Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Trump Campaign Reportedly Forced To Refund More Than $122 Million To Donors

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:33 pm

I am just shocked. Shocked!

"Former President Donald Trump's reelection campaign issued a staggering sum of $122.7 million in refunds to supporters in 2020, giving back nearly 11% of the money it raised, according to an investigative report published by the New York Times on Saturday based on an analysis of Federal Election Commission filings"

"According to the Times, several banks and one of the nation's larger credit-card companies confirmed that, at one point late in 2020, these cases accounted for up to 3% of all fraud complaints received."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... 0d19b358a3
I don't take responsibility at all

Dutchy

Re: Trump Campaign Reportedly Forced To Refund More Than $122 Million To Donors

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:41 pm

Yes, read about this in the news. Quite astonishing, you ask your supporters to donate money and deceit the very same people to have a "consent" checkmark on to donate the same amount every month or donate twice as much. Read about someone who wanted to donate 500USD and ended up "donating" 3.000USD leaving him with no money to pay for his home.

I guess they are cured from believing the Trump campaign ever again.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

casinterest

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:

"Former President Donald Trump's reelection campaign issued a staggering sum of $122.7 million in refunds to supporters in 2020, giving back nearly 11% of the money it raised, according to an investigative report published by the New York Times on Saturday based on an analysis of Federal Election Commission filings"

"According to the Times, several banks and one of the nation's larger credit-card companies confirmed that, at one point late in 2020, these cases accounted for up to 3% of all fraud complaints received."

I have to wonder if the amount is higher and people just haven't claimed or realized it yet?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

ltbewr

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:46 pm

Sadly in the USA, there is frequent use of 'opt-out' in fine print or hidden not 'opt-in' of continuing purchases of a product, or here a political campaign donation. People do have a right to obtain refunds if an error made or per federal elections, general federal or state laws, such opt-outs are hidden or fraudulent or against law. Credit card companies may also take action if there is fraud or account holders complain and have to make refunds. Credit and debit card issuers then seek reimbursement or charge backs to the Trump campaign, even suspend or terminate being able to accept their credit cards. Guess Trump won't get more money to pay off his debts to the Russians.

seb146

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Yes, read about this in the news. Quite astonishing, you ask your supporters to donate money and deceit the very same people to have a "consent" checkmark on to donate the same amount every month or donate twice as much. Read about someone who wanted to donate 500USD and ended up "donating" 3.000USD leaving him with no money to pay for his home.

Doubtful. They will justify it with things like "well, it was just that one time" or "it was an accounting error" or "it was someone else's fault" or something so their lord and savior is not blamed in any way. MAGAs are good at that.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

johns624

Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Doubtful. They will justify it with things like "well, it was just that one time" or "it was an accounting error" or "it was someone else's fault" or something so their lord and savior is not blamed in any way. MAGAs are good at that.
You forgot the most obvious "it's for Donny, so it's for a good cause".

tommy1808

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:14 am

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You forgot the most obvious "it's for Donny, so it's for a good cause".

well, at least this guy went from "yeah, giving 990 USD to Trump sounds like a good idea to me" to "Bandits!":

Salon wrote:
"It felt like it was a scam," said Russell Blatt, whose brother Stacy in hospice care was "opted in" to monthly payments after making what he thought was a one-time contribution to Trump, then was confused why his utility checks started bouncing. Victor Amelio, a 78-year-old retiree in California, donated $990 in September via the Republican portal WinRed, and before he knew it the "opt in" he had never checked debited $8,000 of his money to the Trump campaign. "Bandits!" he told The Times. "I can't afford to pay all that damn money.

https://www.salon.com/2021/04/03/bandit ... n_partner/

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

art

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:37 am

"It felt like it was a scam," said Russell Blatt, whose brother Stacy in hospice care was "opted in" to monthly payments after making what he thought was a one-time contribution to Trump, then was confused why his utility checks started bouncing. Victor Amelio, a 78-year-old retiree in California, donated $990 in September via the Republican portal WinRed, and before he knew it the "opt in" he had never checked debited $8,000 of his money to the Trump campaign. "Bandits!" he told The Times. "I can't afford to pay all that damn money.

Sad thing is that US law appears to allow deceitful "opt in" of this nature to take place. That gives con artists/don artists the opportunity to defraud people and, guess what, they embrace that opportunity with unbridled enthusiasm.

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:15 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:

So in the end Donald Trump and his accomplices are nothing more then simple thieves? Can't say I'm all that surprised.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

casinterest

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:19 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

So in the end Donald Trump and his accomplices are nothing more then simple thieves? Can't say I'm all that surprised.

The GOP House fundraising arm uses Gaslighting and verbal abuse to get folks to donate .

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-house-fundra ... 41091.html

The National Republican Congressional Committee debuted a bright-yellow pre-checked recurring donation box on its donation page with a startling ultimatum.

The message from House Republicans' campaign arm, which on Wednesday caught the eye of many reporters, warns people that if they opt-out of recurring donations and "UNCHECK this box, we'll have to tell Trump you're a DEFECTOR & sided with the Dems."

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

tommy1808

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:57 pm

casinterest wrote:
The GOP House fundraising arm uses Gaslighting and verbal abuse to get folks to donate .

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-house-fundra ... 41091.html

The National Republican Congressional Committee debuted a bright-yellow pre-checked recurring donation box on its donation page with a startling ultimatum.

The message from House Republicans' campaign arm, which on Wednesday caught the eye of many reporters, warns people that if they opt-out of recurring donations and "UNCHECK this box, we'll have to tell Trump you're a DEFECTOR & sided with the Dems."

The GOP in full cult mode....

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Aesma

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pm

So that's why they were chanting "stop the steal" ! It all makes sense now.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams