Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

noviorbis77
Topic Author

Prince Philip has died

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:08 am

Sad news to report. Prince Philip has died age 99.

RIP

noviorbis77
Topic Author

Re: Prince Philip has died

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:10 am

OA260

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:24 am

RIP I was watching a program on ITV and they stopped and made the announcement then played the national anthem .

ltbewr

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:36 am

I will be interesting how his funeral will be carried out, especially due to Covid-19 restrictions. Of course the biggest media attention will be if/how Prince Harry and his wife attend, taking it away from Prince Philip. I suspect the funeral, as per his wishes and Covid-19 restrictions will be relatively small, no or few foreign guests, no open viewing for the public to pay respects (like done with the Queen Mother at her death in 2002). Then there will be the anti-monarchy garbage media that will bring out his sometimes dumb-racist comments but they will be put into their place by the majority of Brits. At least he led a full, long and honorable life. That is how he should be remembered.
EDIT : adding info as to the likely funeral plans considering the Covid-19 pandemic. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pri ... 54485.html
Last edited by ltbewr on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aesma

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:56 am

Why being anti-monarchy would be garbage ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:08 pm

Aesma wrote:
Why being anti-monarchy would be garbage ?

A monarchy is an outdated system in a democracy, it is not the time to talk about that when a royal dies.

Still sad to see that Britain loses one of the members to its monarchy.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

bennett123

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Actually having a constitutional monarchy has worked fairly well.

You have a non party political head of state.

The politicians all secretly hate it. Particularly because she is more popular than they are.

cpd

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:36 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Actually having a constitutional monarchy has worked fairly well.

You have a non party political head of state.

The politicians all secretly hate it. Particularly because she is more popular than they are.

And she is evidently pretty clever. Anyhow, that’s a discussion for another time.

RIP Prince Phillip.

He lived to a great age and seemed very sharp and also appeared to get around quite well.
Last edited by cpd on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scbriml

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:33 pm

Sad news for the Queen, but hardly surprising given how he looked when he left hospital.

ltbewr wrote:
Then there will be the anti-monarchy garbage media that will bring out his sometimes dumb-racist comments but they will be put into their place by the majority of Brits. At least he led a full, long and honorable life. That is how he should be remembered.

I don't think the majority of Brits feel about Prince Philip the way you think we do. The Queen would be a different matter entirely.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

OzarkD9S

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 pm

I'm kinda gonna miss the old sea dog. Always good for a salty one-liner, no matter how politically incorrect some of them were.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

A101

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pm

RIP

A very good innings

May he have fair winds and following seas

Bravo Zulu Sir

NIKV69

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:10 pm

I am not a fan of the Royalty thing but this man served his country with honor and grace and he deserves respect. RIP.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Revelation

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:50 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
I'm kinda gonna miss the old sea dog. Always good for a salty one-liner, no matter how politically incorrect some of them were.

That's what we have comedians for, isn't it?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

OzarkD9S

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Revelation wrote:

OzarkD9S wrote:

That's what we have comedians for, isn't it?

Not all comedians are in show business. Of course one could argue that's exactly what the British Monarchy is these days.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

Arion640

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:11 pm

A very sad day for Britain. We have lost a legend.

God speed sir.

cpd

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 am

Arion640 wrote:

God speed sir.

From Sky News: https://youtu.be/bfBESXgJno0

I never managed to meet him. But he just seemed so straight forward, no-nonsense.

Quite a character as well.

OA260

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:29 am

cpd wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

God speed sir.

From Sky News: https://youtu.be/bfBESXgJno0

I never managed to meet him. But he just seemed so straight forward, no-nonsense.

Quite a character as well.

The BBC did a good documentary last night many things I had forgotten about his early life. His Mother was an inspiration also and he enriched the lives of many through the decades and even the youth of today through his charities.

The Duke of Edinburgh award will be Prince Philip’s greatest legacy

In 65 years of public life, Prince Philip undertook 22,219 solo engagements, gave 5,496 speeches and wrote 14 books.

But one of his greatest legacies will be the establishment of the Duke of Edinburgh Award that is now going strong in 144 countries.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/09/the-duke ... 39487/amp/

GDB

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:33 am

Though some of his 'gaffes' caused a stir, in part it was with all these official events as consort, a way of him albeit in a sometimes in a clumsy war of 'breaking the ice' with all the formality these things tended to have.
A very active role in the RN in WW2, including at Cape Matapan in the Med in 1941 on the Battleship HMS Valiant, post war he was seen as a high flyer potentially to the top, as First Sea Lord. However when he married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, probably thinking it would 10 or 15 years until she became Queen, it was of course just 5 years, which curtailed his Naval career.

The award for young people started by him is as stated his most direct legacy to the public.

I doubt the funeral will be a big state affair what with Covid, the virus and the death toll from it would to put it mildly not send the right message.

Though around 20% in the UK tend to want to see a Republic and many abroad cannot understand a Constitutional Monarchy today, i think the 'outdated' part as regards the UK is not them but the electoral system, certainly the European Constitutional Monarchies are not the backwards nations some like to label them, certainly in Europe they are usually the most socially liberal ones, the major social reforms in the UK in the mid/late 60's were many years ahead of some of the European Republics.
There is no linkage in other words.

Arion640

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:41 pm

GDB wrote:
Though some of his 'gaffes' caused a stir, in part it was with all these official events as consort, a way of him albeit in a sometimes in a clumsy war of 'breaking the ice' with all the formality these things tended to have.
A very active role in the RN in WW2, including at Cape Matapan in the Med in 1941 on the Battleship HMS Valiant, post war he was seen as a high flyer potentially to the top, as First Sea Lord. However when he married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, probably thinking it would 10 or 15 years until she became Queen, it was of course just 5 years, which curtailed his Naval career.

The award for young people started by him is as stated his most direct legacy to the public.

I doubt the funeral will be a big state affair what with Covid, the virus and the death toll from it would to put it mildly not send the right message.

Though around 20% in the UK tend to want to see a Republic and many abroad cannot understand a Constitutional Monarchy today, i think the 'outdated' part as regards the UK is not them but the electoral system, certainly the European Constitutional Monarchies are not the backwards nations some like to label them, certainly in Europe they are usually the most socially liberal ones, the major social reforms in the UK in the mid/late 60's were many years ahead of some of the European Republics.

A good thing would be reforming our electoral system and getting rid of the house of lords.

Dutchy

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:50 pm

GDB wrote:

Monarchies are outdated, certainly in a liberal democracy, like the European ones. There is indeed no linkage, so why keep an arbitrary family prisoner in a golden cage? It is undemocratic to have a public role like the symbolic head of state inherited like that. I couldn't be the head of state - even if I wanted to - just because I wasn't born in the right family. Nobody would create a Royal family if one country wouldn't have it.

GDB

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
GDB wrote:

Monarchies are outdated, certainly in a liberal democracy, like the European ones. There is indeed no linkage, so why keep an arbitrary family prisoner in a golden cage? It is undemocratic to have a public role like the symbolic head of state inherited like that. I couldn't be the head of state - even if I wanted to - just because I wasn't born in the right family. Nobody would create a Royal family if one country wouldn't have it.

I cannot speak for the Netherlands but swearing an oath of service to a non political entity such as the Monarch, for those joining the armed forces, police, various other organizations, is preferable to doing so for a political figure.
The Monarch, represents in person, the nation as a whole.
Not a party.
We were a Republic for a time in the 17th Century, replacing a despotic monarch with essentially another even worse one, who just did not wear a crown.
Once Cromwell was dead the restored Monarch served at the pleasure of Parliament, not the other way around, which had lost the deposed Monarch his head.

Britain is a country of evolution not revolution, our nearest neighbor is on it's 5th Republic, that does not impede change, in the UK there have been spurts of huge reform, ending slavery within the British sphere of influence, well ahead of the nations of revolution with all their slogans across the channel and pond, the great reform acts extending the franchise, the major Liberal reforms of 1906-11, the major transformations of the Attlee government, the Jenkins social reforms of the 60's to name the obvious ones, often well ahead of the more 'enlightened' nations formed of revolution.

You are right, if we were starting today we would not do it this way, nations with long and complex histories of evolution cannot really work like that, in any case there are many things you can say that about, well beyond the constitutional arrangements of a nation.
The fact is, the British Parliament if it choose to, could draft a law abolishing the Monarchy and there is nothing the Monarchy could do about it really. But what elected politicians would choose, if current polling is right, go ahead with something around 80% of the public do not want?
There would have to be a referendum, for such a massive constitutional change, I really don't think the Republicans would win.

par13del

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:15 pm

GDB wrote:
I cannot speak for the Netherlands but swearing an oath of service to a non political entity such as the Monarch, for those joining the armed forces, police, various other organizations, is preferable to doing so for a political figure.
Not a party.

All well and good, but is it only ceremonial? Does the monarch have the authority to tell the armed forces for example, not to participate in any armed conflict that the elected government decides to participate in? If the monarch gives consent based on recommendation from the government, did they really consult and heed advise or is it just for ceremonial purposes in which case it is just a rubber stamp?
In Republics where the head of state is an elected official with certain powers, constitutional crises can occur when there is a difference of opinion, the current state in the UK avoids such, in my opinion, mainly due to the whole issue of authority over things national being ceremonial.
If it works for the Brits that's fine, to each his own, if they ever want to change it we all hope and pray it will be a participative change.

noviorbis77
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:
GDB wrote:

I completely agree.

Is it fair on anyone? Prince Philip devoted his life to public service. Did a huge amount for charity, for the UK and the Commonwealth. It was expected of him.

But for all the good he did, he could never do the things we take for granted. Go to the shops, a pub or anything without the press and people paying attention to him.

Better for obscurity.

Now is it not the time to discuss the role of the Monarchy in the future, but there is a time when the debate is needed.

Aesma

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:17 pm

GDB : In France you swear an oath to the Republic not the president.And the Republic is not just the current political system, it's the country, its values, etc. If the president decides to go against such values, then public officials can go against the president, for the Republic.

As for the argument that an unelected head of state is helpful, seeing how divisive Brexit is, how it might lead to the disintegration of the UK, and how the Queen has done nothing about it, I'd say the argument holds little water.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ltbewr

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Apparently the BBC has been getting a lot of complaints of the repetitive and continuous attention to the recently deceased Prince Philip, excluding all other programing. https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bbc-s ... r-BB1fuzyI
Of course if they didn't they would get garbage from many. A no-win situation.

johns624

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:27 pm

I expect his death to hasten the decline of the queen. That often happens when couples have been married that long.

GDB

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Aesma wrote:
GDB : In France you swear an oath to the Republic not the president.And the Republic is not just the current political system, it's the country, its values, etc. If the president decides to go against such values, then public officials can go against the president, for the Republic.

As for the argument that an unelected head of state is helpful, seeing how divisive Brexit is, how it might lead to the disintegration of the UK, and how the Queen has done nothing about it, I'd say the argument holds little water.

That is how it is now, however after your Monarchy was otherthrown it was replaced by a succession of absolute rulers that just did not call themselves 'King'. The most famous of which we had to put on an Island, after his reign of warfare was ended.
There was not going to be any great call for abolishing by then a constitutional monarchy when just across the channel, the result for a time, far from any fine slogans, there was a 'great terror' on the European continent well before Stalin.

As for the other, that was pure politics, a weak PM out of step with much of the membership of his party, you might as well argue that being a Republic lost France Algeria, (which remember was seen as part of France by colonists and many in France itself).
That almost tore your nation apart, like I said, you have evolved too, being on version 5.

This amused me, Phillip was right about a certain Australian (now American);
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -the-times

GDB

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:17 pm

par13del wrote:
GDB wrote:
Not a party.

All well and good, but is it only ceremonial? Does the monarch have the authority to tell the armed forces for example, not to participate in any armed conflict that the elected government decides to participate in? If the monarch gives consent based on recommendation from the government, did they really consult and heed advise or is it just for ceremonial purposes in which case it is just a rubber stamp?
In Republics where the head of state is an elected official with certain powers, constitutional crises can occur when there is a difference of opinion, the current state in the UK avoids such, in my opinion, mainly due to the whole issue of authority over things national being ceremonial.
If it works for the Brits that's fine, to each his own, if they ever want to change it we all hope and pray it will be a participative change.

The issue there is that about the only situation when the Monarch could 'take charge' are so extreme as to be meaningless, which is put down to the stability the institution is designed to create.
If say a government cancelled with no good reason holding a general election beyond when it was due or cancelled them entirely they would be 'reminded' by the Monarch who they swear their oath to. As do institutions that I mentioned.
The Monarch is in that role the guardian of Parliamentary Sovereignty, which does not mean a one party state with no democratic mandate.

(The only time an election was cancelled was one due in 1940, not possible what with the situation at the time but the Churchill Coalition, with heavy membership of the main opposition party and with the agreement that this would last only until the end of the war, though by elections were held, the government were not immune to attack or censure in Parliament).

Gew

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:19 pm

Really sad, may he rest in peace.
So close to a three digit count, and all.

Arion640

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:01 pm

Aesma wrote:

The queen as it stands is politically neutral. There’s nothing she can do.

If she came out for brexit, that would be wrong. If she came out against brexit, that would be wrong.

What do you expect? The UK is not france and i’m actually glad it isn’t.

If the UK wants to get rid of the monarch then that’s fine. If they don’t until then it’s business as usual.

Arion640

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:10 pm

par13del wrote:
GDB wrote:
Not a party.

I wouldn’t want an elected president as we could end up with a clown in charge, like the US did. Imagine a president nigel farage.

The monarchy are well respected round the world and have approval ratings higher than any politician ever has.

Arion640

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
GDB wrote:

Would you vote to abolish your own?

I actually agree it’s undemocratic and a bit weird. But I wouldn’t wanted the queen scrapped just to be replaced by another politician. No thank you.

Dutchy

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:06 am

Arion640 wrote:

Yes, without hesitation.

Arion640 wrote:
I actually agree it’s undemocratic and a bit weird. But I wouldn’t wanted the queen scrapped just to be replaced by another politician. No thank you.

Why not? In Germany, Austria, Italy, and Israel for instance it works just fine. The president there is more a symbolic figure, above the Mondaine political life. Not like the French, Turkish, Russian or American were they actually have a lot of powers.

Arion640

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:27 am

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Yes, without hesitation.

Arion640 wrote:

Why not? In Germany, Austria, Italy, and Israel for instance it works just fine. The president there is more a symbolic figure, above the Mondaine political life. Not like the French, Turkish, Russian or American were they actually have a lot of powers.

And the Monarchy we have works just fine for us. In the UK, Belgium, Norway, Kingdom of the Netherlands, Spain and Jordan for instance it works just fine.

Our Queen has spent a lifetime representing our country abroad in a classy and dignified way. Much like the Monarch of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Until a point in time where the majority of the public no longer wants the monarchy, there’s no point worry about it.

SQ22

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:47 am

Can we please continue the discussion if monarchies are outdated or not in a separate thread? Thanks.

Braybuddy

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:21 pm

I think I learned more about Prince Philip from The Crown than anything I've read or seen previously. What a fascinating life and background he had! It was a long, interesting and unusual -- to say the least -- journey from Corfu to Windsor Castle, and there was much, much more to him than the grumpy, gaffe-prone character he was often portrayed as, sadly.

GDB

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 am

A detailed obit from a paper not known for it's unquestioning support of the Royal Family and all the better for it, (as I noted in a link up thread he loathed Murdoch and his faux patriotic papers), revealing a man with wider interests and concerns beyond the bluff old sea dog of the popular imagination, that was a part of who he was of course but not all;
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... h-obituary

cpd

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Interview with him on WW2, service in the Navy and various things:

https://youtu.be/pX5UNcFUNN4

So straightforward, no fuss or fanfare. Interesting interview.

Arion640

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:02 am

GDB wrote:
A detailed obit from a paper not known for it's unquestioning support of the Royal Family and all the better for it, (as I noted in a link up thread he loathed Murdoch and his faux patriotic papers), revealing a man with wider interests and concerns beyond the bluff old sea dog of the popular imagination, that was a part of who he was of course but not all;
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... h-obituary

It really did surprise me the diverse hobbies and interests he had.

Aesma

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:35 pm

It's been several times now that I hear or read that he was so great in the RN that people expected him to become the youngest admiral, also to become Lord of the Seas or whatever it's called.

Is there any truth to that ? I'm not talking about his merits, just the fact that he left the service so young, how could we now how his career would turn out after several more decades ? Or is part of it that he was noble and under the wing of Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma ?

