Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Uber eats driver killed by carjackers in DC

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:20 am

Probably one of the most intense videos I have ever seen. One of the carjackers yells push him after they used a stun gun on him and he clung to the car. Then they drive off with him clinging to the car. He is thrown as they wreck. The disregard for human life is appalling. I hope the courts don't cave because they are minors. What I don't get is there are a bunch of bystanders right there as well. Did they think they would get away? I won't post the vid because it's graphic but you can find it easily.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/us/washi ... index.html
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Aaron747

Re: Uber eats driver killed by carjackers in DC

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:03 am

Just observationally, some of the worst violent crimes the last couple years caught on camera have been by teenagers.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

B777LRF

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:54 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Just observationally, some of the worst violent crimes the last couple years caught on camera have been by teenagers.

Well, yes, if one choses to disregard ISIS members beheading people with dull knives or setting them on fire after locking them in a cage.
Signature. You just read one.

Pellegrine

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:30 am

That was terrible. I wish he let go of the stupid car. Maybe he couldn't...
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

Pellegrine

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:54 am

I saw one video where the man recording was 2 feet from the car. It's kind of lame he didn't intervene. Those were two little girls. Video is important evidence, but some people today would watch a car run over a newborn and post it online rather than getting the baby out of the street. :boggled:
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

johns624

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
I've seen a Youtube video of police chasing a stolen car in Ohio. They hit a bystander and killed him during the pursuit. When the police apprehended them, the one perp started pleading "I'm just a kid" to which the officer replied "you just killed someone". No regard for life.
PS You might want to have a Mod capitalize the E in "eats" in the title. It reads kind of weird the way that it is.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
That was terrible. I wish he let go of the stupid car. Maybe he couldn't...

Pellegrine wrote:
I saw one video where the man recording was 2 feet from the car. It's kind of lame he didn't intervene. Those were two little girls. Video is important evidence, but some people today would watch a car run over a newborn and post it online rather than getting the baby out of the street. :boggled:

It's hard to say, maybe it's instinct to not let them take your vehicle. As for bystanders intervening it's another tough one. Teenagers or adults they could be carrying a gun, I mean to listen to her tell her friend to push him push him like he was a piece of garbage was incredible. I just hope the courts try them as adults and not cave because if they get back on the street they would do it again.

LCDFlight

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:19 pm

I think prisons have gotten a bad name. Prison is an ideal place for violent young men and women, until they no longer have violent urges, or until the end of their natural lives. Why can’t the community agree on zero tolerance for violent crimes? We can afford to incarcerate all violent adults and youths.

T18

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:36 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
I think prisons have gotten a bad name. Prison is an ideal place for violent young men and women, until they no longer have violent urges, or until the end of their natural lives. Why can’t the community agree on zero tolerance for violent crimes? We can afford to incarcerate all violent adults and youths.

eh, maybe better spent money to try and prevent our youths becoming violent criminals. Harder work for sure and not a simple as you did X so now you spend Y in Sing Sing for sure but imo a better way to address the problem is at the cause not after the effect.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Aaron747

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:08 pm

T18 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

eh, maybe better spent money to try and prevent our youths becoming violent criminals. Harder work for sure and not a simple as you did X so now you spend Y in Sing Sing for sure but imo a better way to address the problem is at the cause not after the effect.

Precisely, ultimately an expensive game of whack a mole that guarantees victims in perpetuity. It’s like limiting yourself to stents and bypasses as the only means of dealing with heart disease.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LCDFlight

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 pm

T18 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

And the way to prevent violence is... admitting that the public policies in SW Washington DC or South Side Chicago are totally unsuccessful and must end? What did you have in mind? Personally I think tax cuts and a clear, direct financial advantage to marriage are promising solutions. Rewarding having a bunch of children in poverty, without fathers, is likely a policy that needs to end. But let me guess... you totally disagree, right..

Aaron747

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:04 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
T18 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

And the way to prevent violence is... admitting that the public policies in SW Washington DC or South Side Chicago are totally unsuccessful and must end? What did you have in mind? Personally I think tax cuts and a clear, direct financial advantage to marriage are promising solutions. Rewarding having a bunch of children in poverty, without fathers, is likely a policy that needs to end. But let me guess... you totally disagree, right..

Reducing children in poverty is still treating symptoms not causes. Poverty itself is the issue - and why does it stay malignant in a given area? The big three: lack of community investment (community programs are largely funded by NPOs), lack of job opportunities (dealing drugs offers far better earning potential), and psychology. The latter has to be addressed on several fronts. Its well documented breaking the poverty cycle normally takes at least several years of absolutely nothing going wrong - not many people have the good luck to avoid all financial setbacks for that length of time. Its well documented students and teachers underperform in schools that look like shit and are poorly resourced. Its well documented few young people can handle the stress of living in a high poverty/crime area and still excel academically.

Political solutions to the above fail because they promise results before the next election, apply piecemeal measures, fail, rinse repeat. That goes for either party. Beating systemic urban poverty requires leveling with the public that it takes at least one generation of sustained investment and effort to turn things around.

phatfarmlines

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:39 pm

This occurred in Navy Yard near the baseball stadium, an area that is typically teeming with military police especially after the 2013 mass shooting that took place a few blocks away. Not a lot of brain cells processed by these two (mentally underdeveloped) girls, and it looks like they are being tried as adults. One of the girls can be heard attempting to walk back to the vehicle, passing by the deceased, to retrieve her phone only to get pulled away by the serviceman :mad: .

Uber does not cover instances where vehicles are stolen or if someone life is put in danger like a carjacking. That needs to change. Uber needs to put the safety of its employees (contractors) in front of the line, otherwise its brand will take a hit.

AirWorthy99

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:44 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
T18 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Not only tax cuts, tax incentives for married couples, school choice, removing the minimum wage, work requirements for recepients of welfare, agressive policing among other things. But hey, those places have been governed by the same political party for generations, so its imppossible they react to their failed policies.
Last edited by AirWorthy99 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Aaron747

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:44 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
This occurred in Navy Yard near the baseball stadium, an area that is typically teeming with military police especially after the 2013 mass shooting that took place a few blocks away. Not a lot of brain cells processed by these two (mentally underdeveloped) girls, and it looks like they are being tried as adults. One of the girls can be heard attempting to walk back to the vehicle, passing by the deceased, to retrieve her phone only to get pulled away by the serviceman :mad: .

Uber does not cover instances where vehicles are stolen or if someone life is put in danger like a carjacking. That needs to change. Uber needs to put the safety of its employees (contractors) in front of the line, otherwise its brand will take a hit.

They like it this way - no liability if something happens to drivers, or if drivers attack women...pretty shit values if you ask me.

Aaron747

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
T18 wrote:

Not only tax cuts, tax incentives for married couples, school choice, removing the minimum wage, agressive policing among other things. But hey, those places have been governed by the same political party for generations, so its imppossible they react to their failed policies.

As stated in my post, again those are just piecemeal measures. To really have an impact they must go beyond politics - a sustained generation-long effort is required at least. There’s no panacea for urban issues.

AirWorthy99

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:22 am

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Not only tax cuts, tax incentives for married couples, school choice, removing the minimum wage, agressive policing among other things. But hey, those places have been governed by the same political party for generations, so its imppossible they react to their failed policies.

As stated in my post, again those are just piecemeal measures. To really have an impact they must go beyond politics - a sustained generation-long effort is required at least. There’s no panacea for urban issues.

Yes, well, according to Thomas Sowel, back in the 30's, 40's, 50's and early 60's these problems were not as profound as they are today. Back then there was a lot of poverty, not to mention the Civil Rights Act wasn't even law. There were issues back then, he mentions many times that for him, being a Black man it was pretty simple to find work, despite being unskilled and poor and almost no education, and most of his peers had a Dad at home.
You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization -- including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain -- without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large.

Non-judgmental subsidies of counterproductive lifestyles are treating people as if they were livestock, to be fed and tended by others in a welfare state -- and yet expecting them to develop as human beings have developed when facing the challenges of life themselves.

One key fact that keeps getting ignored is that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits every year since 1994. Behavior matters and facts matter, more than the prevailing social visions or political empires built on those visions

https://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2015/0 ... omeon.html

This man came from poverty to become one great intellectual. (When racism was a very huge problem in this country)
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

LMP737

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:36 am

LCDFlight wrote:

Heard a cop say this a number of years ago. It was referring to the drug problem but it applies in general. He said this country cannot arrest it's way out of it's problems. All we end up doing is filling up our prisons.

And no, I'm not saying they shouldn't be arrested.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:37 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Yes, well, according to Thomas Sowel, back in the 30's, 40's, 50's and early 60's these problems were not as profound as they are today. Back then there was a lot of poverty, not to mention the Civil Rights Act wasn't even law. There were issues back then, he mentions many times that for him, being a Black man it was pretty simple to find work, despite being unskilled and poor and almost no education, and most of his peers had a Dad at home.
You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization -- including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain -- without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large.

Non-judgmental subsidies of counterproductive lifestyles are treating people as if they were livestock, to be fed and tended by others in a welfare state -- and yet expecting them to develop as human beings have developed when facing the challenges of life themselves.

One key fact that keeps getting ignored is that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits every year since 1994. Behavior matters and facts matter, more than the prevailing social visions or political empires built on those visions

https://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2015/0 ... omeon.html

This man came from poverty to become one great intellectual. (When racism was a very huge problem in this country)

Conflating things again. 44 made a lot of hay about the lack of father role models and how that leads to negative outcomes - but he was also off base because that’s a symptom of poverty. Again you can’t treat heart disease only via stents and surgery - the causes must be addressed. Women have children they can’t afford in poverty around the world because the psychology of people under stress is well understood. Men often turn to illegal means of income in the same circumstances.

One guy getting out and becoming an academic is a big deal because it’s rare. We celebrate such stories because defeating adversity is *not* the norm in our inner cities. If it were normal, it would never appear in aspirational stories.

Aesma

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:46 am

LCDFlight wrote:

You already have far more people in jail than other western countries, doesn't seem to be working does it ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

LCDFlight

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:53 am

Aaron 747, your tagline is from a good song...

Aaron747

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:48 am

LCDFlight wrote:
Aaron 747, your tagline is from a good song...

It certainly is...though the subject matter isn’t exactly uplifting. :yes:

extender

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 am

Young people don't know the value of life, they treat it like crap. This is why larger tragedies can happen.

emperortk

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:50 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
T18 wrote:

Not only tax cuts, tax incentives for married couples, school choice, removing the minimum wage, work requirements for recepients of welfare, agressive policing among other things. But hey, those places have been governed by the same political party for generations, so its imppossible they react to their failed policies.

Yes, all they needed was tax cuts. That definitely would have prevented this. :sarcastic:

If tax cuts reduce violent crime, why are there so many countries with far higher tax rates than the US but much lower rates of violent crime?

LCDFlight

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:30 pm

emperortk wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Yes, all they needed was tax cuts. That definitely would have prevented this. :sarcastic:

If tax cuts reduce violent crime, why are there so many countries with far higher tax rates than the US but much lower rates of violent crime?

Haha I am sure it sounds like greek. That's because it is so opposite of the policy that created this violent mess. It starts with their father and mother having a good job, and keeping the children on track daily. Actually it starts before that - their father and mother planning the pregnancy and the childhood in a way that is going to turn out well. Once you give up on all that, honestly I don't know of ways to fix violent criminals. It's too late for them.

Gew

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Sigh, one wonders how the heck our beautiful planet developed in this frightening way!

readytotaxi

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Gew wrote:
Sigh, one wonders how the heck our beautiful planet developed in this frightening way!

Possibly the "Nature of the Beast"?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:39 pm

extender wrote:
Young people don't know the value of life, they treat it like crap. This is why larger tragedies can happen.

They learn this, which is more scary.

bennett123

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:54 pm

Not sure how removal of the minimum wage will help.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:10 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Pretty simple—a minimum wage guarantees low productive people don’t get jobs; jobs that train work ethic, skills and socialization.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:19 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

Look how full your prisons are today, imagine the number of prisons America would need with a zero tolerance policy.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:21 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Pretty simple—a minimum wage guarantees low productive people don’t get jobs; jobs that train work ethic, skills and socialization.

