Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zippyjet
Topic Author

Atlantic Hurricane Season Naming Changed

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:53 pm

Sorry if my title is vague and if this was already covered. On Accuweather I just learned there will be a major change in regard to how hurricanes during the Atlantic Hurricane season are named. Here's a link to this story.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurrican ... nes/917017

After all the A-Z assigned hurricane names have been used in a season up through last year subsequent storms would be named using the letters of the Greek alphabet.I believe during this process even if a Greek Letter Hurricane was a major disaster the Greek Letter would not be required. Whereas any catastrophic hurricane would be retired. So, there will never be another hurricane (Atlantic Basin) named Irma, Katrina, Cleo etc. In place of the Greek alphabet additional storms will start at the letter A and work through the alphabet. These names will be pre-assigned per season. If one of these becomes a major disaster/hurricane its name could be retired. In the article you'll find the names for this coming season. So far since hurricanes have been named only the 2005 and last year 2020 had to reach into the Greek Alphabet. I believe the reasoning behind this change? Easier to distinguish and keep track of named storms. Weather authorities feel climate change will mean more storms and more severe. God willing, we won't have to start over with the letter A this coming Atlantic Hurricane season.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

StarAC17

Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season Naming Changed

Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:22 am

Whatever works I guess. This is a tradition that really has no real meaning and whenever there are a bunch of storms at once do you really remember the names. If you live in an at risk area you worry about

I know the cycle works on a male-female alternating cycle and a six year rotating cycle. In the Atlantic this works as the first named storm will be Ana and the supplemental one would be Adria. Both are female names that's fine. In 2022 however the first name is Alex which (although a unisex name) is male in this case so shouldn't there be a male starting list to align with the regular list, just sayin'. Also why can't my name "Timothy" be on the Atlantic list :hissyfit:

Source: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

I cannot remember what comedian said it (I think Bill Maher) we need to stop giving the storms nice names that don't instill fear. Lets not call the Hurricane "Hurricane Lisa" lets call it "Hurricane Ludacris" people will be scared with the latter.
Also Ludacris literally has a song called "Move b***h, get out the way" :biggrin: :biggrin:
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

cjg225

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:28 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
I cannot remember what comedian said it (I think Bill Maher) we need to stop giving the storms nice names that don't instill fear. Lets not call the Hurricane "Hurricane Lisa" lets call it "Hurricane Ludacris" people will be scared with the latter.
Also Ludacris literally has a song called "Move b***h, get out the way" :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm sure multiple comedians have tackled this topic, but if not, you're referring to Lewis Black.

Lewis Black on fall, hurricanes, and weathermen (I probably shouldn't need to warn people that Lewis Black swears a lot, so.... be careful)
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

ltbewr

Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Perhaps they should use popular last/family names like Smith, Jackson, Johnson, Chen, Gupta, Cohen, Murphy, Dante and so on.
Part of the reason for hurricane naming is for the US Weather Service and in turn Weather Channel to keep track of them and for marketing. The Weather Channel even gives names to winter storms now but they are the only ones to do so, most place will call the 'blizzard' or Northeaster of date/year.

c933103

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:12 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Perhaps they should use popular last/family names like Smith, Jackson, Johnson, Chen, Gupta, Cohen, Murphy, Dante and so on.
Part of the reason for hurricane naming is for the US Weather Service and in turn Weather Channel to keep track of them and for marketing. The Weather Channel even gives names to winter storms now but they are the only ones to do so, most place will call the 'blizzard' or Northeaster of date/year.

Thing with storm naming is that, if the storm with such name become really bad, the name can be connected to the death of many people and destruction of many property, be associated with such disruptive effect, be written into the history and be retired from the list. Hence popular family name isn't really suitable.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

seb146

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:55 pm

Naming winter storms is worthless, IMO. Hurricanes should change because we never know how many storms will form in any given year. So, why not year, date, Greek letter? For example, if the first storm of this year were to be declared a tropical depression on May10, it's designation would be 2021-05-10 Alpha or, simply 10A.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

maverick4002

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 pm

This isnt a big deal. The current naming convention is fine. You say Hurricane Katrina and you know what people are talking about. You say Andrew, and you know. You say Sandy and you know. You say Mitch and you know! Bad hurricanes get retired. Its not a big deal.

c933103

Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:41 pm

seb146 wrote:
Naming winter storms is worthless, IMO. Hurricanes should change because we never know how many storms will form in any given year. So, why not year, date, Greek letter? For example, if the first storm of this year were to be declared a tropical depression on May10, it's designation would be 2021-05-10 Alpha or, simply 10A.

Degree of conveniency and consistency
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones

T18

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
Naming winter storms is worthless, IMO.

Its not just you, last I checked the NWS agrees. Frankly I find it stupid of them to think they have the right to set 'criteria' for storm naming and act like its anything more than a marketing tool.

As for Hurricane naming, not sure why we can't just drop Greek Letters as needed and replace them with other alphabets or phonetic names, for example if we retire Beta, just insert Bravo or the second letter of another alphabet. I do wonder if the predictions of more storms being a norm pans out if they will elect to raise the limit for a Tropical storm a touch just to avoid using names on a storm that just reaches the limit and then dissipates harmlessly. (somewhat like the change to the Threshold for Severe Thunderstorms being changed a few years back)
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

casinterest

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:53 pm

The greek letters all seemed good until we had to retire two of them.

2005 and 2020 are the only two years that have seen the Greek letters used
in 2020 the strongest storm was Iota. So now we need a new plan less we run out of greek letters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... per_season

I still think we should bring back old names after 50-100 years. We could name then with the Katrina the 2nd or other nomenclatures :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Okie

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
The greek letters all seemed good until we had to retire two of them.

2005 and 2020 are the only two years that have seen the Greek letters used
in 2020 the strongest storm was Iota. So now we need a new plan less we run out of greek letters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... per_season

I still think we should bring back old names after 50-100 years. We could name then with the Katrina the 2nd or other nomenclatures :)

The only reason we need the Greek Alphabet is because NOAA is "woke" and only has 21 letters the other 5 don't identify as being letters of the NOAA alphabet. :roll:

Okie

c933103

Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:24 pm

T18 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Its not just you, last I checked the NWS agrees. Frankly I find it stupid of them to think they have the right to set 'criteria' for storm naming and act like its anything more than a marketing tool.

Well everyone on the earth have the right to label a random cloud according to whatever names they personally like and this is no different.
As for Hurricane naming, not sure why we can't just drop Greek Letters as needed and replace them with other alphabets or phonetic names, for example if we retire Beta, just insert Bravo or the second letter of another alphabet. I do wonder if the predictions of more storms being a norm pans out if they will elect to raise the limit for a Tropical storm a touch just to avoid using names on a storm that just reaches the limit and then dissipates harmlessly. (somewhat like the change to the Threshold for Severe Thunderstorms being changed a few years back)

Unlikely as Tropical Storm could still cause severe danger to coastal communities

zippyjet
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:55 pm

c933103 wrote:
T18 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Well everyone on the earth have the right to label a random cloud according to whatever names they personally like and this is no different.

Unlikely as Tropical Storm could still cause severe danger to coastal communities

The five letters ignored, one can go online and find first names that start with Q, U, V and Z. Heck, the drug companies name their latest potions that rid the body of zits, earlobe fever and of course the boner pills. Skyrizi, Jenuvia to name a few.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

cjg225

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:35 pm

zippyjet wrote:
Heck, the drug companies name their latest potions that rid the body of zits, earlobe fever and of course the boner pills. Skyrizi, Jenuvia to name a few.

This is one of my favorite parts of working in the pharma industry. And we get the benefit of both the trade names and using the chemical names on a routine basis. We've got big-time tongue-twisters in this industry.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...