Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:06 pm

People in large US metros are increasingly concerned about the rash of anti-Asian violence seen in recent months, culminating in the attack in ATL on Tuesday evening.

There has been a lot of important and interesting commentary both within and outside the AAPI community - from mitigation measures to cultural steps to improve reporting. Young Asian-Americans are increasingly fed up and standing up for the community as a whole. One problem friends and colleagues of mine have cited is the generation gap between immigrant parents and those under-40, in which parents don't want to call attention to themselves or the community by reporting incidents. Another issue is the longstanding oversexualization of women in the community stemming from Chinese exclusion, and US military members' experiences in post-WW2/Korea/Vietnam eras.

The states with the largest Asian populations are the focal point of community efforts and citizens of these states will hopefully rally around these communities: CA, NY, TX, NJ, IL, WA, FL, VA, and MA. Did not include HI because AAPI are a majority there.

https://apnews.com/article/why-georgia- ... 7ed2f0e76b

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/54376 ... cans-after

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Socie ... rge-in-US2

Image

AP photo from Nikkei article cited above
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm

I have asked a similar question before but how did American invented the term AAPI? It is a bit absurd although there are still commonality in geographical area to group everyone from Asia as Asian, but then Pacific Islanders also being grouped together?


Back to the topic, I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 pm

c933103 wrote:
I have asked a similar question before but how did American invented the term AAPI? It is a bit absurd although there are still commonality in geographical area to group everyone from Asia as Asian, but then Pacific Islanders also being grouped together?


Back to the topic, I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.



Let me get this straight; you believe Asian Americans are experiencing racist violence because they won't fully "integrate" into American society?
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:52 pm

An important missing point the OP missed or omitted, how Affirmative Action really affects Asian Americans. Is a policy that discriminates against them. Strange how this was missed.

About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.

Dont understand why the MSM needs to feed on a fake narrative that the killer did it because he hated Asians and was white and thats something goinf on in this country. Unfortunate, using everything for politics.

Everything is politics now because they believe the solution to everything is politics.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm

c933103 wrote:
I have asked a similar question before but how did American invented the term AAPI? It is a bit absurd although there are still commonality in geographical area to group everyone from Asia as Asian, but then Pacific Islanders also being grouped together?


Back to the topic, I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.


Americans didn't 'invent' the AAPI term - it was adopted for use by the US Census in the 1990s. It's a government designation out of convenience because Filipinos were formerly considered Pacific Islanders, is my understanding.

As for Japanese-Americans, you'd have to ask them what assimilation means to them. The ones I grew up around the San Jose, CA area are very tight-knit and have maintained a strong sense of community. Yes, you can find some elderly people in any US city's Chinatown who have always lived there, use the Chinese bank, and don't 'actively participate in American society' - if by that you mean not watching NFL games or eating hot dogs in the park with friends. That doesn't mean they should be victims of violence, right? Not sure what relevance that has to anything. Racists don't care if someone has 'assimilated' or not - they just care that they look different.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:01 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
An important missing point the OP missed or omitted, how Affirmative Action really affects Asian Americans. Is a policy that discriminates against them. Strange how this was missed.

About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.

Dont understand why the MSM needs to feed on a fake narrative that the killer did it because he hated Asians and was white and thats something goinf on in this country. Unfortunate, using everything for politics.

Everything is politics now because they believe the solution to everything is politics.


Um I didn't address anything about AA because it's not necessary and your assertion is absurd. In the SF/San Jose area where I grew up, Asians are 34% of the population, yet they are 50% or more of Silicon Valley employment. Oh yeah, very serious AA deleterious effects happening there. :sarcastic:

There is no 'fake narrative' - DHS and FBI reports from 2019 and 2020 clearly indicate white supremacist violence is the top national threat. That's an official assessment, not an MSM opinion. The Nikkei article linked in the first post also quotes a study showing attacks on Asians are up 150% since 2019.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... ssment.pdf

All three drafts contain the following sentence further down in the same section: “Among DVEs [Domestic Violent Extremists], we judge that white supremacist extremists (WSEs) will remain the most persistent and lethal threat in the Homeland through 2021.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... dhs-409236

The investigation is nowhere near complete, so you can't judge the ATL killer's intent until all of his communications and past history are looked at. And if you're going to discuss him, how about taking it to the other thread for that?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:06 pm

mbmbos wrote:
c933103 wrote:
I have asked a similar question before but how did American invented the term AAPI? It is a bit absurd although there are still commonality in geographical area to group everyone from Asia as Asian, but then Pacific Islanders also being grouped together?


Back to the topic, I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.



Let me get this straight; you believe Asian Americans are experiencing racist violence because they won't fully "integrate" into American society?

I am not saying what I believe; I am just saying according to my knowledge some of them are trying to deal with the situation in American society this way, and I have not attached moral judgement to their selection
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
I have asked a similar question before but how did American invented the term AAPI? It is a bit absurd although there are still commonality in geographical area to group everyone from Asia as Asian, but then Pacific Islanders also being grouped together?


Back to the topic, I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.


Americans didn't 'invent' the AAPI term - it was adopted for use by the US Census in the 1990s. It's a government designation out of convenience because Filipinos were formerly considered Pacific Islanders, is my understanding.

I see.
As for Japanese-Americans, you'd have to ask them what assimilation means to them. The ones I grew up around the San Jose, CA area are very tight-knit and have maintained a strong sense of community. Yes, you can find some elderly people in any US city's Chinatown who have always lived there, use the Chinese bank, and don't 'actively participate in American society' - if by that you mean not watching NFL games or eating hot dogs in the park with friends. That doesn't mean they should be victims of violence, right? Not sure what relevance that has to anything. Racists don't care if someone has 'assimilated' or not - they just care that they look different.

I am not trying to argue whether their decision are good or not and obviously individuals have different choice even on such a big and collectivized topic, that's just some tidbits I have came across on how some different groups of people have chose to deal with and respond to the situation in American society that I want to share about in this thread about the current situation in American society related to them.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
An important missing point the OP missed or omitted, how Affirmative Action really affects Asian Americans. Is a policy that discriminates against them. Strange how this was missed.

About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.

Dont understand why the MSM needs to feed on a fake narrative that the killer did it because he hated Asians and was white and thats something goinf on in this country. Unfortunate, using everything for politics.

Everything is politics now because they believe the solution to everything is politics.


Um I didn't address anything about AA because it's not necessary and your assertion is absurd. In the SF/San Jose area where I grew up, Asians are 34% of the population, yet they are 50% or more of Silicon Valley employment. Oh yeah, very serious AA deleterious effects happening there. :sarcastic:

There is no 'fake narrative' - DHS and FBI reports from 2019 and 2020 clearly indicate white supremacist violence is the top national threat. That's an official assessment, not an MSM opinion. The Nikkei article linked in the first post also quotes a study showing attacks on Asians are up 150% since 2019.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... ssment.pdf

All three drafts contain the following sentence further down in the same section: “Among DVEs [Domestic Violent Extremists], we judge that white supremacist extremists (WSEs) will remain the most persistent and lethal threat in the Homeland through 2021.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... dhs-409236

The investigation is nowhere near complete, so you can't judge the ATL killer's intent until all of his communications and past history are looked at. And if you're going to discuss him, how about taking it to the other thread for that?


