Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

M564038
Topic Author

Norway sees new homicide record 1st quarter 2021. Zero.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:51 am

Zero homocides first quarter 2021, not just per 100,000, but out of a 6 million population.
Some of the reduction is explainable by Covid and statistical imaginable chance(numbers were low before), but this is kind of beyond belief.

I looked into the worldwide numbers a bit, and though they look quite different than this extreme example, they have been looking better and better for a long time.

How do you think this will play out in the future, and which is the next country hitting this fantasy level?

Is it simply because everyone is driving EVs on hydro power?;-)

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/bnxr ... ap-i-norge

af773atmsp

Re: Norway sees new homicide record 1st quarter 2021. Zero.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:59 am

Slightly off topic but I believe in 2019 Oslo had zero traffic deaths.

Norway may have issues like any other country, but they have a lot more figured out. Speaking from experience studying there.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

ltbewr

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:52 am

The population of NY City is about 8 million, and they have about a 100 murders per quarter in 2020, a higher rate since 2014. Although it is far better than in the early 1990's where the murder numbers were 500 per quarter, at all time highs, still 100/quarter is unacceptable.
To have zero murders in the country of 6 Million likely due to culture, stable incomes (despite the Pandemic), access to all in the country to good medical and mental health care, possibly earlier intervention of police, family and community residents of potential murders, including family violence (Children, spouses).
As to the zero traffic deaths in 2019 on Oslo, that is also due to culture, sound police practices, sound government polices to encourage safe driving, go after drunk drivers, DWT's (driving while texting) and other forms of distracted driving.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:55 am

^ Low poverty too, added to your list. Makes a huge difference in people’s stress levels.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Mortyman

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:28 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
^ Low poverty too, added to your list. Makes a huge difference in people’s stress levels.

Yes, but this covid 19 thing is not a positive thing. I imagine that both homicide and suicide rate will be going up in Norway, Just like the unemployment rate and poverty rate has in the last 12 months. Current government has not really handled the situation well in Norway and has been way to slow and non pro active to act. Caring more about businesses finances than people.

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:48 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Yes, but this covid 19 thing is not a positive thing. I imagine that both homicide and suicide rate will be going up in Norway, Just like the unemployment rate and poverty rate has in the last 12 months. Current government has not really handled the situation well in Norway and has been way to slow and non pro active to act. Caring more about businesses finances than people.

I disagree I’m pretty happy with Erna’s leadership during this period. Caring about businesses is also caring about people, if the businesses go so do jobs, people need jobs. Without jobs and society starts to break down.

Mortyman

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:26 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I disagree I’m pretty happy with Erna’s leadership during this period. Caring about businesses is also caring about people, if the businesses go so do jobs, people need jobs. Without jobs and society starts to break down.

Yes, but the current government is primarely supporting large corporations with large funds and not the smaller businesses that are struggling

M564038
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:49 pm

The symbol of Erna’s government of the pandemic will forever be how she didn’t support normal people trying to pay the rent, but gave the money to the owners to cover the loss of income due to flats being empty after people had been forced to move.
That says 100% everything about her and her evil ideology. Nothing has created a bigger class divide in this country since the industrial revolution than the governance of this pandemic. It will come back and bite us big time. Lets hope for a firm and clear change in the upcoming elections. The current government is right wing madness at is finest.

They are so extreme right they would almost not be called communists by some of the americans on this board;-)
Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

prebennorholm

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:00 am

M564038 wrote:
Zero homocides first quarter 2021,

So obviously Breivik hasn't been released from prison yet.

But beware when that happens (cannot last all that long). He has changed his name to Hansen (full name Fjotolf Hansen).
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Aaron747

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:02 am

Mortyman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Yes, but the current government is primarely supporting large corporations with large funds and not the smaller businesses that are struggling

Basically every western country’s response in the final analysis
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

M564038
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:07 am

He won’t ever be released.
prebennorholm wrote:
M564038 wrote:

But beware when that happens (cannot last all that long). He has changed his name to Hansen (full name Fjotolf Hansen).

flyguy89

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:52 am

Or are Norwegians just really good at getting away with murder :duck:

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 am

Mortyman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

I work for a medium sized business, they have supported us. So I disagree.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:17 am

M564038 wrote:
The symbol of Erna’s government of the pandemic will forever be how she didn’t support normal people trying to pay the rent, but gave the money to the owners to cover the loss of income due to flats being empty after people had been forced to move.
That says 100% everything about her and her evil ideology. Nothing has created a bigger class divide in this country since the industrial revolution than the governance of this pandemic. It will come back and bite us big time. Lets hope for a firm and clear change in the upcoming elections. The current government is right wing madness at is finest.

They are so extreme right they would almost not be called communists by some of the americans on this board;-)

To call this government right wing I laughed so hard and spilled my morning hot chocolate. They are barely centre right.

Dutchy

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:24 am

Good for Norway.

prebennorholm wrote:
M564038 wrote:

not even remotely funny.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

M564038
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 am

Ok. Then you judge on superficial apperance only, and simply know nothing about norwegian political history, where the main ideological fault lines are, and how the key numbers and statistics has developed over the last 8 years.

Kiwirob wrote:
M564038 wrote:

To call this government right wing I laughed so hard and spilled my morning hot chocolate. They are barely centre right.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:25 am

M564038 wrote:
Ok. Then you judge on superficial apperance only, and simply know nothing about norwegian political history, where the main ideological fault lines are, and how the key numbers and statistics has developed over the last 8 years.

Kiwirob wrote:
M564038 wrote:

I'm not interested in Norway's political history prior to my moving to Norway in 2006, although I do believe Norwegian voters made a mistake when they rejected EU membership.

I'm calling it as I see it. The current govt has done a lot more that I can see than the previous centre left govt that they replaced. Jonas Gahr Støre is unelectable, you'd have to be stark raving mad to want that lefty elitist as Statsminister, he will sink the Arbeidarpartiet chances just like Corban did to the UK Labour Party.

M564038
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am

I don’t know what echo chamber you live in, but that is disconnected from reality. I am glad you admit to having very little knowledge about the subject.

Kiwirob wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:

I'm not interested in Norway's political history prior to my moving to Norway in 2006, although I do believe Norwegian voters made a mistake when they rejected EU membership.

I'm calling it as I see it. The current govt has done a lot more that I can see than the previous centre left govt that they replaced. Jonas Gahr Støre is unelectable, you'd have to be stark raving mad to want that lefty elitist as Statsminister, he will sink the Arbeidarpartiet chances just like Corban did to the UK Labour Party.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 am

M564038 wrote:
I don’t know what echo chamber you live in, but that is disconnected from reality. I am glad you admit to having very little knowledge about the subject.

If you think Jonas Gahr Støre is a worthy PM then I feel sorry for you, he's got leadership ability, Jens was an awful wet blanket of a leader, Jonas is going to be far far worse.

johns624

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Good for Norway.

prebennorholm wrote:
M564038 wrote:

not even remotely funny.
I think the occasional gallows humour is funny and I laughed at what he wrote. What it means is that it only takes one crazy person to flip the statistics.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm

M564038 wrote:
prebennorholm wrote:
M564038 wrote:

I think he might one day, if you remember Arnfinn Nesset, he was sentenced to 21 years, was released in 12 and had supervision for 10 years. He was convicted for killing 22 people but it's estimated that he killed 138, he's twice the monster ABB is.

M564038
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:18 pm

Yes, I remember the Nesset-case! My father always told the story of meeting him in a professional capacity not long before it all fell apart, and I was supposedly with him as a small child. How is that for a claim to fame? He said he had the creepiest voice and the weakest handshake of anyone he'd met and some other details. The story might have gotten better over time..

Anyway, Nesset killed more or less dying elderly people by injecting them with strong pain killers. In some of the cases as some misguided mercy killing, others tending towards playing God in his little nursing home kingdom. He is a bit of a mystery.
The exact numbers are unknown.

I do think it differs a lot from actively following after running and screaming or just stiffly terrified chiildren and young adults begging for their lives around an island for an hour, shooting 79 of them in the head with an assault rifle while listening and humming to gaming music and disguised as a police officer. Also, it is now possible by law to keep someone locked up for life, if he is judged a danger to society, something which it wasn't in the early 80's. He's been in for nearly 10 years and is yet to be allowed to even meet another prisoner. I have met him too! Or at least so I am told by friends that actually remembered him from a place we used to hang out.

I tend to forget the mass-murderers and serial-killers I meet, for some reason;-)

Anyway, the homicide-rate dropping to zero at a time when other research says domestic violence has been sharply rising, and many people has lost their careers, jobs, homes, are quite interresting. Something isn't quite adding up. 1 in 6 children is said to have been victims of domestic abuse the last year's spring closing of schools. That is why the schools have been kept open most of the time now, keeping the virus spreading.

I don't know if you ever heard about the "Bjugn-case"? In the early 90's they thought they had uncovered a massive amount of sexual abuse and phaedophilia in a small village in trøndelag. Numerous people were arrested. One brought to court. Before it turned out it was all a case of rumors and mass-hysteria creeping it's way into children's imagination and old fashioned interrogation-techniques.
(Now confirmed by the then children well into adult-hood)

I wonder if some of the Domestic-abuse-numbers we are seeing about children now ihas more to do with how the questions are asked than Covid and closed schools.
The zero homicide-rate certainly doesn't support some sudden, massive, never seen before hell going on behind closed doors all over.

Kiwirob wrote:
M564038 wrote:
prebennorholm wrote:

I think he might one day, if you remember Arnfinn Nesset, he was sentenced to 21 years, was released in 12 and had supervision for 10 years. He was convicted for killing 22 people but it's estimated that he killed 138, he's twice the monster ABB is.