Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

astuteman

Re: F1 - 2021 Season

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:26 pm

scbriml wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Easy out there for the stewarts, no new evidence, case closed.

Lots of rumours that Red Bull’s main new evidence is GPS data which shows that Hamilton was never as fast through Copse on any other lap in the race. However, I’m really struggling to grasp how the stewards can consider “the future” when judging an incident in “the present”. I can’t see how the evidence can be admissible.

petertenthije wrote:
I would not be surprised if this is more a jab at the FIA then at Mercedes. This incident will have to come out of Red Bull's regular budget, which the FIA has limited at 145 million per season. Writing of a car at 1,5 million is going to impact Red Bull's future options (in addition to having lost points)

My guess is they will want to either get a (partial) refund by Mercedes, or that the spending limit is raised by the value of this write-off.

There’s no mechanism for any of those things to happen and the rules won’t change mid-season. All the teams will have contingency built into their budgets, but obviously $1.8 million is a big chunk to lose. I would point out that Mercedes has also suffered a massive car accident with Bottas car.

Not picked up on here yet, but Stewards rejected the Red Bull appeal..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58014629

I wonder if the cost of the lawyers comes out of the season spending cap? :scratchchin: :)

Probably a good time for Red Bull to get back on with the job of racing instead of politicking.

Be interesting to see if Max can decide which approach gives him a better chance of winning the championship - more measured, or more aggressive?

Rgds

scbriml
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:14 pm

astuteman wrote:
Not picked up on here yet, but Stewards rejected the Red Bull appeal..

Red Bull's "new and significant evidence" was laughable.

From https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... SPMUP.html:
Red Bull submitted four pieces of evidence, which were all slides created by the team, to show:

GPS data available to them of both Hamilton and Verstappen’s car
GPS data drawing “various alleged comparisons" with the line taken by Hamilton when passing Charles Leclerc for the lead later in the race at the same corner
Alleged lap simulations of the incident
What was described as a “re-enactment” of Hamilton’s lap one line at Silverstone based on a lap allegedly driven by Alex Albon

The smack-down by the stewards was pretty damning:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-r ... y/6638595/
In a statement issued by the stewards, the FIA was clear that the slides were neither new nor ‘discovered’ as the rules demand.

It stated: “That what was presented to the Stewards was not "a significant and relevant new element [that was] discovered which was unavailable to the parties seeking the review at the time of the decision concerned".

“The slides in Appendix 2 of the Competitor's letter that were relied upon as New Evidence were not "discovered" but created for the purposes of submissions to support the Petition for Review. And they were created based on evidence that was available to the Competitor at the time of the decision (namely the GPS data). That clearly does not satisfy the requirements of Article 14.”

Further, they slam Red Bull for some of the things they said (but not revealed) in their covering letter:
The FIA added: “The Stewards note, with some concern, certain allegations made in the Competitor's above letter.

“Such allegations may or may not have been relevant to the Stewards if the Petition for Review had been granted. The Stewards may have addressed these allegations directly in any decision that would have followed. The Petition having been dismissed, the Stewards make no comments on those allegations.”

One can only conclude that Red Bull made some very unsavoury accusations in the letter. The three Mercedes representatives at the hearing would have known what was said. A short while after the FIA dismissed Red Bull's request for a review, Mercedes issued the following statement:

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 68/photo/1

In other news - apparently there's some sort of motor race this weekend! :spin:

Virtual737

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:03 am

Hopefully now any RedBull and MV fans will look inwards before constantly calling LH a whiner (which he can be). Christian Horner has spend too much time with Helmet (or is it Helmut?) and has become Whiner In Chief himself.

Anyway, all of this nonsense will ideally make what is already a great season into an even better one.

TangoandCash

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:08 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Anyway, all of this nonsense will ideally make what is already a great season into an even better one.

I can't wait to see how Netflix's Drive to Survive covers this off-track nonsense/drama in their next season.

Virtual737

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:14 am

TangoandCash wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

I can't wait to see how Netflix's Drive to Survive covers this off-track nonsense/drama in their next season.

Which team is the focus of the next series?

StarAC17

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:41 am

Virtual737 wrote:
TangoandCash wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Which team is the focus of the next series?

With the popularity of the series all if the teams are filmed now. It was initially all Red Bull and Haas but now it's basically all of them that are featured.

StarAC17

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:45 am

TangoandCash wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

It really depends on how the season ends, but they will make it dramatic for sure.

They were been good in season 3 depicting Red Bull's whining. The DAS, anything LH did wrong, going after Racing point etc.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:13 am

astuteman wrote:
Be interesting to see if Max can decide which approach gives him a better chance of winning the championship - more measured, or more aggressive?

Rgds

What “agressive” approach? To win he has to be in front of his rivals and VER will drive accordingly to archieve that goal.

Also remarkable that the “agressive” driving VER has 0 (zero) penalty points.
https://wtf1.com/post/why-does-each-driver-have-their-penalty-points/

Virtual737

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 am

marcelh wrote:
astuteman wrote:
Also remarkable that the “agressive” driving VER has 0 (zero) penalty points.

I think that's another strike against "the stewards are biased".

Let's be realistic. Max is a good driver and has the potential to be a great one. He might also win the WC this year, but there is a long way to go. Red Bull's constant whining while MV's supporters brand LH the whiner makes me laugh and goes some way to make Max unlikeable (he's not there just yet).

Some MV fans have commented (I haven't the time to find the source right now so let's just call it an opinion) that Lewis is a has been and is past it. As a 7 time and CURRENT world champion, 2nd in the competition this year, it just goes to show how stupid some people are when faced with a "my man versus your man" debate.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:01 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Let's be realistic. Max is a good driver and has the potential to be a great one. He might also win the WC this year, but there is a long way to go. Red Bull's constant whining while MV's supporters brand LH the whiner makes me laugh and goes some way to make Max unlikeable (he's not there just yet).

“Whining” has -unfortunately- become a part of F1 and Mercedes/HAM are very good in it. Complaining about the rear wing and “unsafe” pits stops aren’t from RBR.

Some MV fans have commented (I haven't the time to find the source right now so let's just call it an opinion) that Lewis is a has been and is past it. As a 7 time and CURRENT world champion, 2nd in the competition this year, it just goes to show how stupid some people are when faced with a "my man versus your man" debate.

True. Fortunately HAM fans are just level headed and well known for their balanced and non patriottic remarks…

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Red Bull's constant whining while MV's supporters brand LH the whiner makes me laugh and goes some way to make Max unlikeable (he's not there just yet).

One can argue the exact same thing of LH, given Mercedes-Benz's constant whining. Red Bull introduced the flexwing that makes their cars more aerodynamic on the straight? Mercedes-Benz whines to the FIA. Red Bull managed to perfect a quick pitstop, Mercedes-Benz whines to the FIA. Both times the FIA decided to change the rules in favour of the Mercedes-Benz. No wonder Red Bull's miffed.

Virtual737

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:36 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Red Bull's constant whining while MV's supporters brand LH the whiner makes me laugh and goes some way to make Max unlikeable (he's not there just yet).

One can argue the exact same thing of LH, given Mercedes-Benz's constant whining. Red Bull introduced the flexwing that makes their cars more aerodynamic on the straight? Mercedes-Benz whines to the FIA. Red Bull managed to perfect a quick pitstop, Mercedes-Benz whines to the FIA. Both times the FIA decided to change the rules in favour of the Mercedes-Benz. No wonder Red Bull's miffed.

It's "Red Bull gives you wings", not "Red Bull gives you flexwings" ;)

Virtual737

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:42 pm

marcelh wrote:
True. Fortunately HAM fans are just level headed and well known for their balanced and non patriottic remarks…

Good point well made. I'm just as bored of any fan that doesn't at least try to balance their opinions. Not just in F1, everything really. My brother gets it in the neck from me because he supports Arsenal, and they are the best team there has ever been. The problem is, a few years ago it was a different team and a few years before that it was another, depending on circumstances that shouldn't make a difference.

I sign him up to the Man U supporters club at least once a year just to make myself feel better.

Patriotism is fine to a point, but remember that the Red Bull F1 team, like most, is still as British as it is anything else, as is Christian of course.

Aesma

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:28 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Wings aren't supposed to flex and that's a long standing rule.

RBR bent the rule, which is normal in F1, but don't be surprised when things get banned because while following the letter of the rule, the spirit is trampled on.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Aesma wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

RBR bent the rule, which is normal in F1, but don't be surprised when things get banned because while following the letter of the rule, the spirit is trampled on.

Have you seen the Mercedes front wing without your Mercedes glasses?

StarAC17

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:25 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

This can go both ways easily and everytime another team slaps Redbull back they are the surprised Pickchu meme.

Redbull made a huge hissy-fit over the DAS last year which was legal and got that removed. That was Mercedes being creative
Redbull, along with McLaren and Renault (also I think Ferrari) went after Racing point last year as they stole Mercedes design from 2019.

Now Mercedes fights back a bit with the pitstops and the rear wings and the fight is on.

Furthermore Redbull openly have stirred the pot against LH and both Horner and Marko have been on the record stating that the Silverstone crash wasn't just Hamilton's fault but an intentional act.

Aesma

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:07 am

marcelh wrote:
Aesma wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Have you seen the Mercedes front wing without your Mercedes glasses?

If there is a problem I'm sure RBR has appealed already ?

To keep things in perspective let's not forget the changes in aero rules this year were made to slow down Mercedes, attacking their design philosophy. Meanwhile RBR's completely different approach to the rear aero was unaffected. So it's understandable Mercedes are looking at anything they can do at the rear, or alternatively attack what others are doing there.

Also, I'm more of a BMW and Porsche fan.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:41 am

StarAC17 wrote:
Furthermore Redbull openly have stirred the pot against LH and both Horner and Marko have been on the record stating that the Silverstone crash wasn't just Hamilton's fault but an intentional act.

"This is the greatest crowd in the world, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to bring it home for them. I'll never give up. The team did a great job this weekend and there's been a lot of pressure on for us all. Interesting tactics I would say from their side but we will do what we can to fight them in the next" - Lewis Hamilton, 2018 after Kimi Raikkonen locked up and spun him around at Silverstone. Mind you, at least he was able to finish despite the spin in that race, unlike Verstappen.

Fact of the matter is, he shouldn't complain when other people do the same thing he did to others.

Virtual737

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:19 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
"This is the greatest crowd in the world, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to bring it home for them. I'll never give up. The team did a great job this weekend and there's been a lot of pressure on for us all. Interesting tactics I would say from their side but we will do what we can to fight them in the next"

"Interesting tactics" is quite a way from being accused of doing it intentionally don't you think?

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:23 am

Virtual737 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
"This is the greatest crowd in the world, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to bring it home for them. I'll never give up. The team did a great job this weekend and there's been a lot of pressure on for us all. Interesting tactics I would say from their side but we will do what we can to fight them in the next"

"Interesting tactics" is quite a way from being accused of doing it intentionally don't you think?

It's the same thing, couched differently. Any argument that this is not so is simply nonsense.

Virtual737

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:32 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
It's the same thing, couched differently. Any argument that this is not so is simply nonsense.

Judge, jury and executioner prevails.

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am

Aesma wrote:
To keep things in perspective let's not forget the changes in aero rules this year were made to slow down Mercedes, attacking their design philosophy. Meanwhile RBR's completely different approach to the rear aero was unaffected. So it's understandable Mercedes are looking at anything they can do at the rear, or alternatively attack what others are doing there.

Please provide a reputable link with proof the aero changes were “to slow down Mercedes”. It was to slow down the field. The change which benefitted RBR had already taken place in 2020. It was banning the “party mode”, which gave Mercedes a huge advantage during qualifying. And when you start front row, it’s easier to stay in front and win the race.

Virtual737

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:11 pm

marcelh wrote:
Aesma wrote:
The change which benefitted RBR had already taken place in 2020. It was banning the “party mode”, which gave Mercedes a huge advantage during qualifying. And when you start front row, it’s easier to stay in front and win the race.

That would make it 2 decisions which benefitted Red Bull and hurt Mercedes then, yet people still say FIA are totally biased towards Mercedes.

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:16 pm

Aesma wrote:
To keep things in perspective let's not forget the changes in aero rules this year were made to slow down Mercedes, attacking their design philosophy. Meanwhile RBR's completely different approach to the rear aero was unaffected.

To keep things in perspective: Mercedes just scored a 1-2 in the Hungarian qualification. So yes, those rule changes are definately helping RBR….

Virtual737

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:30 pm

marcelh wrote:
To keep things in perspective: Mercedes just scored a 1-2 in the Hungarian qualification. So yes, those rule changes are definately helping RBR….

If you keep using a small dataset to draw you're conclusions you're going to struggle to come up with a decent argument.

https://www.mostlyf1.com/statistics/season-stats/driver-stats/most-pole-positions-in-2021-driver/

I don't think this includes the current weekend (at the time I viewed it), but it doesn't really support your argument, especially with Max leading the championship.

scbriml
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 pm

marcelh wrote:
Aesma wrote:

That's only Mercedes 4th pole in 11 races. Last season they had 15 poles in 17 races. What does that tell you?

Virtual737

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:34 am

scbriml wrote:
marcelh wrote:
Aesma wrote:

That's only Mercedes 4th pole in 11 races. Last season they had 15 poles in 17 races. What does that tell you?

Indeed. It's also only their second lockout of the year. In fact, MV has more poles than Lewis and Valtteri combined this year. Add that to the fact RBR have only won at Hungary twice in their 14 year history as a works team (and neither of those were Seb in his dominant years) and it's hardly surprising Merc have the edge so far.

Virtual737

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:06 pm

Oops... A Mercedes took out BOTH Red Bulls.....

petertenthije

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:11 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

I am sure a 10 second penaly will do the trick... ;)

Virtual737

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:12 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

I am sure a 10 second penaly will do the trick... ;)

I'm waiting to hear Toto's team order to Valtteri that PROVES they did it on purpose... )

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:15 pm

Very convenient for Mercedes and HAM…
Rookie mistake by Bottas.

Ah, the VER haters here will claim VER was driving agressive because he had a better start than BOT

TheF15Ace

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm

I knew the butler was desperate but not that desperate

Virtual737

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:22 pm

marcelh wrote:

Ah, the VER haters here will claim VER was driving agressive because he had a better start than BOT

There are very few MV haters here, just plenty of LH haters.

The red flag that was "very convenient" for LH before is also now very convenient for MV. That's perfectly fine, but it was a RB fan talking point when it benefitted LH.

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:32 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
marcelh wrote:

There are very few MV haters here, just plenty of LH haters.

Agree to disagree then.
The red flag that was "very convenient" for LH before is also now very convenient for MV. That's perfectly fine, but it was a RB fan talking point when it benefitted LH.

IMHO VER restarting at 13th place with a damaged car isn’t very convenient.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Mercedes fucked up by not calling Hamilton in.

In the words of Alonso - "Karma!"
Last edited by TheFlyingDisk on Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petertenthije

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:38 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
marcelh wrote:

Yeah, red bull are always lucky. Now again: one driver out, a title candidate with a damaged car, loosing 13 positions on a circuit known to be hard to overtake, hamilton being the only one on the start grid … when will the benefits stop.

petertenthije

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:42 pm

petertenthije wrote:
hamilton being the only one on the start grid … when will the benefits stop.
ok, i will take that last one back. That really did not work in Hamilton's favour.

And Mazepin will Mazepin.

Virtual737

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:43 pm

marcelh wrote:

Quite a lot better than continuing near the back with a massively damaged car.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

60 laps to go.

petertenthije wrote:
Yeah, red bull are always lucky. Now again: one driver out, a title candidate with a damaged car, loosing 13 positions on a circuit known to be hard to overtake, hamilton being the only one on the start grid … when will the benefits stop.

Merc just handed everyone a huge benefit with their f-up, so cheer up )

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
marcelh wrote:

Quite a lot better than continuing near the back with a massively damaged car.

After 30 laps VER is in 12th of 14 so yes, quite a lot better…

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

60 laps to go.

petertenthije wrote:

Merc just handed everyone a huge benefit with their f-up, so cheer up )

With an undamaged car HAM will straighten that out.

VER is scr.wed again by Mercedes

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:10 pm

Great race by Ocon and Vettel. Ocon should thank his teammate Alonso.
Mercedes stole the lead in the Championship by kicking RBR out in the first corner. Damage “control” by Verstappen

petertenthije

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:12 pm

Good drive by Hamilton.

Terrible shame that Red Bull where taken out by bumper car Bottas. A racing incident to be sure, but still a shame.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Alonso won his first race at the Hungaroring 18 years ago with Renault. Today his team mate does the same thing.

At least it's not a Hamilton walkover.

Also a double points finish for Williams, with Latifi finishing ahead of Russell.

scbriml
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:52 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Good drive by Hamilton.

Terrible shame that Red Bull where taken out by bumper car Bottas. A racing incident to be sure, but still a shame.

It was pretty exciting stuff and a great battle with Alonso, which cost Hamilton the chance of a win by a couple of laps.

Bottas has been given five place grid penalty for Spa for causing a collision. No arguing with that.

StarAC17

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:57 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Good drive by Hamilton.

The FIA disagreed. Bottas has been handed a 5 grid penalty at Spa for the crash.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
Except they didn't for two reasons.

One - the team is not allowed to make that communication on the formation lap.
Two - Mercedes is the first pit, so even if Hamilton came in, he wouldn't get released until all the other cars had passed. He might not have been dead last, but he'd have run a high risk of a collision in the pit lane with the whole field scrambling to change tyres at the same time.

Excuses.

They could have discussed it before the restart and told Hamilton to come in at the end of the formation lap. How do you think every other driver managed to get into the pit? They too have to face the same rule.

Also, is the Mercedes-Benz pit crew so incompetent that they can't release him safely?

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:02 pm

scbriml wrote:
Bottas has been given five place grid penalty for Spa for causing a collision. No arguing with that.

HAM is in the lead, so mission accomplished :stirthepot:

SQ22

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:49 pm

In case this thread continues to derail into just another B vs. A style fanboy thread it is about to be a locked at the very next race at the latest.

So please discuss the subject and the facts and leave out your personal emotions and preferences. Thanks.

StarAC17

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:56 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Except they didn't for two reasons.

One - the team is not allowed to make that communication on the formation lap.
Two - Mercedes is the first pit, so even if Hamilton came in, he wouldn't get released until all the other cars had passed. He might not have been dead last, but he'd have run a high risk of a collision in the pit lane with the whole field scrambling to change tyres at the same time.

Excuses.

They could have discussed it before the restart and told Hamilton to come in at the end of the formation lap. How do you think every other driver managed to get into the pit? They too have to face the same rule.

Also, is the Mercedes-Benz pit crew so incompetent that they can't release him safely?

Toto doesn't believe he made a mistake because of the pit placement of the Mercedes garages and the reshuffling that would have taken place after the restart.

Hamilton's strategy was sound and he was able to get up to P3 and had a very good undercut of Riccardo and Verstappen on his first stop after switching the intermediates out.

If it wasn't for an outstanding defensive performance by Alonso, Hamilton could very well have won this has he was basically in DRS range of Vettel when the race ended.

StarAC17

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

Except to see the memes explode on this.

Here is one from Battery Voltas.

https://twitter.com/BatteryVoltas/statu ... 23845?s=20

zkojq

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:51 pm

I am literally the smugest person on the planet right now. Esteban more than deserved that win - had Seb in his DRS Zone for the whole race and didn't make a single mistake.

Lots of people are overdue a hearty serving of humble pie about now. Esteban has for a long time been overhated.