Nice way to deflect.

There are laws on the book, that actively discriminate against Asian Americans. Yet you chose to deflect. You appear to be very worried about Asian Americans, yet you dismiss Affirmative Action as something not 'necessary' to discuss on a thread where you voice concern for discrimination against Asian Americans.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
FGITD
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:31 pm

According to an eyewitness, the shooter declared that he was going to kill all Asians, and actively sought out specific Asian run massage parlors.

But he was just a good religious boy having a bad day. You know, as one does.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:34 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
An important missing point the OP missed or omitted, how Affirmative Action really affects Asian Americans. Is a policy that discriminates against them. Strange how this was missed.

About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.

Dont understand why the MSM needs to feed on a fake narrative that the killer did it because he hated Asians and was white and thats something goinf on in this country. Unfortunate, using everything for politics.

Everything is politics now because they believe the solution to everything is politics.


Um I didn't address anything about AA because it's not necessary and your assertion is absurd. In the SF/San Jose area where I grew up, Asians are 34% of the population, yet they are 50% or more of Silicon Valley employment. Oh yeah, very serious AA deleterious effects happening there. :sarcastic:

There is no 'fake narrative' - DHS and FBI reports from 2019 and 2020 clearly indicate white supremacist violence is the top national threat. That's an official assessment, not an MSM opinion. The Nikkei article linked in the first post also quotes a study showing attacks on Asians are up 150% since 2019.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... ssment.pdf

All three drafts contain the following sentence further down in the same section: “Among DVEs [Domestic Violent Extremists], we judge that white supremacist extremists (WSEs) will remain the most persistent and lethal threat in the Homeland through 2021.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... dhs-409236

The investigation is nowhere near complete, so you can't judge the ATL killer's intent until all of his communications and past history are looked at. And if you're going to discuss him, how about taking it to the other thread for that?


Nice way to deflect.

There are laws on the book, that actively discriminate against Asian Americans. Yet you chose to deflect. You appear to be very worried about Asian Americans, yet you dismiss Affirmative Action as something not 'necessary' to discuss on a thread where you voice concern for discrimination against Asian Americans.


The topic is violence on significant rise against this community, not your pet causes and interests.

Asians are represented well above their % of the population in excellent fields like law, finance, tech and medicine. Yet they occupy very few leadership positions - perhaps you should look up something called the ‘bamboo ceiling’ if you’re interested in their discrimination.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Um I didn't address anything about AA because it's not necessary and your assertion is absurd. In the SF/San Jose area where I grew up, Asians are 34% of the population, yet they are 50% or more of Silicon Valley employment. Oh yeah, very serious AA deleterious effects happening there. :sarcastic:

There is no 'fake narrative' - DHS and FBI reports from 2019 and 2020 clearly indicate white supremacist violence is the top national threat. That's an official assessment, not an MSM opinion. The Nikkei article linked in the first post also quotes a study showing attacks on Asians are up 150% since 2019.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... ssment.pdf

All three drafts contain the following sentence further down in the same section: “Among DVEs [Domestic Violent Extremists], we judge that white supremacist extremists (WSEs) will remain the most persistent and lethal threat in the Homeland through 2021.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... dhs-409236

The investigation is nowhere near complete, so you can't judge the ATL killer's intent until all of his communications and past history are looked at. And if you're going to discuss him, how about taking it to the other thread for that?


Nice way to deflect.

There are laws on the book, that actively discriminate against Asian Americans. Yet you chose to deflect. You appear to be very worried about Asian Americans, yet you dismiss Affirmative Action as something not 'necessary' to discuss on a thread where you voice concern for discrimination against Asian Americans.


The topic is violence on significant rise against this community, not your pet causes and interests.


Since you brought up Veterans as part of this thread, may I ask, do you have evidence of US war veterans causing violence against Asian Americans?

Another issue is the longstanding oversexualization of women in the community stemming from Chinese exclusion, and US military members' experiences in post-WW2/Korea/Vietnam eras.


What exactly does this have to do with violence against Asian Americans?
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:43 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Nice way to deflect.

There are laws on the book, that actively discriminate against Asian Americans. Yet you chose to deflect. You appear to be very worried about Asian Americans, yet you dismiss Affirmative Action as something not 'necessary' to discuss on a thread where you voice concern for discrimination against Asian Americans.


The topic is violence on significant rise against this community, not your pet causes and interests.


Since you brought up Veterans as part of this thread, may I ask, do you have evidence of US war veterans causing violence against Asian Americans?

Another issue is the longstanding oversexualization of women in the community stemming from Chinese exclusion, and US military members' experiences in post-WW2/Korea/Vietnam eras.


What exactly does this have to do with violence against Asian Americans?


I did not bring up veterans - what are you talking about?

As for the effects of oversexualizing Asian women, columnist Jeff Yang explains far better than I can - read the whole thread:

https://twitter.com/originalspin/status ... 00001?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:07 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Nice way to deflect.

There are laws on the book, that actively discriminate against Asian Americans. Yet you chose to deflect. You appear to be very worried about Asian Americans, yet you dismiss Affirmative Action as something not 'necessary' to discuss on a thread where you voice concern for discrimination against Asian Americans.


The topic is violence on significant rise against this community, not your pet causes and interests.


Since you brought up Veterans as part of this thread, may I ask, do you have evidence of US war veterans causing violence against Asian Americans?

Another issue is the longstanding oversexualization of women in the community stemming from Chinese exclusion, and US military members' experiences in post-WW2/Korea/Vietnam eras.


What exactly does this have to do with violence against Asian Americans?


This also answers your question directly:

https://nnedv.org/latest_update/stereot ... ian-women/

Far from harmless, this hypersexualized narrative leads to sexual objectification and violence. The everyday racism and sexism against Asian women yields deadly results, as this dehumanization creates a climate that makes violence excusable: 41 to 61 percent of Asian women report experiencing physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime. [4] This is significantly higher than any other ethnic group.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:39 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.


I do believe one can be racist and at the same time, objectify the women of said race. This occurred during the Transatlantic slave trade, and was depicted in the 1999 movie "Amistad."

I'll await what comes out of the investigation, but maybe the cops are already feeling empathetic towards the killer as depicted below, and we won't get the true picture.

FGITD wrote:
But he was just a good religious boy having a bad day. You know, as one does.


For reference, the quote from the Cherokee County (NW Atlanta exurb) Sheriff spokesman(Source: ABC11 Atlanta News):

"Long 'understood the gravity of [his crime]. And he was pretty much fed up, had been kind of at the end of his rope, and yesterday was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did.' "

Terrible quote from the sheriff. Bad day for him, but a good day for the eight perished? Why does this remind me of the Burger King purchase for Dylann Roof?
 
