Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirWorthy99
Topic Author

Charles Barkley slams politicians: They 'divide and conquer' to keep power

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:02 pm

Words of wisdom from someone outside the political spectrum:

Former NBA star Charles Barkley ripped the nation's political class on Saturday, saying politicians are dividing Americans along racial lines for personal gain.

"Man, I think most white people and Black people are great people," Barkley said Saturday night during the CBS's broadcast of the NCAA men's college basketball tournament.

"I really believe that in my heart, but I think our system is set up where our politicians, whether they're Republicans or Democrats, are designed to make us not like each other so they can keep their grasp of money and power. They divide and conquer," he said.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/5 ... keep-power

Unfortunate these comments don't gain any significant traction. I guess our environment is too heavily politicized to actually even see this. Which is absolutely true.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

LCDFlight

Re: Charles Barkley slams politicians: They 'divide and conquer' to keep power

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:07 pm

Applause for his wise words. People as successful as Charles Barkley understand that adolescent nonsense gets you nowhere. To actually solve a problem, you have to take herd mentality out, filter out peer pressure, filter out noise.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:09 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Former NBA star Charles Barkley ripped the nation's political class on Saturday, saying politicians are dividing Americans along racial lines for personal gain.

"Man, I think most white people and Black people are great people," Barkley said Saturday night during the CBS's broadcast of the NCAA men's college basketball tournament.

"I really believe that in my heart, but I think our system is set up where our politicians, whether they're Republicans or Democrats, are designed to make us not like each other so they can keep their grasp of money and power. They divide and conquer," he said.

Unfortunate these comments don't gain any significant traction. I guess our environment is too heavily politicized to actually even see this. Which is absolutely true.

Very helpful observation from Barkley if the right people hear what he has to say. Hope its reflected by some of your future posts as well.

The larger thrust of what he’s saying is also easily applied not just to the political class but power in general in out country. $$$ speaks loudest, whether through lobbying, corporate action, etc. Dark money is affecting both parties significantly but gets very little public attention because the big picture is beyond the instant gratification grasp of most media consumers.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AirWorthy99
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:43 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Very helpful observation from Barkley if the right people hear what he has to say. Hope its reflected by some of your future posts as well.

The larger thrust of what he’s saying is also easily applied not just to the political class but power in general in out country. $$$ speaks loudest, whether through lobbying, corporate action, etc. Dark money is affecting both parties significantly but gets very little public attention because the big picture is beyond the instant gratification grasp of most media consumers.

My goodness you ruined an otherwise bi-partisan post with your first sentence. You politicized it right away. On to your second part, well, that's exactly why we need less politicians in our lives, their only interest is their own, not to whom they seek or say they represent.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Aaron747

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:53 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

My goodness you ruined an otherwise bi-partisan post with your first sentence. You politicized it right away. On to your second part, well, that's exactly why we need less politicians in our lives, their only interest is their own, not to whom they seek or say they represent.

Not seeing any politicization in saying Barkley’s point is praiseworthy. Perhaps you confused ‘sentence’ with ‘paragraph’?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AirWorthy99
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not seeing any politicization in saying Barkley’s point is praiseworthy. Perhaps you confused ‘sentence’ with ‘paragraph’?

Yes confused it, meant paragraph. Anyways, wouldn't you agree having less politicians in our lives all of this can be mitigated? and what Barkley says can be reduced ?

Aaron747

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:12 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Yes confused it, meant paragraph. Anyways, wouldn't you agree having less politicians in our lives all of this can be mitigated? and what Barkley says can be reduced ?

Sure...but how? Changing state constitutions to reduce the number of officials is one thing, the US Congress is quite another. Too much money involved - that’s wealth privilege. People in power like the way things are run generally, or they’d be changing it more. It works for them. Ever seen ‘Deadwood’? They did a great job depicting how the leading wild west pioneers wasted no time buying off judges and owning newspapers so they could run law enforcement and state annexations in the manner benefiting them best.

Many nonpartisan analysts suggest the biggest change that could be made now is national elections going to public funds only. But that would take a herculean effort to pass in Congress, so forget it.

AirWorthy99
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:17 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Sure...but how? Changing state constitutions to reduce the number of officials is one thing, the US Congress is quite another. Too much money involved - that’s wealth privilege. People in power like the way things are run generally, or they’d be changing it more. It works for them. Ever seen ‘Deadwood’? They did a great job depicting how the leading wild west pioneers wasted no time buying off judges and owning newspapers so they could run law enforcement and state annexations in the manner benefiting them best.

Many nonpartisan analysts suggest the biggest change that could be made now is national elections going to public funds only. But that would take a herculean effort to pass in Congress, so forget it.

Dunno, I think going back to a smaller government, smaller role on everything would avoid this. Bigger government leads to huge amounts of money at play. Had this been a small and very limited government we might not be having so much negative influence of politics in our lives.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:21 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Dunno, I think going back to a smaller government, smaller role on everything would avoid this. Bigger government leads to huge amounts of money at play. Had this been a small and very limited government we might not be having so much negative influence of politics in our lives.

There’s no going back. Government doubled in the depression, tripled to get WW2 won quickly, then tripled again during the Cold War. Unless we return to a mostly domestic-only economy like the early 20th century, it aint happening.

NIKV69

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 pm

Good for Charles Barkley saying what we all know is true. Like I said I listen to Schumer, Pelosi, Murray I hear hatred and loathing but when I listen to Manchin I l hear leadership. If only the sane people in the Dem party could get power what a country it would be.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

sierrakilo44

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:14 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Good for Charles Barkley saying what we all know is true. Like I said I listen to Schumer, Pelosi, Murray I hear hatred and loathing but when I listen to Manchin I l hear leadership. If only the sane people in the Dem party could get power what a country it would be.

You’re committing a middle ground fallacy there, which a lot of people do. Just because there are two political parties in the US doesn’t mean the best policies lie in the middle of the parties. TBH the best policies actually lie further left than where the Democrats currently are (which would be centrist in any other developed country).

Manchin knows he has to kowtow to conservative rural voter base in his state otherwise he’ll be voted out. He’s actually playing politics to the nth degree and is blocking desperately needed legislation that will improve the lives of all Americans just to stay in power.

You hear hatred and criticism from a lot of Democrats because it’s justified and it’s the truth.

NIKV69

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:47 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Manchin knows he has to kowtow to conservative rural voter base in his state otherwise he’ll be voted out. He’s actually playing politics to the nth degree and is blocking desperately needed legislation that will improve the lives of all Americans just to stay in power.

You hear hatred and criticism from a lot of Democrats because it’s justified and it’s the truth.

You didn't listen to Charles Barkley, did you?

Manchin isn't blocking anything he is trying to get bills passed that really do work for all of America. Not just the ones who vote far left.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Manchin isn't blocking anything he is trying to get bills passed that really do work for all of America. Not just the ones who vote far left.

Barkley can be right about that and you only half-right about Manchin at the same time, while SK44 is right about the other half. That’s the magic of nuance.

sierrakilo44

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:17 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Yes, I put Manchin firmly in the camp of the those who use politics to “maintain a grasp on power and money” as Barkley said. It wouldn’t surprise me if types like Manchin were the ones Barkley was talking about.

Blocking the infrastructure bill and watering it down until it’s meaningless. Opposing a corporate tax rate which would be lower than where it was in the Obama years. Opposing voter rights bills. Opposing basic gun control. Opposing Medicare for all. These are all positions that the majority of American’s don’t support but Manchin does. He’s nothing more than a corrupt corporatist politician who’s sucking up to the right to stay in power.

par13del

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Other than the Tea Party fringe who had that as one of their primary talking points and actually made inroads into one of the major political parties, anyone else out there talking about smaller government?

Aaron747

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:24 am

par13del wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Other than the Tea Party fringe who had that as one of their primary talking points and actually made inroads into one of the major political parties, anyone else out there talking about smaller government?

Right? I mean that ship has seriously sailed, by all available evidence.

c933103

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

There’s no going back. Government doubled in the depression, tripled to get WW2 won quickly, then tripled again during the Cold War. Unless we return to a mostly domestic-only economy like the early 20th century, it aint happening.

Despite it's in line with historical trend, but exactly why would increased international trade cause increasing role of government? I think there are something missing
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Newark727

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:15 am

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Despite it's in line with historical trend, but exactly why would increased international trade cause increasing role of government? I think there are something missing

They correlate more out of a common cause, I think. Most of the technologies that have enabled the proliferation of international trade - from the sailing ship to the airplane to the Internet - have had military applications to go with, and building and sustaining militaries is always a big reason for expanding the functions of government.

c933103

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:34 am

Newark727 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

They correlate more out of a common cause, I think. Most of the technologies that have enabled the proliferation of international trade - from the sailing ship to the airplane to the Internet - have had military applications to go with, and building and sustaining militaries is always a big reason for expanding the functions of government.

Is it an indication that government R&D have overshadowed civilian too much?
A placeholder line

Aaron747

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:52 am

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Are you aware of the globalization of the US economy following WW2? Do you think GE could help the Japanese build nuclear plants, Raytheon could sell missile systems to Israel and India, and Hilton could build hotels throughout Latin America all without quiet assistance from DC? Read more on the CIA's history in Latin America and SE Asia. A critical arm of anti-communist foreign policy was simultaneous expansion of US service industries and infrastructure projects throughout the region. And then we're not even onto the topic of R&D.

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 am

I agree smaller govt is a great idea, start with the military, if you want protecting why should others have to pay for it.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LCDFlight

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 am

Greed, criminality and extreme narcissism are bad no matter if they are on the far right or the far left. I find that both the far right and far left attract these defective personalities. I don’t think the government should do much beyond the basics, maybe fund a basic healthcare system, nothing fancy. Much cheaper than what the US has today.

c933103

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:20 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Are you aware of the globalization of the US economy following WW2? Do you think GE could help the Japanese build nuclear plants, Raytheon could sell missile systems to Israel and India, and Hilton could build hotels throughout Latin America all without quiet assistance from DC? Read more on the CIA's history in Latin America and SE Asia. A critical arm of anti-communist foreign policy was simultaneous expansion of US service industries and infrastructure projects throughout the region. And then we're not even onto the topic of R&D.

But globalization is much much more than just US interact with developing countries
A placeholder line

Aaron747

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 pm

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

But globalization is much much more than just US interact with developing countries

It is now, of course, but you're oversimplifying. I'm talking about post-WW2 link between global US government and US corporate expansion.

skyservice_330

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:30 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Unfortunate these comments don't gain any significant traction.

Why should they? Beyond the fact you agree with them.

'Basketball Player from 25 years ago has a political opinion.'

Everyone has a political opinion.. including Charles Barkley.

c933103

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It is now, of course, but you're oversimplifying. I'm talking about post-WW2 link between global US government and US corporate expansion.

Yet the trend and correlation between expanding government influence and globalization doesn't seems to see any reversal in recent years
A placeholder line

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:41 pm

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Yet the trend and correlation between expanding government influence and globalization doesn't seems to see any reversal in recent years

Correlation != causation

c933103

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Correlation != causation

Then what's the causation?
A placeholder line

Aaron747

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:51 pm

c933103 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Correlation != causation

The new status quo.

flipdewaf

Charles Barkley slams politicians: They 'divide and conquer' to keep power

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 am

c933103 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Correlation != causation

Dunno.

Fred

Jalap

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:47 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Anyways, wouldn't you agree having less politicians in our lives all of this can be mitigated? and what Barkley says can be reduced ?

I don't see how having less politicians would mitigate the 'divide and conquer" attitude?
It would be exactly the same. Has nothing to do with government size, all with what seems to be the best way to get elected.
Govenment isn't the problem, politicians are.
And basically, people are the problem. Because they don't see through all that populist crap.

Aesma

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:54 pm

It's the job of politicians to tackle issues. If minorities are discriminated and politicians make changing that part of their platform, I don't really see how it can be criticized.

Now, tackling non existing issues like voter fraud, or white people discrimination, yes, that's playing with fire for power, with no regard for the consequences.

I'm not saying the politicians defending minorities are perfect, doing it right or not abusing their cause, but at least the cause is sound.

Not dealing with real issues is also a problem, of course, like letting rich people run the country.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:36 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Unfortunate these comments don't gain any significant traction.

Why should they? Beyond the fact you agree with them.

'Basketball Player from 25 years ago has a political opinion.'

Everyone has a political opinion.. including Charles Barkley.

Yah I thought it was "shut up and dribble"...

AirWorthy99 wrote:

That's nice. Doesn't really do much to acknowledge reality or history but yay nice words. Reminds me of Rodney King's "can't we all just get along?"
I don't take responsibility at all

seb146

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:02 pm

Wasn't he at one point a Republican? I thought I remember he had been donating to the RNC and possibly campaigning for Republican candidates?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!