Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Updated: Broken down ship in Suez Canal on the move again

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:07 pm

In the Suez Canal, a large container ship, the M/V Ever Given, has apparently had an electrical blackout, affecting control of the ship and is now wedged diagonally across it, totally blocking traffic. Efforts are underway to get the ship moved, but it may take several days and meanwhile is shutting down where about 9-10% of the world's shipping goes through. https://apnews.com/article/dubai-united ... ad09f98810
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cjg225

Re: Ship happens - Suez Canal shut down by broken ship

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Go home, containership, you're drunk.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

casinterest

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Many days isn't too bad considering it would take a lot more than that to go around Africa.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

seb146

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 pm

I have read a couple of articles and nothing makes sense about this. Winds were gusting to 30MPH while the ship was travelling at 15MPH. Plus there was a canal captain on board guiding the ship. I had to deal with wind many times when I was driving the big rigs but still managed to keep it between the lines. The Washington State ferries still run during storms. Although, they cancel runs when winds get too high.

If the canal is long and straight at this point, as it look from pictures, why would they try to turn? It does not seem the wind alone would move a huge ship that much or in that direction.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

cjg225

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:18 pm

seb146 wrote:
I have read a couple of articles and nothing makes sense about this. Winds were gusting to 30MPH while the ship was travelling at 15MPH. Plus there was a canal captain on board guiding the ship. I had to deal with wind many times when I was driving the big rigs but still managed to keep it between the lines. The Washington State ferries still run during storms. Although, they cancel runs when winds get too high.

If the canal is long and straight at this point, as it look from pictures, why would they try to turn? It does not seem the wind alone would move a huge ship that much or in that direction.

I've read the wind thing in a few places, but one mentioned electrical failure, which makes more sense.

casinterest

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:24 pm

cjg225 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I've read the wind thing in a few places, but one mentioned electrical failure, which makes more sense.

She is a big ship,. and they don't exactly turn on a dime. Strong winds from the side in a narrow canal without electrical corrections is a recipe for collision
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

readytotaxi

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:29 pm

"Fears that the blockage could tie up shipments of crude oil caused prices to rise by 4% on international markets on Wednesday, Reuters reported."

If they can not re-float on the next tide they will have to unload some cargo taking even longer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56505413
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

cjg225

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:44 pm

casinterest wrote:
She is a big ship,. and they don't exactly turn on a dime. Strong winds from the side in a narrow canal without electrical corrections is a recipe for collision

Time to be pedantic: recipe for allision, not collision. :stirthepot:

Elkadad313

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:45 pm

seb146 wrote:

Where did you read they tried to turn? Electrical system failure caused inability to navigate.

casinterest

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:47 pm

cjg225 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Ok, but technically the big ball is rotating quite rapidly :)

flipdewaf

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:04 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
"Fears that the blockage could tie up shipments of crude oil caused prices to rise by 4% on international markets on Wednesday, Reuters reported."

If they can not re-float on the next tide they will have to unload some cargo taking even longer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56505413

I read this today, I do wonder how they will remove the the cargo?

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c933103

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 pm

seb146 wrote:

「Trapped container ship blocks navigation in Egypt's Suez Canal - ABC News」:https://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/trapped-container-ship-blocks-navigation-egypts-suez-canal/story?id=76649724

> "The accident is mainly due to the lack of visibility resulting from bad weather conditions as the country passes through a dust storm, with wind speed reaching 40 knots," Suez Canal Authority Chairman Osama Rabie said in a statement.

40 knot should be more than 30mph
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Aesma

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:18 pm

A big rig has tires on a road, big advantage to keep straight compared to a ship in water.

I was sailing my father's sailboat once with the daggerboard stuck in the up position by mud, it was a cruiser not a dinghy, yet we were going sideways so bad we hit something that didn't appear to be in front of us (a cardinal market on top of a big rock, fortunately at high tide).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cjg225

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:37 pm

casinterest wrote:

Touché.
flipdewaf wrote:
I read this today, I do wonder how they will remove the the cargo?

Fred

Good question. Not like you can move a Ship-to-Shore crane down there. And a regular crane might not have the reach to get up to the top of the stacks. It'd take forever to offload an appreciable amount of containers with regular cranes fitted with chains instead of spreaders.

flipdewaf

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:43 pm

And you need something with a long reach at 30+ tons, not easy.

Maybe they could use a ship based crane?

Fred

frmrCapCadet

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:49 pm

More than one ship lost power during this incident. Could the sand storm have plugged up filters and stopped engines?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:50 am

On a funny note - apparently the vessel was drawing a dick in the sea prior to getting stuck in the canal, based on tracking data from the seaborne version of Flightradar...

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/24/cargo-sh ... -14298538/
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

cjg225

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:55 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
On a funny note - apparently the vessel was drawing a dick in the sea prior to getting stuck in the canal, based on tracking data from the seaborne version of Flightradar...

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/24/cargo-sh ... -14298538/

Buzzer-beating picture for funniest thing I've seen today as I head off to bed.

seb146

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:53 am

Some authorities have said there was no electrical failure.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cargo ... 1616643406

An initial report suggested the ship suffered a power blackout before the incident, something Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement denied Thursday.

“Initial investigations rule out any mechanical or engine failure as a cause of the grounding,” the company said.

Other ships passed through the canal during high winds and sandstorms with not much of an issue. From what I understand, the Suez Canal pilot boards a ship to guide it through but the captain of the ship has ultimate control. I wonder if the pilot was overruled by the captain?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:41 am

Probably the fastest way would be to use helicopter, similar to Russian Mil Mi-26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCGLFyvL52E

Expensive but having the ships stuck there is costing :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: a day.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:48 am

casinterest wrote:
Many days isn't too bad considering it would take a lot more than that to go around Africa.

Yeah it is if your manufacturing plant needs what's onboard that vessel.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:55 am

seb146 wrote:
Some authorities have said there was no electrical failure.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cargo ... 1616643406

An initial report suggested the ship suffered a power blackout before the incident, something Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement denied Thursday.

“Initial investigations rule out any mechanical or engine failure as a cause of the grounding,” the company said.

Other ships passed through the canal during high winds and sandstorms with not much of an issue. From what I understand, the Suez Canal pilot boards a ship to guide it through but the captain of the ship has ultimate control. I wonder if the pilot was overruled by the captain?

yup

Liability:Pursuant to the Egyptian Maritime Code No. 8 of 1990 (Art. 279) as well as rulings of the Supreme Court in Egypt, the responsibility for pilotage operation in port and in the Suez Canal lies entirely with the Master of the guided vessel even in case of the pilot's error.

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm

The ship owner in Japan has apologised for the disruption to global trade. Currently 150+ ships waiting to pass
Last edited by readytotaxi on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casinterest

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:14 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Yeah it is if your manufacturing plant needs what's onboard that vessel.

Yes delays hurt, but what do you expect for a 500-1000 foot wide canal with a 1100 foot boat stuck.

Ertro

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Liability:Pursuant to the Egyptian Maritime Code No. 8 of 1990 (Art. 279) as well as rulings of the Supreme Court in Egypt, the responsibility for pilotage operation in port and in the Suez Canal lies entirely with the Master of the guided vessel even in case of the pilot's error.

There is always one ship that has weakest propulsion compared to wind sail area to first experience problems and it could have been this one even if all others can manage. There is nothing the pilot can do if the ship is physically unable to maintain course. I guess the pilot is onboard for more demanding decision making like deciding when is the proper time to drive into locks or whether to slow down or speed up to manage passing of ships going the other direction in most suitable spot along the canal.

In a narrow path like this there is perhaps nothing else the pilot can do than to say "stay in the water and don't hit the sand" and that is also what the captain says and actual steering of the ship to follow this command lands on whoever on regular crew who has most experience turning the wheel and knobs or this particular ship and the pilot or even the captain does not physically touch the controls. If the pilot would touch the controls he is in high danger to turn the wrong knob as he has no experience how the knobs on this particular ship work and how to get maximum horsepower out from the engines.

The pilot would not be my first guess for somebody to blame.

flybaurlax

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:51 pm

The memes coming from this are fantastic. The excavator and Austin Powers meme is the best.

https://www.insider.com/best-memes-ever ... jam-2021-3
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

lightsaber

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:55 pm

Gcaptain is a serious shipping news site, but the best part is the memes (humor):

https://gcaptain.com/suez-memes/
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

cjg225

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:55 pm

flybaurlax wrote:
The memes coming from this are fantastic. The excavator and Austin Powers meme is the best.

https://www.insider.com/best-memes-ever ... jam-2021-3

The little engine that could seems to fit here.

WIederling

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:34 am

IMU the canal is dug through sand.
Surprised no dredge is used to first excavate around bow and/or stern.
( suction/hopper dredges should be part of the maintenance supplement
thus available on short notice.)
Murphy is an optimist

readytotaxi

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am

Update: The stuck ship is holding up an estimated $9.6bn (£7bn) of goods each day, according to Lloyds List. Experts saying it could be stuck for 2 weeks or more.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56533250

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56523659

cjg225

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:06 am

WIederling wrote:

I'd think that's what they'll have to do. And then they'll have to do emergency dredging of that section to make sure it still can meet draft requirements for all the vessels waiting to go through.

BaconButty

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:31 am

Interesting article in the FT.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com ... ee2620d3c1

If it's behind a paywall the gist of it is:
- the hydrodynamics of vessels this size in constrained channels isn't as understood as in open ocean
- there is something called the bank effect, where water trapped between the hull and the bank speeds up creating low pressure at the stern, sucking it into the bank while forcing the bow out. It becomes more pronounced the larger the vessel
- so what may have happened is there was a lull in the westerly wind that was being compensated for. The vessel then went to windward -i.e. the western bank, and the bank effect caused it to "spin" with the bow going into the eastern bank
Down with that sort of thing!

par13del

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:40 pm

WIederling wrote:

Seems to be what they are / have been doing. Looking at a couple of images it does look as if the stern is no longer stuck on the bank or at least there is now a larger gap.
Daily Mail but if you ignore the politics, the pictures should be fine...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -ship.html

Aesma

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 pm

WIederling wrote:

As soon as I took a good look at the excavator photo I was wondering what was the point, since you can clearly see the whole front of the ship is beached (sand is visible above the water line).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WIederling

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:11 pm

par13del wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Seems to be what they are / have been doing. Looking at a couple of images it does look as if the stern is no longer stuck on the bank or at least there is now a larger gap.
Daily Mail but if you ignore the politics, the pictures should be fine...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -ship.html

Thanks for the link. informative imagery.

So they seem to be doing the right thing (TM).
Lets see how long it takes.

depth is 24m but only over a width of 195/215m
"Ever Given" current draft is 15.7 m.
Length 400m, beam 59m
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:18 pm

Aesma wrote:
WIederling wrote:

As soon as I took a good look at the excavator photo I was wondering what was the point, since you can clearly see the whole front of the ship is beached (sand is visible above the water line).

The ship currently is driven into the embankment. ( above and below the water line.)

if you can remove sand on one side ( and partly below the keel ) of the bow you can
slide it off to that side. At the moment it is tightly wedged on both sides of the bow.
Murphy is an optimist

pune

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

yup

Source please ?

lightsaber

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 pm

I was driving my child on an errand as we watched one of the largest frieghters leaving the ports of Los Angeles or Long Beach. I described the freighter stuck in the Suez canal.

My child: "Can I blow up the ship?" :rotfl:
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:36 pm

pune wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

yup

Source please ?

https://www.gard.no/web/updates/content ... lotage-law

T18

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:50 pm

lightsaber wrote:
I was driving my child on an errand as we watched one of the largest freighters leaving the ports of Los Angeles or Long Beach. I described the freighter stuck in the Suez canal.

My child: "Can I blow up the ship?" :rotfl:

Modern problems call for modern solutions lol.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

johns624

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
pune wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

yup

Source please ?

https://www.gard.no/web/updates/content ... lotage-law
Kiwirob, you gave him the source in your first post. It might have not been in the form of a link, but it was the source.

pune

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 pm

johns624 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Kiwirob, you gave him the source in your first post. It might have not been in the form of a link, but it was the source.

Can you explain how? I went back to his original post but it didn't give any more hints . The last one he gave actually gave more context as I came to know that the law like that is just not in that country but other countries which presumably have canals of their own. It is and seems interesting that apart from Canada and couple of other nations, most countries have immunities built-in for their pilots, here pilots being those who tug the boat throughout a canal and are supposed to give advice. The blank immunity serves actually a perverse incentive unlike the Canadian one which seems fair. The end result being the Taiwanese company jumping the gun and taking responsibility without consulting the Captain and the Indian crew, all of whom would suffer the consequences.

Long-term neither the Egyptians nor the Taiwanese will have or face any consequences.

aeromoe

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Which big ball and how rapidly?
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

WIederling

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 am

aeromoe wrote:
casinterest wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

Which big ball and how rapidly?

THAT big ball. .... and at quite the clip: better than a thousand miles an hour.
( earth surface velocity at the equator is ~40.000 km / 24h = ~1666km/h )
Murphy is an optimist

DIRECTFLT

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:54 pm

AP says even larger tugs are on the way. Also a crane to lift out the cargo if that becomes necessary.

https://apnews.com/article/egypt-africa ... 549e97d6ca
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DocLightning

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:54 pm

Question: there is discussion of ships instead routing around the Cape of Good Hope. Does the average cargo/tanker have enough range to do this without refueling? What are the logistics of ensuring that there are adequate fuel depots along this route if not?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

cjg225

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:14 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Question: there is discussion of ships instead routing around the Cape of Good Hope. Does the average cargo/tanker have enough range to do this without refueling? What are the logistics of ensuring that there are adequate fuel depots along this route if not?

Yes. Typical deep sea vessels have plenty of "bunker" (fuel) to make the trip around the Horn of Africa. It was actually done not terribly far back in history; ever hear of the Suez Canal Crisis? No, not this one; the one in the 50s. The canal was closed due to war, and vessels had to go all the way around as a matter of practice. It actually is done on occasion even in more modern times for various reasons.

Amongst the many troubles is that it takes a hell of a lot longer (depending on sailing speed, about 8-14 days more compared to going via the Canal, and time is money), and as you can figure, causes you to burn a lot more fuel, which is bad for the checkbook and the environment. Furthermore, many vessels are in what's called liner service, so they have scheduled routes. Going around the Horn kills those schedules, obviously, and to try to limit the temporal damage, vessels have to speed up, and fuel burn is not linear but rather somewhat exponential; water is quite resistant to increased movement.

Within a day of the blockage there were already vessel operators making the call to divert. I have a container on a Yang Ming vessel that made the call to divert Thursday night. Vessel operators are fairly split right now on whether to wait this out or go the Horn route. I've got a container on another vessel that is anchored in the Great Bitter Lake waiting out the clearance; had the Ever Given not allided with the canal, the vessel with my company's container on it likely would've been passing that same spot in a matter of a few hours.

Most ports have some sort of bunkering facility, but there are a handful of major bunkering ports around the world that vessels tend to frequent. So while a vessel could, theoretically, run low on fuel sailing around the Cape and find a few ports for emergency bunkering, that's obviously disfavored vs. bunkering up at major ports so that you get better prices and better service.

DocLightning

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:05 am

cjg225 wrote:

Thank you very much for that excellent information.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DIRECTFLT

Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:03 am

This guy estimated it might cost twice as much to go around the Cape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwOZOb90fM
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Kent350787

Re: Suez Canal shut down by broken ship

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 am

Ever Given has finally been freed!

Sorry for paywalled reporting https://www.smh.com.au/world/middle-eas ... 57ezh.html
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359