Airontario
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:42 pm

It's a shame the names and stories of the victims are not the focus of this terrorist act. Time and time again, when these mass violence events happen, we spend weeks analyzing the perpetrator and his motives. Instead I believe we need to focus on the victims. No need to give a mass shooter the time of day, leave that to the justice system. I want to hear the stories of the people who lost heir lives.

We need to humanize the victims, instead of turning them into numbers.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:51 pm

Airontario wrote:
It's a shame the names and stories of the victims are not the focus of this terrorist act. Time and time again, when these mass violence events happen, we spend weeks analyzing the perpetrator and his motives. Instead I believe we need to focus on the victims. No need to give a mass shooter the time of day, leave that to the justice system. I want to hear the stories of the people who lost heir lives.

We need to humanize the victims, instead of turning them into numbers.


Agreed but info is slow to come out on this one...supposedly due to language barrier. Korean language media has some info on the victims already. Incredible that with 50k+ Koreans in metro ATL the big networks can’t solve the language barrier.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23468
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:32 pm

c933103 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
c933103 wrote:
I have asked a similar question before but how did American invented the term AAPI? It is a bit absurd although there are still commonality in geographical area to group everyone from Asia as Asian, but then Pacific Islanders also being grouped together?


Back to the topic, I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.



Let me get this straight; you believe Asian Americans are experiencing racist violence because they won't fully "integrate" into American society?

I am not saying what I believe; I am just saying according to my knowledge some of them are trying to deal with the situation in American society this way, and I have not attached moral judgement to their selection


I don't know much about the Asian community at large. We had a Filipino family living next to us in STS and that was my strongest connection to the Asian community. The mother lived there. She spoke some English but mostly Tagalog. She watched her grandkids, went to the market, and lived her life. She did not have much interaction with people in general. Many seniors do just that, not just Asians.

I do have deep experiences with the Hispanic community. They celebrate their cultures and languages. They do business with Spanish speaking businesses more than English only ones. That does not mean they are not integrated. To say that "Asians do not integrate" is wrong.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
FGITD
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:01 pm

Airontario wrote:
It's a shame the names and stories of the victims are not the focus of this terrorist act. Time and time again, when these mass violence events happen, we spend weeks analyzing the perpetrator and his motives. Instead I believe we need to focus on the victims. No need to give a mass shooter the time of day, leave that to the justice system. I want to hear the stories of the people who lost heir lives.

We need to humanize the victims, instead of turning them into numbers.


We always see this point come up for every major shooting/attack.

While I agree overall, from a point of interest...it’s because unfortunately the dead were doing nothing noteworthy.

There’s no interest in “John woke up, got his coffee, punched in to work, and then got shot dead” vs “Steve woke up, drove across town and bought a gun, then went into an office and shot John.”

There’s no immediate clear WHY it happened for the perpetrator, whereas we know why the victims ended up in that situation. Usually because they work or go to school there. The victims are people we can associate with. They were just living, doing what they can to get by, just like most of us. The attacker though...something broke. They aren’t like us.

Think of it like driving on the highway. You pass 100 sedans and think nothing. Then you see one that crashed over a barrier and ended halfway up a pole and you wonder why it happened.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:37 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.


You might as well argue that you have Asian friends so therefore you can't be racist.
You can racist comments against Asians but because you know Asian friends you can't be racist.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1833
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:54 pm

My sister-in-law was born in NJ to parents who emigrated from Hong Kong, and is now a partner in a law firm in MA. I find it interesting that, even at a professional level, there is a sufficient perceived need for race-based professional associations (of which she is a member), as well as race-based charities. I don't see this happening as often in my own country (Australia).

I haven't spoken with her about the issue, but hope that my nephew doesn't suffer racism as he grows up.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 am

seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:


Let me get this straight; you believe Asian Americans are experiencing racist violence because they won't fully "integrate" into American society?

I am not saying what I believe; I am just saying according to my knowledge some of them are trying to deal with the situation in American society this way, and I have not attached moral judgement to their selection


I don't know much about the Asian community at large. We had a Filipino family living next to us in STS and that was my strongest connection to the Asian community. The mother lived there. She spoke some English but mostly Tagalog. She watched her grandkids, went to the market, and lived her life. She did not have much interaction with people in general. Many seniors do just that, not just Asians.

I do have deep experiences with the Hispanic community. They celebrate their cultures and languages. They do business with Spanish speaking businesses more than English only ones. That does not mean they are not integrated. To say that "Asians do not integrate" is wrong.

Zero part of my post say, or even imply, anything near what you say.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:26 pm

c933103 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
I am not saying what I believe; I am just saying according to my knowledge some of them are trying to deal with the situation in American society this way, and I have not attached moral judgement to their selection


I don't know much about the Asian community at large. We had a Filipino family living next to us in STS and that was my strongest connection to the Asian community. The mother lived there. She spoke some English but mostly Tagalog. She watched her grandkids, went to the market, and lived her life. She did not have much interaction with people in general. Many seniors do just that, not just Asians.

I do have deep experiences with the Hispanic community. They celebrate their cultures and languages. They do business with Spanish speaking businesses more than English only ones. That does not mean they are not integrated. To say that "Asians do not integrate" is wrong.

Zero part of my post say, or even imply, anything near what you say.


Then why all the anecdotal tripe about how Asians won't assimilate? How is it relevant if not to justify said violence?
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23468
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:29 pm

c933103 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
I am not saying what I believe; I am just saying according to my knowledge some of them are trying to deal with the situation in American society this way, and I have not attached moral judgement to their selection


I don't know much about the Asian community at large. We had a Filipino family living next to us in STS and that was my strongest connection to the Asian community. The mother lived there. She spoke some English but mostly Tagalog. She watched her grandkids, went to the market, and lived her life. She did not have much interaction with people in general. Many seniors do just that, not just Asians.

I do have deep experiences with the Hispanic community. They celebrate their cultures and languages. They do business with Spanish speaking businesses more than English only ones. That does not mean they are not integrated. To say that "Asians do not integrate" is wrong.

Zero part of my post say, or even imply, anything near what you say.


Your first post in this thread was about "Asians need to integrate into society". I was responding to that.

Something that bothers me about "(ethnic group) needs to integrate" is I see it as racist. I am not saying you specifically, c933103, mean this. This notion of "(ethnic group) needs to integrate" usually means they need to speak only English and eat only American food and watch American sports and television. Why? If they are living their lives, working, paying taxes, going to school, obeying the laws, what difference does it make if they still eat the foods of their homelands and watch shows of their culture and speak their native language? Why is that so offensive?

Again, I am not calling you out, c933103. I am asking general questions.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:44 pm

mbmbos wrote:
c933103 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I don't know much about the Asian community at large. We had a Filipino family living next to us in STS and that was my strongest connection to the Asian community. The mother lived there. She spoke some English but mostly Tagalog. She watched her grandkids, went to the market, and lived her life. She did not have much interaction with people in general. Many seniors do just that, not just Asians.

I do have deep experiences with the Hispanic community. They celebrate their cultures and languages. They do business with Spanish speaking businesses more than English only ones. That does not mean they are not integrated. To say that "Asians do not integrate" is wrong.

Zero part of my post say, or even imply, anything near what you say.


Then why all the anecdotal tripe about how Asians won't assimilate? How is it relevant if not to justify said violence?


I have no idea why you think my message include anecdotal tripe that Asian won't assimilate

seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I don't know much about the Asian community at large. We had a Filipino family living next to us in STS and that was my strongest connection to the Asian community. The mother lived there. She spoke some English but mostly Tagalog. She watched her grandkids, went to the market, and lived her life. She did not have much interaction with people in general. Many seniors do just that, not just Asians.

I do have deep experiences with the Hispanic community. They celebrate their cultures and languages. They do business with Spanish speaking businesses more than English only ones. That does not mean they are not integrated. To say that "Asians do not integrate" is wrong.

Zero part of my post say, or even imply, anything near what you say.


Your first post in this thread was about "Asians need to integrate into society". I was responding to that.

Something that bothers me about "(ethnic group) needs to integrate" is I see it as racist. I am not saying you specifically, c933103, mean this. This notion of "(ethnic group) needs to integrate" usually means they need to speak only English and eat only American food and watch American sports and television. Why? If they are living their lives, working, paying taxes, going to school, obeying the laws, what difference does it make if they still eat the foods of their homelands and watch shows of their culture and speak their native language? Why is that so offensive?

Again, I am not calling you out, c933103. I am asking general questions.

it is not me who think so, it is those Japanese American who think so after their experience. Some mighe even argue that they have overdone it.
What I am talking about is the approach adopted by different groups in the society. Some of those approach to the American society are problematic which is part of the problen of the American society as well, if you really treat those people as member of American society
And the solution wouldn't just be telling them what they do is problematic but also help resolve the situation that caused them to grow such mentality
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:02 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
An important missing point the OP missed or omitted, how Affirmative Action really affects Asian Americans. Is a policy that discriminates against them. Strange how this was missed.

About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.

Dont understand why the MSM needs to feed on a fake narrative that the killer did it because he hated Asians and was white and thats something goinf on in this country. Unfortunate, using everything for politics.

Everything is politics now because they believe the solution to everything is politics.


Um I didn't address anything about AA because it's not necessary and your assertion is absurd. In the SF/San Jose area where I grew up, Asians are 34% of the population, yet they are 50% or more of Silicon Valley employment. Oh yeah, very serious AA deleterious effects happening there. :sarcastic:

There is no 'fake narrative' - DHS and FBI reports from 2019 and 2020 clearly indicate white supremacist violence is the top national threat. That's an official assessment, not an MSM opinion. The Nikkei article linked in the first post also quotes a study showing attacks on Asians are up 150% since 2019.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... ssment.pdf

All three drafts contain the following sentence further down in the same section: “Among DVEs [Domestic Violent Extremists], we judge that white supremacist extremists (WSEs) will remain the most persistent and lethal threat in the Homeland through 2021.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... dhs-409236

The investigation is nowhere near complete, so you can't judge the ATL killer's intent until all of his communications and past history are looked at. And if you're going to discuss him, how about taking it to the other thread for that?


Nice way to deflect.

There are laws on the book, that actively discriminate against Asian Americans. Yet you chose to deflect. You appear to be very worried about Asian Americans, yet you dismiss Affirmative Action as something not 'necessary' to discuss on a thread where you voice concern for discrimination against Asian Americans.


Correct, many famous universities are strongly, proudly racist against Asians. It is hard to fully state how critical race is, in their opinion, to the decision whether to admit a student. And it's not a secret. Far from it. These universities proudly talk about special programs and privileges for particular ethnic groups. It's sick.

It's sick because people think they are in a position to infantilize someone else, to condescend to someone else, purely based on the color of their skin and nothing else. This is racism. And it's a mental disorder.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:06 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The topic is violence on significant rise against this community, not your pet causes and interests.


Since you brought up Veterans as part of this thread, may I ask, do you have evidence of US war veterans causing violence against Asian Americans?

Another issue is the longstanding oversexualization of women in the community stemming from Chinese exclusion, and US military members' experiences in post-WW2/Korea/Vietnam eras.


What exactly does this have to do with violence against Asian Americans?


This also answers your question directly:

https://nnedv.org/latest_update/stereot ... ian-women/

Far from harmless, this hypersexualized narrative leads to sexual objectification and violence. The everyday racism and sexism against Asian women yields deadly results, as this dehumanization creates a climate that makes violence excusable: 41 to 61 percent of Asian women report experiencing physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime. [4] This is significantly higher than any other ethnic group.


Well, it seems that inadvertently you have stumbled upon one of the main reasons of why this tragedy happened in Atlanta. "Hypersexualization", not racism against Asians may have led to the shooter committing these horrible murders. He has said he was a sex addict, addicted to porn and such (he could have chosen an Asian restaurant). I know you may not like the argument because it will go against the narrative that all bad things happen because of racism, but its quite evident that hypersexualization is not only a problem faced by Asian women, but by other women too, fed by our culture (see last Sunday's grammy's 'performance' by Cardi B) that promotes this, all in the name of 'empowerment'. Which causes the contrary effect as you mention in your citation, it objectifies women, and may very well create situations of murder, rape and other horrible acts as cited in your link.

But I fear you will say you are not against it, since it goes against the narrative that the issue is racism, and you are probably in favor of female 'empowerment'. But I am using your source, which you posted and directly says that hypersexualization leads to violence. So its not my opinion, your citation proves my point, and probably one of the motives in the Atlanta shooting.

But I am sure the MSM won't investigate this further, and find out the reality of why this horrible event happened, they will just bury it under the rug, the same way they have treated George Floyd case. The police have indicated in having evidence the Atlanta shooter frequented these places and had sexual services there https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/18 ... assage-spa So hopefully something good out of all of this might happen, and a HUGE crackdown on sexual services on these establishments end, therefore ending the hypersexualization of Asian women and even sex trafficking.

Probably this won't since the narrative is everything is racism.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Since you brought up Veterans as part of this thread, may I ask, do you have evidence of US war veterans causing violence against Asian Americans?



What exactly does this have to do with violence against Asian Americans?


This also answers your question directly:

https://nnedv.org/latest_update/stereot ... ian-women/

Far from harmless, this hypersexualized narrative leads to sexual objectification and violence. The everyday racism and sexism against Asian women yields deadly results, as this dehumanization creates a climate that makes violence excusable: 41 to 61 percent of Asian women report experiencing physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime. [4] This is significantly higher than any other ethnic group.


Well, it seems that inadvertently you have stumbled upon one of the main reasons of why this tragedy happened in Atlanta. "Hypersexualization", not racism against Asians may have led to the shooter committing these horrible murders. He has said he was a sex addict, addicted to porn and such (he could have chosen an Asian restaurant). I know you may not like the argument because it will go against the narrative that all bad things happen because of racism, but its quite evident that hypersexualization is not only a problem faced by Asian women, but by other women too, fed by our culture (see last Sunday's grammy's 'performance' by Cardi B) that promotes this, all in the name of 'empowerment'. Which causes the contrary effect as you mention in your citation, it objectifies women, and may very well create situations of murder, rape and other horrible acts as cited in your link.

But I fear you will say you are not against it, since it goes against the narrative that the issue is racism, and you are probably in favor of female 'empowerment'. But I am using your source, which you posted and directly says that hypersexualization leads to violence. So its not my opinion, your citation proves my point, and probably one of the motives in the Atlanta shooting.

But I am sure the MSM won't investigate this further, and find out the reality of why this horrible event happened, they will just bury it under the rug, the same way they have treated George Floyd case. The police have indicated in having evidence the Atlanta shooter frequented these places and had sexual services there https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/18 ... assage-spa So hopefully something good out of all of this might happen, and a HUGE crackdown on sexual services on these establishments end, therefore ending the hypersexualization of Asian women and even sex trafficking.

Probably this won't since the narrative is everything is racism.


Nothing inadvertent about it - I said in the OP that Asian women in particular feel targeted. As for the ‘narrative’ you keep prattling on about, it’s quite incredible you just keep pretending like attacks on this particular group are not up 150% since 2019. Why are you not inclined to discuss why?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1688
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:02 pm

Went out to eat last night, and happened upon the rally in my city getting ready to march. Good crowd, good energy. It's was heartening to see.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
maverick4002
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:16 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
An important missing point the OP missed or omitted, how Affirmative Action really affects Asian Americans. Is a policy that discriminates against them. Strange how this was missed.

About what happened in Atlanta, dont understand the media narrative, the killers intention wasnt killing Asian Americans, he might have chosen Asian restaurants, or other types of Asian businesses, yet he chose masaage parlors and admitted he was a sex addict.

Dont understand why the MSM needs to feed on a fake narrative that the killer did it because he hated Asians and was white and thats something goinf on in this country. Unfortunate, using everything for politics.

Everything is politics now because they believe the solution to everything is politics.


I was expecting a comment like this from you and a few others (I still need to peruse the rest of this thread to see if the others have appeared). Thanks for being you!
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

This also answers your question directly:

https://nnedv.org/latest_update/stereot ... ian-women/

Far from harmless, this hypersexualized narrative leads to sexual objectification and violence. The everyday racism and sexism against Asian women yields deadly results, as this dehumanization creates a climate that makes violence excusable: 41 to 61 percent of Asian women report experiencing physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime. [4] This is significantly higher than any other ethnic group.


Well, it seems that inadvertently you have stumbled upon one of the main reasons of why this tragedy happened in Atlanta. "Hypersexualization", not racism against Asians may have led to the shooter committing these horrible murders. He has said he was a sex addict, addicted to porn and such (he could have chosen an Asian restaurant). I know you may not like the argument because it will go against the narrative that all bad things happen because of racism, but its quite evident that hypersexualization is not only a problem faced by Asian women, but by other women too, fed by our culture (see last Sunday's grammy's 'performance' by Cardi B) that promotes this, all in the name of 'empowerment'. Which causes the contrary effect as you mention in your citation, it objectifies women, and may very well create situations of murder, rape and other horrible acts as cited in your link.

But I fear you will say you are not against it, since it goes against the narrative that the issue is racism, and you are probably in favor of female 'empowerment'. But I am using your source, which you posted and directly says that hypersexualization leads to violence. So its not my opinion, your citation proves my point, and probably one of the motives in the Atlanta shooting.

But I am sure the MSM won't investigate this further, and find out the reality of why this horrible event happened, they will just bury it under the rug, the same way they have treated George Floyd case. The police have indicated in having evidence the Atlanta shooter frequented these places and had sexual services there https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/18 ... assage-spa So hopefully something good out of all of this might happen, and a HUGE crackdown on sexual services on these establishments end, therefore ending the hypersexualization of Asian women and even sex trafficking.

Probably this won't since the narrative is everything is racism.


Nothing inadvertent about it - I said in the OP that Asian women in particular feel targeted. As for the ‘narrative’ you keep prattling on about, it’s quite incredible you just keep pretending like attacks on this particular group are not up 150% since 2019. Why are you not inclined to discuss why?


You want me to tell you why these attacks are happening? well, I certainly don't think it has to do with white supremacy, there hasn't been reports of white supremacists attacking Asians, if there are please do post the evidence. I did manage to find out that they mostly happen in Democrat run cities, which are very liberal and are supposed to be very tolerant and 'diverse'.

Image

Can't see any direct evidence that this happens in 'maga country'. And as for the race of the attackers, well its very diverse, so I dont know.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

https://abc7ny.com/woman-set-on-fire-el ... e/6333749/

Not sure what's wrong with one of the most liberal cities in the world, which is New York, in recent years there have also been attacks directed at the jewish communities, that did not receive same attention for some reason https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/jewis ... index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/17/nyre ... tacks.html

Don't know exactly if we can blame Trump or MAGA people for the attacks on the jewish community, if that's what exactly is the narrative here. Law enforcement in these cities need to tackle this, it appears they are a bit hesitant to confront the authors of these attacks, don't know. That will certainly help deter.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:43 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Well, it seems that inadvertently you have stumbled upon one of the main reasons of why this tragedy happened in Atlanta. "Hypersexualization", not racism against Asians may have led to the shooter committing these horrible murders. He has said he was a sex addict, addicted to porn and such (he could have chosen an Asian restaurant). I know you may not like the argument because it will go against the narrative that all bad things happen because of racism, but its quite evident that hypersexualization is not only a problem faced by Asian women, but by other women too, fed by our culture (see last Sunday's grammy's 'performance' by Cardi B) that promotes this, all in the name of 'empowerment'. Which causes the contrary effect as you mention in your citation, it objectifies women, and may very well create situations of murder, rape and other horrible acts as cited in your link.

But I fear you will say you are not against it, since it goes against the narrative that the issue is racism, and you are probably in favor of female 'empowerment'. But I am using your source, which you posted and directly says that hypersexualization leads to violence. So its not my opinion, your citation proves my point, and probably one of the motives in the Atlanta shooting.

But I am sure the MSM won't investigate this further, and find out the reality of why this horrible event happened, they will just bury it under the rug, the same way they have treated George Floyd case. The police have indicated in having evidence the Atlanta shooter frequented these places and had sexual services there https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/18 ... assage-spa So hopefully something good out of all of this might happen, and a HUGE crackdown on sexual services on these establishments end, therefore ending the hypersexualization of Asian women and even sex trafficking.

Probably this won't since the narrative is everything is racism.


Nothing inadvertent about it - I said in the OP that Asian women in particular feel targeted. As for the ‘narrative’ you keep prattling on about, it’s quite incredible you just keep pretending like attacks on this particular group are not up 150% since 2019. Why are you not inclined to discuss why?


You want me to tell you why these attacks are happening? well, I certainly don't think it has to do with white supremacy, there hasn't been reports of white supremacists attacking Asians, if there are please do post the evidence. I did manage to find out that they mostly happen in Democrat run cities, which are very liberal and are supposed to be very tolerant and 'diverse'.

