Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Strange business names

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Sometimes from mergers, takeovers, spinoffs, marketing think tanks, companies take on new names, often made up letter salads perhaps by those on bad drugs or trying to avoid names too much like another company's, hopefully not an offensive word in another language to bury a name with a bad connection changes in what they do or a CEO's whim. The latest is the spin off of IBM's IT business with the strange name of Kyndryl. Some https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/business ... index.html
This article notes some other strange corporate branding names like Alphabet for Google groups of brand companies. Some do stick like Verizon for communications services in the USA but others like Oath for AOL and Yahoo! after Verizon bought them, but later renamed to Verizon Media. Mondelz for former Nabisco company after a buyout.
Beyond those in the article, are there some corporate names that are strange, especially to those other languages to you?

seb146

Re: Strange business names

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:11 pm

I was hired at a call center for Verizon just after their merger with GTE and some other companies. They chose "verizon" as their name by blending the Latin "veritas" (truth) with "horizon". During training, we had to sit through this cringy training video complete with a feel-good power ballad and "inspirational" pictures. It was magical for all the wrong reasons.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

T18

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 pm

Fifth Third Bank will always sound made up to me.
I'm sure if I think hard enough I know a few other really odd ones but none pop up right now.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Newark727

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:11 pm

Somewhere in rural Maine or New Hampshire I once drove past the "I Will Cut You Hair Salon."

Alias1024

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:17 am

There’s a restaurant in Barcelona that I’ll have to modify for community standards: My F***ing Restaurant

Another odd one is a window treatments company called ‘I’m The Blind Lady’
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

cpd

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:20 am

Maybe strange in most countries, but probably not so strange in the home country:

Doktor Ingenieur honoris causa Ferdinand Porsche Aktiengesellschaft.

seb146 wrote:
During training, we had to sit through this cringy training video complete with a feel-good power ballad and "inspirational" pictures. It was magical for all the wrong reasons.

Did you do the cringeworthy team-building exercise that was chosen because it was the favourite activity of the boss?

stlgph

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:10 am

Goin' Postal
Kum & Go
Super 8 - makes sense if you know the origins but those didn't last long
Couche-Tard has caught the attention of a lot of my non-french speaking friends

My favorite - David Letterman's Worldwide Pants
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

afcjets

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 am

T18 wrote:
I'm sure if I think hard enough I know a few other really odd ones but none pop up right now.

I can't believe people say Aunt Jemima syrup and Uncle Ben's rice sound racist but don't seem to have an issue with a bank naming itself the inverse of Three Fifths Bank. I agree it sounds made up because it makes no sense which makes it seem even worse.

afcjets

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:48 am

I also thought Spirit was a bad name choice for an airline when they launched and for years afterwards. Who wants to fly a new and ultra low cost airline they've never heard of before that names themselves after dead people?

afcjets

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:03 am

Also worth mentioning is Reno Air. I get that was their base but very few US cities have or have had airlines named after them. "The biggest little city in the world" (which is also kinda a joke, no offense) certainly didn't need one. Las Vegas Air would have been a way better name IMO even if their "hub" was Reno.

afcjets

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 am

stlgph wrote:
Kum & Go

Was it an adult bookstore? I certainly hope so.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 am

afcjets wrote:
T18 wrote:

I can't believe people say Aunt Jemima syrup and Uncle Ben's rice sound racist but don't seem to have an issue with a bank naming itself the inverse of Three Fifths Bank. I agree it sounds made up because it makes no sense which makes it seem even worse.

The name of FifthThird bank is due to the merger of 2 banks, Third National Bank and Fifth National Bank in Ohio in 1908. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Third_Bank

Of course some airline names are good for a giggle. Wizz Air is likely the strangest to English speakers.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:20 am

General Motors & General Electric are strange names in my ESL book. What's so general about the cars GM make, or the appliances GE make?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

seb146

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 am

cpd wrote:
seb146 wrote:
During training, we had to sit through this cringy training video complete with a feel-good power ballad and "inspirational" pictures. It was magical for all the wrong reasons.

Did you do the cringeworthy team-building exercise that was chosen because it was the favourite activity of the boss?

We didn't have any team building exercises but the training crew kept telling us time and again how well we all worked together and they never saw any other group mesh and be as involved with each other as we were.

seb146

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:30 am

afcjets wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Kum & Go

It is a very popular chain of gas stations across the upper Midwest and parts of the Rockies. I saw my first one in Plentywood, Montana. Hand to God.

Lukas757

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:17 am

[threeid][/threeid]
Alias1024 wrote:
There’s a restaurant in Barcelona that I’ll have to modify for community standards: My F***ing Restaurant

Another odd one is a window treatments company called ‘I’m The Blind Lady’

There was a FOK Bar in the Barceloneta part of Barcelona, with a lot of bad references in the menue as well. It has changed the name last time I was there.

afcjets

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:59 am

seb146 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Kum & Go

It is a very popular chain of gas stations across the upper Midwest and parts of the Rockies. I saw my first one in Plentywood, Montana. Hand to God.

Oh that makes sense. I bet somewhere there's a hair salon with the name Blow and Go too ;)

DL_Mech

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 am

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

Braybuddy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:21 am

Some unusual ones I've come across:

:shock:

And there's a car towing company in Camelford in the UK with the wonderful name of Camel Tow :lol:

WIederling

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
General Motors & General Electric are strange names in my ESL book. What's so general about the cars GM make, or the appliances GE make?

Hehe:
"International union of engineers" covering the US and Canada.

Catholic Church ( with "catholic" ’= most common ) ... and at the time a minority position.:-)

"General" is associated with "doing everything", right?

Like General Hospital vs Children's Hospital, Cancer Clinik ..

General Electrics started out as an "everything" company.
compare
AEG : Allgemeine Elektrizitäts Gesellschaft ( making all and sundry )

sometimes people are unaware of the history of a company because they only look at the products
said company is known for in their personal experience. ( Nokia, Samsung, Fuji come up here.)
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:48 am

WIederling wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

On GM:
created a s holding for various automobile/motor related companies:
Durant formed the General Motors Company in 1908 as a holding company, with partner Charles Stewart Mott, borrowing a naming convention from General Electric. GM's first acquisition was Buick, which Durant already owned, then Oldsmobile on November 12, 1908. In 1909 Durant brought in Cadillac, Elmore, Oakland (predecessor of Pontiac), and the Reliance Motor Truck Company of Owosso, Michigan and the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company of Pontiac, Michigan (predecessors of GMC).

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors#History
Murphy is an optimist

KFTG

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 am

Taking a "Southwest Airlines" flight from Orlando to Jamaica, or Orlando to Boston.

WIederling

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:45 am

T18 wrote:

Third Fifth Bank would be less dissonant. something smooth like "seven of nine" :-)
Murphy is an optimist

Palop

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 pm

the Muff Liquor Company gives me a little giggle.
https://www.themuffliquorcompany.com/

chimborazo

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:17 pm

There is a “Wok Right Inn” Chinese takeaway near me which always causes a smile on passing.

Singh Brothers Plumbers: “You’ve had the cowboys, now use the Indians” written on the van. Was told about this by a Sikh friend... not sure if it was actually real as it was a long time ago but do remember having a good laugh about it.

chimborazo

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Some unusual ones I've come across:

:shock:

And there's a car towing company in Camelford in the UK with the wonderful name of Camel Tow :lol:

Not sure what’s so shocking about Jihad... it’s a common Islamic name. I work on and off with a guy in Jordan called Jihad. On the face of it had negative connotations.... but that’s just due ignorance. You’ve travelled an awful lot and this surprises me that you’ve posted it.

Braybuddy

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm

chimborazo wrote:
Not sure what’s so shocking about Jihad... it’s a common Islamic name. I work on and off with a guy in Jordan called Jihad. On the face of it had negative connotations.... but that’s just due ignorance. You’ve travelled an awful lot and this surprises me that you’ve posted it.

Probably because someone's name is not the first thing that comes to most Westerners' minds (including myself) when they see the word Jihad. It's not unusual to you because you know it as a name, but if you look it up it's defined as "Holy war" or "struggle" in English dictionaries.

c933103

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:26 am

BYD
The Chinese electric car maker's name mean something like "Raised by bitch" in Mandarin
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Elkadad313

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 am

In the town where I grew up, 'Cum Cum Chop Suey'

Aesma

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:13 am

Stellantis
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:37 am

Aesma wrote:
Stellantis

Well, at least it's better than FCPA (FiatChryslerPeugeot Automobiles)
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

ltbewr
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:40 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Stellantis

Well, at least it's better than FCPA (FiatChryslerPeugeot Automobiles)

The Stellantis name is a made up one so no one company is seen as the lead brand with all its business internal politics implications.

WIederling

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:32 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
chimborazo wrote:

Probably because someone's name is not the first thing that comes to most Westerners' minds (including myself) when they see the word Jihad. It's not unusual to you because you know it as a name, but if you look it up it's defined as "Holy war" or "struggle" in English dictionaries.

Actually it is "striving/struggling to attain something great". ... Like furthering Islam
or creating good family ties ...
Jihad (English: /dʒɪˈhɑːd/; Arabic: جهاد‎ jihād [dʒɪˈhaːd]) is an Arabic word which literally means striving or struggling, especially with a praiseworthy aim.
ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad
Compare maybe with all the religious activity girl names : Patience, Faith, Destiny, ...
Murphy is an optimist

ER757

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:42 pm

There's steakhouse chain called Ruth's Chris Steakhouse - doesn't make any sense to me. What's a "Chris Steakhouse" and why is it Ruth's?

casinterest

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:44 pm

ER757 wrote:
There's steakhouse chain called Ruth's Chris Steakhouse - doesn't make any sense to me. What's a "Chris Steakhouse" and why is it Ruth's?

There is an answer .
https://ruthschris.net/about-us/ruths-s ... .%E2%80%9D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

zippyjet

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Palop wrote:
the Muff Liquor Company gives me a little giggle.
https://www.themuffliquorcompany.com/

Supplies liquor to Aer Lingus!

Some strange names for food and beverage outlets
[*]
[*] Ma Goobies comedy club
[*] Flakey Jakes
{*]Fudruckers
[*] First Watch
[*] Shenanigans
[/*]

Miscallaneous
[*]
[*] Eee I Eee I O Realty
[*] Fathers Gay 90's Ice Cream
[*] Song (Delta Airlines)
[*] "Krazy Eddies
[*] Tick Tock Pharmacy
[/*]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

csturdiv

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:16 am

In Auckland I saw a hair salon called Isis. And here in Sydney there is/was a clothing store called Jizz.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Braybuddy

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 am

csturdiv wrote:
And here in Sydney there is/was a clothing store called Jizz.

Supplier of uniforms to seamen? :D

ER757

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
ER757 wrote:

There is an answer .
https://ruthschris.net/about-us/ruths-s ... .%E2%80%9D

Well....there you go - I should know by now that Google is your friend and checked myself. Thanks for the research. It's still a stupid name though :smile:

Virtual737

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:07 pm

SPUNK.

Can remember precisely but I think it's a chewing gum or similar from Europe and was shown in one of the Top Gear episodes.

kaitak

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:16 pm

I was driving through a town in the Irish midlands a few years back and there was a hair salon called "Curl Up & Dye"!

WIederling

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:34 pm

kaitak wrote:
I was driving through a town in the Irish midlands a few years back and there was a hair salon called "Curl Up & Dye"!

Q: In the movie Blues Brothers : what was the shop name of the murderous girl played by Leia ( i.e. Carrie Fisher) ?
afair there is one scene were her shops neon sign is visible.
Murphy is an optimist