Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
aerosreenivas
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:58 pm

I'm 'Unable To Watch' the defendant's 'Closing Arguments' because they will have a clever way of 'Brain Washing' the Jurors and creating a 'Reasonable Doubt' on their mind to make sure that the verdict becomes 'Derek Chauvin Not Guilty'.

That would be again a 'Dark Day' in 'American Judiciary System'.

In any 'Democracies Of The World', there cannot be 'Different Judicial System' for 'People Based On Color, Religion And Political View'.
 
extender
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:25 pm

aerosreenivas wrote:
I'm 'Unable To Watch' the defendant's 'Closing Arguments' because they will have a clever way of 'Brain Washing' the Jurors and creating a 'Reasonable Doubt' on their mind to make sure that the verdict becomes 'Derek Chauvin Not Guilty'.

That would be again a 'Dark Day' in 'American Judiciary System'.

In any 'Democracies Of The World', there cannot be 'Different Judicial System' for 'People Based On Color, Religion And Political View'.


If the defense did its job, it created reasonable doubt. If the jurors follow the charge, they vote based on what they gathered, not that riots will continue. If they vote their conscience, justice was done.

You're saying black people don't get a fair shake?
 
bpatus297
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:49 pm

extender wrote:
aerosreenivas wrote:
I'm 'Unable To Watch' the defendant's 'Closing Arguments' because they will have a clever way of 'Brain Washing' the Jurors and creating a 'Reasonable Doubt' on their mind to make sure that the verdict becomes 'Derek Chauvin Not Guilty'.

That would be again a 'Dark Day' in 'American Judiciary System'.

In any 'Democracies Of The World', there cannot be 'Different Judicial System' for 'People Based On Color, Religion And Political View'.


If the defense did its job, it created reasonable doubt. If the jurors follow the charge, they vote based on what they gathered, not that riots will continue. If they vote their conscience, justice was done.

You're saying black people don't get a fair shake?


Its not about black and white in the US justice system, its about he haves and have nots. Poor people get convicted, rich people get off.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22390
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Please post on topic.

Discuss the topic, not other users. This is your warning.
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.
 
N583JB
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:31 pm

Jury is now deliberating. Going to be a tense day, week, two weeks, etc.
 
Hornberger
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:57 pm

casinterest wrote:
The closing arguments are underway.
The Prosecution is making their compelling arguments.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/derek- ... -04-19-21/

"Remember during opening statement, counsel said that the defendant followed the rules and followed his training. Did you hear evidence of that? Did you hear evidence of that from the stand? Or did you hear something quite different? The chief of police testified, he violated their use of force policy. He violated the deescalation policy. He violated the duty to render emergency aid. You heard the trainer... 'We don't train this. This is not who we are.' No. That representation was simply wrong. That's just a story. What the defendant did was not policing. What the defendant did was an assault," Schleicher argued.


This is what it comes down to. The question is whether the jury will choose the manslaughter or Murder charges. I still think the prosecution did not totally prove 2nd degree murder, but i think 3rd degree murder is on the table.

econd-degree unintentional murder

Prosecutors must prove Chauvin caused George Floyd's death, while committing an underlying felony.
There is need to prove intent to kill, just intent to act.
If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison.
Third-degree murder

Prosecutors must prove Chauvin committed a reckless act that is "eminently dangerous" to others with "depraved mind."
If convicted, he could face up to 25 years in prison.
Second-degree Manslaughter

Prosecutors must prove Chauvin was "culpably negligent" and disregarded awareness of substantial risk of great bodily injury or death.
If, convicted he could face up to 10 years in prison.

I haven't followed the trial that closely, but I agree that conviction on 3rd degree murder would seem to be correct outcome.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14323
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:45 am

N583JB wrote:
Jury is now deliberating. Going to be a tense day, week, two weeks, etc.


This goes past Thursday we are in trouble. The media has whipped everyone in a frenzy. Longer this goes it would seem there is a holdout for one of the murder charges, Pressure could get to him or her and probably 3rd degree murder.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:55 am

NIKV69 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Jury is now deliberating. Going to be a tense day, week, two weeks, etc.


This goes past Thursday we are in trouble. The media has whipped everyone in a frenzy. Longer this goes it would seem there is a holdout for one of the murder charges, Pressure could get to him or her and probably 3rd degree murder.


The thing that makes things complicated is that there needs to be a unanimous verdict here.

Chauvin isn't guilty of 2nd degree murder. The only way he gets convicted of this charge is if the jury succumbs to BLM and the riots.

Chauvin could possibly be found guilty of 3rd degree murder but in my opinion there's not enough evidence to convict him of any murder charge. There's enough doubt in the real cause of death of George Floyd.

Chauvin should be found guilty of manslaughter. If this happens the defense did their job and it also means the jury didn't succumb to outside factors (ie Media, BLM, Democrats etc).
 
aerosreenivas
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:06 am

The Jurors are in a very 'Sticky Situation'. Which ever way the verdict may go, the people, politicians and the media are going to blame the Jurors for showing biased towards either side.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14323
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 am

bigGAplane wrote:
The thing that makes things complicated is that there needs to be a unanimous verdict here.

Chauvin isn't guilty of 2nd degree murder. The only way he gets convicted of this charge is if the jury succumbs to BLM and the riots.

Chauvin could possibly be found guilty of 3rd degree murder but in my opinion there's not enough evidence to convict him of any murder charge. There's enough doubt in the real cause of death of George Floyd.

Chauvin should be found guilty of manslaughter. If this happens the defense did their job and it also means the jury didn't succumb to outside factors (ie Media, BLM, Democrats etc).


Chauvin caused the death of Floyd. I mean it's not even close. I am not a lawyer or Judge but he acted negligently and with depraved indifference. So whatever that is he should be convicted quickly. If he had any brains he would have tried to get a deal because he is going to get more time in jail.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15709
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:18 am

The Defense made a motion for a mistrial on the grounds of prejudicial news and other media, that it has put the jury in a position that if failed to convict Chauvin, will mean riots. The Judge in the case noted comments of controversial, Black, Female US House Member Maxine Waters (D-CA, LA area), [who has suggested that if the jury not find Chauvan guilt, that 'protesters should stay on the streets' and 'get more confrontational] and other politicians suggesting a fear of riots and civil unrest that may affect the jury decision may be grounds for an appeal. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:37 am

ltbewr wrote:
The Defense made a motion for a mistrial on the grounds of prejudicial news and other media, that it has put the jury in a position that if failed to convict Chauvin, will mean riots. The Judge in the case noted comments of controversial, Black, Female US House Member Maxine Waters (D-CA, LA area), [who has suggested that if the jury not find Chauvan guilt, that 'protesters should stay on the streets' and 'get more confrontational] and other politicians suggesting a fear of riots and civil unrest that may affect the jury decision may be grounds for an appeal. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing



I don’t think that’ll happen.

Trump once tweeted that a murder suspect should be executed before even being brought to trial, didn’t seem to affect the case at all:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 824948001/
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:40 am

bigGAplane wrote:
Chauvin isn't guilty of 2nd degree murder. The only way he gets convicted of this charge is if the jury succumbs to BLM and the riots.


To be found guilty of Second Degree Murder you need to have committed a felony which caused the death of someone:

Prosecutors must prove Chauvin caused George Floyd's death, while committing an underlying felony.
There is no need to prove intent to kill, just intent to act
.

Prosecutors are saying Chauvin committed felony assault in his restraint of Floyd. Given the police chiefs said his actions was illegal then it does make a compelling case
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:45 am

N583JB wrote:
Jury is now deliberating. Going to be a tense day, week, two weeks, etc.


EXPLAINER: How will jury deliberations work in Chauvin case?

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvi ... e9107ba896

There was some confusion on another site about whether the jury was sequestered or not.

The jury is sequestered.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14399
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:41 am

Did Chauvin want to kill ? I'd say no.

Did he kill ? Yes.

Did he know he was killing ? I mean, it wasn't a fast moving situation like often. It lasted 8 long minutes. With the victim pleading for air. With by-passers pointing out he was dying. Claiming he didn't know is what the defense should do of course, but it's not very convincing.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
art
Posts: 4144
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:25 am

extender wrote:
If the defense did its job, it created reasonable doubt. If the jurors follow the charge, they vote based on what they gathered, not that riots will continue. If they vote their conscience, justice was done.