Image

Can't see any direct evidence that this happens in 'maga country'. And as for the race of the attackers, well its very diverse, so I dont know.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

https://abc7ny.com/woman-set-on-fire-el ... e/6333749/

Not sure what's wrong with one of the most liberal cities in the world, which is New York, in recent years there have also been attacks directed at the jewish communities, that did not receive same attention for some reason https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/jewis ... index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/17/nyre ... tacks.html

Don't know exactly if we can blame Trump or MAGA people for the attacks on the jewish community, if that's what exactly is the narrative here. Law enforcement in these cities need to tackle this, it appears they are a bit hesitant to confront the authors of these attacks, don't know. That will certainly help deter.


Why is so much of this post content deliberately obtuse?

A. Racists and supremacists exist in large US metros, not just MAGA country

B. Nowhere in the thread have I or anyone claimed these attacks were only in MAGA country

C. The OP mentioned the states where AAPI population is largest, so your chart is redundant

Anything else? :boggled:

Pop quiz: if there was a rising tide of violence toward Asians, would the last POTUS’s ‘china virus’ and ‘kung flu’ editorializing help or worsen the situation? Asking for all my Asian friends and colleagues.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23468
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:25 am

c933103 wrote:
it is not me who think so, it is those Japanese American who think so after their experience. Some mighe even argue that they have overdone it.
What I am talking about is the approach adopted by different groups in the society. Some of those approach to the American society are problematic which is part of the problen of the American society as well, if you really treat those people as member of American society
And the solution wouldn't just be telling them what they do is problematic but also help resolve the situation that caused them to grow such mentality


The post I was referring to said

I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.


Asians have been treated poorly here for a very long time. Hard labor building the railroads and hard labor working in the ship yards. Angel Island in San Francisco Bay was called "Ellis Island of the West" because immigrants would be held there. The town where I grew up had an entire town built under the town mostly by Asians because there was so much hatred of Asians. In fact, it was illegal for them to be on the street after dark. It was perfectly legal for them to be shot for that "crime". And, yes, there are the internment camps. Given the treatment of minorities (Asians, to keep this thread on topic) by whites, explain why they should be forced to integrate into "American" society? Yes, some make an effort. But, because of this nation's history and current embrace of racism, others do not want anything to do with integrating. And I don't blame them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15611
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:23 am

The USA has a bad history with persons from Asia. The deadly attacks in the Atlanta area with others elsewhere in the USA are getting national attention. Some suggest the growing numbers of attacks over Asians is over the apparent source of Covid-19, made worse by a generally negative opinion of the Chinese government, many blaming industrial job losses to them and with Pres. Trump, needing an excuse to cover up his failures as to Covid-19 cheerleading hate toward Chinese looking persons. Like with the too many deaths of Black persons during or in attempts by law enforcement officers to attest using excessive force leading to massive protests last year, this year Asians are challenging the prejudice, discrimination and violence they too have suffered for years over.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23468
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:13 am

ltbewr wrote:
The USA has a bad history with persons from Asia. The deadly attacks in the Atlanta area with others elsewhere in the USA are getting national attention. Some suggest the growing numbers of attacks over Asians is over the apparent source of Covid-19, made worse by a generally negative opinion of the Chinese government, many blaming industrial job losses to them and with Pres. Trump, needing an excuse to cover up his failures as to Covid-19 cheerleading hate toward Chinese looking persons. Like with the too many deaths of Black persons during or in attempts by law enforcement officers to attest using excessive force leading to massive protests last year, this year Asians are challenging the prejudice, discrimination and violence they too have suffered for years over.


Republicans shift the hate. From Blacks to LGBTQ to Muslims to Latinos to Asians.... Just keep shifting the hate until something works.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 4050
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:18 am

What is “American society” if not just a collective of things done by “Americans”. If some Americans choose to do something or behaves in a different way than others then what makes one more integral with “American society” than another?

Feels like the trope of being ‘unpatriotic’ to disagree with fox opinion.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 4050
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:24 am

seb146 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The USA has a bad history with persons from Asia. The deadly attacks in the Atlanta area with others elsewhere in the USA are getting national attention. Some suggest the growing numbers of attacks over Asians is over the apparent source of Covid-19, made worse by a generally negative opinion of the Chinese government, many blaming industrial job losses to them and with Pres. Trump, needing an excuse to cover up his failures as to Covid-19 cheerleading hate toward Chinese looking persons. Like with the too many deaths of Black persons during or in attempts by law enforcement officers to attest using excessive force leading to massive protests last year, this year Asians are challenging the prejudice, discrimination and violence they too have suffered for years over.


Republicans shift the hate. From Blacks to LGBTQ to Muslims to Latinos to Asians.... Just keep shifting the hate until something works.


That’s easier than looking to ones self, it takes someone who isn’t a snowflake to be able to allow themselves to be criticised.

I fit one find it quite funny when the same few delicate little flowers drag them selves out in these threads.

I know it’s bad but when I see a story posted on the internet I do like to see if the usual racists covered in a thin veil of “I have no opinion, I’m just describing a particular view point that one could hold” turn up.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:53 am

seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
it is not me who think so, it is those Japanese American who think so after their experience. Some mighe even argue that they have overdone it.
What I am talking about is the approach adopted by different groups in the society. Some of those approach to the American society are problematic which is part of the problen of the American society as well, if you really treat those people as member of American society
And the solution wouldn't just be telling them what they do is problematic but also help resolve the situation that caused them to grow such mentality


The post I was referring to said

I have read about article from people in Japanese American community that think after experiencing the hostile treatnent in the WWII era and then less than positive attitude during Japanese bubble economy, they've determined that the best way to avoid troubles in the American society is to fully integrate into the American society and try to avoid any troubles even when tge situation might be against them.
I have also heard of story of old Chinese American who just intended to earn money in the US, but as times goes on they become settled in the US, yet they still see their home in China and thus wouldn't actively participate in American society.


Asians have been treated poorly here for a very long time. Hard labor building the railroads and hard labor working in the ship yards. Angel Island in San Francisco Bay was called "Ellis Island of the West" because immigrants would be held there. The town where I grew up had an entire town built under the town mostly by Asians because there was so much hatred of Asians. In fact, it was illegal for them to be on the street after dark. It was perfectly legal for them to be shot for that "crime". And, yes, there are the internment camps. Given the treatment of minorities (Asians, to keep this thread on topic) by whites, explain why they should be forced to integrate into "American" society? Yes, some make an effort. But, because of this nation's history and current embrace of racism, others do not want anything to do with integrating. And I don't blame them.

