Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bigGAplane

Re: Georgia Election Law Controversy

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:40 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
As to #3, this bill absolutely gives a bunch of openings for unelected officials to take control of a democratic election. It is a pathetic power grab.

https://twitter.com/nw_horadam/status/1 ... 3141308418

It is sad that a bunch of sore losers came up with this sneaky Jim Crow bill all because they couldn’t bear to lose. Just get over it and try to win the election by getting the most votes.

Have you read the actual bill? Or are you relying on the interpretation of certain aspects of the bill by a left wing activist that shares news stories of TheOnion.com on his Twitter page?

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:01 am

art wrote:
The purpose of elections is to determine the number of electors that choose to record their support for each candidate. Any impediment to voters casting their vote undermines the purpose of elections.

You're wrong. Because every Constitutional right comes with limitations. You have a right to free speech, but you can't scream "fire" inside a crowded theater. You have a right to bear arms but a 12 year old can't walk into Cabelas and buy a fully-automatic M-16.

The Constitution affords citizens the right to vote. It is up to each individual state to choose how to run their elections and as far as voter ID is concerned a state may have a legitimate interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence.

You can view voter ID laws as an "impediment" but the law does not.

SFOtoORD

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:17 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
As to #3, this bill absolutely gives a bunch of openings for unelected officials to take control of a democratic election. It is a pathetic power grab.

It is sad that a bunch of sore losers came up with this sneaky Jim Crow bill all because they couldn’t bear to lose. Just get over it and try to win the election by getting the most votes.

Have you read the actual bill? Or are you relying on the interpretation of certain aspects of the bill by a left wing activist that shares news stories of TheOnion.com on his Twitter page?

I have read it. Have you? I thought the post had solid insight. Someone thinking the Onion is funny has little to do with analysis. The fact that the President tried to tamper with the election, got pissed at GA Sec State, and now they replace him with an unelected person shows exactly what this bill is about. Providing the state an ability to remove local election officials is as Jim Crow as it comes. There are now a myriad of byzantine reasons to be able to challenge voters and challenge results. After the President lost 60+ court cases (winning only a single minor victory in PA) it is clear this bill opens the door to litigation that would have gone on for even longer. It is sad that these legislators feel so threatened by democracy and the former President. They are weak and are sore losers.

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:40 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

I have read it. Have you? I thought the post had solid insight. Someone thinking the Onion is funny has little to do with analysis. The fact that the President tried to tamper with the election, got pissed at GA Sec State, and now they replace him with an unelected person shows exactly what this bill is about. Providing the state an ability to remove local election officials is as Jim Crow as it comes. There are now a myriad of byzantine reasons to be able to challenge voters and challenge results. After the President lost 60+ court cases (winning only a single minor victory in PA) it is clear this bill opens the door to litigation that would have gone on for even longer. It is sad that these legislators feel so threatened by democracy and the former President. They are weak and are sore losers.

The President was upset with both the SoS and the Governor and they didn't cave. They showed integrity. This is the same Governor that's a staunch supporter of this bill. The reality is that what the President did has very little to do with why this bill was passed. Updating voting laws happens from time to time. It's not like new voting laws are passed only once every 50 years.

Comparing this voting law to Jim Crow laws is idiotic. There's nothing in this bill that hinders a specific race from voting unless you think black people are too stupid to copy their drivers license number or last 4 of their social security number onto an envelope. It's a liberal talking point which is actually racist.

When nearly half of the state think there's something wrong with the current election system and that they have less faith in the process it is the DUTY of the elected leaders in the state to try and fix that. The changes in the GA voting bill expand early voting and make a few changes to increase the security of the election.

phatfarmlines

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:13 pm

bigGAplane wrote:

The President was upset with both the SoS and the Governor and they didn't cave. They showed integrity. This is the same Governor that's a staunch supporter of this bill. The reality is that what the President did has very little to do with why this bill was passed. Updating voting laws happens from time to time. It's not like new voting laws are passed only once every 50 years.

So you have a former president who called out Raffensperger and Kemp at the last Loeffler rally back in early January in NW Georgia before the runoff race. You're telling me Kemp's "Crisis in Confidence" was not in response to Trump? If Raffensperger acted in integrity as you correctly pointed out, then why does the new law demote Raffensperger through a reduction in responsibilities? On your #3 counterpoint a few posts back, the shift in responsibilities would mean the January 2nd Raffensperger call would not have occurred.

NY Times article on the shift of authority:

This is one of a few provisions that strip power from the secretary of state and indirectly shift it to the legislature by creating a new chair of the State Election Board. Previously, the secretary of state had served in that role.

The law dictates that the newly created chair be “nonpartisan,” but the position is appointed through the partisan legislature. Voting rights groups say this amounts to the legislature’s exerting more control over the State Election Board and election oversight in general.

The provision does contain some partisan guardrails: In the two years immediately preceding a chair’s appointment, he or she cannot have been a candidate for public office or have made any political campaign contributions.

But it also looks an awful lot like a revenge move: Republican lawmakers are taking power away from Mr. Raffensperger, who infuriated Mr. Trump and some G.O.P. leaders in the state by rebuffing the former president’s fraud claims.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/p ... tated.html Source: NY Times

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:13 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

The President was upset with both the SoS and the Governor and they didn't cave. They showed integrity. This is the same Governor that's a staunch supporter of this bill.

Except you've clearly missed or overlooked the part where the bill provides a provision for the State Legislature to circumvent the Secretary of State...as demanded by then-President Trump.

SFOtoORD

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:31 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

Comparing this voting law to Jim Crow laws is idiotic. There's nothing in this bill that hinders a specific race from voting unless you think black people are too stupid to copy their drivers license number or last 4 of their social security number onto an envelope. It's a liberal talking point which is actually racist.

When nearly half of the state think there's something wrong with the current election system and that they have less faith in the process it is the DUTY of the elected leaders in the state to try and fix that. The changes in the GA voting bill expand early voting and make a few changes to increase the security of the election.

Just under half the state didn’t like losing an election fair and square so they needed to change the rules. Sore loser syndrome cloaked in 95 pages of complexity to help undermine the next election. It’s sad because I’m certain there are a large portion of these people who wave the flag and say they believe in the rule of law, but 60 plus court losses and still the need to choose to change the game their way. Sad!

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:06 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Just under half the state didn’t like losing an election fair and square so they needed to change the rules. Sore loser syndrome cloaked in 95 pages of complexity to help undermine the next election. It’s sad because I’m certain there are a large portion of these people who wave the flag and say they believe in the rule of law, but 60 plus court losses and still the need to choose to change the game their way. Sad!

There's literally nothing in this bill that significantly alters how anyone votes. It's not about "losing an election fair and square". There were plenty of irregularities and questionable behavior during the last election. The burden of proof that there was "Widespread" voter fraud lays on those making those claims but as someone that lives in GA I can tell you that there were plenty of fishy things going on.

Speaking from personal experience, while waiting in line (Fulton County here) there were a few people with "Warnock" shirts going up and down the line (I waited about 30-40 minutes to vote btw) offering people pizza and saying "You're gonna vote for the right guy today aren't you?". This is why the GA bill addresses handing out food/drinks to people in line and leaving them alone.

Also, I received an absentee ballot in the mail for the person that lived in my house before me. A few days later someone from the "Progressive Black Coalition" knocked on my door and asked if I received my absentee ballot and I said I didn't request one and that I was planning to go vote in person. She then said "aren't you xxxx?" and I said no they don't live here. She then asked for that absentee ballot to "make sure they get it" and when I refused and asked what her name is she turned around and left. Doesn't sound fishy at all right?

Let's also not forget the dozens of people that have been referred to prosecution by the state for violating voting laws in 2020. Of course it isn't highly reported by CNN but it happened.

Also, interesting results of an audit with mail in ballots out of Montana.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/montana ... 84f59.html

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:09 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Comparing this voting law to Jim Crow laws is idiotic. There's nothing in this bill that hinders a specific race from voting unless you think black people are too stupid to copy their drivers license number or last 4 of their social security number onto an envelope. It's a liberal talking point which is actually racist..

That was literally the point of Jim Crow--most of the tactics didn't explicitly "hinder a specific race" but that was the sole purpose and desired outcome. Just like all of these GOP voter suppression bills that don't do anything to mitigate (non existent) voter suppression but totally coincidentally target democrat and majority minority strongholds...gee I wonder why :roll:

bigGAplane wrote:

So we're at the point of creating laws because the 'my feelings don't care about facts' crowd THINK there is a problem? That same crowd THINKS hydrochloroquine cures Covid--should we pass laws on that too? Passing laws for imaginary boogeymen might be the least traditionally conservative but also most modern day conservative thing ever :rotfl:

luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

The President was upset with both the SoS and the Governor and they didn't cave. They showed integrity. This is the same Governor that's a staunch supporter of this bill.

Except you've clearly missed or overlooked the part where the bill provides a provision for the State Legislature to circumvent the Secretary of State...as demanded by then-President Trump.

The delusion required to look at this sequence of events and think "yah that's Kemp showing integrity, acting completely independently from Trump's QOP antics"...mind boggling
I don't take responsibility at all

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
as someone that lives in GA I can tell you that there were plenty of fishy things going on.

No you can't. Period.

You can tell us a UFO visited you last night and it would be just as reliable.

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:16 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
as someone that lives in GA I can tell you that there were plenty of fishy things going on.

No you can't. Period.

How about cases that the state elections board sent for prosecution? Would that be more reliable?

https://allongeorgia.com/georgia-state- ... formation/

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:20 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

No you can't. Period.

How about cases that the state elections board sent for prosecution? Would that be more reliable?

https://allongeorgia.com/georgia-state- ... formation/

Did you even read your own article?

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:21 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
Comparing this voting law to Jim Crow laws is idiotic. There's nothing in this bill that hinders a specific race from voting unless you think black people are too stupid to copy their drivers license number or last 4 of their social security number onto an envelope. It's a liberal talking point which is actually racist..

That was literally the point of Jim Crow--most of the tactics didn't explicitly "hinder a specific race" but that was the sole purpose and desired outcome. Just like all of these GOP voter suppression bills that don't do anything to mitigate (non existent) voter suppression but totally coincidentally target democrat and majority minority strongholds...gee I wonder why :roll:

bigGAplane wrote:

So we're at the point of creating laws because the 'my feelings don't care about facts' crowd THINK there is a problem? That same crowd THINKS hydrochloroquine cures Covid--should we pass laws on that too? Passing laws for imaginary boogeymen might be the least traditionally conservative but also most modern day conservative thing ever :rotfl:

luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

The delusion required to look at this sequence of events and think "yah that's Kemp showing integrity, acting completely independently from Trump's QOP antics"...mind boggling

1. What in this bill specifically "hinders" black people from voting and how?

2. Safeguarding voter confidence is actually quite important and completely within the the power of the legislature to safeguard voter confidence. This has been specifically stated by the US Supreme Court.

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:35 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

bigGAplane wrote:

luckyone wrote:

2. Safeguarding voter confidence is actually quite important and completely within the the power of the legislature to safeguard voter confidence. This has been specifically stated by the US Supreme Court.

I'm a native Georgian who lived in the state when the laws were put into place. Do please tell me how the laws suddenly failed...by providing actual court rulings, not hyperbole and your perception that dudes in Warnock t-shirts were doing what you thought was campaigning in line (also, if that was happening you should have reported it, if you didn't). Anecdotal "But that's what I saw" are notoriously unreliable, biased, and most often a rhetorical device that people resort to when the actual factual information does not support their emotions. Perception may feel like the truth to you, but it often isn't. There were reports of Gomer Pyles following trucks around because they thought they had illegal ballots in them, all because they thought Trump said so.

AirWorthy99

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm

luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I'm a native Georgian who lived in the state when the laws were put into place. Do please tell me how the laws suddenly failed...by providing actual court rulings, not hyperbole and your perception that dudes in Warnock t-shirts were doing what you thought was campaigning in line (also, if that was happening you should have reported it, if you didn't). Anecdotal "But that's what I saw" are notoriously unreliable, biased, and most often a rhetorical device that people resort to when the actual factual information does not support their emotions. Perception may feel like the truth to you, but it often isn't. There were reports of Gomer Pyles following trucks around because they thought they had illegal ballots in them, all because they thought Trump said so.

Is photographic evidence sufficient for you?:

District 61 state Rep. Roger Bruce hands out snacks to voters while wearing a polo shirt with his name on it last week. The Georgia Secretary of State’s Office confirmed it is investigating whether Bruce violated state elections law.
https://www.douglascountysentinel.com/n ... d0fe9.html

The abuse politicians were doing with the loopholes are too much, and deserved legislation. The GA law bans what this politician did.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:06 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

Is photographic evidence sufficient for you?:

District 61 state Rep. Roger Bruce hands out snacks to voters while wearing a polo shirt with his name on it last week. The Georgia Secretary of State’s Office confirmed it is investigating whether Bruce violated state elections law.
https://www.douglascountysentinel.com/n ... d0fe9.html

The abuse politicians were doing with the loopholes are too much, and deserved legislation. The GA law bans what this politician did.

Well I asked about Warnock....The link provided doesn't YET confirm that any law was broken--it may very well be that he did.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 pm

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says he will boycott Major League Baseball events after the league pulled its All-Star Game from Georgia

Abbott also said Monday he was declining to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Texas Rangers' home opening game.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/05 ... -baseball/

I concur with Gov. Abbott's stance. We will not be pushed around by Corporations who think they are the de facto arbitrators of right and wrong.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:28 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says he will boycott Major League Baseball events after the league pulled its All-Star Game from Georgia

Abbott also said Monday he was declining to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Texas Rangers' home opening game.

I concur with Gov. Abbott's stance. We will not be pushed around by Corporations who think they are the de facto arbitrators of right and wrong.

Somebody so quickly forgets Trump and the NFL...

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:34 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

You created this with Citizens United so enjoy the fruits of your labor! But honestly Abbott is threatening us with a good time by not showing up :rotfl:

luckyone wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Who could forget the $250,000 virtue signaling seen from Mars of rope-a-dope Pence showing up to a Colts game and then leaving after the national anthem.

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:36 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

You created this with Citizens United so enjoy the fruits of your labor!

luckyone wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Who could forget the $250,000 virtue signaling seen from Mars of rope-a-dope Pence showing up to a Colts game and then leaving after the national anthem.

A departure which in reality had been scheduled and planned all along. He just took advantage of a headline.

People are free to patronize or not any establishment of their choosing. But am I the only one with whiplash? It's comical that the very people complaining about boycotts are stating that they're going to turn around and do the very same thing they find criticize. What they're basically saying is "I want to be more ridiculous just to show you that I can." Meanwhile, we're supposed to support our corporations and respect the fact that they create jobs (tax breaks!!!!!)...until they take a position we don't like. "We love the market until it doesn't validate us!!" NEWSFLASH: plenty of people who don't support this bill like baseball too. This Big Tent marriage between corporate conservatives, Kulturkampf values voters, and blue collar Trump voters is not going to last forever.
Last edited by luckyone on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newark727

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:43 pm

Forgive me if I'm not convinced by all these right-wing posters who have suddenly always been against corporate power. The GOP only spent the last forty years helping big businesses grow as large, as undertaxed, and as underregulated as they could get away with. You don't get to complain when they choose to start throwing their weight around.

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:46 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Forgive me if I'm not convinced by all these right-wing posters who have suddenly always been against corporate power. The GOP only spent the last forty years helping big businesses grow as large, as undertaxed, and as underregulated as they could get away with. You don't get to complain when they choose to start throwing their weight around.

See my above post. We are witnessing a realignment of the political parties, as happens every so often. Once traditionally blue collar and lower SES voters are trending Republican the last two or three cycles, and the once solidly Republican, higher educated, higher SES white collar suburbs are trending Democratic.

The Christian right, "moral majority," "I have the right to tell you how to live but don't infringe on my freedom" crowd has been solidly Republican for forty years now. That isn't changing. This crowd wants a government imposed morality.

What's changing is the blue collar crowd. Quite a few of these folks want an industrial welfare state. Trump appealed to that.

alfa164

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:04 pm

luckyone wrote:
We are witnessing a realignment of the political parties, as happens every so often. Once traditionally blue collar and lower SES voters are trending Republican the last two or three cycles, and the once solidly Republican, higher educated, higher SES white collar suburbs are trending Democratic.
The Christian right, "moral majority," "I have the right to tell you how to live but don't infringe on my freedom" crowd has been solidly Republican for forty years now. That isn't changing. This crowd wants a government imposed morality.
What's changing is the blue collar crowd. Quite a few of these folks want an industrial welfare state. Trump appealed to that.

... and don't forget all the whining about "cancel culture", which was an abomination until the Far Right decided they wanted to cancel Coca-Cola, Delta, the MLB... and anyone else who wants to take a stand against voter suppression...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:11 pm

alfa164 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
We are witnessing a realignment of the political parties, as happens every so often. Once traditionally blue collar and lower SES voters are trending Republican the last two or three cycles, and the once solidly Republican, higher educated, higher SES white collar suburbs are trending Democratic.

... and don't forget all the whining about "cancel culture", which was an abomination until the Far Right decided they wanted to cancel Coca-Cola, Delta, the MLB... and anyone else who wants to take a stand against voter suppression...

:roll:

Things conservative groups have tried to cancel:
Heavy Metal
Harry Potter
Teletubbies
Disney
Dixie Chicks
Dungeons and Dragons
France -- can you say Freedom Fries?
Ellen
Pokemon
Lord of the Rings
Disney
Jane Fonda (though that one has some reasonable justification IMHO, and I like Jane Fonda...)

Not a group, but my mother STILL will not watch a movie with Tom Hanks in it because he donated to Bill Clinton's legal defense fund. (Separately, this hard core Reagan free-trade supporting woman went hard for Trump because Republicanism validates her, but that's a separate story).

They only seem to be selectively disturbed by "cancel culture."

2122M

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:14 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Speaking from personal experience, while waiting in line (Fulton County here) there were a few people with "Warnock" shirts going up and down the line (I waited about 30-40 minutes to vote btw) offering people pizza and saying "You're gonna vote for the right guy today aren't you?". This is why the GA bill addresses handing out food/drinks to people in line and leaving them alone.

This is already illegal. Sounds like Georgia needs to enforce the laws it already has on the books. No need for new laws now.

"Ga. Code § 21-2-414

It is illegal to campaign within 150 ft. of the outer edge of the building where a polling place is established, or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line

● Campaign Materials/Signs/Banners/Literature

● Influencing Voters/Soliciting Votes/Political Persuasion

● Circulating Petitions/Soliciting Signatures

● Polls/Exit Polls – Note: exit polls and opinion polls are prohibited within 25 ft. of the exit"

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 pm

2122M wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

This is already illegal. Sounds like Georgia needs to enforce the laws it already has on the books. No need for new laws now.

"Ga. Code § 21-2-414

It is illegal to campaign within 150 ft. of the outer edge of the building where a polling place is established, or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line

● Campaign Materials/Signs/Banners/Literature

● Influencing Voters/Soliciting Votes/Political Persuasion

● Circulating Petitions/Soliciting Signatures

● Polls/Exit Polls – Note: exit polls and opinion polls are prohibited within 25 ft. of the exit"

It's the ERA of election laws. :scratchchin:

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:15 pm

I'm going to add some more fuel to this fire of MLB and how it relates to the favorite topic of pro-business conservatives: Market.

How many MLB Teams are there? 29 in the US. One in Canada (yeah they pay franchising fees too...)

How many states have MLB teams? The answer is17 plus the Provence of Ontario.

How many of those markets reliably vote conservative? The answer is...less than half of either 17 or 30. That starts to skew even less favorably toward traditionally conservative areas" when revenue and overall franchise value are taken into account according to some metrics: https://thecardinalnation.com/ranking-m ... -strength/
https://www.sportico.com/valuations/tea ... 234625755/

So ask yourself in the middle of your righteous indignation, what would you do if you were the MLB and looking out for your bottom line...

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:55 pm

luckyone wrote:
I'm going to add some more fuel to this fire of MLB and how it relates to the favorite topic of pro-business conservatives: Market.

How many MLB Teams are there? 29 in the US. One in Canada (yeah they pay franchising fees too...)

How many of those markets reliably vote conservative? The answer is...less than half of either 17 or 30. That starts to skew even less favorably toward traditionally conservative areas" when revenue and overall franchise value are taken into account according to some metrics: https://thecardinalnation.com/ranking-m ... -strength/

So ask yourself in the middle of your righteous indignation, what would you do if you were the MLB and looking out for your bottom line...

Yours is an overly simplistic approach. Here's an article from Forbes that analyzes things a bit more...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kirkwakefi ... ee75805357

"Those with more liberal ideology are more likely to believe the relocation of the All-Star game from Atlanta to be a wise decision and to believe MLB is more competent. These are also the same people who do not watch or attend MLB games. To the extent MLB is attempting to attract these infrequent fans, the decision may make sense.

In contrast, those who more frequently watch and attend MLB games are more likely to think the relocation decision is unwise and that MLB is less competent. To those fans following MLB, the decision makes less sense."

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:00 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Yours is an overly simplistic approach. Here's an article from Forbes that analyzes things a bit more...

"Those with more liberal ideology are more likely to believe the relocation of the All-Star game from Atlanta to be a wise decision and to believe MLB is more competent. These are also the same people who do not watch or attend MLB games. To the extent MLB is attempting to attract these infrequent fans, the decision may make sense.

In contrast, those who more frequently watch and attend MLB games are more likely to think the relocation decision is unwise and that MLB is less competent. To those fans following MLB, the decision makes less sense."

Guess we'll just have to see. Meanwhile we have a right winger endorsing the results of a poll. Rich.

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:58 pm

luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Guess we'll just have to see. Meanwhile we have a right winger endorsing the results of a poll. Rich.

You're assuming i'm a "right winger". Also, as someone that was a statistics major in College (I did eventually change it) it's not about endorsing a poll but rather it's the specifics of the poll that determine if it's reliable and if it has accounted for certain items that skew the results in a certain way.

ABC News had Biden at +17 in Wisconsin less than a week before the election. Surely you can see why some people are skeptical of polls. When it comes to Trump many have been extremely inaccurate. Biden won Wisconsin by about 0.6%.

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:02 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

ABC News had Biden at +17 in Wisconsin less than a week before the election. Surely you can see why some people are skeptical of polls. When it comes to Trump many have been extremely inaccurate. Biden won Wisconsin by about 0.6%.

In spite of being a one-time statistics major you make my point perfectly. People zeroed in on that one result and ignored the rest, or rather showed their bias and ignorance, quite a few of them pointing that poll as an example of how polls cannot be trusted--nevermind that Trump still lost Wisconsin.

As for my assumption...it is indeed an educated guess. You joined yesterday, and don't appear (per your post history which is readily available) to have posted in any other threated but this one. Another assumption yes, but it suggests this thread played a role in your joining this sight.
Last edited by luckyone on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:13 pm

luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
luckyone wrote:

In spite of being a one-time statistics major you make my point perfectly. People zeroed in on that one result and ignored the rest, or rather showed their bias and ignorance.

As for my assumption...it is indeed an educated guess. You joined yesterday, and don't appear (per your post history which is readily available) to have posted in any other threated but this one. Another assumption yes, but it suggests this thread played a role in your joining this sight.

People believe what they choose to believe but it is a widely accepted fact that polling when it comes to Trump is extremely inaccurate. Happened in the 2016 election and happened in the 2020 election.

Yes, this is my first thread. Does someone that judges each issue by the merits and doesn't toe the line with the liberal left automatically get labeled as a "right winger"? That just validates the point that the violent and aggressive nature of the left is what's actually the problem. Believe as we do or else...

luckyone

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:16 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

In spite of being a one-time statistics major you make my point perfectly. People zeroed in on that one result and ignored the rest, or rather showed their bias and ignorance.

People believe what they choose to believe but it is a widely accepted fact that polling when it comes to Trump is extremely inaccurate. Happened in the 2016 election and happened in the 2020 election.

Yes, this is my first thread. Does someone that judges each issue by the merits and doesn't toe the line with the liberal left automatically get labeled as a "right winger"? That just validates the point that the violent and aggressive nature of the left is what's actually the problem. Believe as we do or else...

Yet Trump still lost Wisconsin in 2020. Alone in and of itself this being your first thread, no. But your comments, activity, and already desiring to label the left as violent aggressive (ahem did you miss January 6) have lent themselves to the suggestion that your political persuasion is likely more of the right. So...I stand by my comment, that a likely right winger is endorsing poll results, and I find the prospect rather comical after all is said and done. Make of that what you wish. And before you go there, my voting record (not to mention extensive criticism of left wing politicians on this website) would make the suggestion that I am of the "violent and aggressive" left rather foolish.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:25 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
luckyone wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

You're assuming i'm a "right winger". Also, as someone that was a statistics major in College (I did eventually change it) it's not about endorsing a poll but rather it's the specifics of the poll that determine if it's reliable and if it has accounted for certain items that skew the results in a certain way.

Yet the actual Biden results in most of the states that were controversial had a less than 1 point variance from the RCP average of polls. People fixate on one result to decide something is ‘fixed’ and lose sight of the big picture. Cherry picking to fit the Hannity/Carlson/Maddow hyperemotional narrative.

As for MLB, fans are generally behind things that are decided as long as the players and owners are also generally in agreement, such as the controversial rule changes in recent years that have more or less become normalized. The Braves were against the decision naturally, but in quotes from owners and players around the league, there is broad support for Manfred’s decision. MLB is a very diverse workplace and most people within it have each other’s back as a result. A good lesson for the country as a whole about what it means to be a team.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 pm

How’s that Trump boycott drive going...ah, nevermind :lol:

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status ... 73475?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

Yet the actual Biden results in most of the states that were controversial had a less than 1 point variance from the RCP average of polls. People fixate on one result to decide something is ‘fixed’ and lose sight of the big picture. Cherry picking to fit the Hannity/Carlson/Maddow hyperemotional narrative.

As for MLB, fans are generally behind things that are decided as long as the players and owners are also generally in agreement, such as the controversial rule changes in recent years that have more or less become normalized. The Braves were against the decision naturally, but in quotes from owners and players around the league, there is broad support for Manfred’s decision. MLB is a very diverse workplace and most people within it have each other’s back as a result. A good lesson for the country as a whole about what it means to be a team.

Not quite...

Florida -
RCP average = Biden +0.9
Actual = Trump +3.3

North Carolina -
RCP average = Trump +0.2
Actual = Trump +1.3

Michigan -
RCP average = Biden +4.2
Actual = Biden +2.8

Wisconsin -
RCP average = Biden +6.7
Actual = Biden +0.7

Ohio -
RCP average = Trump +1.0
Actual = Trump +8.2

Iowa -
RCP average = Trump +2.0
Actual = Trump +8.2

Texas -
RCP average = Trump +1.3
Actual = Trump +5.8

Maine CD2 -
RCP average = Biden +2/+3 (No average provided buy based on all polls RCP listed)
Actual = Trump +7.7

General Election -
RCP average = Biden +7.2
Actual = Biden +4.5

That’s different than the analysis I saw in November that looked at the RCP averages without the influence of badly skewed pollsters like Civiqs (+D) and Trafalgar (+R). Perhaps the reference value was 3 points, not 1 though. Nowhere near the ‘they were off by 9-10 points’ claims bandied about by Trump media sycophants.

art

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:42 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
That’s different than the analysis I saw in November that looked at the RCP averages without the influence of badly skewed pollsters like Civiqs (+D) and Trafalgar (+R).

I can't quite believe what is written above (unless I've completely misunderstood). You're not saying that some opinion poll organisations have political allegiances, are you? Surely not - that's almost unbelievable to me.

NIKV69

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:50 pm

I remember how we are supposed to model our health care system after Canada well how about their voting system?

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?s ... dex&lang=e
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:58 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I remember how we are supposed to model our health care system after Canada well how about their voting system?

Yep, in the OP it was stated that ID - as long as multiple options are available - is not an issue.

Healthcare reform would give people more mental stress relief than voting changes though lol

bigGAplane

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:59 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Canada must be racist as well for requiring ID

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:04 am

bigGAplane wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Cool story, but racism hasn’t been the theme here. Pettiness, power play and redundancy, yeah.

luckyone

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am

I don't have an objection to ID requirements...until you pull a North Carolina and actively seek out which IDs African Americans used to vote.

Meanwhile, it's worth pointing out that in spite of the fact that North Carolina took just as long to tabulate its votes as a few other states, because Trump won North Carolina, nobody squabbled about it.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:14 am

luckyone wrote:
I don't have an objection to ID requirements...until you pull a North Carolina and actively seek out which IDs African Americans used to vote.

Meanwhile, it's worth pointing out that in spite of the fact that North Carolina took just as long to tabulate its votes as a few other states, because Trump won North Carolina, nobody squabbled about it.

Speaking of fraud claims, they also never mentioned the ongoing federal sweep in NC precisely because Trump ended up winning. Apparently the probe is now closed and they ended up with 70 prosecutions...out of millions of NC voters :lol:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/polit ... 56185.html

bigGAplane

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 am

Aaron747 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Cool story, but racism hasn’t been the theme here. Pettiness, power play and redundancy, yeah.

You're kidding right? The whole "Jim Crow 2.0" isn't about racism??? Are you kidding me? That's literally been the main headline of several media outlets. All perpetuated by lies spread by Joe Biden who was even called out by the Washington Post for lying about it.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:20 am

bigGAplane wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

You're kidding right? The whole "Jim Crow 2.0" isn't about racism??? Are you kidding me? That's literally been the main headline of several media outlets. All perpetuated by lies spread by Joe Biden who was even called out by the Washington Post for lying about it.

Talking about this thread, not the Rachel Maddow show.

bigGAplane

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:44 am

Aaron747 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

This thread has multiple references to Jim Crow and racism.

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:14 am

bigGAplane wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

This thread has multiple references to Jim Crow and racism.

Just "calling it what it is".

bigGAplane wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Dumb. Canada allows dozens and dozens of forms of IDs. States in the USA limit a) the number of IDs b) whose IDs count--ie concealed handgun yes, but state university student ID no and c) how you can acquire those IDs--ie where the DMVs are located, when they're open, etc.. It's all a carefully coordinated system to explicitly allow everyone access to the franchise regardless of demographic while implicitly denying certain groups with "almost surgical precision" as they said in North Carolina. People think Jim Crow was a big sign that said "blacks can't vote" when it was a literacy test knowing full well of the massive inequity in education. But today it's 'oh you need an ID but the DMV in your county has been closed and the one in the next county is only open during working hours and the bus has also been canned so sorry good luck!'

But by all means let's have Canada's Voter ID laws and ID access--you could pass that tomorrow with every Democrat supporting it.

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Speaking of fraud claims, they also never mentioned the ongoing federal sweep in NC precisely because Trump ended up winning. Apparently the probe is now closed and they ended up with 70 prosecutions...out of millions of NC voters :lol:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/polit ... 56185.html

Exactly. Again it's just certain people the GOP is concerned about. You know the ones. They're largely in Fulton county and uhh...not necessarily hortland Americans if you catch my drift wink wink nudge nudge.

NIKV69

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:09 pm

Veigar wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Veigar wrote:
It took me 10 minutes to vote in Vegas, which I'd consider heavily democratic.

It's not.

What is it then?

Well the NLV Mayor just jumped ship so I wouldn't call it heavy anything.

https://twitter.com/kaitlyn_olvera/stat ... 72709?s=19
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

northstardc4m

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Yep, in the OP it was stated that ID - as long as multiple options are available - is not an issue.

Healthcare reform would give people more mental stress relief than voting changes though lol
You CAN actually vote without ID in Canada too, you need some one else from that polling area with ID to swear an attestation or declaration to a polling officer at the polling station that you are who you say.

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?d ... ection=res

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

seb146

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:10 pm

Republicans keep saying they are patriotic and how they defend freedom and liberty but then they take away freedom and liberty from other Americans. Republicans whine about "cancel culture" while trying to cancel voting then complain they are the victims when people resist and try to vote.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!