If the jurors find him guilty, you will support that.
If the jurors find him not guilty, you will support that.

Good to hear that somebody supports the judicial process, whatever view they may hold regarding the death of this human being.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:12 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Jury is now deliberating. Going to be a tense day, week, two weeks, etc.


EXPLAINER: How will jury deliberations work in Chauvin case?

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvi ... e9107ba896

There was some confusion on another site about whether the jury was sequestered or not.

The jury is sequestered.


The jury was told not to watch the news, but they were not sequestered until yesterday.

https://www.npr.org/sections/trial-over ... e-shooting
 
extender
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:30 pm

After the prosecutors and defense attorneys presented their closing arguments in the Derek Chauvin trial, the defense moved for a mistrial because of media coverage of the case and comments by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA). Judge Peter Cahill acknowledged that Waters might have given the defense an argument to use for an appeal, and scolded her for making “disrespectful” and “abhorrent” comments on the case, but did not feel that the issue rose to the level that would require a mistrial.

Link


And this is why some people need to keep their yaps shut. Whether it is Trump, or Biden or anybody else that is elected, just shut up. If it does become a bone that skewers a conviction, then what? Are they going to burn down Maxine's mansion?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:18 pm

extender wrote:
After the prosecutors and defense attorneys presented their closing arguments in the Derek Chauvin trial, the defense moved for a mistrial because of media coverage of the case and comments by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA). Judge Peter Cahill acknowledged that Waters might have given the defense an argument to use for an appeal, and scolded her for making “disrespectful” and “abhorrent” comments on the case, but did not feel that the issue rose to the level that would require a mistrial.

Link


And this is why some people need to keep their yaps shut. Whether it is Trump, or Biden or anybody else that is elected, just shut up. If it does become a bone that skewers a conviction, then what? Are they going to burn down Maxine's mansion?


Well yes and no. Waters should use less emotional tone, but she was there in LA for the Rodney King cops’ acquittal and I wasn’t, so that’s easier said than done. State courts are not a coequal branch with Congress, and members of Congress retain their free speech rights. Also the judge should remember his lane is adjudication, not opining on who is making ‘respectful’ comments and who isn’t. If he doesn’t like an outside party’s comments personally, it’s more appropriate for him to respond to her via letter.

Some comments from a conservative who’s not buying the outrage:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny- ... ssion=true
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
extender
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:26 pm

The only dog I have in this hunt is for justice.

Funny how members of Congress have a right to free speech in your eyes, but not the chief executive.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:31 pm

extender wrote:
The only dog I have in this hunt is for justice.

Funny how members of Congress have a right to free speech in your eyes, but not the chief executive.


When did I ever say POTUS doesn’t have a right to free speech?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:49 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
extender wrote:
After the prosecutors and defense attorneys presented their closing arguments in the Derek Chauvin trial, the defense moved for a mistrial because of media coverage of the case and comments by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA). Judge Peter Cahill acknowledged that Waters might have given the defense an argument to use for an appeal, and scolded her for making “disrespectful” and “abhorrent” comments on the case, but did not feel that the issue rose to the level that would require a mistrial.

Link


And this is why some people need to keep their yaps shut. Whether it is Trump, or Biden or anybody else that is elected, just shut up. If it does become a bone that skewers a conviction, then what? Are they going to burn down Maxine's mansion?


Well yes and no. Waters should use less emotional tone, but she was there in LA for the Rodney King cops’ acquittal and I wasn’t, so that’s easier said than done. State courts are not a coequal branch with Congress, and members of Congress retain their free speech rights. Also the judge should remember his lane is adjudication, not opining on who is making ‘respectful’ comments and who isn’t. If he doesn’t like an outside party’s comments personally, it’s more appropriate for him to respond to her via letter.

Some comments from a conservative who’s not buying the outrage:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny- ... ssion=true


Why would Waters use a less emotional tone? That's literally all the left has to offer. Make things overly emotional and throw out any common sense and due process. This is what defines her electorate. She showed up to get people riled up again and keep her electorate engaged so they can keep voting for her, her party, and their socialist agenda.

Seems to be working pretty good...
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:54 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
extender wrote:

And this is why some people need to keep their yaps shut. Whether it is Trump, or Biden or anybody else that is elected, just shut up. If it does become a bone that skewers a conviction, then what? Are they going to burn down Maxine's mansion?


Well yes and no. Waters should use less emotional tone, but she was there in LA for the Rodney King cops’ acquittal and I wasn’t, so that’s easier said than done. State courts are not a coequal branch with Congress, and members of Congress retain their free speech rights. Also the judge should remember his lane is adjudication, not opining on who is making ‘respectful’ comments and who isn’t. If he doesn’t like an outside party’s comments personally, it’s more appropriate for him to respond to her via letter.

Some comments from a conservative who’s not buying the outrage:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny- ... ssion=true


Why would Waters use a less emotional tone? That's literally all the left has to offer. Make things overly emotional and throw out any common sense and due process. This is what defines her electorate. She showed up to get people riled up again and keep her electorate engaged so they can keep voting for her, her party, and their socialist agenda.

Seems to be working pretty good...


From where I sit, both sides use too much hyperemotionalism instead of logic. Your take is awfully one-sided. And also bereft of historical context - as I said, she likely remembers April ‘92 quite well.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14399
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm

The president nominates judges all over and representatives can't do anything about it. The president has also lots of power over the judicial branch and thus the prosecution. And of course the president is the president. So nothing like a representative.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
extender
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 pm

Aesma wrote:
The president nominates judges all over and representatives can't do anything about it. The president has also lots of power over the judicial branch and thus the prosecution. And of course the president is the president. So nothing like a representative.


You do realize that the judicial branch and the executive branch are independent of each other? Checks & Balances? The Senate can do something about judicial choices...
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm

extender wrote:
Aesma wrote:
The president nominates judges all over and representatives can't do anything about it. The president has also lots of power over the judicial branch and thus the prosecution. And of course the president is the president. So nothing like a representative.


You do realize that the judicial branch and the executive branch are independent of each other? Checks & Balances? The Senate can do something about judicial choices...


It would be appropriate for you to answer my question that responded to your comment on official speech.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Hornberger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
The closing arguments are underway.
The Prosecution is making their compelling arguments.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/derek- ... -04-19-21/

"Remember during opening statement, counsel said that the defendant followed the rules and followed his training. Did you hear evidence of that? Did you hear evidence of that from the stand? Or did you hear something quite different? The chief of police testified, he violated their use of force policy. He violated the deescalation policy. He violated the duty to render emergency aid. You heard the trainer... 'We don't train this. This is not who we are.' No. That representation was simply wrong. That's just a story. What the defendant did was not policing. What the defendant did was an assault," Schleicher argued.


This is what it comes down to. The question is whether the jury will choose the manslaughter or Murder charges. I still think the prosecution did not totally prove 2nd degree murder, but i think 3rd degree murder is on the table.

econd-degree unintentional murder

Prosecutors must prove Chauvin caused George Floyd's death, while committing an underlying felony.
There is need to prove intent to kill, just intent to act.
If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison.
Third-degree murder

Prosecutors must prove Chauvin committed a reckless act that is "eminently dangerous" to others with "depraved mind."
If convicted, he could face up to 25 years in prison.
Second-degree Manslaughter

Prosecutors must prove Chauvin was "culpably negligent" and disregarded awareness of substantial risk of great bodily injury or death.
If, convicted he could face up to 10 years in prison.

I haven't followed the trial that closely, but I agree that conviction on 3rd degree murder would seem to be correct outcome.


I said it was on the table. I still think it is going to be more likely manslaughter. The Prosecution really focused on the Manslaughter charges
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
luckyone
Posts: 3961
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm

extender wrote:
The only dog I have in this hunt is for justice.

Funny how members of Congress have a right to free speech in your eyes, but not the chief executive.

This statement would ring true were it not for the fact that so few Republican members of Congress have taken Trump to task for his behavior. The very same loons want the standard they refused to apply to POTUS demand it be applied to Rep. Waters. IMHO, if significant violence was attributed to her comments, the standard should be equal for both.
 
Airontario
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm

CNN reporting a verdict has been reached. To be announced between 16:30-17:30 EDT

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/derek-chauvin-trial-04-20-21/h_a5484217a1909f615ac8655b42647cba
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:46 pm

3:45 and no verdict yet
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19927
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Guilty on all three counts.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Airontario
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Considering the deliberations lasted barely a day, it shouldn't be very surprising to anyone that the verdict would be returned as guilty.
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 pm

scbriml wrote:
Guilty on all three counts.


It's quite a shame because to anyone who doesn't have any preconceived opinion on the matter knows that justice has become mob rule and that outside factors played the biggest part in this verdict.

This case is prime for appeal.
 
Newark727
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Guilty on all three counts.


It's quite a shame because to anyone who doesn't have any preconceived opinion on the matter knows that justice has become mob rule and that outside factors played the biggest part in this verdict.

This case is prime for appeal.


You don't know what they were talking about in there, and until you do this is just motivated reasoning.
Last edited by Newark727 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:19 pm

Newark727 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Guilty on all three counts.


It's quite a shame because to anyone who doesn't have any preconceived opinion on the matter knows that justice has become mob rule and that outside factors played the biggest part in this verdict.

This case is prime for appeal.


You don't know what they were talking about in there, and until you do this is just motivated reasoning.


The judge himself said that the city announcing a settlement with Floyds family and Maxine Waters making certain comments will make the case ripe for appeal. Not my words.

Add to that the Daunte Wright incident, Biden this morning, all the riots etc.


It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.
 
Airontario
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:21 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.


Yeah, well if he didn't kill a man he wouldn't be in this position.
 
drew777
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:22 pm

bigGAplane wrote:


It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.



And if he'd been aquitted you wouldn't be here praising the tainted jury? Just because you don't like something doesn't make it unfare.
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 pm

Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.


Yeah, well if he didn't kill a man he wouldn't be in this position.


Killing someone doesn't take away your right to a fair trial. This is why mob rule is so dangerous. Because people think that the Constitution should only apply in certain situations.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

It's quite a shame because to anyone who doesn't have any preconceived opinion on the matter knows that justice has become mob rule and that outside factors played the biggest part in this verdict.

This case is prime for appeal.


You don't know what they were talking about in there, and until you do this is just motivated reasoning.


The judge himself said that the city announcing a settlement with Floyds family and Maxine Waters making certain comments will make the case ripe for appeal. Not my words.

Add to that the Daunte Wright incident, Biden this morning, all the riots etc.


It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.



This case was highly publicized and witnessed by everyone through videotape. Fair trial? He Got one. I think there are grounds for appeal, but I don't think anyone can deny that
1. Chauvin flouted policy, and was fired for it.
2. Ignored bystanders pleas about his actions
3. kept kneeling for an extremely long time 9 minutes to not understand the consequences of his actions that resulted in death

I was surprised he got convicted on 2nd degree murder, but I completely understand the the third degree and manslaughter beats.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
drew777
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:24 pm

Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.


Yeah, well if he didn't kill a man he wouldn't be in this position.


That's not fair! Chauvin should have chose to keep breathing!
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 pm

drew777 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:


It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.



And if he'd been aquitted you wouldn't be here praising the tainted jury? Just because you don't like something doesn't make it unfare.


I actually would be, because if you read my previous reply...I thought he was guilty of either 3rd degree murder or manslaughter. Him being acquitted would have probably been the worst outcome possible.
 
Newark727
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.


Yeah, well if he didn't kill a man he wouldn't be in this position.


Killing someone doesn't take away your right to a fair trial. This is why mob rule is so dangerous. Because people think that the Constitution should only apply in certain situations.


George Floyd had a right to a fair trial too, didn't he? Why aren't you more upset about him?
 
Airontario
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.


Yeah, well if he didn't kill a man he wouldn't be in this position.


Killing someone doesn't take away your right to a fair trial. This is why mob rule is so dangerous. Because people think that the Constitution should only apply in certain situations.


What was so unfair about the trial. The entire thing was televised, I'm sure you can point out the parts that were "unfair'.
 
M564038
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Yes, it is a scandal that it is now seemingly illegal for a police officer in control of a situation to execute a black guy. Where is the world headed?

bigGAplane wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

It's quite a shame because to anyone who doesn't have any preconceived opinion on the matter knows that justice has become mob rule and that outside factors played the biggest part in this verdict.

This case is prime for appeal.


You don't know what they were talking about in there, and until you do this is just motivated reasoning.


The judge himself said that the city announcing a settlement with Floyds family and Maxine Waters making certain comments will make the case ripe for appeal. Not my words.

Add to that the Daunte Wright incident, Biden this morning, all the riots etc.


It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9060
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
...
It was impossible for Chauvin to get a fair trial and it was clear right from the beginning. This is the outcome.


He can go all the way to Supreme Court and multiple judges will give his team plenty of chances.

It will take years. It won't be a 9 min 29 second decision by one person while his buddies standing guard.

Seems fair to me.
All posts are just opinions.
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm

Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
Airontario wrote:

Yeah, well if he didn't kill a man he wouldn't be in this position.


Killing someone doesn't take away your right to a fair trial. This is why mob rule is so dangerous. Because people think that the Constitution should only apply in certain situations.


What was so unfair about the trial. The entire thing was televised, I'm sure you can point out the parts that were "unfair'.


https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/04 ... aters.html

Is that enough for you?
 
Airontario
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:37 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:

Killing someone doesn't take away your right to a fair trial. This is why mob rule is so dangerous. Because people think that the Constitution should only apply in certain situations.


What was so unfair about the trial. The entire thing was televised, I'm sure you can point out the parts that were "unfair'.


https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/04 ... aters.html

Is that enough for you?


Nope, that's not close to enough for me. Imagine the precedent that would set if a verdict (returned in a single day), could be overturned because someone from outside the trial said “We’ve got to stay on the street, and we’ve got to get more active."
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:42 pm

Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
Airontario wrote:

What was so unfair about the trial. The entire thing was televised, I'm sure you can point out the parts that were "unfair'.


https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/04 ... aters.html

Is that enough for you?


Nope, that's not close to enough for me. Imagine the precedent that would set if a verdict (returned in a single day), could be overturned because someone from outside the trial said “We’ve got to stay on the street, and we’ve got to get more active."


It's not just "someone" as you know but choose to ignore. It's one of the most powerful members of Congress. That's the reason the judge himself made the comments he did.

The fact that the jury handed down a verdict so quickly, didn't ask any questions, didn't pass on any notes or anything else plays right into the hand of the defense as far as an appeal goes.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:46 pm

bigGAplane wrote:
Airontario wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:


Nope, that's not close to enough for me. Imagine the precedent that would set if a verdict (returned in a single day), could be overturned because someone from outside the trial said “We’ve got to stay on the street, and we’ve got to get more active."


It's not just "someone" as you know but choose to ignore. It's one of the most powerful members of Congress. That's the reason the judge himself made the comments he did.

The fact that the jury handed down a verdict so quickly, didn't ask any questions, didn't pass on any notes or anything else plays right into the hand of the defense as far as an appeal goes.



They can appeal it while Chauvin sits in Jail. It's been done many times in many cases.
They are not going to be able to change the fact that the defense lost this case on their own, without outside influence. They had to pay retirees from many states away to testify about possible causes of death.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
bigGAplane
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial Underway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 pm

casinterest wrote:
bigGAplane wrote:
Airontario wrote:

Nope, that's not close to enough for me. Imagine the precedent that would set if a verdict (returned in a single day), could be overturned because someone from outside the trial said “We’ve got to stay on the street, and we’ve got to get more active."


It's not just "someone" as you know but choose to ignore. It's one of the most powerful members of Congress. That's the reason the judge himself made the comments he did.

The fact that the jury handed down a verdict so quickly, didn't ask any questions, didn't pass on any notes or anything else plays right into the hand of the defense as far as an appeal goes.



They can appeal it while Chauvin sits in Jail. It's been done many times in many cases.
They are not going to be able to change the fact that the defense lost this case on their own, without outside influence. They had to pay retirees from many states away to testify about possible causes of death.


...and even with those witnesses there were attempts at intimidation (which is illegal).

https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/19/f ... ead-blood/

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], USPIT10L and 29 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos