Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Re: Airport Neighbors Unhappier Than Ever About Noise, Despite Quieter Planes

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Loudest I personally heard, in the late 80's, when I lived about 1.5 miles from DFW, was a morning takeoff of the Concorde. That, and when Delta had their aircraft maintenance building operational on the East side of DFW. They would run up the jet engines for 10-15 seconds at a time, late at night.

Consider yourself fortunate you were not at the airport perimeter at Castle AFB when a KC-135A with J57s took off overhead. :duck: :duck:

KBOS

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
I don't understand people who buy a house on a flight path then say "but I didn't know there was an airport here!" How do you not know? When we bought this house, we came and toured each property we were interested in. How does someone buy a house sight unseen? Better question: why?

When I moved to Rhode Island we went to look at a house in Cranston right near the bay. It was a beautiful spring day and we are sitting outside the house waiting for the sellers agent when a Southwest 737 roared right overhead at about 1000 feet. The real estate agent got nervous and I looked at him and said "Did you catch the tail number on that?" I already knew this house was about 4 miles from the end of 23 but I also knew it was less than a mile from where I wanted to keep a boat. Been here 10 years now and enjoy spotting from my back yard.

pune

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:31 am

coming from Indian perspective, it is sad to see not many cheap hotels near airport. The only one I remember was near Kochi, I had straight view of the Airport and paid something like 1000 bucks a night, Best view and everything. Wish there were more like this in India, you are not in the airport and still can see aircraft coming into landing and flying off.

As far as for people concerned in India, most of us have lived with noise. It is only after pandemic, after lockdown, lot more people have become sensitive. We had started doing noise regulations during even festivals from few years back. So yeah, awareness has been building. Also once you become deaf (like me), there is no going back :(

Sokes

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:56 am

Another problem is that people in the West are brought up to make a fuss. E.g. Babies are kept in a quiet room to sleep. I have seen babies kept before the TV to get used to the noise. If residents close to airports would use the same trick, the next generation may complain about planes getting too quiet.

WIederling

Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:39 am

Sokes wrote:
I have seen babies kept before the TV to get used to the noise..

upside down you have it.

Radio TV turned louder to "tune out" the baby noise.

If everybody would angst ladden look at me I'd scream my lungs out too. :-)
Many years back on the Hamburg to Harwich boat:
next table sat a young lady with her rather "fresh" baby.
Every time the little one started to succumb to being tired
she started to shake it to "pacify" it.
WHaaa...