Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAUA
Topic Author

Will there be a new UK Royal yacht?

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:57 am

Last edited by UAUA on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
My former profile name was United Airline.

B777LRF

Re: Will there be a new Royal yacht?

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:15 am

No, Dannebrog is doing just fine.
Signature. You just read one.

UAUA
Topic Author

Re: Will there be a new UK Royal yacht?

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:19 am

In the UK I mean.

Aren't they talking about one?

Too costly to recommission Britannia right?

BlueberryWheats

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:29 am

I very much doubt it. Spending all that money on a yacht in this economic climate would not go down well with the UK population, not well at all.

And is a yacht needed? I mean yes the previous one was used as a venue to entertain foreign heads of state but the Royal residences could be used for that. For travel, just use a plane.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

GDB

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:38 am

No, ill informed reports in idiot Tory rags changes nothing, not been needed since 1997, when costs of running by then an old ship could not be justified.
Originally designed in the 1950's with a dual role as a hospital ship in wartime, it was out of date for that by the late 1960's, hence it not being used as such in the Falklands War, (different fuel to modern ships, no heli pad to name two), there was however a much more significant reason too.

Since the late 60's it's real war role was as a command center for the head of the armed forces, (HM The Queen), some senior ministers in a full scale NATO vs Warsaw Pact conflict.
It would hide in the Lochs in Scotland and around the many islands, hence why it was commanded by an Admiral and had upgraded comms equipment.
This role was not disclosed until after the Cold War.

This was the real reason it was kept on, when the next major refit was due that situation no longer existed, hence it's retirement.
(In this situation government would be dispersed to regional areas with full powers of internal government and much more besides, it was likely that the Monarch would sign this Emergency Powers Act off either just before leaving for or on the Royal Yacht).

scbriml

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 am

UAUA wrote:
In the UK I mean.

Absolute folly and, in 2021 of all years, would not be appreciated by the general public at large. Can’t ever see it happening. Even less so as a “present” for Philip - he’d be long dead before it ever set sail.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Aesma

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:22 pm

I can see plenty of reasons for a no, but the first one has to be that the UK century old royals have stopped travelling anyway, so it wouldn't make sense.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
UAUA wrote:
In the UK I mean.

Absolute folly and, in 2021 of all years, would not be appreciated by the general public at large. Can’t ever see it happening. Even less so as a “present” for Philip - he’d be long dead before it ever set sail.

Both the Danish and Norwegian Royal Yachts are considerably older than Britannia and are still operating.

Mortyman

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:16 pm

The Royal Yacht of Norway is very much in use by the King and family both at home and abroad. Originally a British yacht, but sold to Norway in 1946:. The vessel was built in 1937 by Camper and Nicholsons in Gosport, Hampshire as a luxury yacht for Thomas Sopwith, a wealthy British aviation engineer and industrialist, who was then the chairman of the Hawker Siddeley Aircraft Company. One of the world's largest privately owned motor yachts of its time: HNoMY Norge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNoMY_Norge
Last edited by Mortyman on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VSMUT

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
UAUA wrote:
In the UK I mean.

Both the Danish and Norwegian Royal Yachts are considerably older than Britannia and are still operating.

Britannia was also something like 4 times the size of Dannebrog and Norge with around 5 times the crew. I'm gonna bet the operating costs were way higher.

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Britannia was also something like 4 times the size of Dannebrog and Norge with around 5 times the crew. I'm gonna bet the operating costs were way higher.

A new yacht of approx 140m would not need the 250 odd crew of Britannia, 50 would be more than adequate.

Aesma

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:43 pm

A sure way to kill the monarchy.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

proest

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 pm

Aesma wrote:
A sure way to kill the monarchy.

At least we are sure that The Crown has an end then. They seem to be very keen on (already) doing the legwork for seasons covering the new millennium.

cskok8

Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:12 am

Can't beat the Thai royal barge

scbriml

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 am

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
UAUA wrote:
In the UK I mean.

What relevance does that have to the possible purchase of a new boat "as a present for Philip"? :confused:
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Kiwirob

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:

What relevance does that have to the possible purchase of a new boat "as a present for Philip"? :confused:

Lots of stupid things are done in the U.K., brexit, gutting the Army in the latest defence review.........so why not build a new Royal Yacht?

scbriml

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:54 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Lots of stupid things are done in the U.K., brexit, gutting the Army in the latest defence review.........so why not build a new Royal Yacht?

