Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Environmental Pollution Has Cut Sperm Count 50% Since 1970s

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:31 am

Lots of talk in the scientific press about a new book featuring meta analysis indicating human reproductive and developmental health are in serious jeopardy due to the prevalence of industrial chemicals in our daily lives.

Among the findings:

- Sperm count has declined on average 1% per year in western countries. Total 50% loss in comparative data in the last 40 years when study was completed in 2017. Motility issues and erectile dysfunction are also on the rise.

- Miscarriage rates are similarly increasing at 1% per year

- Autism diagnoses are increasing at about 1% per year since the early 2000s

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ming-rate/

I am not too familiar with the chemical industry but naturally they must have cost pressures like any other. What is stopping them from developing alternate additives that don’t negatively affect hormones?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

johns624

Re: Environmental Pollution Has Cut Sperm Count 50% Since 1970s

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:27 am

I thought that it was because I got a vasectomy 17 years ago? :D
Seriously, I'm surprised. The Western World seems to be much less polluted than it was 40-50 years ago. I'm 61 and I remember all the belching steel mills and power plants. I remember the Cuyahoga River catching on fire and the Great Lakes being much more polluted, with Lake Erie being close to dead. Not to mention all the fumes coming from refineries and chemical plants.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:36 am

johns624 wrote:
Seriously, I'm surprised. The Western World seems to be much less polluted than it was 40-50 years ago. I'm 61 and I remember all the belching steel mills and power plants. I remember the Cuyahoga River catching on fire and the Great Lakes being much more polluted, with Lake Erie being close to dead. Not to mention all the fumes coming from refineries and chemical plants.

Atmospheric and water pollution have been significantly reduced in the west to some degree, yes. The problem is these pollutants are in our domestic environment:

These hormone-hijacking chemicals, which include phthalates, bisphenol A, and flame retardants, among others, have become ubiquitous in modern life. They’re in water bottles and food packaging, electronic devices, personal-care products, cleaning supplies and many other items we use regularly. And they began being produced in increasing numbers after 1950, when sperm counts and fertility began their decline.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TSS

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 am

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Atmospheric and water pollution have been significantly reduced in the west to some degree, yes. The problem is these pollutants are in our domestic environment:

These hormone-hijacking chemicals, which include phthalates, bisphenol A, and flame retardants, among others, have become ubiquitous in modern life. They’re in water bottles and food packaging, electronic devices, personal-care products, cleaning supplies and many other items we use regularly. And they began being produced in increasing numbers after 1950, when sperm counts and fertility began their decline.

I'm not familiar with bisphenol A, but if I'm not mistaken phthalates are commonly found in plastic bottles as well as in air fresheners and scented candles, all of which have seen dramatic increases in use since the 1970s.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ltbewr

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 am

Look at the bright side [HUMOR ALERT !] It means less of a chance of getting a woman pregnant if go in bareback or if the condom breaks. It also means fewer babies and a lower population which ironically would be good for the environment. [

Francoflier

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:50 am

That’s called a self-regulating system... mother Earth is fighting her own virus. :scratchchin:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

seb146

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 am

There is a lot to take in. Lower birth rates are happening in the United States, some theorize, because people do not want the financial burden and have their heads filled with too much other stuff to be bothered with sex. I have noticed that kids in their 20s are not as sex focused as we were at their age. Just thinking out loud.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

jetwet1

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:23 pm

Francoflier wrote:
That’s called a self-regulating system... mother Earth is fighting her own virus. :scratchchin:

Exactly, mother nature will find ways to balance out the ecosystem.

Oh and praise be.

Aesma

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Soon we'll be able to make kids with 0 sperm anyway.

I agree that when you think about the causes, it doesn't seem logical. Are there studies comparing say city dwellers compared to people living in the countryside ? People eating mostly packaged stuff compared to people eating mostly stuff coming directly from the ground/trees ?

One reason I'm not enthusiastic about wooden houses and am rather looking at concrete ones is all the chemicals used in the wood to make it last.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:43 pm

seb146 wrote:
There is a lot to take in. Lower birth rates are happening in the United States, some theorize, because people do not want the financial burden and have their heads filled with too much other stuff to be bothered with sex. I have noticed that kids in their 20s are not as sex focused as we were at their age. Just thinking out loud.

I am sure that clinically significant infertility is separated in the data from those choosing not to have children.

dtw2hyd

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:16 pm

Experts predicted baby boom last year, but didn't happen, now the new expert theory, COVID-19 impacted the sperm count.

IMHO, having a baby (ie., forced to deal with a health system) during the pandemic is a no no.

Historically financial burden theory is not proven, if you look at poor countries where people don't have much discretionary spending on other entertainment, sex prevails and unwanted pregnancies follow in the absence of contraception.
All posts are just opinions.

Okie

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:17 pm

Francoflier wrote:
That’s called a self-regulating system... mother Earth is fighting her own virus.

:checkmark:

Things have not been the same on the 3rd planet since it was poisoned with oxygen.
Now we are headed to the 4th planet, which has been perfect for about 4.5 Billion earth years, to see what kind of damage we can do there with oxygen :eyepopping:

Okie

FGITD

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Okie wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
That’s called a self-regulating system... mother Earth is fighting her own virus.

Things have not been the same on the 3rd planet since it was poisoned with oxygen.
Now we are headed to the 4th planet, which has been perfect for about 4.5 Billion earth years, to see what kind of damage we can do there with oxygen :eyepopping:

Okie

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Not wrong...

seb146

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:07 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I am sure that clinically significant infertility is separated in the data from those choosing not to have children.

Yes, but I am wondering if the added chemicals has lowered testosterone in adolescents and has, therefore, lowered their sex drives?

johns624

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:07 pm

seb146 wrote:
I have noticed that kids in their 20s are not as sex focused as we were at their age. Just thinking out loud.
It's procreation, not sex.

bennett123

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:27 pm

One is generally dependent on the other.

johns624

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:32 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Look at who I was replying to...

seb146

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:43 pm

johns624 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

I think I should be offended.

All I am saying is that when I was going through puberty and even after, I wanted to play. The basic level is to create more humans, yes, but because we are also wired for pleasure as well as procreation, they both exist in the same plane. It just seems to me that sex, whether it be for pleasure or creation, is not really a thing like it had been in the past.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

All I am saying is that when I was going through puberty and even after, I wanted to play. The basic level is to create more humans, yes, but because we are also wired for pleasure as well as procreation, they both exist in the same plane. It just seems to me that sex, whether it be for pleasure or creation, is not really a thing like it had been in the past.

Usually when lower rates of hooking up are discussed in recent years, it’s not because of low T. Video games and other hobbies are often cited as the reason.

Francoflier

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:39 am

Okie wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Okie

Yes, the virus blighting Earth appears to be airborne and very contagious. It is causing a fever and it would be advised for any surrounding planet to maintain a safe 200 million kilometers social distancing rule. Barring that, the wearing of a mask is strongly recommended.
Unfortunately, whereas Venus conscientiously follows the mask mandate, Mars doesn't, citing 'planetary freedom' concerns.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

seb146

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:43 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Usually when lower rates of hooking up are discussed in recent years, it’s not because of low T. Video games and other hobbies are often cited as the reason.

I had Nintendo and Super Nintendo but any chance I got to hang out with a guy I had a crush on in college, I made my choice. I wonder if these increases in chemicals leads to lower testosterone levels which leads to "yeah, sex is cool but I really want to get to the next level".

Sokes

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:01 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Historically financial burden theory is not proven, if you look at poor countries where people don't have much discretionary spending on other entertainment, sex prevails and unwanted pregnancies follow in the absence of contraception.

I believe sex frequency is strongly impacted by the level of respect partners have for each other. Plenty of couples in India that don't have sex.

Question to all: any news about the iron content of spinach?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Aesma

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:20 am

I've read somewhere Netflix is to blame.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

meecrob

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:03 pm

Sokes wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

I believe sex frequency is strongly impacted by the level of respect partners have for each other. Plenty of couples in India that don't have sex.

Um...I need to edit this cuz I made a bad joke but really? So I'm guessing you are saying people who respect eachother do not have sex? Or is it they need to respect to have sex?

Sokes

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 am

meecrob wrote:
Sokes wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Um...I need to edit this cuz I made a bad joke but really? So I'm guessing you are saying people who respect eachother do not have sex? Or is it they need to respect to have sex?

I believe most people need respect for their partner to enjoy sex to the fullest. What people call making love.
Neither respect nor disrespect also works. Get laid.
Loss of respect on the other side may lead to sexual disinterest with this particular partner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoactiv ... e_disorder

In liberal societies people marry mostly out of love. If they loose respect many divorce. That requires quite some wealth in society and quite a lot of housing. Since in the history of mankind poverty was standard marriage mostly had a different meaning than for people in the West today.

St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians: 1 Cor, 7
" Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. "
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Does this sound as if mutual respect was expected? And what if a woman dislikes her husband which her parents chose for her when she was 16 or 18 years old?

In wedding ceremonies 1 Cor 13 is preferred:
"1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or clanging cymbal resounding in the wind. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and can understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have faith, that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I give all I possess to the poor, and surrender my body to the flames,[2] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see in a mirror, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

That's a gross translation mistake. The Greeks had many different words for love:
Love of mother to child, love with sexual desire, ... 1 Cor 13 actually speaks of agape:

"Within Christianity, agape is considered to be the love originating from God or Christ for humankind.[3] In the New Testament, it refers to the covenant love of God for humans, as well as the human reciprocal love for God; the term necessarily extends to the love of one's fellow human beings.[4] Some contemporary writers have sought to extend the use of agape into non-religious contexts."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agape

Of course one can still enjoy sex with mutual disrespect provided one can emotionally withdraw. Marilyn Mansion summarized the different motivations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaO1BRwqKrw

How can one think that partners who respect each other won't have sex?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?