Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

Almost one in five hand sanitizers in the US contain carcinogen, benzene

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:33 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ndemic-gap
According to the research done by a company, 17% out of 260 hand sanitizers they found in the US contain benzene, a known carcinogen, of which 8% or 21 of them contain benzene level exceeding 2ppm, the relaxed limit FDA made during the pandemic which is deemed tolerable for "relatively short period of time".
----
Now, what does this "relatively short period of time" mean that now we are more than a year into the pandemic, and how's the quality of hand sanitizers outside the US in term of their harmful substance content?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

flipdewaf

Re: Almost one in five hand sanitizers in the US contain carcinogen, benzene

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:11 am

“The dose makes the poison” oxygen kills over time because of its dosage. I’d wager the time period is that which the sanitisers give more benefit through their virus stopping properties than they give detrimental effects through carcinogens.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pellegrine

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:26 am

...do not buy non-name brand hand sanitizer...
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Is there anything that isn’t carcinogenic? Everything I’ve bought in the last few years is deadly according to Prop. 65

CitizenJustin

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:55 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Is there anything that isn’t carcinogenic? Everything I’ve bought in the last few years is deadly according to Prop. 65

Lol this is so true. I thought we’d all have brain tumors from cell phones by now.

T18

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 pm

All the more reason to just use soap and water I suppose. Although I'm sure California has found both of those to also cause cancer.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:19 pm

T18 wrote:
All the more reason to just use soap and water I suppose. Although I'm sure California has found both of those to also cause cancer.

People that consume dihydrogen monoxide have a 100% death rate. :stirthepot:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

cjg225

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:39 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Same as people who consume, "H2O, too." :devil:
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

phatfarmlines

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:53 am

Very surprising to see so many Mexican companies on that list. The U.S. is importing that many hand sanitizers?

N1120A

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:34 pm

5 in 5 hand sanitizers contain a carcinogen. Alcohol.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CH47A

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:21 am

You know, that post about soap and water brings up something that caught my attention back when this Covid-19 trouble started, and I forget from whom I read this; but soap and water doesn't kill germs. It just washes them away. Now it seems that would be so logical and I am absolutely sure them medical folks have known this, but I am sure not a medical professional and I suppose I never really gave it much thought before all this Covid trouble started, but I think I thought that soap and water actually killed germs. Pretty stupid, aren't I? Actually, I think my wife showed some surprise when we read that. But I have it on excellent authority (her) that she isn't stupid.

But really, I somehow thought that soap and water was killing germs, and I have been living on this planet for over six decades, so that means ... well, more than "pretty stupid" --- really stupid and for a long time.

Come to think of it, I just recently saw an article about the health benefits of mosquitoes. I'm not kidding. I really did. Maybe in the last 24 to 48 hours. Them little fellas clean water and some other good stuff. I'll bet them mosquitoes don't use soap and water.

By the way, I've already got cancer in my system. Blood cancer. Lost a whole bunch of hair during that first round of chemotherapy. But they seem to have gotten it under control and I am still above ground. And them medical professionals don't even want to think about where I might have picked up the stuff that caused the blood cancer. I've been stationed in some mighty strange AOs in past years. And breathing all that JP4 fumes for so many years couldn't have been so great for my system, either. Me and carcinogens are drinking buddies.

fr8mech

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:34 am

CH47A wrote:
soap and water doesn't kill germs.

From the CD website:

Lathering with soap and scrubbing your hands for 20 seconds is important to this process because these actions physically destroy germs and remove germs and chemicals from your skin. When you rinse your hands, you wash the germs and chemicals down the drain.

I don't know about you, but "physically destroy germs" sure does sound like it kills germs.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/faqs.html

CH47A wrote:
By the way, I've already got cancer in my system.

Good luck. I'm 4 years "clean".
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

CH47A

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:03 am

Truthfully, I do not remember what the source was, but it sure was some source that must have seemed reliable.

But I am sort of happy you went to the trouble to post that, because maybe I can now claim to be just a tad less stupid than a short time ago.

I might have to do some checking now. I wouldn't be surprised if I saved that source of information. Might have been on the BBC site. It was in English, I'm rather sure about that, although I do use a few other languages from time-to-time. I'm rather sure that one was in English.

CDC and soap and water will "destroy" germs, eh? That's mighty interesting. Yep, thank you.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:30 pm

The 'surfactant' activity of soap and water can break down cell membranes of bacteria. But as important it washes them and viruses away. I used 'hand washers' a handful of times. I just practiced not touching things away from the house. Some things have to be touched, but most can be avoided.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

alfa164

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:34 pm

c933103 wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-24/carcinogen-found-in-hand-sanitizers-that-plugged-pandemic-gap
According to the research done by a company, 17% out of 260 hand sanitizers they found in the US contain benzene, a known carcinogen, of which 8% or 21 of them contain benzene level exceeding 2ppm, the relaxed limit FDA made during the pandemic which is deemed tolerable for "relatively short period of time". Now, what does this "relatively short period of time" mean that now we are more than a year into the pandemic, and how's the quality of hand sanitizers outside the US in term of their harmful substance content?

That just proves what I have been saying all alone: you shouldn't drink your hand sanitizer...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

bpatus297

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:10 pm

alfa164 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-24/carcinogen-found-in-hand-sanitizers-that-plugged-pandemic-gap
According to the research done by a company, 17% out of 260 hand sanitizers they found in the US contain benzene, a known carcinogen, of which 8% or 21 of them contain benzene level exceeding 2ppm, the relaxed limit FDA made during the pandemic which is deemed tolerable for "relatively short period of time". Now, what does this "relatively short period of time" mean that now we are more than a year into the pandemic, and how's the quality of hand sanitizers outside the US in term of their harmful substance content?

That just proves what I have been saying all alone: you shouldn't drink your hand sanitizer...

;)

I have smelled some of the hand sanitizers that were made by distilleries due to the shortage at the beginning of the pandemic smell like straight up vodka.

WesternDC6B

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Hand sanitizers and carcinogens. Look at the container, regardless of brand. Look at the country of origin for most of it, especially the off brands and the store brands.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

vikkyvik

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:31 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
People that consume dihydrogen monoxide have a 100% death rate.

Oddly, people that do not consume dihydrogen monoxide also have a 100% death rate.

Seems like we're screwed either way!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DIRECTFLT

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:50 am

When I wash my hands at home, with soap and warm water, I use a hand brush. But I was doing that before Covid.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aaron747

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:03 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
When I wash my hands at home, with soap and warm water, I use a hand brush. But I was doing that before Covid.

Brushes are useful if your skin is excessively dirty but it's best to use them sparingly. Brush use can disrupt the pH of your skin, which alters protective properties of skin oils.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DIRECTFLT

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Brushes are useful if your skin is excessively dirty but it's best to use them sparingly. Brush use can disrupt the pH of your skin, which alters protective properties of skin oils.

The main part that I use the brush for is the fingertips, that parts that touch food.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

WesternDC6B

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:14 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
People that consume dihydrogen monoxide have a 100% death rate.

Oddly, people that do not consume dihydrogen monoxide also have a 100% death rate.

Seems like we're screwed either way!

Oh! I'm feeling faint! Please, bring me a glass of water!
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

WesternDC6B

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:15 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

If you don't consume it in California, you will be just fine.

WesternDC6B

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:19 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Lol this is so true. I thought we’d all have brain tumors from cell phones by now.

I'm old enough to remember when cranberries caused cancer. They started doing so at this time of year, back in either 1957 or 1958. After the gullible public was wound up in enough of a tizzy and damage had been done to the industry and farmers, it was determined - conveniently AFTER the holiday season - that no, they don't cause cancer.

Then it was coffee.
Then it was oats that then were declared good for you.
Recent ones include gluten being a poison that "they" put in baked goods, but the "they" is not defined.
Now, a virus with a >99% survival rate is a pandemic.

WesternDC6B

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:20 pm

cjg225 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Same as people who consume, "H2O, too." :devil:

And H2O2, too!