted chopped onions to have to pick off on regular BK cheeseburgers. Then I got kicked out of a McDonald's for losing my temper (in fairness I WAS justified in doing so) and I never went back.

The only fast food restaurants I patronize with any kind of regularity are:

Arby's- Turkey wrap, turkey and/or Greek gyros (nothing at all like a real gyro, mind you, but still good on their own merits), or regular roast beef sandwich.

Jack's (local chain)- Their burgers taste like BK burgers used to taste back when everything was cooked when ordered and not pre-cooked then microwaved. Excellent fried chicken, too.

Milo's (local chain)- Great "signature sauce", everything cooked when ordered.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Aaron747

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:55 am

TSS wrote:
McDonald's- Even as a little kid I liked Burger King better. No reconstituted chopped onions to have to pick off on regular BK cheeseburgers. Then I got kicked out of a McDonald's for losing my temper (in fairness I WAS justified in doing so) and I never went back.

The only fast food restaurants I patronize with any kind of regularity are:

Arby's- Turkey wrap, turkey and/or Greek gyros (nothing at all like a real gyro, mind you, but still good on their own merits), or regular roast beef sandwich.

Jack's (local chain)- Their burgers taste like BK burgers used to taste back when everything was cooked when ordered and not pre-cooked then microwaved. Excellent fried chicken, too.

Milo's (local chain)- Great "signature sauce", everything cooked when ordered.

Just out of curiosity - what could possibly be worth losing one’s temper over at a fast food joint?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

c933103

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:57 am

I don't understand what is the selling point of various "vegetable salad" in a number of Fried Chicken joints. They appears to be simply vegetable.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:01 am

c933103 wrote:
I don't understand what is the selling point of various "vegetable salad" in a number of Fried Chicken joints. They appears to be simply vegetable.

If you think that’s bad, try restaurant/fast food ‘salad’ in Japan. Usually just a jumble of diced cabbage.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

fr8mech

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:25 am

I avoid it all, except one item...The mighty Egg McMuffin. 300 calories of the perfectly balanced...for me...blend of carbs, protein and fat. And, tasty. I would scarf one down after a morning 6 mile run.

I still eat one at the beginning of a long drive. The perfect food. Except for pizza. That is a much more perfect food, but messier, especially when done right, NY style.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Kent350787

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 am

Agree with KFC (or PKF for Quebecois). I have it maybe once every 5 years and regret it every time. Theres a store at the end of my street and I've been there twice in 25 years.

Burger King (Hungry Jack's in Australia). Every time I've had it there's been a greasy aftertaste that I finally worked out was the mayo, and I don't love the flame grilled flavour.

East Asian food from food courts generally in the US. I've had some pleasant enough Thai and Malaysian food in sit down restaurants, Chinese (from various regions) occasionally too. But from food courts and similar outlets its almost universally just sweet protein and all tastes the same.

I can't think of other chains that I've eaten from often enough to choose to avoid them. McD's isn't a regular thing, but I worked there as a kid, know what I'm gonna get and sometimes get cravings.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

seb146

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:14 am

KFC. The brosband loves it and can not get enough of it. I get sick every time we go there. I don't know if it is just this one or the whole chain. I will get him KFC if he wants but I will go anywhere else.

When I or we go out of town (which is about once a month) we avoid Burger King, McDonalds, Subway, and Taco Bell because that's all we have here!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Kent350787

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 am

Oooh, thanks for reminding me about Subway. The smell of the herbed bread is one of the grossest things I encounter when out and about. Admittedly it is better than many other options (and I last chose it on a Sunday afternoon in Dublin, GA, admittedly a salad rather than sub), but worse than many, many others.

I admit that where i live has many, many, many more food choices than the franchises, which tend to be big go-tos in the outer suburbs.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

TSS

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:54 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Just out of curiosity - what could possibly be worth losing one’s temper over at a fast food joint?

It was the culmination of a couple of things. At that time I'd occasionally go into McD's for something quick if it was the only thing around or the only thing that didn't require having to make two U-turns, but I had long since given up on using their drive-thru because no matter what I ordered, no matter how basic a menu item my order was, they wouldn't have any ready and I'd have to pull forward and wait for them to go out back, kill the cow, butcher the meat, bake the bread, grow the fake cheese in a test tube, fry the burger, assemble the sandwich, and eventually bring it out to me which I refused to do any more because to me the operative word in the phrase "fast food" is "fast" and if I'm gonna be waiting that long there are better options available, usually on the same block. I had found a way to cheat that system by parking and going inside then selecting my order from the sandwiches that were already made and sitting in the slots between the kitchen and the cash register area waiting to be served. That hack usually worked pretty well, and I'd be in, out, and on my way before the drive-thru line had progressed by more than a car or two.

I stopped in at a McD's in Tuscaloosa because I was in a hurry and it was the only thing on that side of the street at about 1:30 pm, just after the lunch rush had subsided. I went inside and ordered two of the sandwiches I could see were already in the slots ready to be served and was told "Okay Sir, have a seat and we'll let you know when those are ready" to which I replied "No, they're already ready, I can see them right there in the slot, just throw two of those in a bag with some fries and a drink and I'll be on my way". Then she said "Oh no Sir, those have been sitting there too long, we'll have to make you fresh ones". I told her it was no problem, those would be fine, seriously, I'm in a hurry, the lunch rush just ended so how old could they be, but she was having none of it and called the manager over. The manager gave me the same song & dance the cashier did with an extra verse about "freshness control" and "McD's customer's expectation of quality" and because I just wanted a couple of burgers and had had about enough of what I considered wholly unnecessary BS from them, I blurted out "Expectation of quality?!? This is Mc-freakin'-Donald's! I HAVE no 'expectation of quality' when I come in here!", at which point the manager gritted his teeth and asked me rather firmly to leave and not come back.

So I never again darkened the door OR drive-thru of any McDonald's, anywhere.

B777LRF

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 am

All of them. The large American chains, that is.

If I'm in the mood for junk food there are plenty of locals, offering anything from pizza over chinese and thai to burgers. My favourite by quite some margin is Gasoline Grill which, truth be told, does have around half a dozen outlets. They have exactly 4 offerings; original burger, cheese burger, butter burger and green burger. I obviously avoid the latter, as I have forward facing eyes and am therefore a carnivorous predator. Their burgers are pretty expensive (the equivalent of USD 20 for an original burger), but it's worth every penny. Copenhagen still has a few "sausage wagons", where a bloke will serve you, well, sausages of various kinds served either straight up or as a hot dog. All individually owned and operated, each with their own specialities and peculiarities. I love that diversity, just as much as I hate the uniformity of large chains.
Signature. You just read one.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:44 am

TSS wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TSS wrote:

It was the culmination of a couple of things. At that time I'd occasionally go into McD's for something quick if it was the only thing around or the only thing that didn't require having to make two U-turns, but I had long since given up on using their drive-thru because no matter what I ordered, no matter how basic a menu item my order was, they wouldn't have any ready and I'd have to pull forward and wait for them to go out back, kill the cow, butcher the meat, bake the bread, grow the fake cheese in a test tube, fry the burger, assemble the sandwich, and eventually bring it out to me which I refused to do any more because to me the operative word in the phrase "fast food" is "fast" and if I'm gonna be waiting that long there are better options available, usually on the same block. I had found a way to cheat that system by parking and going inside then selecting my order from the sandwiches that were already made and sitting in the slots between the kitchen and the cash register area waiting to be served. That hack usually worked pretty well, and I'd be in, out, and on my way before the drive-thru line had progressed by more than a car or two.

I stopped in at a McD's in Tuscaloosa because I was in a hurry and it was the only thing on that side of the street at about 1:30 pm, just after the lunch rush had subsided. I went inside and ordered two of the sandwiches I could see were already in the slots ready to be served and was told "Okay Sir, have a seat and we'll let you know when those are ready" to which I replied "No, they're already ready, I can see them right there in the slot, just throw two of those in a bag with some fries and a drink and I'll be on my way". Then she said "Oh no Sir, those have been sitting there too long, we'll have to make you fresh ones". I told her it was no problem, those would be fine, seriously, I'm in a hurry, the lunch rush just ended so how old could they be, but she was having none of it and called the manager over. The manager gave me the same song & dance the cashier did with an extra verse about "freshness control" and "McD's customer's expectation of quality" and because I just wanted a couple of burgers and had had about enough of what I considered wholly unnecessary BS from them, I blurted out "Expectation of quality?!? This is Mc-freakin'-Donald's! I HAVE no 'expectation of quality' when I come in here!", at which point the manager gritted his teeth and asked me rather firmly to leave and not come back.

So...long story short...you expected the peons to risk their jobs and violate a corporate policy they had no control over, because you couldn't wait another 90 seconds? I believe that's called entitlement.

c933103

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

If you think that’s bad, try restaurant/fast food ‘salad’ in Japan. Usually just a jumble of diced cabbage.

I see the type of salad you describe more commonly in Fried Chicken fast-food chains
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

TSS

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:50 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TSS wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

So...long story short...you expected the peons to risk their jobs and violate a corporate policy they had no control over, because you couldn't wait another 90 seconds? I believe that's called entitlement.

Probably so, yes. Not my normal modus operandi, and I chalk my over-reaction to the situation up to me happening to go into the one McDonald's I'd ever been in that actually followed that corporate rule to the letter when I was already frustrated in general. Lesson learned- Now when I enter a fast food restaurant I do so with the expectation that every item I order will have to be cooked from scratch, and occasionally I'm wrong about that. If I don't have time to wait for everything I order at a fast food restaurant to be cooked from scratch, then I don't go in at all.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 am

I honestly never get the hate of McDonald's. I find their food to be absolutely fine.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

WildcatYXU

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:07 am

TSS wrote:

William Foster? :eyepopping:
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

chimborazo

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:26 am

I don’t think Mucky Ds class themselves as fast food. “Everyone” classes them as such because they are generally pretty fast and have most things either already cooked or they don’t take too long to put together. Plus the Drive Thru gives a not unreasonable expectation that you’ll get what you ordered pretty rapidly, although not always. But they call themselves a restaurant. The Chicken Selects with Smokey barbecue dip are great. As are the wraps. Always have to check the bag before driving off as some of the staff are incapable of transferring a list on a screen to putting the same items in a bag.

KFC always ends in disappointment. The flavour is okay but it’s just so damned greasy... well, it would be- it’s deep fried! Even factoring that it is the bottom of the barrel for fast food. Soggy chips (fries) and ridiculously small napkins for something that covers your face and fingers with slime when eating.

Burger King in UK is always disappointing, a Whopper just seems to be bread with a bit of meat and wet salad in it.

Wagamama could be classed as fast food, they just bring stuff to your table as it becomes ready. I like that. Sadly what they offer is fast food without any of the repeatability or dare I say flavour. Had one too many bad experiences so don’t use it anymore.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:42 am

fr8mech wrote:
I avoid it all, except one item...The mighty Egg McMuffin. 300 calories of the perfectly balanced...for me...blend of carbs, protein and fat. And, tasty. I would scarf one down after a morning 6 mile run.

I thought it was even less calories.

seb146 wrote:
KFC. The brosband loves it and can not get enough of it. I get sick every time we go there. I don't know if it is just this one or the whole chain. I will get him KFC if he wants but I will go anywhere else.

One of the things we agree on. KFC is gross!

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I honestly never get the hate of McDonald's. I find their food to be absolutely fine.

Yea really. It's overrated but more than fine as far as fast food goes.

casinterest

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:27 pm

I generally don't avoid any of them. I will try something on the menu. However if there was an intersection with all of them. Taco Bell and Hardee's would be least likely to get my business. Mostly because of service issues though.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

hoons90

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Burger King in Canada/USA.
For some reason, Burger King is excellent in Korea and not very good in North America.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Aaron747

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:48 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Burger King in Canada/USA.
For some reason, Burger King is excellent in Korea and not very good in North America.

Agreed. BK and KFC have incredible, sector-leading quality in Japan and Korea. It's unbelievable they can't get their act together in the home market.

phatfarmlines

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:59 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I will never go to a Wienerschnitzel or KFC.

Both make disgusting food. W's chili is puke and most of everything KFC makes is so bad.

What fast food joints do you avoid?

I had a really bad case of food poisoning on the first and only time I ate at Wienerschnitzel, which involved the aforementioned chili. Good thing there are none out where I live now. I'll stick with Nathan's Coneys.

seb146

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
I generally don't avoid any of them. I will try something on the menu. However if there was an intersection with all of them. Taco Bell and Hardee's would be least likely to get my business. Mostly because of service issues though.

Hardees in California is Carl's Jr. which partners with Green Burrito. The only time I ever go to Carl's Jr. is for Green Burrito!

ER757

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:35 pm

I avoid Taco Bell - just godawful slop. It's cheap but you get what you pay for
Consistently disappointed at Jack in the Box so don't go there any longer
Not crazy about Burger King either - they're okay in a pinch but if there's a Wendy's nearby, BK is off the radar

ACDC8

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:35 pm

A&W - way overpriced and bland.
Last edited by ACDC8 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

noviorbis77

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:37 pm

The chips in KFC are fairly naff.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 pm

Considering these comments, I’m quite happy to avoid all of these spawns of the devil incarnate.

TSS

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Ehhh...

For me personally there was always aforementioned reconstituted onions on the burgers which were chopped so small that it was impossible to remove all of them. Add to that how special ordering anything used to really throw a spanner in the works for them, a fact that resulted in Burger King launching their long-running "Have it your way" ad campaign with the jingle "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us". Chicken McNuggets taste good but, like oysters, you definitely don't want to look at one after you've bitten it in half.

chimborazo wrote:
I don’t think Mucky Ds class themselves as fast food. “Everyone” classes them as such because they are generally pretty fast and have most things either already cooked or they don’t take too long to put together. Plus the Drive Thru gives a not unreasonable expectation that you’ll get what you ordered pretty rapidly, although not always. But they call themselves a restaurant.

Odd that, since McD's pretty much invented, or at the very least perfected and standardized, the whole "Fast Food" genre.

chimborazo wrote:
Always have to check the bag before driving off as some of the staff are incapable of transferring a list on a screen to putting the same items in a bag.

That's pretty much everywhere. Ideally I want my order both fast and correct, but I'll be much more forgiving of one of those criteria if the other one is on point, i.e. "It took forever but at least it's right" or "I didn't order this and they left out that, but at least they got the wrong food to me in record time". There was a Captain D's near me that managed to consistently fail on both counts- Your order would take forever to arrive and STILL be wrong in several ways. I gave up on that location for years until the sign out front proclaimed "Under New Management" and apparently the new person runs a much tighter ship because orders were delivered perfect and fast.

noviorbis77 wrote:

For those not familiar with UK slang, is "naff" good or bad? ;)

flipdewaf

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:37 pm

TSS wrote:
Chicken McNuggets taste good but, like oysters, you definitely don't want to look at one after you've bitten it in half.

The chicken for chicken nuggets is the waste chicken from the breast that is put through a stamp to standardise the size for the various chicken sandwiches, people like to think it's brains and feet but it really isn't. at least in the UK.

TSS wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

For those not familiar with UK slang, is "naff" good or bad? ;)
Naff is bad. I'm not allowed to comment on the quality of chips from any fast food restaurants so couldn't possibly pass judgement on whether KFC's are Naff or not.

Fred

afcjets

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 am

NIKV69 wrote:

seb146 wrote:

Since you both hate KFC you'll both like this and I bet Seb will enjoy telling brosband. (btw my autocorrect changed his name to Brisbane lol)

Back in the late 1980s IIRC KFC removed chicken from the menu. Everything was just one piece, two piece, etc. I heard it was for liability purposes in case someone accused them of not selling real chicken. I believed it for the longest time and it might have been true or somewhat true, but I think chicken is back on the menu. Also telling is they used to be Kentucky Fried Chicken until they rebranded as KFC, coincidence? :rotfl:

afcjets

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:26 am

I hate all fast food restaurants now because I have an aversion to soybean oil and they all use it. It might be the unhealthiest thing on the planet. The strange thing about soybean oil is it is in almost every fast food or chain restaurant, but I've never seen it on the shelf at a supermarket or in anyone's home, except in mayonnaise, ranch dressing, and many processed foods. Costco has 100 percent avacado oil mayonnaise which is a healthy oil. I don't really use mayo all that much but if I do I use that one (olive oil mayo tastes nasty imo even though I like olive oil). Actually all vegetable oils are unhealthy but I especially hate soybean oil. Ben Greenfield who I like and trust said eating a whole bag of cotton candy is healthier than vegetable oil because you burn it off fast, whereas fats can stay in your system for a really long time and even make up part of your body composition.

Edit: Chick fil A might be the exception, at least for their chicken. They fry it in peanut oil, which is their secret ingredient and gives it that flavor. It might be a blend that includes soybean oil and I bet their fries are fried in soybean oil, but not totally sure.

TSS

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:21 am

afcjets wrote:
I hate all fast food restaurants now because I have an aversion to soybean oil and they all use it. It might be the unhealthiest thing on the planet. The strange thing about soybean oil is it is in almost every fast food or chain restaurant, but I've never seen it on the shelf at a supermarket or in anyone's home, except in mayonnaise, ranch dressing, and many processed foods. Costco has 100 percent avacado oil mayonnaise which is a healthy oil. I don't really use mayo all that much but if I do I use that one (olive oil mayo tastes nasty imo even though I like olive oil). Actually all vegetable oils are unhealthy but I especially hate soybean oil. Ben Greenfield who I like and trust said eating a whole bag of cotton candy is healthier than vegetable oil because you burn it off fast, whereas fats can stay in your system for a really long time and even make up part of your body composition.

Edit: Chick fil A might be the exception, at least for their chicken. They fry it in peanut oil, which is their secret ingredient and gives it that flavor. It might be a blend that includes soybean oil and I bet their fries are fried in soybean oil, but not totally sure.

What an interesting and occasionally bizarre rabbit hole I just went down inspired by your post. Apparently there are people who reach anti-vaxxer levels of paranoia over restaurants using the correct scientific terms rather than brand or common names for long-established and well-documented ingredients. I imagine some of their heads might explode if they found out their drinking water contained a large percentage of the dreaded chemical dihydrogen monoxide.

Anyway, at least as of last summer Chick-Fil-A uses canola oil to fry their waffle fries-

https://www.mashed.com/223923/the-ingredient-youd-be-surprised-is-inside-chick-fil-as-waffle-fries/

Aaron747

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:03 am

afcjets wrote:

Like almost any cooking oil, especially vegetable oils, how unhealthy soybean oil is depends on the extent of hydrogenation. Liquid soybean oil is the safest, danger increases by partially and fully hydrogenated versions (solid block form). Source: my first cousin, a research cardiologist.

seb146

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:49 am

afcjets wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

seb146 wrote:

Since you both hate KFC you'll both like this and I bet Seb will enjoy telling brosband. (btw my autocorrect changed his name to Brisbane lol)

Back in the late 1980s IIRC KFC removed chicken from the menu. Everything was just one piece, two piece, etc. I heard it was for liability purposes in case someone accused them of not selling real chicken. I believed it for the longest time and it might have been true or somewhat true, but I think chicken is back on the menu. Also telling is they used to be Kentucky Fried Chicken until they rebranded as KFC, coincidence? :rotfl:

That is funny about autocorrect! I have to tell the brosband.

Side note, We are still waiting to see if we are actually married. We could be because of state laws.

It must have been a different country where KFC was not selling chicken. In the States, we classified ketchup as a vegetable, so I doubt it was here in America.

luckyone

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:19 am

With the exception of Chipotle or whatever similarly set up burrito joint I tend to avoid them all unless I’m on a long drive. There’s plenty of equally caloric, but better food out there.

Once in a blue moon Taco Bell takes me back to college.

If I’m on the long trip my preferred choice would be Arby’s for lunch/dinner as I like their menu variety and can pick from several things and not find that it all tastes the same.
McDonalds for breakfast.
Culver’s is good sometimes, and they have good desserts that put DQ to shame.
I don’t have a problem with the food at Chik-fil-A but their politics always starts a self righteous diatribe from whoever’s in the car with me, regardless of their political persuasion. Between that and the fact that where I grew up Chik-fil-A was treated as an essential food group to be treated sacrosanct and as such was eaten for every school/church/team meal, I tend to avoid it. Usually I’ll just tell people I don’t like it. The grilled chicken actually is very dry and the breaded chicken sucks up grease like a sponge—though it tastes good.

Under no circumstances will I ever eat at a Captain D’s or Long John Silver. It’s most likely a perception but just the idea of a bad piece of overly fried fish just twists my stomach into knots.

TSS

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:10 am

luckyone wrote:
Under no circumstances will I ever eat at a Captain D’s or Long John Silver. It’s most likely a perception but just the idea of a bad piece of overly fried fish just twists my stomach into knots.

Captain D's honestly isn't that bad for what it is, and their I believe it's called "homestyle" fish with a cornbread batter is quite good. It ain't haute cuisine by any means, but then you're not having to make reservations or pay haute cuisine prices for it, either.

Long John Silver's on the other hand is every bit as vile as you'd imagine it to be. Twice, once in the 70s and once in the 00s, Long John Silver's has tried to enter the Birmingham market by opening several stores around town and both times they were soundly spanked and sent back home crying by Captain D's.

That reminds me- The only seafood restaurant I've ever eaten in that served worse food than Long John Silver's was a place called Carey Hilliard's, a local seafood chain in Savannah Georgia. Not only was all their food obviously prepackaged frozen, it also appeared to have been frozen for a very long time. I would have found this inexcusable anywhere, but especially so in an area on the coast with an active shrimping industry nearby.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:49 am

UK- I have a kind of hierarchy. If I'm on a long drive home to see family or whatever and fast food is my only option then I always look for McD's or Subway then if not then BK (best tasting burgers, although they seem to be getting quite expensive), failing that then grab something in Gregg's or Starbucks/Costa. KFC is avoided at all costs because they rake too long just to get my order wrong. It's at every single outlet, and I'm not ordering anything out of the ordinary options. Plus it tastes crap.

Compared the the others, McD's is run like a military operation. Quick, fresh and right near enough all the time, even if I order a variation on an item. (I always remove ketchup from the breakfast options)

US- I've not eaten at many fast food places in the US. McD's was fine, pretty much the same quality as we get in the UK but different options on the menu. I once ate at a Denny's, never again shall I do that. Greasy, tasteless food in a dirty, loud place.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

afcjets

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Like almost any cooking oil, especially vegetable oils, how unhealthy soybean oil is depends on the extent of hydrogenation. Liquid soybean oil is the safest, danger increases by partially and fully hydrogenated versions (solid block form). Source: my first cousin, a research cardiologist.

I forgot about hydrogenated oils and margarine. I know some processed foods still have them but I never eat garbage that would have them and thankfully (or hopefully) they are less common than before.

I don't know if it's true but I have heard margarine is only one molecule away from plastic and that it's so unnatural even houseflies won't land on it, yet they will land on some pretty disgusting other things.

afcjets

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:52 am

TSS wrote:
What an interesting and occasionally bizarre rabbit hole I just went down inspired by your post. Apparently there are people who reach anti-vaxxer levels of paranoia over restaurants using the correct scientific terms rather than brand or common names for long-established and well-documented ingredients. I imagine some of their heads might explode if they found out their drinking water contained a large percentage of the dreaded chemical dihydrogen monoxide.

Anyway, at least as of last summer Chick-Fil-A uses canola oil to fry their waffle fries-

https://www.mashed.com/223923/the-ingredient-youd-be-surprised-is-inside-chick-fil-as-waffle-fries/

I drink purified drinking water purified via reverse osmosis. It's only 8 cents per 16.9 oz bottle. Reverse osmosis is the only thing that will remove pharmaceuticals from drinking water, which are so overused in this country (USA) they've even creeped into even most spring waters (that cost more than 8 cents per bottle). Yes, I know the plastic bottles have chemicals but avoiding plastic is almost impossible. I just won't heat anything in or with plastic.

I don't like consuming rapeseed oil either but I will. It was re-branded as Canola oil long before the #metoo movement.

One of my pet peeves is labels that say "Soybean or Canola oil" or the use of the word "or" anywhere in the ingredient list.
My attitude is when you figure out what you use get back to me, but for now I'll pass.

Aaron747

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:53 am

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I forgot about hydrogenated oils and margarine. I know some processed foods still have them but I never eat garbage that would have them and thankfully (or hopefully) they are less common than before.

I don't know if it's true but I have heard margarine is only one molecule away from plastic and that it's so unnatural even houseflies won't land on it, yet they will land on some pretty disgusting other things.

Well the worry is restaurants may still use hydrogenated oil because of its low cost and long shelf life. Large chains are more unlikely since they can buy slightly more expensive oil at bulk rates and use 'healthier' oil in their marketing.

B777LRF

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 am

Speaking of ...

SWMBO purchased some very nice minced meat yesterday, and this morning has made some equally nice brioche buns. Which means that, by lunch time, I shall be making home made burgers of unsurpassed quality. Now that's proper fast food, which will put every single burger you can buy anywhere to shame!
Signature. You just read one.

Dano1977

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Fast food I avoid...

Dominos - I've had it twice now in a 5 year period and both times I was violently ill

Pizza Hut - Overpriced rubbish

KFC - Just don't like it

Costa Coffee - More like Costa fortune

Taco Bell - eurgghh

McDonalds - Only eat there as a last resort
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Wife and I are old and like most old people we eat far less than we might have 40 years ago. At home everything is cooked from scratch, on road trips eating is almost a chore. Regular restaurants serve just too much food, even if we split a meal. So our preference is fast foods, most of them have small hamburgers and a small ice-cream dessert for my wife. We tend to order by the calories, and at the end of the day a 250-400 calorie hamburger is just about right. Esp if it has lettuce, tomato, and pickle. I can't keep track of what Tex-Mex fast food is merely OK, and the bad ones so we avoid them. We love Jr Whoppers - maybe we could call them Sr Whoppers, and no sides please.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

af773atmsp

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:47 pm

I avoid all of it most of the time unless I'm traveling and need a quick bite to eat.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

T18

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Yeah I don't touch McDonalds with a ten foot pole, their food is poor quality and the thought of it makes me sick. I also avoid White Castle, the place literally stinks lol. Think those are the only 2 I actively avoid
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

ER757

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:50 pm

T18 wrote:
Yeah I don't touch McDonalds with a ten foot pole, their food is poor quality and the thought of it makes me sick. I also avoid White Castle, the place literally stinks lol. Think those are the only 2 I actively avoid

When I lived in the Chicago area, the only time we'd go to White Castle was after our band played a gig, we packed up all our gear (we didn't have roadies) and there was nothing else open at that hour :smile:

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:11 am

Dano1977 wrote:
Taco Bell - eurgghh

I am shocked that people in the southwest think Taco Bell is better than Del Taco. Are they nuts! Del Taco is much better. Taco Bell is pretty bad.

seb146

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
Taco Bell - eurgghh

I am shocked that people in the southwest think Taco Bell is better than Del Taco. Are they nuts! Del Taco is much better. Taco Bell is pretty bad.

I was indoctrinated by Taco Bell. I will always ALWAYS!!! go to Del Taco first. Every damn time. They are not authentic Mexican by any means. I would rather have Del Taco hands down.

Actually, I would rather have Taco John, but I don't want to muddy the waters ;)

seb146

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:19 am

ER757 wrote:
T18 wrote:

When I lived in the Chicago area, the only time we'd go to White Castle was after our band played a gig, we packed up all our gear (we didn't have roadies) and there was nothing else open at that hour :smile:

The one and only time we went to White Castle it was awful. We didn't get sick but nothing (and I mean nothing) was right about any of it. Everything was off. The brosband has never been there so I will get a water so he can have it but I will nope the heck out of there.