Norway doesn’t have a minimum wage. Nobody here would work for the US minimum wage.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:29 pm

Yes, Norway’s economy is exactly like America’s; why did I think otherwise?

seb146

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

People have to work multiple low wage jobs just to scrape by. Raising the minimum wage will allow people to work less and spend more time at home teaching their children morals.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm

Not if they can’t find job where their low marginal product doesn’t justify the new minimum wage. Employers aren’t welfare programs, the employees must produce something of greater value than the paid wage.

LabQuest

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Norway doesn’t have a minimum wage. Nobody here would work for the US minimum wage.

Exporting all those fossil fuels does wonders for an economy.

Pellegrine

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 am

One thing that annoys me is when people use one instance of crime in my city to bolster their political views. I've seen a lot of this on Twitter. Like, all that stuff about cutting taxes, giving a marriage tax credit (LOL), removing the minimum wage (???), and more aggressive policing are bunk. That does not work in a city.

There's a reason cities are more Democratic.

And the bad neighborhoods are mostly in SE across the Anacostia River (Ward 7 & 8), not SW (although there's a little piece of that in the most southern part of the city in Ward 8 that's iffy).

Kent350787

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:20 am

LabQuest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

As does using income to establish a sovereign wealth fund for the good of the nation if you're going to enter into that discussion.

Australia does have a minimum wage, which is twice that of the current US federal minimum. Unfortunately fossil fuel profits have largely gone to individuals and multinationals.

But back to the US, the issue of crime does seem to be fed by a deeply ingrained part of the psyche. With massive imprisonment rates (double that of Brazil and four times that of my home country)at the same time as massive gun crime and death, the US is clearly doing something wrong.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

LabQuest

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 am

Kent350787 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

As does using income to establish a sovereign wealth fund for the good of the nation if you're going to enter into that discussion.

Australia does have a minimum wage, which is twice that of the current US federal minimum. Unfortunately fossil fuel profits have largely gone to individuals and multinationals.

But back to the US, the issue of crime does seem to be fed by a deeply ingrained part of the psyche. With massive imprisonment rates (double that of Brazil and four times that of my home country)at the same time as massive gun crime and death, the US is clearly doing something wrong.

Correct on all counts.

AirWorthy99

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:34 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
One thing that annoys me is when people use one instance of crime in my city to bolster their political views. I've seen a lot of this on Twitter. Like, all that stuff about cutting taxes, giving a marriage tax credit (LOL), removing the minimum wage (???), and more aggressive policing are bunk. That does not work in a city.

And the bad neighborhoods are mostly in SE across the Anacostia River (Ward 7 & 8), not SW (although there's a little piece of that in the most southern part of the city in Ward 8 that's iffy).

Interesting post. So none of the economical solutions work, nor policing. What would work in the city then? How would citizens ( you said you lived there?) go around living in a city that basically can't guarantee minimal safety? how long till most of the citizens flee the city to the suburbs?

If anyone like the Pakistani Immigrant who was only working to provide for his family and got killed in the process, just happens to get killed for simply working? last week we were all outraged how some people just shopping in a supermarket get killed and how horrible this was and how we need to change our gun laws. Here you have teenagers who basically had no drivers-license, and no car, yet they managed to kill someone, and your solution is less policing? less enforcement of the law?

Lets see, what solution do you have? to raise the minimum wage of $15 in DC as it is today? or to increase welfare subsidies? spend more money on the non-existent public education on top of the 27 to 29K per student per year https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dc-publi ... _b_1638663? More gun laws?

Yeah I know the solution is to make DC a State. It will certainly solve all of these problems.

Tell us, how can you solve these problems if not by changing the policies that already have failed the citizens of these large cities. Yes there is a reason they are Democrat controlled, perhaps that's the government they deserve? who knows. I rather believe they deserve better. My opinion.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:18 pm

Minimum wage is meaningless to teenagers who have no work skills or lack education courtesy the teachers’ unions.

Aaron747

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:25 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Interesting post. So none of the economical solutions work, nor policing. What would work in the city then? How would citizens ( you said you lived there?) go around living in a city that basically can't guarantee minimal safety? how long till most of the citizens flee the city to the suburbs?

If anyone like the Pakistani Immigrant who was only working to provide for his family and got killed in the process, just happens to get killed for simply working? last week we were all outraged how some people just shopping in a supermarket get killed and how horrible this was and how we need to change our gun laws. Here you have teenagers who basically had no drivers-license, and no car, yet they managed to kill someone, and your solution is less policing? less enforcement of the law?

Lets see, what solution do you have? to raise the minimum wage of $15 in DC as it is today? or to increase welfare subsidies? spend more money on the non-existent public education on top of the 27 to 29K per student per year https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dc-publi ... _b_1638663? More gun laws?

Yeah I know the solution is to make DC a State. It will certainly solve all of these problems.

Tell us, how can you solve these problems if not by changing the policies that already have failed the citizens of these large cities. Yes there is a reason they are Democrat controlled, perhaps that's the government they deserve? who knows. I rather believe they deserve better. My opinion.

This is so all over the place - do you live in a
major city or have you been in the burbs all your life?

You make it sound like a city like DC is unlivable - if that were the case, rents wouldn’t be top 10 in the nation with home values to boot. Nor would the population be booming. Have a look:

1980 - 638,000
1990 - 606,000
2000 - 572,000
2010 - 601,000
2019 - 705,000

https://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html

DC is not a place like STL that has seen permanent suburban flight since 1960 - it has dealt with some issues, revitalized, and gentrified many neighborhoods. Cities like DC that came back from 70s and 80s decline are similar in one regard: they get a lot of attention from conservatives for crime that occurs in small areas, usually two or three neighborhoods at most. In SF’s case, we grew up hearing about how ‘dangerous’ the city was, but when I moved there for college, I discovered there were only three neighborhoods to avoid. To this day a lot of the crime there is committed by young people who drive in from elsewhere and don’t even live there.

A little nuance in the discussion would be helpful, yeah?

AirWorthy99

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

You make it sound like a city like DC is unlivable - if that were the case, rents wouldn’t be top 10 in the nation with home values to boot. Nor would the population be booming. Have a look:

1980 - 638,000
1990 - 606,000
2000 - 572,000
2010 - 601,000
2019 - 705,000

DC is not a place like STL that has seen permanent suburban flight since 1960 - it has dealt with some issues, revitalized, and gentrified many neighborhoods. Cities like DC that came back from 70s and 80s decline are similar in one regard: they get a lot of attention from conservatives for crime that occurs in small areas, usually two or three neighborhoods at most. In SF’s case, we grew up hearing about how ‘dangerous’ the city was, but when I moved there for college, I discovered there were only three neighborhoods to avoid. To this day a lot of the crime there is committed by young people who drive in from elsewhere and don’t even live there.

Well, OK, let me provide you proof of living desirability in your neck of the woods SFO

https://www.sfchronicle.com/realestate/ ... 848320.php

for DC:

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2021/ ... ve-to-ask/

Chicago:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/real-est ... story.html

Most major cities the rents are dropping. Why? many reasons, among them the pandemic, and also these cities have seen rise in violent crime since last year as a consequence of BLM and George Floyd.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-2020-why

OK so what does this have to do with this innocent hard working man being killed in DC?

The local governments have pulled back in enforcing the law. They are doing this as a result of what happened last year. Its happening, and we see it on the news daily. The statistics don't lie, violent crime in these cities have spiked.

extender

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 pm

What sucks is people will not remember Mohammad Anwar's name. If he would have had a weapon and killed one or both of the punks, we would keep hearing their names before sporting events and BLM rallies.

Aaron747

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

1980 - 638,000
1990 - 606,000
2000 - 572,000
2010 - 601,000
2019 - 705,000

Well, OK, let me provide you proof of living desirability in your neck of the woods SFO

https://www.sfchronicle.com/realestate/ ... 848320.php

for DC:

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2021/ ... ve-to-ask/

Chicago:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/real-est ... story.html

Most major cities the rents are dropping. Why? many reasons, among them the pandemic, and also these cities have seen rise in violent crime since last year as a consequence of BLM and George Floyd.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-2020-why

OK so what does this have to do with this innocent hard working man being killed in DC?

The local governments have pulled back in enforcing the law. They are doing this as a result of what happened last year. Its happening, and we see it on the news daily. The statistics don't lie, violent crime in these cities have spiked.

Why is it so hard to stick to facts without cherry picking? You're talking about rents - down because people who can work remotely have moved out of the city to save money - while ignoring home prices, which are still soaring.

https://www.kron4.com/news/real-estate/ ... ices-soar/

https://www.bayareamarketreports.com/tr ... rends-news

You asked the poster from DC what would stop teenage crime - that's a complex question. You then blame the situation on failed big city policies, when that's clearly only one slice of the pie. Two or three bad neighborhoods does NOT mean cities are failing. That's what I was pointing out to you. The population is booming in DC, not declining.

As I asked, do you actually live in a major city, or just criticize from the suburbs?

AirWorthy99

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

As I asked, do you actually live in a major city, or just criticize from the suburbs?

I was born and raised in the inner city. Have you heard of Little Havana? Try that in the 80's and early 90's.

Thankfully for me, my parents stick together and sent me to private school. Went to college, and happily living in the suburbs.

I know from personal experience what's in it to live there. My peers who attended public school most of them never finished school, ended up in the street, and many times prison or dead.

If we want to dig deeper, and concentrate the root of these issues, if we wish to not speak about the social problems that lead to this, lets talk about government and a persons first interaction with government. Schools. Yes, they have failed miserably, despite spending billions and trillions, Public schools are horrible. You can blame that in the public sector unions that controls them, which fund the politicians who later are supposed to be their bosses.

Had those teenagers who killed the Pakistani immigrant been in a good school, maybe private or charter? probably that wouldn't happened. But those local politicians bought by the money of those unions refuse to allow school choice. Unfortunate.

Aaron747

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I was born and raised in the inner city. Have you heard of Little Havana? Try that in the 80's and early 90's.

Thankfully for me, my parents stick together and sent me to private school. Went to college, and happily living in the suburbs.

I know from personal experience what's in it to live there. My peers who attended public school most of them never finished school, ended up in the street, and many times prison or dead.

If we want to dig deeper, and concentrate the root of these issues, if we wish to not speak about the social problems that lead to this, lets talk about government and a persons first interaction with government. Schools. Yes, they have failed miserably, despite spending billions and trillions, Public schools are horrible. You can blame that in the public sector unions that controls them, which fund the politicians who later are supposed to be their bosses.

Had those teenagers who killed the Pakistani immigrant been in a good school, maybe private or charter? probably that wouldn't happened. But those local politicians bought by the money of those unions refuse to allow school choice. Unfortunate.

Aha, we’re getting warmer now. I have mentioned the issues with schools how many times in these topics? When kids don’t have a good home environment, school is all they’ve got. If school sucks too, forget it.

It’s not just the teachers’ unions - it’s also underresourced management and decades of funding neglect and/or deferred maintenance. Ask any young person what it feels like when they see nice schools on TV and theirs has moldy walls, heat/AC that don’t work, etc. They get the message pretty quick that they don’t matter and rich areas with more tax revenue do. And then even if they do want to study, if they’re really unlucky, their school has lost accreditation. It’s a multilayered issue requiring multipart solutions.

After that, selling drugs and the ravages of what that brings a neighborhood are never far behind.

Aaron747

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:54 pm

extender wrote:
What sucks is people will not remember Mohammad Anwar's name. If he would have had a weapon and killed one or both of the punks, we would keep hearing their names before sporting events and BLM rallies.

That’s just crazy, if they were taken out in the middle of a carjacking hardly anyone would care. There were no cries of BLM in SF a couple weeks ago when the Chinese grandma fought off her attacker.

johns624

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 pm

Although they aren't innocent in the debate, I also don't like the teachers being solely blamed for children not learning. They can teach all they want but if the parent(s) don't make sure that they study and do their homework, it doesn't do any good. How many stories have you read about parents assaulting teachers because their "little one" didn't get a good grade?

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:37 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Minimum wage is meaningless to teenagers who have no work skills or lack education courtesy the teachers’ unions.

Or teenagers who see and are taught that dealing drugs and or stealing pays better.