That doesn't answer my question - what does the longevity of other royal yachts have to do with the fantasy of purchasing a new yacht "as a present" for Philip (who some might characterise as a man barely alive)?

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:00 am

scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:

That doesn't answer my question - what does the longevity of other royal yachts have to do with the fantasy of purchasing a new yacht "as a present" for Philip (who some might characterise as a man barely alive)?

I'm answering UAUA question.

GDB

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:59 am

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

This whole idea has been around since the mid 1990's, however there is no real call for it, outside of the fever dreams of those responsible for the other stupid ideas you mention.
Eagerly reported by rags like the Sun and Telegraph, as if it's some popular campaign.
So rather wearying when it comes up every so often, though it proves those pushing it have no real ideas.
I pointed out the real reason Britannia was kept on for so long, you can bet these fake ultra patriot 'Royalists' had no clue about that, like much else besides.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 am

Kiwirob wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

A new yacht of approx 140m would not need the 250 odd crew of Britannia, 50 would be more than adequate.

It does lose some of the charm if it's a new-build.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:46 am

VSMUT wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

You can build a new classic styled superyacht. This is Nero she was launched in 2009.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:55 am

Kiwirob wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

You can build a new classic styled superyacht. This is Nero she was launched in 2009.

Wow, that is a nice design.

What is your opinion on the Dutch frigates that got converted into superyachts BTW?

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:58 am

VSMUT wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Wow, that is a nice design.

What is your opinion on the Dutch frigates that got converted into superyachts BTW?

The conversions resulted in a couple of very odd looking vessels. I don't think the second conversion has been completed.

JJJ

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 am

scbriml wrote:
UAUA wrote:
In the UK I mean.

In the early 2000s a group of businessmen decided to pitch in and make a gift of a new yatch for the King of Spain.

He was pressured to give it back after a few years and eventually ended up sold for a fraction of the cost.

Current political climate doesn't like royal families to behave like the royal families of old.

johns624

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I believe that you're forgetting all the people needed to pamper the royals and wipe their asses after they take a royal crap.

scbriml

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:25 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Then why did you quote me?

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:41 pm

scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Then why did you quote me?

build a bridge and get over it.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:48 pm

johns624 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I believe that you're forgetting all the people needed to pamper the royals and wipe their asses after they take a royal crap.

I would bet good money on it that they have far less people fawning over them than the US President does.

50 might be a bit light once you take security into consideration, and a navy or marine band. .

A large percentage of Britannia's crew were for the engine room, she had 80 engineers, a modern superyacht needs a handful.

UAUA
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:19 am

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:43 am

UAUA wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9458535/Build-new-Royal-Yacht-tribute-Prince-Philip-Boris-Johnson-told.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14215 ... h-news-ont

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -memorial/

What does this mean? The chance is higher?

When you think about it £190m is a drop in the bucket, building it would provide work for a UK shipyard, if it's successful it could enable UK yards to jump into the mega yacht business. When it's not in use by the Royal Family if could be used for cadet training. I'm sure a business case could be easily made for it.

GDB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 am

UAUA wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9458535/Build-new-Royal-Yacht-tribute-Prince-Philip-Boris-Johnson-told.html

Honestly, the first two are utter rags, the third paper used to be a serious one albeit so biased it was called the 'Torygraph' but now it's also a Fox News in print form.
Though if Johnson is stupid enough quite possible) to push for it he'll back get a backlash, regardless of the Duke's death.

davidjohnson6

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 am

The Royal Family has a long term trend in the last 20 years of slimming down, not fattening up. All the minor characters who used to be visible in the 1980s have been keeping a very low profile in recent years. If the true aim is a naval / military command ship... then build a military ship, not a floating palace

A week after Philip's funeral, the idea of a new royal yacht won't appear in the newspapers again

ThePointblank

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:12 am

Kiwirob wrote:
UAUA wrote:

When you think about it £190m is a drop in the bucket, building it would provide work for a UK shipyard, if it's successful it could enable UK yards to jump into the mega yacht business. When it's not in use by the Royal Family if could be used for cadet training. I'm sure a business case could be easily made for it.

The mega yacht business is predominately dominated by German and Dutch companies, and these are the very big commercial players as well.

Basically, of the top 10 large yacht builders by volume, 7 are either German or Dutch, with the German yard Lurssen being the big player in the industry:
https://www.superyachtcrewagency.com/bl ... ders/11946

https://robbreport.com/feature/20-best- ... s-2835363/

GDB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am

Again, the last one went in 1997 as the only remaining justification for it had gone, that is why it was not replaced before retirement.
We don't even have a dedicated VIP airfleet (save one tanker badly painted on the orders of the overgrown child in Downing Street), compare to the mini AF/airline at the disposal of the President of our nearest neighbor.

Aesma

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:42 am

Imagine Charles or William (because it would be for them) travelling around in a billionaire's yacht. What kind of message is that sending ?

johns624

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:33 pm

With the "slimming down" of the British armed forces, I'm not sure if a new royal yacht would be the best use for their meager funds. maybe another frigate instead?

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:48 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
UAUA wrote:

The mega yacht business is predominately dominated by German and Dutch companies, and these are the very big commercial players as well.

Basically, of the top 10 large yacht builders by volume, 7 are either German or Dutch, with the German yard Lurssen being the big player in the industry:
https://www.superyachtcrewagency.com/bl ... ders/11946

https://robbreport.com/feature/20-best- ... s-2835363/

Mega Yachts not Superyachts, for the over 100m market there only a few yards with the ability to build that big, Lürssen, Blohm + Voss (now owned by Lürssen), Fincanteri, Oceano, a yard in Norway Kleven has delivered 2 yachts over 100m, with a third under construction.

Lürssen are booked for years, everyone else fights over what they don’t have capacity to build, so IMO there space for a yard to gate crash, delivery of a new Royal Yacht would be an excellent introduction to the market.

As for which U.K. yard there’s only a single realistic option and that’s Cammel Laird, they have the facilities including a nice large covered building hall.

noviorbis77

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm

I cannot see it TBH.

That ship has sailed (no pun intended).

Arion640

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:26 pm

No need for one.

Arion640

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 pm

GDB wrote:
Again, the last one went in 1997 as the only remaining justification for it had gone, that is why it was not replaced before retirement.
We don't even have a dedicated VIP airfleet (save one tanker badly painted on the orders of the overgrown child in Downing Street), compare to the mini AF/airline at the disposal of the President of our nearest neighbor.

To be fair, a dedicated aircraft is better than chartering a British Airways jet like the government used too.

What would they have to use now without it?

An old BA G-YMM* 777 with rockwell collins IFE comes trundling up to the stand at Andrews air force base.

Or perhaps a 777-300ER super dormitory.

Kent350787

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 am

Arion640 wrote:
GDB wrote:

To be fair, a dedicated aircraft is better than chartering a British Airways jet like the government used too.

What would they have to use now without it?

An old BA G-YMM* 777 with rockwell collins IFE comes trundling up to the stand at Andrews air force base.

Or perhaps a 777-300ER super dormitory.

Why not an MRRC like some other nations, or sharing a government aricraft? It's also difficult to see how a charter isn't a more sensible option than a standing fleet in many circumstances.

As for the yacht, I agree it's sailed with the last strong link to ships of the RN gone. The two adults in the immediate line of succession are more pilots, although both saw naval service.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

Kiwirob

Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 am

This is looking like it's turning from fantasy to reality.

Boris Johnson is set to approve a new £200 million national flagship in honour of the late Duke of Edinburgh. The ‘HMS Prince Philip’ will be announced within weeks and will be tasked with boosting British trade, The Telegraph reported. The Royal Navy vessel would reportedly promote British businesses overseas by mooring near international trade fairs, as well as hosting trade negotiations. The price tag was said to be as high as £200 million, a figure Downing Street did not rule out. A No 10 spokeswoman said: ‘The Prime Minister has an exciting vision for shipbuilding in this country and is committed to making the UK a shipbuilding superpower. ‘We are always looking for new ways to promote Global Britain around the world, driving investment back to the UK and delivering value for money for the British people.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/02/royal-ya ... to=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Virtual737

Mon May 03, 2021 7:30 am

I guess I'm one of the few that would be in support. Ignoring Andrew and now Harry, the Royal Family still do a lot for the UK and their "cost" to the country is likely nowhere near the cash drain that many would have you believe. I'd far rather keep the Monarchy of today which is pretty much totally separated from politics, than just be another Republic.

The UK has given up much that made it unique already to appease the grumblers. Off with their heads!

Reinhardt

Mon May 03, 2021 9:09 am

And yet there is no money for local councils, nurses, happy to cut 10,000 troops, highest number of food banks on record and week after week in the HOC the Tories bash anyone who questions finances. Yet, yep lets spurge 200million on a ship nobody (and I suspect including the Royal Family) wants or needs. Name a new Destroyer or Frigate after him - I'm sure he would have been incredibly happy with that. And leave it be.

scbriml

Mon May 03, 2021 11:29 am

Another Boris folly.

GDB

Mon May 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
This is looking like it's turning from fantasy to reality.

Boris Johnson is set to approve a new £200 million national flagship in honour of the late Duke of Edinburgh. The ‘HMS Prince Philip’ will be announced within weeks and will be tasked with boosting British trade, The Telegraph reported. The Royal Navy vessel would reportedly promote British businesses overseas by mooring near international trade fairs, as well as hosting trade negotiations. The price tag was said to be as high as £200 million, a figure Downing Street did not rule out. A No 10 spokeswoman said: ‘The Prime Minister has an exciting vision for shipbuilding in this country and is committed to making the UK a shipbuilding superpower. ‘We are always looking for new ways to promote Global Britain around the world, driving investment back to the UK and delivering value for money for the British people.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/02/royal-ya ... to=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

And like every other one of his 'ideas', a pipe dream that won't happen yet still somehow costing millions in public money right into the pockets of the corrupt bunch of friends and donors.

The only path to anything like this would be the requirement to replace RFA Argus, which is used for training for both sailors and chopper pilots and can be used as a hospital ship (as seen in the 1991 Gulf War though as as it turned out was little needed due to the lack of heavy ground fighting), and since as a disaster relief ship.
If you have seen the film 'World War Z' the 'US' hospital ship was actually the Argus.

So it would need to be of a decent size, with helicopter support and likely a hangar too.
If it's new build and not a major conversion like the Argus, it would not look like the ship it's replacing but not like a 'Yacht' either.
A tri purpose ship, training, disaster relief and on occasion, for state visits and similar.

Aesma

Mon May 03, 2021 1:18 pm

This isn't an emergency, so parliament would have to vote on the budget for this, right ?

johns624

Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
And yet there is no money for local councils, nurses, happy to cut 10,000 troops, highest number of food banks on record and week after week in the HOC the Tories bash anyone who questions finances. Yet, yep lets spurge 200million on a ship nobody (and I suspect including the Royal Family) wants or needs. Name a new Destroyer or Frigate after him - I'm sure he would have been incredibly happy with that. And leave it be.
I agree 100%.

FGITD

Mon May 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
I guess I'm one of the few that would be in support. Ignoring Andrew and now Harry, the Royal Family still do a lot for the UK and their "cost" to the country is likely nowhere near the cash drain that many would have you believe. I'd far rather keep the Monarchy of today which is pretty much totally separated from politics, than just be another Republic.

The UK has given up much that made it unique already to appease the grumblers. Off with their heads!

I have a hard time buying that argument. Sure they may be nice figureheads, but if anything having the Royals around is likely preventing them from profiting off them.

The French got it right. Not only did they kill off the monarchy, they know pull in outrageous tourist numbers to go see where they lived prior to being killed.

Add up the tourism numbers for Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, and it’s not even half of just Versailles alone. I attribute that to the fact that they’re still operating for the royals. Get them out, open the places up to tours and you’ll get much more.

I also disagree with the concept of the Royals because at this point the argument is pretty much that they’ve always been wealthy, and therefore always should be.

But I’m an American and live not far from where the revolution began, so a fundamental disagreement with Kings and Queens runs deep in my heritage.

Virtual737

Mon May 03, 2021 2:30 pm

FGITD wrote:
The French got it right. Not only did they kill off the monarchy, they know pull in outrageous tourist numbers to go see where they lived prior to being killed.

If you are against the notion then why celebrate it at all? To draw an aviation comparison, given the choice I'd rather have flying Concordes than a mothballed Concorde up on a plinth, even if I couldn't afford a ticket to fly on it. If there is no choice then by all means create the museum, but one is a fantastic real thing and the other is just a slightly sad reminder of a past that should have been fully embraced.

FGITD wrote:
I also disagree with the concept of the Royals because at this point the argument is pretty much that they’ve always been wealthy, and therefore always should be.

Not sure I've heard that argument and wouldn't support it either.

We're drifting off topic and a number of threads have been purged recently for even the slightest diversion. Feel free to respond but I'm happy to agree to disagree.