OA260

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Fab day in Windsor and what a wonderful send off . First time ever Greek state TV is broadcasting a Royal funeral live.

cjg225

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm

cpd wrote:
Interview with him on WW2, service in the Navy and various things:

https://youtu.be/pX5UNcFUNN4

So straightforward, no fuss or fanfare. Interesting interview.

Thanks for sharing that. Reminded me to watch it. Someone had sent it to me several days ago but I forgot.

Really good video. Great storyteller.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Pellegrine

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 pm

It was a great service, very touching.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:39 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Yes, without hesitation.

Arion640 wrote:

And the Monarchy we have works just fine for us. In the UK, Belgium, Norway, Kingdom of the Netherlands, Spain and Jordan for instance it works just fine.

Our Queen has spent a lifetime representing our country abroad in a classy and dignified way. Much like the Monarch of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Until a point in time where the majority of the public no longer wants the monarchy, there’s no point worry about it.

It works just fine in NZ too. I don’t see any need to replace The Monarchy. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Aesma

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:20 am

Aside from the UK, other countries with the Queen as head of state basically don't have a head of state. It's the PM, they just don't admit it.

cpd

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:26 am

Pellegrine wrote:

For those who didn't see it, here is the whole service:

https://youtu.be/mCY4b6GGkb4

I don't watch much TV at all so I tend to miss these things.

Commodore Guy Holthouse AM, was the only Australian representative there. Princess Anne looked so devastated.

GDB

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 am

Aesma wrote:
It's been several times now that I hear or read that he was so great in the RN that people expected him to become the youngest admiral, also to become Lord of the Seas or whatever it's called.

Is there any truth to that ? I'm not talking about his merits, just the fact that he left the service so young, how could we now how his career would turn out after several more decades ? Or is part of it that he was noble and under the wing of Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma ?

It's First Sea Lord, given Phillip was aged 21 the youngest of his rank in 1942, the RN like all services. which was at mass mobilisation with probably the largest number of personnel in it's history, when he had no real Royal connections, plus post war he was rapidly climbing the command ladder, then the answer is likely yes. He was headed to the top.
When in 1952 his wife became Queen, much sooner than expected then he could no longer have a full time career in the RN.

If you mean the UK has a hands off approach to the governments of the Commonwealth, yes, so unlike the continued French military presence in the 'former' colonies in mainly Africa, usually propping up pliable dictators decades after their 'independence'.
Do really want me to link the then Australian PM Paul Keating's robust, cutting and sarcastically very funny objections to French nuclear testing still going on in the 1990's in their SE Asian colonies? It's on You Tube.

GDB

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:54 am

Mountbatten is often cited as this hand behind Phillip's rise, his did help to look after Phillip when he arrived effectively stateless in the UK, including encouraging a Naval Career.

Though in WW2 Mountbatten had his own commands, at sea then as head of Combined Operations, later SE Asia, so not responsible for general promotions.

Phillip did end up in one of Mountbatten's major areas of command in the Pacific, though by then as the European war was running down that's where the bulk of the RN were headed anyway.
Prior to that, after his role in mullering Mussolini at Matapan, Phillip's commands were in escorts, some in the Med but then spending time in the less headlining grabbing but vital role of escorting coastal convoys, vital since most carried coal which then was over 90% of power generation, coastal meaning in range of not only U-Boats but also tactical bombers, E-Boats and mines.

Mountbatten did see himself as a 'fixer', however once at war there was no time for that kind of thing.

proest

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:01 am

cpd wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Commodore Guy Holthouse AM, was the only Australian representative there. Princess Anne looked so devastated.

1.5 hours of proof that the BBC is still the best broadcaster in the world. Wow, this was very well thought out and perfectly executed.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:52 pm

proest wrote:
cpd wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

1.5 hours of proof that the BBC is still the best broadcaster in the world. Wow, this was very well thought out and perfectly executed.

The full broadcast was 4 hours with lots of interview from a studio before the ceremony. I've only seen the first hour so far but I do agree with you.

Sir David Attenborough was on of those who were a guest in the studio and when looking at him and listening to him it didn't really seem that he will be 95 in 3 weeks.

Entire BBC broadcast/stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL55C3pgiEo
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente