Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma

Re: Prince Philip has died

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:30 pm

GDB wrote:
If you mean the UK has a hands off approach to the governments of the Commonwealth, yes, so unlike the continued French military presence in the 'former' colonies in mainly Africa, usually propping up pliable dictators decades after their 'independence'.
Do really want me to link the then Australian PM Paul Keating's robust, cutting and sarcastically very funny objections to French nuclear testing still going on in the 1990's in their SE Asian colonies? It's on You Tube.

I don't just mean the hands off approach, I mean they literally don't have a head of state, since the Queen doesn't leave the UK anymore.

French military presence in Africa : it's complicated. When we're not there stuff happens, like in Mali. When we don't act then we're accused of being accomplices to what's happening, like in Rwanda.

As for French Polynesia (or any other overseas territory), people there are full French citizens, they vote for the French president, for senators and national assembly members. They also have the right to self determination and can leave France if they wish. So far, they have chosen to stay French.

If you have to make nuclear tests, it makes sense to make them in one of the most isolated places on the planet, don't you think ? In the middle of the biggest ocean. New Zealand is more than 4700 kilometres away. By comparison the whole of Europe is closer than that from one of the USSR test site, Novaya Zemlya, where the Tsar Bomba was detonated.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Arion640

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Aesma wrote:
Aside from the UK, other countries with the Queen as head of state basically don't have a head of state. It's the PM, they just don't admit it.

I mean It depends. We just view the queen as the queen here and the PM is the PM. I wouldn’t really view the queen as head of state.

GDB

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 am

Arion640 wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Aside from the UK, other countries with the Queen as head of state basically don't have a head of state. It's the PM, they just don't admit it.

I mean It depends. We just view the queen as the queen here and the PM is the PM. I wouldn’t really view the queen as head of state.

She is though, constitutionally, as will be her successor, the issue is more PM's who think and act as if they are head of state.
Which became apparent with our first female PM, who it was reported did not have good relations with the Queen, in part due to her damaging the Commonwealth over the issue of sanctions on the then racist, minority run South Africa. Thatcher defended it as 'helping the poorest', which was the majority African population, (who were calling for even tighter sanctions), when it was well known that Dennis Thatcher was a former executive with Burmah Oil and still had significant financial interests in it's operations including ones in South Africa.

Then we had in 1982 the Falklands Victory Parade, as is known, the armed forces swear their oath of service to the Monarch, not whoever is PM at the time. Despite this the PM essentially elbowed the real head of the armed forces aside to take her place.
(Also making sure the some of the injured who wanted to take part were kept away from the cameras).
He's a disgraced figure now, though in 1982 as a helicopter pilot, Prince Andrew fought in the Falklands War, (which is why the opposition claimed his ship HMS Invincible was damaged or sunk numerous times, aside from it being one of the two carriers so major targets anyway), Thatcher even asked the Queen if she wanted Andrew taken off the ship before it sailed, we don't know her response, likely she thought her PM had grown a second head, the very thought of it!
(Of course Thatcher's own son was an thick, unpleasant Harrow 'educated' article like Laurence Fox, the services wouldn't have had him even if he wanted to join).

Since then we have had a succession of 'command' PM's, not all of them since Thatcher though it's been a trend since then.

Braybuddy

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:38 pm

I remember seeing a documentary on this tribe in Vanuatu years ago, thinking it was some sort of spoof or April Fool's joke. One of the little quirks in life which makes the world so wonderful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O9OsH1 ... orningPost