Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Preparing for an interview

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:09 pm

Hello all,

I was just curious as to how you personally prepare for a job interview?

I have a couple big virtual interviews this week and was just curious as to what all of you do specifically to get ready.

northstardc4m

Re: Preparing for an interview

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:12 pm

A) know the job posting upside down and backwards... Anything on there that's mentioned that you don't know research a bit. You don't need to know everything about everything but at least know what everything is.

B) research the company and have some questions about it that do not have to do with pay or job

C) dress for a virtual Interview the same as a real one

D) relax... I know that one is super hard but do your best

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

chimborazo

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:54 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
A) know the job posting upside down and backwards... Anything on there that's mentioned that you don't know research a bit. You don't need to know everything about everything but at least know what everything is.

B) research the company and have some questions about it that do not have to do with pay or job

E) remember that you know you’re good enough to work in that role otherwise you wouldn’t be applying for it and that you are also making sure the company is good enough for you (this is really important in my experience). Prepare some good quality questions to ask about the role and the company (as noted above) - without being arrogant, be clear that you are interviewing them and the company as much as they are interviewing you.

DocLightning

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:31 pm

1) Research the company. If you get the names of your interviewers in advance, Google them and look up their publications, professional accomplishments, other professional information. That can give you some questions to ask them about their professional portfolio and makes it look like you've done your homework.

2) Have questions to ask written down ahead of time. They shouldn't have to do with benefits/vacation/pay. That stuff will get worked out in the offer. Focusing on that in the interview makes it look like you're in this for you and not for the job.

3) Take notes, or at least have a pen and paper out during the interview. It makes it look like you have your act together.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

phatfarmlines

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:31 pm

chimborazo wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

E) remember that you know you’re good enough to work in that role otherwise you wouldn’t be applying for it and that you are also making sure the company is good enough for you (this is really important in my experience). Prepare some good quality questions to ask about the role and the company (as noted above) - without being arrogant, be clear that you are interviewing them and the company as much as they are interviewing you.

:checkmark: All good points. Following up on the 5th point, questions are good, but even better is weaving questions in like its a normal conversation.

Aaron747

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:14 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
chimborazo wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

:checkmark: All good points. Following up on the 5th point, questions are good, but even better is weaving questions in like its a normal conversation.

This is key. I did so recently in an interview and was told afterward my questions were the most engaging and enjoyable of any candidate. Was passed for the position ultimately for being out of industry, but the hiring manager fought for me. And what others said is also true - look for signs the company is worth being at or not. If there’s a hiring panel but only one person interviews you, that shows the company is possibly underhanded or doesn’t take transparency seriously.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Kno

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:29 am

I agree with all the above point, all things I do as well.

Another point I’d add is - if you are caught off guard by something, or don’t understand a question or have an answer for something, it’s okay to express it. When people BS an answer it shows an rarely works out.

In my experience chemistry is the biggest factor when applying for a job with a high number of qualified applicants. The formalities of interviewing are important, but it’s just as important to be human and friendly and not become too nervous or stiff or robotic.