Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetwet1
Topic Author

Mesh Wifi

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:51 pm

We have just moved into a new home and I am noticing a number of spots in the house where the current routers wifi signal is just not providing coverage.

I fell down the YouTube/Amazon rabbit hole last night on the subject of Mesh systems and am now more undecided than before.

I am thinking the Eero system from Amazon is the way to go, but I am wondering if anyone here has any input or thoughts.

tommy1808

Re: Mesh Wifi

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:57 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
I am thinking the Eero system from Amazon is the way to go, but I am wondering if anyone here has any input or thoughts.

I wouldn't invest in Wifi 5 based solutions anymore.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

LCDFlight

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Before you commit to Mesh, you might want to make sure you have the newest type of load-balancing, long range wifi router. I replaced my Apple Express router with a 10 years newer router with 3 big antennas. It was good enough to use just one. Especially, today's household can have 20+ wifi devices without realizing it, and this really messes up old routers.

fr8mech

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:34 pm

I’ve had a 3 unit EERO in the house for several years. Eliminated all my dead spots and extended the range well out into my deck, so I can take a TV out there and watch movies by the fire pit. No problems at all.

tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

That’s a non-answer. What’s the great and omniscient Tommy think should be done?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

ThePointblank

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:07 pm

Depends on your budget, but the Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 (RBK852) is a high performance, but expensive system.

tommy1808

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:20 am

fr8mech wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

That’s a non-answer. What’s the great and omniscient Tommy think should be done?

Not being omniscient is why I didn't recommend a product that might just be available here, but it seems

ThePointblank wrote:
Depends on your budget, but the Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 (RBK852) is a high performance, but expensive system.

Better is available in the US as well.

Best regards
Thomas

WIederling

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
We have just moved into a new home and I am noticing a number of spots in the house where the current routers wifi signal is just not providing coverage.

Move the router. ( .. out of the basement :-)) , some testing needed)
works wonders.
avoid same band wireless||wireless extenders.
you get more reach but less throughput.
Murphy is an optimist

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:53 pm

WIederling wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Move the router. ( .. out of the basement :-)) , some testing needed)
works wonders.

Having router in the basement in good idea if you have a powerful enough router. It keep the signal close to home. Having omni-directional antenne in the above ground floors only spreads the signal to neighbors. My own Wi-FI is not the strongest in second floor, I can see most of the networks in the sub-division.

Also basement is an easy ingress point for your ISP/WAN. and if you have a lot of Ethernet cables going into router, it can get quiet ugly in any living area. If you want have a backup UPS for the router(+modem) that is another bulky ugly thing.

Yes, weak and dead spots are an issue, a) finding right spot for your router(in the basement), b) having ETH cabling, c) having antenna extension cables or d) more powerful router should be given priority before looking into WI-Fi extenders/mesh because they are additional security risk points.
All posts are just opinions.

fr8mech

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:32 pm

WIederling wrote:

Agreed. I have a desk draw with a couple of different ones in there, that just didn’t do what I wanted/needed.

Having never used anything but the eero, I can’t compare it to other manufacturers, but I will tell you that the system handled everything we threw at it. Two students online all day, with the wife working from home, and me doing the occasional Zoom call. No lag, no stuttering, no drops.

ThePointblank wrote:

So what’s the difference between 5 and 6, other than price? Double the speed? Triple? Better throughout? Better capacity?

Asking the Google machine, it seems the difference isn’t so much speed as capacity. Since my 5 seems to do well with the current load...and I’m not thinking about adding more, upgrading really wouldn’t show me much improvement.

I guess the answer to your question is in 2 parts, security considerations aside.

The first consideration is manufacturer. My only experience is with eero. No issues for me. Works as advertised.

The second consideration is how many devices will be using the system at the same time, and what kind of capacity do they need?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

WIederling

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:18 pm

fr8mech wrote:
. No lag, no stuttering, no drops.

Your bottleneck (if there is one) tends to be
in the inet pipe to your house
and less so in local (inhouse) infrastructure.
Murphy is an optimist

tommy1808

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:34 pm

fr8mech wrote:

ThePointblank wrote:

So what’s the difference between 5 and 6, other than price? Double the speed? Triple? Better throughout? Better capacity?

All of that, but with many devices being battery powered TWT is a quite major improvement for battery life. MU-MIMO is neat when multiple streams come into play, especially in mulit-hop mesh environments.

Best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:28 pm

I have a modest 3 bedroom home with a bonus room i could never get the signal I needed out of the room that has the internet connection( one side of the house). I used to get great internet in the room with the router, but by the time you moved through 2-3 walls, you have issues with a single band system. Wireless phones, Microwaves, and kids walkie talkies take a toll, along with the occasional zap from the garage door opener. The mesh system takes that out of play with multiple routers, and multiple paths.

I use the google wifi mesh with 3 routers and it works great at covering the deadspots my old ASUS and netgear could never cover. It is not triband, and for more complicated setups, you may need a triband, but this one works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-Syst ... 155&sr=1-3

It is faster than the bandwidth to my hose,and I am able to run 20 devices at a time with low latency and lag. I can hit 60-70% of my internet bandwidth 150 feet away from the actual carrier entry modem.
My kid is able to win multiple fortnight contests ,so delay and lag are not too bad.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

AerBuzz

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:46 pm

We have always had the eero system in our house so I can't compare it to any other systems, but I've never had any problems with it. I'm a full-time student so I'm basically online the whole day and my parents are working from home on another floor level and everything works fine for us.

However,I found an article that compares different types of wifi routers if you want to expand your wifi coverage in your house. It's a very informative German article, which can easily be translated with DeepL or Google Translator: https://www.kaufberater.io/wlan-router-test/
Wer sich nicht bewegt, spürt seine Fesseln nicht!