Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LMP737

Re: Uber eats driver killed by carjackers in DC

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:27 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

Personally I think tax cuts and a clear, direct financial advantage to marriage are promising solutions. ..

I've heard this argument long ago, It didn't hold water then, and it doesn't hold water now. If you look it up you will see income taxes have been trending down since the 1950's. Using your logic, problem has already been solved. And this idea you seem to have the reason people don't get married is because is not advantageous tax wise is laughable. Rather easy to prove. Are you married? If so, did taxes ever enter your mind when you did get married? If you're not married is it because you found the love of your life but decided it wasn't worth it because of taxes?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:31 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Minimum wage is meaningless to teenagers who have no work skills or lack education courtesy the teachers’ unions.

Because obviously parents, school funding, children going up in a high crime environment where they are subjected to a constant flight or flight response in their brains which is poison to a developing mind has nothing to do with it. But hey, if you want to repeat talk radio talking points go ahead.

Confuscius

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:49 pm

"Uber eats driver killed by carjackers in DC"

Why would Uber eat one of its own drivers. It's bad enough he was killed by carjackers.
Ain't I a stinker?

LCDFlight

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:53 pm

LMP737 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Personally I think tax cuts and a clear, direct financial advantage to marriage are promising solutions. ..

I've heard this argument long ago, It didn't hold water then, and it doesn't hold water now. If you look it up you will see income taxes have been trending down since the 1950's. Using your logic, problem has already been solved. And this idea you seem to have the reason people don't get married is because is not advantageous tax wise is laughable. Rather easy to prove. Are you married? If so, did taxes ever enter your mind when you did get married? If you're not married is it because you found the love of your life but decided it wasn't worth it because of taxes?

I can tell you that according to social science evidence, marriage protects children from bad outcomes. I benefitted from that, and I believe if you are going to raise a child, marriage is the best proven way to do that with good results. Government policy should always use evidence and facts, not hopes or superstitions, or myths, when they are designing systems that involve children.

aeromoe

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:37 am

Confuscius wrote:
"Uber eats driver killed by carjackers in DC"

Why would Uber eat one of its own drivers. It's bad enough he was killed by carjackers.

Yeah, upthread someone recommended a moderator revise the title so it wasn't confusing or be interpreted ridiculously. Apparently it hasn't been revised.

Recommended: Carjackers kill Uber Eats driver in DC
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

Aaron747

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 am

LCDFlight wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

I can tell you that according to social science evidence, marriage protects children from bad outcomes. I benefitted from that, and I believe if you are going to raise a child, marriage is the best proven way to do that with good results. Government policy should always use evidence and facts, not hopes or superstitions, or myths, when they are designing systems that involve children.

You are correct, but there is pancultural evidence around the world that women often end up with more children than they can afford and absent men in conditions of poverty. You have to address the poverty before the other symptoms can resolve, as I’ve been saying.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LOT767301ER

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:55 am

LMP737 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
I think prisons have gotten a bad name. Prison is an ideal place for violent young men and women, until they no longer have violent urges, or until the end of their natural lives. Why can’t the community agree on zero tolerance for violent crimes? We can afford to incarcerate all violent adults and youths.

Heard a cop say this a number of years ago. It was referring to the drug problem but it applies in general. He said this country cannot arrest it's way out of it's problems. All we end up doing is filling up our prisons.

And no, I'm not saying they shouldn't be arrested.

You can if you started convicting with mandatory death penalty sentence that must be carried out within 6 months for these sorts of crimes. I am all for it.

Pellegrine

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
One thing that annoys me is when people use one instance of crime in my city to bolster their political views. I've seen a lot of this on Twitter. Like, all that stuff about cutting taxes, giving a marriage tax credit (LOL), removing the minimum wage (???), and more aggressive policing are bunk. That does not work in a city.

There's a reason cities are more Democratic.

And the bad neighborhoods are mostly in SE across the Anacostia River (Ward 7 & 8), not SW (although there's a little piece of that in the most southern part of the city in Ward 8 that's iffy).

Interesting post. So none of the economical solutions work, nor policing. What would work in the city then? How would citizens ( you said you lived there?) go around living in a city that basically can't guarantee minimal safety? how long till most of the citizens flee the city to the suburbs?

If anyone like the Pakistani Immigrant who was only working to provide for his family and got killed in the process, just happens to get killed for simply working? last week we were all outraged how some people just shopping in a supermarket get killed and how horrible this was and how we need to change our gun laws. Here you have teenagers who basically had no drivers-license, and no car, yet they managed to kill someone, and your solution is less policing? less enforcement of the law?

Lets see, what solution do you have? to raise the minimum wage of $15 in DC as it is today? or to increase welfare subsidies? spend more money on the non-existent public education on top of the 27 to 29K per student per year https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dc-publi ... _b_1638663? More gun laws?

Yeah I know the solution is to make DC a State. It will certainly solve all of these problems.

Tell us, how can you solve these problems if not by changing the policies that already have failed the citizens of these large cities. Yes there is a reason they are Democrat controlled, perhaps that's the government they deserve? who knows. I rather believe they deserve better. My opinion.

Lmao, DC has homes valued at anything from ~$200k-$15+million. I don't live anywhere near where this crime took place, nor where the impoverished/underprivileged neighborhoods are. I live near where the Obamas, Bezos, and formerly the Kushners live.

The solution *might be* giving underprivileged people access to more and better educational and professional opportunities. DC Public Schools used to be crap; I don't know about now. I'm for reforming a lot of things, education from Pre K-Bachelors being one. A lot of bad kids come from bad/abusive/neglectful families. I don't know all of the solutions...I just know cutting taxes and increasing policing isn't one.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

dfwjim1

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:23 am

Was the gentleman who was killed doing an UberEats run at the time of the carjacking?

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:22 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Was the gentleman who was killed doing an UberEats run at the time of the carjacking?

I believe he was in the middle of a delivery yes.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

FGITD

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:03 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

I believe he was in the middle of a delivery yes.

Not that there’s any blame that can be put on the people ordering, but my goodness would I feel absolutely horrific if me being lazy and ordering food ended with my delivery driver being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

LMP737

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:00 pm

LOT767301ER wrote:

You can if you started convicting with mandatory death penalty sentence that must be carried out within 6 months for these sorts of crimes. I am all for it.

Yes, because no one has ever been rail roaded by the justice system in this country.

CarlosSi

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:00 pm

LMP737 wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:

Yes, because no one has ever been rail roaded by the justice system in this country.

Yeah as much as I’d theoretically support a faster death for crimes to quiet the “death is more expensive than life” crowd, think of all the people whose sentences get commuted. You’d definitely be killing a lot of innocents.

Maybe reserve it for those crimes where there’s “definite” evidence and not just some thumbprint or piece of trash someone /might/ have dropped at the crime scene? I guess even then definite is subjective and the quality of a video can also be subjective.

Scandinavian countries largely have collective bargaining. Better than a minimum wage, and they have better results. I guess you can say the minimum wage is a “one size fits all” solution, which typically isn’t something I’m for. It’s definitely a check on keeping people from taking advantage of workers when there’s not much collective bargaining (there’s virtually none in the US).

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:27 pm

LMP737 wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:

With the appeal process automatically put in effect for death penalty convictions an Innocent person being to death these days will never happen.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

bennett123

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:41 pm

Thinking of things which have happened in the UK, I wouldn't want to put money on that idea.

NWAESC

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
. Uber needs to put the safety of its employees (contractors) in front of the line, otherwise, its brand will take a hit.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, no one cares about this sort of thing. Sure, they'll say it was bad, maybe put a "sad" emoji on a thread discussing it, but they'll go right back to using the app without batting an eye. Look at Prop 22 in California, and how it turned out.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

alfa164

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:

With the appeal process automatically put in effect for death penalty convictions an Innocent person being to death these days will never happen.

You have obviously never heard of Cameron Todd Willingham...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

DIRECTFLT

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:34 am

At first glance, I thought this thread was about cannibalism. Sorry.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

LMP737

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

The very fact that innocent people end up on death row and are eventually released proves my previous statement.