Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Florida's Rep. Gaetz Under Investigation For Underage Impropriety

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:23 pm

Strange things happening in FL - so it comes out yesterday that Congressman Gaetz is under investigation for an underage relationship (age of consent is 18 in FL) and possible interstate sex trafficking. At first I was surprised the story didn't have something to do with the Cuban boy who has been living with him for six years.

https://www.axios.com/matt-gaetz-sexual ... 2b914.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/rep-mat ... tor-2020-6

As if none of the above is strange enough, Gaetz came on Fox last night to give his side of things with Tucker Carlson, and you could see about halfway through that Carlson was weirded out by the nature of Gaetz's answers.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5456 ... t-hes-done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQzLCHLle-g

Not sure what is going on here, but there must be a lot more to the story. Gaetz's story that a successful lawyer is trying to extort him just doesn't add up. We'll certainly hear more in the next few days.

Confuscius

Re: Florida's Rep. Gaetz Under Investigation For Underage Impropriety

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:52 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Strange things happening in FL - so it comes out yesterday that Congressman Gaetz is under investigation for an underage relationship (age of consent is 18 in FL) and possible interstate sex trafficking. At first I was surprised the story didn't have something to do with the Cuban boy who has been living with him for six years.

As if none of the above is strange enough, Gaetz came on Fox last night to give his side of things with Tucker Carlson, and you could see about halfway through that Carlson was weirded out by the nature of Gaetz's answers.

I'm not surprised he tried to throw Tucker under the bus. But I'm surprised by the Florida Man's alleged victim's gender.

NIKV69

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 pm

Something isn't adding up here. Has the justice department said anything? Probably prudent to wait until then.

scbriml

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:29 pm

You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but if I had young kids, I wouldn't be leaving them with Gaetz.

johnboy

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:22 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
At first I was surprised the story didn't have something to do with the Cuban boy who has been living with him for six years.

Patience you must have, my young Padawan!

LMP737

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 pm

I chuckled when Gaetz referred to himself as a "Florida man" recently. I totally agree.

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:36 pm

I guess Gaetz knows that he's f**ked and try to take somebody with him?

Seriously, if Tucker Carlson thinks you are weird as a GOP, something is really wrong.

Confuscius

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:44 pm

I guess pizzagaetz is real after all.

LMP737

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:53 pm

Confuscius wrote:

Dude, that's funny :lol:

sierrakilo44

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:17 pm

Confuscius wrote:

You couldn’t make this up if you tried. So after declaring almost every Democrat and left winger of being involved in child trafficking and molestation, what do the Qanon crowd do when confronted with an actual case of an alleged pedophile under law enforcement investigation?:

The QAnon conspiracy-theory community has spent nearly four years trying to prove that a "deep state" cabal of human traffickers exists in the most powerful corners of the country, specifically targeting Democrats and liberal celebrities with misinformation campaigns. But now that Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida is reportedly being investigated by the Justice Department on sex trafficking claims, the far-right conspiracy-theory movement is coming to his defense.

QAnon conspiracy theorists are claiming that reports of an investigation into the claim that Gaetz paid a 17-year-old girl to travel with him were "fabricated," and that this is all part of "the plan" for the pro-Trump movement

https://news.yahoo.com/qanon-believers- ... 05611.html

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:36 am

No new details on the investigation itself but it seems like few in the GOP are eager to defend Gaetz:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5458 ... nds-in-gop

Aesma

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:53 am

A QAnon supporter involved in kiddie sex, say it isn't so !

seb146

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Gaetz mentioned pictures to Tucker but no one has said anything about that. Also, this investigation began under the previous administration and Bill Barr.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:43 pm

seb146 wrote:
Gaetz mentioned pictures to Tucker but no one has said anything about that. Also, this investigation began under the previous administration and Bill Barr.

Why should they? It's alleged with anonymous sources.

FGITD

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:57 pm

His behavior since the story broke has been fascinating.

He told Tucker Carlson the girl did not exist, then also alleged that Carlson had met her.

He also may have possibly compromised an FBI investigation into a DOJ official.

Sure, there’s no definite proven source yet, but there’s certainly plenty of smoke and a very panicky representative for this to be a non-event

LMP737

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:53 pm

FGITD wrote:

He told Tucker Carlson the girl did not exist, then also alleged that Carlson had met her.

Sure, there’s no definite proven source yet, but there’s certainly plenty of smoke and a very panicky representative for this to be a non-event

He's not doing himself any favors that's for sure. If I were his attorney I would tell him to stop doing what he's doing.

zakuivcustom

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:40 pm

LMP737 wrote:
He's not doing himself any favors that's for sure. If I were his attorney I would tell him to stop doing what he's doing.

Knowing that he is a Trump worshipper, and known for being an attention grabber, I doubt he can help himself when he is digging a deeper hole.

Aaron747 wrote:
No new details on the investigation itself but it seems like few in the GOP are eager to defend Gaetz:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5458 ... nds-in-gop

The bigger thing out of the story is that there is basically zero support from anyone truly in Trump admin - including The Don himself.

Everyone basically goes "wait and see" instead of defending him - that speaks volume.

johnboy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:03 pm

He thinks he’s Trump Lite: he throws out vaguely sinister snippets to Carlson (“you remember her, right?”), and thinks he will have this entire shadowy “Wilson Wolf” organization to help extricate him.

Except:

1) he’s not got the persona (in fact, I think he’s one of the most truly dumb people in politics - and that’s saying something)

2) he doesn’t have the history/experience of grift and amorality that Trump has in spades

3) no one likes him (which isn’t normally an issue in these circles, except see #1 & #2)

4) Alleged extortion doesn’t clear you of sex trafficking across state lines. And trust me, there’s a huge gulf (legally) between 17 and 18. Just sayin.

LMP737

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:30 pm

johnboy wrote:

4) Alleged extortion doesn’t clear you of sex trafficking across state lines. And trust me, there’s a huge gulf (legally) between 17 and 18. Just sayin.

Day before her 18 birthday, jail. Day after her 18 birthday, political prospects possibly diminished and a possibly upset fiancée. But no jail!

NIKV69

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:47 pm

LMP737 wrote:
johnboy wrote:

Day before her 18 birthday, jail. Day after her 18 birthday, political prospects possibly diminished and a possibly upset fiancée. But no jail!

If so then he is an idiot. A man his age and his job should not even be dating 18 year olds. At that point his youngest gf should be 21+

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:23 am

Getting worse now: lawmakers are telling reporters Gaetz was showing around nudes while conducting House business:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5460 ... slept-with

He’s just an overgrown frat boy at the end of the day...which fits with the DUI and everything else.

alfa164

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:28 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Getting worse now: lawmakers are telling reporters Gaetz was showing around nudes while conducting House business:
He’s just an overgrown frat boy at the end of the day...which fits with the DUI and everything else.

"A sick child" might be a better description...

:roll:

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 am

alfa164 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

"A sick child" might be a better description...

:roll:

And we still don’t know what’s up with bringing a 14 year-old boy home to live with and ‘raise’.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:06 am

What I am afraid of this guy quitting and his replacement being even more of a RWNJ, Trumpster, and tool of Satan.

MaverickM11

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:33 am

Human garbage turns out to be human garbage. Knock me over with a feather. Lynn Cheney must be cackling somewhere on her broom.

FGITD wrote:

And also brought up accusations against Tucker :rotfl:

ltbewr wrote:
What I am afraid of this guy quitting and his replacement being even more of a RWNJ, Trumpster, and tool of Satan.

Is there any other option for today's GOP?

johnboy

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:38 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Human garbage turns out to be human garbage. Knock me over with a feather. Lynn Cheney must be cackling somewhere on her broom.

Honey, Ms. Liz Cheney has broken the seal on that rarest bourbon in the ranch.

Trust.

FGITD

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

FGITD wrote:

And also brought up accusations against Tucker :rotfl:

it's quite the defense. Deny, deflect, compromise a major investigation, and implicate the interviewer.

Gaetz of course is of the belief that there's no age limits to being sexy. So you know he's a real straight shooter on this subject

zakuivcustom

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:26 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Meh...just "locker room talk"...moving on.

More seriously, if anything it just show his total lack of professionalism and ethics. Fits right in the Florida GOP, though.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:31 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Meh...just "locker room talk"...moving on.

More seriously, if anything it just show his total lack of professionalism and ethics. Fits right in the Florida GOP, though.

Locker room talk potentially accompanied by statutory rape and interstate trafficking. Very nice guy.

johnboy

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:20 am

Aaron747 wrote:
And we still don’t know what’s up with bringing a 14 year-old boy home to live with and ‘raise’.

Procurer?

KFTG

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:32 am

Surprising absolutely no one, it seems Gaetz was the sole "no" vote on a 2017 anti-human trafficking bill.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... fficking-/
Amazing.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 am

House Speaker Pelosi has said that Gaetz should be removed or resign form his seat on the House Judiciary Committee and face investigation by the Ethics Committee.
https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... 93da2be11a

Then there are the allegations he was paying for sex from prostitutes he hooked up with online that are part of the Federal investigations. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing

As allegedly Groucho Marx said: “He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.”

CitizenJustin

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:33 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Confuscius wrote:

You couldn’t make this up if you tried. So after declaring almost every Democrat and left winger of being involved in child trafficking and molestation, what do the Qanon crowd do when confronted with an actual case of an alleged pedophile under law enforcement investigation?:

The QAnon conspiracy-theory community has spent nearly four years trying to prove that a "deep state" cabal of human traffickers exists in the most powerful corners of the country, specifically targeting Democrats and liberal celebrities with misinformation campaigns. But now that Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida is reportedly being investigated by the Justice Department on sex trafficking claims, the far-right conspiracy-theory movement is coming to his defense.

QAnon conspiracy theorists are claiming that reports of an investigation into the claim that Gaetz paid a 17-year-old girl to travel with him were "fabricated," and that this is all part of "the plan" for the pro-Trump movement

The right projects all their lies, sexual perversions, corruption and so on onto the left. If they blame or accuse the left of something you can be damn sure they’re the guilty ones. How many GOP homophobes have been caught cruising at night for young men? Roy Moore was supported by them and he’s a well known creeper of girls at his local mall. By the way, has anyone ever noticed how obsessed the right is with sex in general? Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

CitizenJustin

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:42 pm

CNN perfectly described him as belonging to the “buffoon” part of the GOP. Also, he has an extremely punchable face. He looks like he reeks of Axe body spray and is the type of guy to say “do you know who I am?”

johnboy

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:00 pm

He’s the “Hunter Biden” the GOP was desperately looking for ... and he was right in front of them the whole time!

zkojq

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Confuscius wrote:

Q: "Save our children from pedophiles!"

Also Q: "Wait not him he's MAGA. Save our children from liberal pedophiles only!"

It's the same playbook as ever from the far right: Gaslight, Obstruct, Project.

SRQLOT

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:05 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Not sure what is going on here, but there must be a lot more to the story. Gaetz's story that a successful lawyer is trying to extort him just doesn't add up. We'll certainly hear more in the next few days.

Yes same here about the Cuban boy! No white man adopts a teenage Latino/Asian boy out of the kindness off their heart. He’s boinking the adopted son. I think the girl and other nude pics of women are kind of a ruse to keep people from thinking about the adopted son.

johns624

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:34 am

He always looked like a televangelist to me, with the perfect hair and everything.

Pellegrine

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 am

johnboy wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Honey, Ms. Liz Cheney has broken the seal on that rarest bourbon in the ranch.

Trust.

Pappy Van Winkle :razz:

johnboy

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:51 am

Wonder how many GQP’ers will be caught up in this when the deal making begins. I have a feeling a whole lotta. :bouncy:

Thank you for your hard work, Stacey Abrams! Without flipping Georgia blue, I highly doubt any of this would be going down right now.
Last edited by johnboy on Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

seb146

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:38 pm

I can see MAGAs spinning this for the mid term elections. "Look! We punish our own so we are as patriotic as Democrats so elect us!" or something similar.

He also allegedly showed other members of Congress nudes on the floor of the House.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/politics ... index.html

This is frat boy stuff. There is a time and place for everything. At work? Nope. This is what he is using taxpayer dollars for. I just wonder why the other members of Congress didn't say anything at the time? Or did he just show them to the other frat boys?

ltbewr

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:57 pm

johnboy wrote:
Wonder how many GQP’ers will be caught up in this when the deal making begins. I have a feeling a whole lotta. :bouncy:

Thank you for your hard work, Stacey Abrams! Without flipping Georgia blue, I highly doubt any of this would be going down right now.

First of all, the 'tax collector' was charged last year seems to be giving up a lot of info that led to the investigation starting last year as well as to Rep. Gaetz, both under the Trump administration's US Justice Dept.. I wouldn't be surprised at a number of 'Florida M[e]n' getting caught up with the sex trafficking charges, statutory rape, illegal financial transactions and who knows what other charges.

WIederling

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:12 pm

zkojq wrote:
Also Q: "Wait not him he's MAGA. Save our children from liberal pedophiles only!"

GOP: we definitely don't share :-)

DocLightning

Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:46 am

I want to just remind everybody that as gratifying as it is to see a child molester/trafficker get his due (they so often get away with it), keep in mind that a number of girls and young women were trafficked and sexually abused in order for Mr. Gaetz to get his due.

Watching justice served is good recompense, but it doesn't undo the horrors that were visited upon his victims.

Please don't lose sight of that.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:00 am

DocLightning wrote:
I want to just remind everybody that as gratifying as it is to see a child molester/trafficker get his due (they so often get away with it), keep in mind that a number of girls and young women were trafficked and sexually abused in order for Mr. Gaetz to get his due.

Watching justice served is good recompense, but it doesn't undo the horrors that were visited upon his victims.

Never. Also still waiting for the Alex Azar and others in Florida government at the time to be properly investigated for letting Epstein off the hook. Hundreds of victims there alone.

zkojq

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:25 am

DocLightning wrote:

An important point. It is said that ~3% of official rape complaints result in a prosecution (can't remember the jurisdiction) and I would guess that the statistics for complaints relating to human trafficking probably aren't much different. Probably even less favourable if someone wealthy and powerful is the perpetrator.

And thus one thinks of all the many victims who won't be getting justice.

CitizenJustin

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:02 am

SRQLOT wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Yes same here about the Cuban boy! No white man adopts a teenage Latino/Asian boy out of the kindness off their heart. He’s boinking the adopted son. I think the girl and other nude pics of women are kind of a ruse to keep people from thinking about the adopted son.

You mean raping the adopted son. When an adult has sex with a child it’s called statutory rape or rape.

CitizenJustin

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:33 am

DocLightning wrote:

How about we acknowledge all the victims of child sex trafficking, not just his victims and not just one gender. Surely you’re aware that young boys are trafficked and victimized as well? Whether it’s Bacca Bazi in the Middle East or the massive organized pedophile rings in Europe. I suggest you watch the documentary “Dancing Boys of Afghanistan”. Those boys live in abject poverty and are sold off by their own parents whom they never see again. I don’t think people are aware of the horrors that occur in these lawless war torn countries where people are so desperate to survive they’ll sell their own child knowing damn well what will happen to them.

WIederling

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:28 am

zkojq wrote:
An important point. It is said that ~3% of official rape complaints result in a prosecution (can't remember the jurisdiction) and I would guess that the statistics for complaints relating to human trafficking probably aren't much different. Probably even less favourable if someone wealthy and powerful is the perpetrator.

"Rape"
This is a problematic field.
You have the group of real rape victims and you have the group of persons that make rape allegations.
The intersection group is small(is).
The majority of real rapes are not brought to judicial attention.
The majority of rape complaints are fake.
(You see much ado about nothing in the US because it is another vector to move money.
in Europe things seem to get a more cortical approach.)

Any drive towards forcing more convictions will have an increase in wrongful convictions as a result.

"Human Traficking"
Human trafficking (for whatever reason) in that context is easier.

you tend to have hard evidence.
Caveat: having the perpetrators backed from high up politics really creates a mess:
see the Belgian cases centered around Marc Dutroux
ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dutroux

SRQLOT

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:07 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

You mean raping the adopted son. When an adult has sex with a child it’s called statutory rape or rape.

True of course. He should have just married the kid, with the kids parents permission then it would have been ok. But you know the whole “Republican” thing, it wouldn’t look good unless it was a girl.