Again I don't know why you would read my post and think it mean they should be forced to integrate into "American" society, especially for the part of the post you cited which are simply the perception and action of those Asian American themselves.
I would have to apologize if my expression wasn't clear enough that have caused trouble in understanding
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
Cerecl
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:22 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am

c933103 wrote:
Again I don't know why you would read my post and think it mean they should be forced to integrate into "American" society, especially for the part of the post you cited which are simply the perception and action of those Asian American themselves.
I would have to apologize if my expression wasn't clear enough that have caused trouble in understanding


The topic is hate-crime on Asians. You talked about American Japanese who reached the conclusion to avoid trouble they needed to integrate. Then the next paragraph is about some American Chinese sticking to mostly Chinese lifestyle. With these in mind, what is the point of your post/what message did you wish to convey? Clearly multiple members reached the same impression that you are now denying. From reading your previous posts, if you are not Asian in ethnicity, then you have a keen interest in issues in East Asia. I find it difficult to believe you could be oblivious to how your post would come across.

What the American Japanese went through during WWII would and should be considered completely unacceptable nowadays. The last thing we need is anyone finding justification to vilify immigrants who have absolutely no control if the country they left and the country they now call home go into conflict.
Fokker-100 SAAB 340 Q400 E190 717 737 738 763ER 787-8 772 77E 773 77W 747-400 747-400ER A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A346 A359 A380
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:54 am

flipdewaf wrote:
What is “American society” if not just a collective of things done by “Americans”. If some Americans choose to do something or behaves in a different way than others then what makes one more integral with “American society” than another?

Feels like the trope of being ‘unpatriotic’ to disagree with fox opinion.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Agreed - being ‘American’ just means doing your own thing, whatever that is.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:59 am

Cerecl wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Again I don't know why you would read my post and think it mean they should be forced to integrate into "American" society, especially for the part of the post you cited which are simply the perception and action of those Asian American themselves.
I would have to apologize if my expression wasn't clear enough that have caused trouble in understanding


The topic is hate-crime on Asians. You talked about American Japanese who reached the conclusion to avoid trouble they needed to integrate. Then the next paragraph is about some American Chinese sticking to mostly Chinese lifestyle. With these in mind, what is the point of your post/what message did you wish to convey? Clearly multiple members reached the same impression that you are now denying. From reading your previous posts, if you are not Asian in ethnicity, then you have a keen interest in issues in East Asia. I find it difficult to believe you could be oblivious to how your post would come across.

What the American Japanese went through during WWII would and should be considered completely unacceptable nowadays. The last thing we need is anyone finding justification to vilify immigrants who have absolutely no control if the country they left and the country they now call home go into conflict.

In my post, across both the part that comment on the choice of some Japanese American and the part that comment on the choice of some Chinese American, I have no intention to either praise or dismiss them.
The intention of my post is, given the historical background of these different groups of Asian in the America, reflect the choice they're being compiled to make to live in the American society.
And with me being someone from Asia I cannot comment ob the choice made by those who have immigrated to the United States from Asia, I believe the options made by these different groups reflect the environment which complied them to choose such a way of living.
Hence I am surprised to see others seeing my comment as racist when my intention is to reflect the circumstances encountered and action decided by the groups of people I have read about in the environment they have had to navigate across
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:56 am

seb146 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The USA has a bad history with persons from Asia. The deadly attacks in the Atlanta area with others elsewhere in the USA are getting national attention. Some suggest the growing numbers of attacks over Asians is over the apparent source of Covid-19, made worse by a generally negative opinion of the Chinese government, many blaming industrial job losses to them and with Pres. Trump, needing an excuse to cover up his failures as to Covid-19 cheerleading hate toward Chinese looking persons. Like with the too many deaths of Black persons during or in attempts by law enforcement officers to attest using excessive force leading to massive protests last year, this year Asians are challenging the prejudice, discrimination and violence they too have suffered for years over.


Republicans shift the hate. From Blacks to LGBTQ to Muslims to Latinos to Asians.... Just keep shifting the hate until something works.



Once they inevitably lose the fight to stop a minority from receiving basic human rights they move onto another group. There will be more to come and then more after that. They’re experts at demonizing.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23468
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:30 pm

c933103 wrote:
Cerecl wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Again I don't know why you would read my post and think it mean they should be forced to integrate into "American" society, especially for the part of the post you cited which are simply the perception and action of those Asian American themselves.
I would have to apologize if my expression wasn't clear enough that have caused trouble in understanding


The topic is hate-crime on Asians. You talked about American Japanese who reached the conclusion to avoid trouble they needed to integrate. Then the next paragraph is about some American Chinese sticking to mostly Chinese lifestyle. With these in mind, what is the point of your post/what message did you wish to convey? Clearly multiple members reached the same impression that you are now denying. From reading your previous posts, if you are not Asian in ethnicity, then you have a keen interest in issues in East Asia. I find it difficult to believe you could be oblivious to how your post would come across.

What the American Japanese went through during WWII would and should be considered completely unacceptable nowadays. The last thing we need is anyone finding justification to vilify immigrants who have absolutely no control if the country they left and the country they now call home go into conflict.

In my post, across both the part that comment on the choice of some Japanese American and the part that comment on the choice of some Chinese American, I have no intention to either praise or dismiss them.
The intention of my post is, given the historical background of these different groups of Asian in the America, reflect the choice they're being compiled to make to live in the American society.
And with me being someone from Asia I cannot comment ob the choice made by those who have immigrated to the United States from Asia, I believe the options made by these different groups reflect the environment which complied them to choose such a way of living.
Hence I am surprised to see others seeing my comment as racist when my intention is to reflect the circumstances encountered and action decided by the groups of people I have read about in the environment they have had to navigate across


I don't think your comment was racist. I just don't understand why people need to completely integrate into American culture and society. There are many groups who keep their own culture and also take part in American culture. Not just Japanese but many Europeans. Both cultures can exist at the same time. Go to any large city and you can see it.

With all the hate and violence against certain minority groups these days, I understand shutting out whites, though...
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14068
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:31 pm

A racist crime happened, some might call it a terror attack. You can argue it wasn't racist but it doesn't matter, clearly the people looking like the victims feel it was one.

A GOP representative from Texas thinks it's a good time to talk about lynching people and is unapologetic about it, saying it's "justice" : https://news.yahoo.com/tall-oak-tree-te ... 09651.html

The US is really in a bad place...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1981
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 pm

seb146 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The USA has a bad history with persons from Asia. The deadly attacks in the Atlanta area with others elsewhere in the USA are getting national attention. Some suggest the growing numbers of attacks over Asians is over the apparent source of Covid-19, made worse by a generally negative opinion of the Chinese government, many blaming industrial job losses to them and with Pres. Trump, needing an excuse to cover up his failures as to Covid-19 cheerleading hate toward Chinese looking persons. Like with the too many deaths of Black persons during or in attempts by law enforcement officers to attest using excessive force leading to massive protests last year, this year Asians are challenging the prejudice, discrimination and violence they too have suffered for years over.


Republicans shift the hate. From Blacks to LGBTQ to Muslims to Latinos to Asians.... Just keep shifting the hate until something works.


The massage parlor shootings in Atlanta have quickly become about race simply because Asian-Americans were the tragic victims. Despite the shooter admitting that his actions were driven by a deep sex addiction, and not race, our corrupt and unapologetic media, and this current administrations, continue to push the race narrative to further divide this country. Simple demographics lead to Asian-Americans being the victims here. A greater percentage of these businesses are run by Asian-Americans, so it would make sense that it wasn't African Americans, white people or American Indians that became the targets. People.....STOP MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT RACE!!!! Start instead by investigating first, getting all the facts, and then reporting about it accurately and fairly. We will never come together as a country unless something is done about this identity politics and biased media coverage. Oh and by the way this attack notwithstanding most attacks on Asians have actually been perpetrated by black males plenty of video out there to prove it.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Oh well if the shooter said it wasn't about race, then obviously he's telling the truth.

After all, he was out to end sexual temptation. That's why he drove past multiple strip clubs and sex shops on his way to other Asian massage parlors.

In that case, I think it's safe to say we can blame religion for this one.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:10 pm

seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Cerecl wrote:

The topic is hate-crime on Asians. You talked about American Japanese who reached the conclusion to avoid trouble they needed to integrate. Then the next paragraph is about some American Chinese sticking to mostly Chinese lifestyle. With these in mind, what is the point of your post/what message did you wish to convey? Clearly multiple members reached the same impression that you are now denying. From reading your previous posts, if you are not Asian in ethnicity, then you have a keen interest in issues in East Asia. I find it difficult to believe you could be oblivious to how your post would come across.

What the American Japanese went through during WWII would and should be considered completely unacceptable nowadays. The last thing we need is anyone finding justification to vilify immigrants who have absolutely no control if the country they left and the country they now call home go into conflict.

In my post, across both the part that comment on the choice of some Japanese American and the part that comment on the choice of some Chinese American, I have no intention to either praise or dismiss them.
The intention of my post is, given the historical background of these different groups of Asian in the America, reflect the choice they're being compiled to make to live in the American society.
And with me being someone from Asia I cannot comment ob the choice made by those who have immigrated to the United States from Asia, I believe the options made by these different groups reflect the environment which complied them to choose such a way of living.
Hence I am surprised to see others seeing my comment as racist when my intention is to reflect the circumstances encountered and action decided by the groups of people I have read about in the environment they have had to navigate across


I don't think your comment was racist. I just don't understand why people need to completely integrate into American culture and society. There are many groups who keep their own culture and also take part in American culture. Not just Japanese but many Europeans. Both cultures can exist at the same time. Go to any large city and you can see it.

With all the hate and violence against certain minority groups these days, I understand shutting out whites, though...

I am not trying to say the method taken by the Japanese American are model, or that they should be copied by anyone else. But it reflected their mentality, at leaat for the group being interviewed in the article I have read. Many like you, including also newer generation of those Japanese American who grow up in the US in the modern time, cannot understand fully why they feel the need to adopt such a mindset. I cannot say what is needed to do to understand such mindset but I can only say there are things that shouldn't be done to avoid others feeling the same in the future.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5280
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:17 pm

FGITD wrote:
Oh well if the shooter said it wasn't about race, then obviously he's telling the truth.

After all, he was out to end sexual temptation. That's why he drove past multiple strip clubs and sex shops on his way to other Asian massage parlors.

In that case, I think it's safe to say we can blame religion for this one.

There are report from Korean media citing local source that the shooter said he want to kill all Asian, when he commit the crime.
https://www.chosun.com/international/us ... 4HGRZGOG4/
https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/18/atl ... -community
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Topic Author
Posts: 14014
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:50 pm

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The USA has a bad history with persons from Asia. The deadly attacks in the Atlanta area with others elsewhere in the USA are getting national attention. Some suggest the growing numbers of attacks over Asians is over the apparent source of Covid-19, made worse by a generally negative opinion of the Chinese government, many blaming industrial job losses to them and with Pres. Trump, needing an excuse to cover up his failures as to Covid-19 cheerleading hate toward Chinese looking persons. Like with the too many deaths of Black persons during or in attempts by law enforcement officers to attest using excessive force leading to massive protests last year, this year Asians are challenging the prejudice, discrimination and violence they too have suffered for years over.


Republicans shift the hate. From Blacks to LGBTQ to Muslims to Latinos to Asians.... Just keep shifting the hate until something works.


The massage parlor shootings in Atlanta have quickly become about race simply because Asian-Americans were the tragic victims. Despite the shooter admitting that his actions were driven by a deep sex addiction, and not race, our corrupt and unapologetic media, and this current administrations, continue to push the race narrative to further divide this country. Simple demographics lead to Asian-Americans being the victims here. A greater percentage of these businesses are run by Asian-Americans, so it would make sense that it wasn't African Americans, white people or American Indians that became the targets. People.....STOP MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT RACE!!!! Start instead by investigating first, getting all the facts, and then reporting about it accurately and fairly. We will never come together as a country unless something is done about this identity politics and biased media coverage. Oh and by the way this attack notwithstanding most attacks on Asians have actually been perpetrated by black males plenty of video out there to prove it.


Are you sure about that?

https://www.chosun.com/international/us ... 4HGRZGOG4/

AA women in particular have a lot of justification for feeling the weight of the issue. Are you saying they shouldn’t call it racism?

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/19/97934001 ... can-societ
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23468
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Crowds In Multiple US Cities Protest Attacks on Asians

Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:36 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The USA has a bad history with persons from Asia. The deadly attacks in the Atlanta area with others elsewhere in the USA are getting national attention. Some suggest the growing numbers of attacks over Asians is over the apparent source of Covid-19, made worse by a generally negative opinion of the Chinese government, many blaming industrial job losses to them and with Pres. Trump, needing an excuse to cover up his failures as to Covid-19 cheerleading hate toward Chinese looking persons. Like with the too many deaths of Black persons during or in attempts by law enforcement officers to attest using excessive force leading to massive protests last year, this year Asians are challenging the prejudice, discrimination and violence they too have suffered for years over.


Republicans shift the hate. From Blacks to LGBTQ to Muslims to Latinos to Asians.... Just keep shifting the hate until something works.


The massage parlor shootings in Atlanta have quickly become about race simply because Asian-Americans were the tragic victims. Despite the shooter admitting that his actions were driven by a deep sex addiction, and not race, our corrupt and unapologetic media, and this current administrations, continue to push the race narrative to further divide this country. Simple demographics lead to Asian-Americans being the victims here. A greater percentage of these businesses are run by Asian-Americans, so it would make sense that it wasn't African Americans, white people or American Indians that became the targets. People.....STOP MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT RACE!!!! Start instead by investigating first, getting all the facts, and then reporting about it accurately and fairly. We will never come together as a country unless something is done about this identity politics and biased media coverage. Oh and by the way this attack notwithstanding most attacks on Asians have actually been perpetrated by black males plenty of video out there to prove it.


But when a shooter targets people based on race, it is racial. His "bad day" could have seen him opening fire at a Cracker Barrel or Lululemon or Curves but, no.

You want things to stop being about race but when people commit crimes because they hate this race or that race, maybe it is not the victim's fault.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheF15Ace and 54 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos