Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Your Bad Experiences with the Police

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 am

I'm curious what stories you have, no matter where you're from and who you are. Can be anything from just a rude cop to a near death experience (if you're comfortable sharing that of course).

My experiences weren't exactly awful, just uncomfortable:

First one was back in 2013. I was visiting a friend in NYC, and we went to a spot to get a good view of the skyline from across the Hudson River. That involved trespassing, but it was just a vacant lot. A cop somehow found us and he definitely wasn't in a good mood. To make matters worse, when he asked for our IDs I couldn't give him mine because it was back at my friend's place (he lived at a university dorm and for whatever reason their policy is guests must leave their ID at the reception desk). I did have my community college ID but it wasn't good enough for him. He gave us a stern talking and considered making us go to court, but he was merciful enough to let us go when I explained that I was visiting for only a couple days.

Second time was in 2014. I was driving and my phone rang, but I couldn't answer (I think at that time it was still legal to use your phone while driving, but I never use my phone while driving). I parked on a dead-end street to see who it was, and seeing that it was a survey place where I could get a little bit of money I called them back. Moments later a cop car parked in back of my car and a cop got out. I hung up and an officer came to the passenger-side window asking what I was doing. I explained that I was making a call and he asked to see my phone. Legally I could've refused, but I had nothing to hide so I let him look. There were a few other officers around, and they tried the number I had just called. I overheard on a radio that the number was just a survey place and to let him (me) go. Apparently at a nearby hotel there's a lot of sex trafficking and they assumed I was part of that. One of the officers said "you don't look like pimp material anyways," which at the time I could chuckle about, but now I wonder if he was inferring to my race. I'm white, so that situation could've gone very differently if I was black, even if I let them check my phone and they realized I was just calling a survey place.

Third time was in 2018. I had just gotten off of work for the night and on my way home I noticed a train, so I decided to go to a spot to get a video of it. This spot is very rural with no houses around. As I drove down the dead-end gravel road to get to the spot a cop car drove past me and then turned around. Right away I knew something was wrong and sure enough the lights started flashing, so naturally I pulled over. The cop asks what I'm doing here, and I wasn't sure how he would respond to "I'm just waiting for a train" so I lied and said I was trying to get to a nearby town. He asked for my ID, and I had remembered that not long ago Philando Castile was reaching for his ID and got shot because the officer thought he was pulling out a gun. I calmly asked the officer if I could step out of the vehicle to get my ID, and he was fine with that. Perhaps it was an odd request, but I just felt safer that he would be able to clearly see me reaching into my pocket to get my wallet. After a little bit he explained why he pulled me over (apparently that spot gets a lot of drunks and drug users at night) and then told me that I was "clearly not going in the right direction" to get to town and told me how to get there.

Last time was in 2019, and involved a cop who didn't know what he was talking about. I was on my bike and got clipped by a car at a crosswalk. Thankfully I wasn't injured, but just to be on the safe side I called the police and the driver who clipped me was okay with that. The cop tells me I'm not allowed to bike on the sidewalk and I either need to bike on the street or walk on the sidewalk. I asked him what exact law stated that biking on the sidewalk isn't allowed, and he just brushed it off saying he would have to look it up later. After that experience it was a long process of getting in contact with the city to see if this cop was right or not. It took a month, but I got in contact with the police chief who said that it's perfectly legal to bike on the sidewalk.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Pellegrine

Re: Your Bad Experiences with the Police

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 am

I was the designated driver for some of my friends, and we were bar hopping in Logan & Dupont Circles, NW DC. I pull up to a parking space on 23rd St. and put my car in reverse to park in the parallel parking space, and a Park Police officer cane up behind me lights flashing. He came so close to my bumper I could not parallel park.

He rudely asked me and my passengers if we had been drinking or smoking. I told him these people are from out of town and I am the DD. He accused me of not owning my own car (a Yukon Denali). He had a rude attitude the whole time. He finally asked me, "what's in that cup in the cupholder?" I picked it up and showed him. It was miscellaneous little trash like gum wrappers, the plastic around cigarette boxes, etc.

Only when my friends and I went to a nearby bar and came back out did I realize what was going on. He was stopping EVERYONE who attempted to park on that street. Looking for who knows what? Drunks? MPD doesn't usually set up checkpoints in DC, but Park Police in DC are assholes. The part that offended me most was him insinuating that my car (I had already handed over license and registration) was not mine.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

Pellegrine

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 am

One year, I was showing some of my out of town friends the 4th of July fireworks on the National Mall. We were drinking before hand and walked from one of their houses in Capitol Hill DC to the mall, and then were walking back, We got a bit confused walking back and ended up in the capitol grounds instead of walking towards the left and straight up Constitution Ave. Well we came upon about 6 Capitol police who threatened us with arrest, said they were going to call the paddy wagon on us, and were not even helpful when we made it clear we made a wrong turn and were looking to go to Constitution Ave.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 am

Had a few instances of traffic cop stops, sometimes I get by with a warning, sometimes I get ticketed. Fair enough, and the encounter is often time pleasant.

However last February I had a very unpleasant encounter with a cop who acted too big for his boots. At the time my country was under lockdown (which was stupidly & sloppily done, but that's another story), and I was unluckily stopped for "crossing state lines" (to put things into perspective, my house is less than 5 km from the state border, and on the other side is a supermarket. The next nearest supermarket would take me outside of the allowed zone of movement). I was trying to explain that a) my house was not far from the area so by definitions of the SOP, I was still within my rights to be there, and b) I was there on an urgent matter. But the bugger wouldn't have it and started raising his voice, started to threaten me with jail & belittled me for no apparent reason. I ended up with a $250 ticket.

The weird part is that all the other policemen that was around were quite polite. He was the lone asshole who thinks his power is absolute and himself beyond reproach. Truly rubbed me the wrong way.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Dutchy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 am

Not too much interaction with the Dutch police and in general they are quite relaxed and just doing their job.

My only truly negative experience with law enforcement was near the Red Square. I Moscow there is a bullshit rule at the time, don't know if it still exists, that you. need to have a 'permit' with you at all times, if you stay longer than, I think, 3 days. It is bureaucratic nonsense of course and it is used a lot by police to have additional 'income'. We had our papers in order, but still, we received a very unpleasant treatment of this 'cop'. It was obviously meant to be a shake down, but fortunately my friend spoke Russian, so that made it easier for us.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

WIederling

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 am

The place i went to Uni also hosted the regional police school.
One night, driving my Heinkel Scooter turning left at a traffic lights ( separate left and ahead lights )
into the street where a police car was waiting for "green".

20m past them they switched on their siren and started a chase in reverse.
I stopped and the two "Polizeischüler" accused me of having run a red light.
(not the case and they couldn't see the state from where they had been standing either.)
lots of words and I was able to send them off.
bit unpleasant experience.

years later twice police cars followed for an extended time.
Both times stopping me and asking about the make of car i was driving.
( A Trojan 200 Cabincruiser and a RHD Mini Clubman estate, both rather rare in Germany. :-)
Murphy is an optimist

extender

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:40 am

I've had plenty of interaction with the police in traffic cases, and I was never a dick about it. You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

VSMUT

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:50 am

I only really had an issue with the Austrian police once. They were waiting just outside the rental car pickup area in the airport, pouncing on every single rental car coming out with drivers who were still trying to find their way and learning the peculiarities of whichever car they were driving in. It was something fairly menial which in any other country would have just resulted in some friendly advice. They were pretty stubborn and couldn't see how unreasonable it was. I've since been told they have ticket quotas in Vienna, and it was the end of the month, so probably explains why they were so stubborn. I've seen them waiting around that area other times I've passed through since.

Other than that, only some slight issues with police who don't understand that they can't just enter aircraft without asking for permission first.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 am

I had a few traffic stops over the years, but no big deal because a couple I could tell were quota jobs and would be over if I was polite and just got the cop on his way. One was for crossing a solid white line into a right turn lane, a big no-no if a cop spots it in CA, so I admitted I knew the law I broke and would enter the lane properly next time. That one let me off with a warning instead of a ticket.

When I lived in SF, generally had good experiences with SFPD except for the time we were up late in a 7th floor apartment in the Tenderloin and saw off-duty/plainclothes SFPD we recognized herding gym bags and Hmong women into the back of a building in an alley. We didn't know the cops' names but had seen them in that area before. Figured calling it in would probably get us in trouble or worse, and never did anything about it.

Living in Japan, was stopped once by a cop asking to do a 'standard ID check'. I asked what for, they said a 'foreigner caused trouble in this area'. I asked what kind of trouble, and they wouldn't say, and asked to see my passport. Even though I told him I was a resident and had an ID, he still asked for my passport. I said I didn't have it on me, and couldn't give it to him anyway because it was US government property and could only be surrendered to immigration authorities. He got annoyed that I knew the law - probably initially assumed I was Russian instead of American - and let me go. Just a power-tripping tool.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dutchy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Living in Japan, was stopped once by a cop asking to do a 'standard ID check'. I asked what for, they said a 'foreigner caused trouble in this area'. I asked what kind of trouble, and they wouldn't say, and asked to see my passport. Even though I told him I was a resident and had an ID, he still asked for my passport. I said I didn't have it on me, and couldn't give it to him anyway because it was US government property and could only be surrendered to immigration authorities. He got annoyed that I knew the law - probably initially assumed I was Russian instead of American - and let me go. Just a power-tripping tool.

That is an interesting one. My passport is indeed the property of the Dutch state and it says that it may pass only to a third party only if there is a statutory obligation to do so. I don't know what it says in a US Passport for obvious reasons, but my guess would be that it is the same. You are in a foreign country, so you need to observed local law, I do not know what the requirements for ID are within Japanese law.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

N583JB

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am

When I was young I was reckless and was pulled over plenty of times by the police. I was always polite and respectful and the police were always professional and courteous. I did have one instance where a cop chewed me out, but I wisely shut up and got the ticket dismissed in court.

As an adult I work very closely with law enforcement on a daily basis. I have found that they are often unfairly maligned as the vast majority of them do their best dealing with the worst of society day in and day out.

flyingturtle

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Not really the police, but merely security goons...

I took my tripod and my camera on a walk in Bern, the capital of Switzerland. And I progressed to make a high-res photo of the US Embassy.

A private security contractor told me it's okay, as long as no person is recognizable on the pictures.

A second security person was supremely annoyed that I would photograph the embassy. I told him that photographing anything from public grounds is legal, as long as I don't infringe on personal rights (like not being recognizable on a photo).

He called the police, and an officer then walked over to me. A nice chat, I explained what I was doing, and off he went.

A few minutes later, the second security guy began to yell at me that I should stop. He called the police again, and two cops came, equipped with a machine pistol. For about 20 minutes they asked me about my photography, I had to show my ID, and they asked me if I had an ID card from "Wikipedia" if I would photograph stuff for that "Wikipedia". They were absolutely clueless about how Wikipedia works: Everybody can participate. Even anonymously. In the end, they let me do my photography.

Groan.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Aaron747

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

That is an interesting one. My passport is indeed the property of the Dutch state and it says that it may pass only to a third party only if there is a statutory obligation to do so. I don't know what it says in a US Passport for obvious reasons, but my guess would be that it is the same. You are in a foreign country, so you need to observed local law, I do not know what the requirements for ID are within Japanese law.

Foreign residents are required to carry a resident card at all times. But cops like to hassle foreigners - particularly South Asians from what many say - and take advantage of their ignorance of the law. Police have zero immigration inspection authority and cannot require you to show proof of visa status - that’s what the resident card in Japanese is for.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

N583JB

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:17 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
I'm curious what stories you have, no matter where you're from and who you are. Can be anything from just a rude cop to a near death experience (if you're comfortable sharing that of course).

My experiences weren't exactly awful, just uncomfortable:

First one was back in 2013. I was visiting a friend in NYC, and we went to a spot to get a good view of the skyline from across the Hudson River. That involved trespassing, but it was just a vacant lot. A cop somehow found us and he definitely wasn't in a good mood. To make matters worse, when he asked for our IDs I couldn't give him mine because it was back at my friend's place (he lived at a university dorm and for whatever reason their policy is guests must leave their ID at the reception desk). I did have my community college ID but it wasn't good enough for him. He gave us a stern talking and considered making us go to court, but he was merciful enough to let us go when I explained that I was visiting for only a couple days.

Second time was in 2014. I was driving and my phone rang, but I couldn't answer (I think at that time it was still legal to use your phone while driving, but I never use my phone while driving). I parked on a dead-end street to see who it was, and seeing that it was a survey place where I could get a little bit of money I called them back. Moments later a cop car parked in back of my car and a cop got out. I hung up and an officer came to the passenger-side window asking what I was doing. I explained that I was making a call and he asked to see my phone. Legally I could've refused, but I had nothing to hide so I let him look. There were a few other officers around, and they tried the number I had just called. I overheard on a radio that the number was just a survey place and to let him (me) go. Apparently at a nearby hotel there's a lot of sex trafficking and they assumed I was part of that. One of the officers said "you don't look like pimp material anyways," which at the time I could chuckle about, but now I wonder if he was inferring to my race. I'm white, so that situation could've gone very differently if I was black, even if I let them check my phone and they realized I was just calling a survey place.

Third time was in 2018. I had just gotten off of work for the night and on my way home I noticed a train, so I decided to go to a spot to get a video of it. This spot is very rural with no houses around. As I drove down the dead-end gravel road to get to the spot a cop car drove past me and then turned around. Right away I knew something was wrong and sure enough the lights started flashing, so naturally I pulled over. The cop asks what I'm doing here, and I wasn't sure how he would respond to "I'm just waiting for a train" so I lied and said I was trying to get to a nearby town. He asked for my ID, and I had remembered that not long ago Philando Castile was reaching for his ID and got shot because the officer thought he was pulling out a gun. I calmly asked the officer if I could step out of the vehicle to get my ID, and he was fine with that. Perhaps it was an odd request, but I just felt safer that he would be able to clearly see me reaching into my pocket to get my wallet. After a little bit he explained why he pulled me over (apparently that spot gets a lot of drunks and drug users at night) and then told me that I was "clearly not going in the right direction" to get to town and told me how to get there.

Last time was in 2019, and involved a cop who didn't know what he was talking about. I was on my bike and got clipped by a car at a crosswalk. Thankfully I wasn't injured, but just to be on the safe side I called the police and the driver who clipped me was okay with that. The cop tells me I'm not allowed to bike on the sidewalk and I either need to bike on the street or walk on the sidewalk. I asked him what exact law stated that biking on the sidewalk isn't allowed, and he just brushed it off saying he would have to look it up later. After that experience it was a long process of getting in contact with the city to see if this cop was right or not. It took a month, but I got in contact with the police chief who said that it's perfectly legal to bike on the sidewalk.

I'm curious as to how any of these qualify as bad experiences? Seems like the cops were respectful and even cut you some breaks.

Phenom89

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 pm

A few years ago, i was walking home from work late at night in Newmarket, Suffolk UK, and i noticed someone i knew was extremely upset, which turned out to be mental health issues. I decided to try and calm him down, spent some time talking to him and allowed him to speak his mind so we could try and make sense of what happened that would cause such a troubling time for him. Ten minutes later, a police car arrived and two officers appear. One attended to the person in question while the other 'spoke' to me. He approached me without any greeting and said 'You look like you're on heroin, where have you just come from?' to which i told him i'd finished work and was on my way home.
I ended up being thoroughly searched and questioned as though i was a heroin addict, when in reality i just happen to have bags under my eyes, which i have had all my life. So i tried helping someone having a mental breakdown and ended up having to explain how i wasn't a heroin addict. The other guy was arrested for being disorderly based on CCTV, which if they had of watched properly, would have shown me walking by and assisting.
I'd always wanted to be a police officer until that moment. It really shattered my view on police mindset.

LCDFlight

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:05 pm

A few years ago, one of the (temporary employee)? Security staff in AMS airport was having himself a little power trip. He was about 19-22 years old, but he seemed to be the supervisor of 30 people. Asking "Who told you to do that! Are you questioning me?" And obviously as a foreigner, you are very reluctant to have a dispute with airport security. He was harassing everyone.

In a lifetime in the US, I have not run across a power tripping police officer, but in Holland I did see this behavior from an airport security guy.

I find that police always treated me reasonably (privileged, plus I obey most laws). I paid my traffic fines and never once disobeyed their instructions, which are there for a reason. In some cases, police contradict the law. This is a terrible situation. But when the law is on their side, give them a break. People like me would be dead without police protection. I am not going to win the contest of powerfully built young men fighting and killing for dominance. So I am actually glad the police keep them at bay for me.

Palop

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Two here. One for me, one for my wife.
In my neighbor town, I was about to make a right turn and I got a red light while a police car was behind me. I came to a full stop and waited for the intersection to be clear. I then proceeded to make a right turn as you are allowed in my state. The police immediately fired it light and pulled me over. As the police officer got out of his car, I see him get his gun ready. He comes up to me and said he stopped me because I did a turn on read where there was a no turn on red sign. He then goes on and runs my papers for a long time. He comes back and tells me he will let me go with a warning. After he leaves I turn around and go back to the intersection to look for the sign I missed. There was none. He pulled me over for no reason other than that he wanted to.

When we moved to our current state, per DMV the cars we brought had to get new registrations, license plates and inspections within 30 days of moving. however if the state you moved from also has an inspection regime, the out of state inspection is considered valid and we only needed to get our state inspection done when that sticker expired or after a year of new registration. My wife was driving and got pulled over because her inspection had expired. She explained to the cop that we had moved in from out of state and according to DMV her inspection was still valid. The cop goes on to say that the DMV is incorrect and that he knows the actual law and gives her a ticket. My wife gets utterly pissed off and decides to fight the ticket in court. Takes a photo of her inspection ticket and a printout of the DMV webpage. When she gets to the judge and presents her ticket and the info the judge summarily dismisses the ticket. The police officer protests and says the ticket should not be dismissed because he has given dozens of similar tickets and they had all been accepted without a court fight before. After the officer lost, he would regularly come by our street and stop by my wife's car and her car only to check out that everything was by the book. Things like distance from curb etc. After a year without catching her, he finally gave up.

aerosreenivas

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:53 pm

In India, I have come across just few instances where I was caught by 'Traffic Police' for either coming on the wrong way or for jumping the signal.

Most of the time, it got settled with me paying some money as a 'Fine'. So far, luckily, I never had a confrontation nor have the cops tried to be 'Abusive Or Physically Beat Me'.

By God's Grace, I'm 'Still Alive'.

NIKV69

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 pm

Never had an issue. Turn car off, Put keys on dash, hands on wheel and follow their directions you will never have a problem.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Moose135

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:36 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Never had an issue. Turn car off, Put keys on dash, hands on wheel and follow their directions you will never have a problem.

Be a white male...
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Moose135 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Be a white male...

Had Floyd or Garner done what he suggested or the equivalent for the situation, they’d be alive today. Fight back and you’ll have a long day or night, I don’t care who you are.

N583JB

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:47 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Be a white male...

Had Floyd or Garner done what he suggested or the equivalent for the situation, they’d be alive today. Fight back and you’ll have a long day or night, I don’t care who you are.

Yup.

NIKV69

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Be a white male...

Yep, exactly. It goes back to having a disdain for law enforcement.

flyingturtle

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:18 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Be a white male...

Disobeying the police comes with a death sentence nowadays? And why are white males still much safer when disobeying the cop? Why has the U.S. Capitol Police failed to riddle the thugs with bullets?

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 pm

It’s not a sentence, but anyone, police included, have right to self-defense and police have a responsibilities to protect citizens from criminals who are violently resisting arrest. It’s pretty simple.

johns624

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 pm

I only have had one bad experience with the police and it was with a Michigan State Police officer. 30+ years ago, when I was in my 20's, I rode a Harley and worked in a dicey area of Detroit. I was a warehouse supervisor for the public schools. The national president chapter of an international motorcycle club was a mile from where I worked. One day, after working a 12 hour shift, I was riding home. A MSP car going the other way, made a u-turn and came after me. I pulled over and they jumped out. The passenger officer stayed quiet the whole time but the driver was an azz. He first asked me if I had straight pipes or if there were baffles installed. It was a BS question because I had the quiet factory exhaust. Then he asked if I was a member of the Outlaws, even though I wore not colors. They kept asking me questions and I kept answering, with a little bit of edge, because I knew they had nothing on me. What made it funny was that all the time that they were messing with me, my fellow employees were driving by, slowing down, honking their horns, and waving at me and laughing. They all gave me good-natured ribbing the next day that their boss had gotten pulled over.
Here's where the story gets interesting... At that time, I was involved with ABATE of Michigan. At a meeting the year before, a fellow member had told me about an MSP officer pulling him over for no reason. I didn't believe him at the time because MSP is usually very professional. After this happened, I called him up and asked him the trooper's name. It was the same one who pulled me over. I called up the ABATE attorney who I personally knew and who had gotten the other member off. He was quite upset and said that knew the MSP chapter president of the Blue Knights, a LE MC. It turns out the trooper's brother had walked into a biker bar, gotten mouthy, and gotten beat up, so the cop had a hard-on for bikers. Years later, when I was working in a gun shop, I got to talking to an MSP lieutenant who was a regular. When I mentioned this officer and what had happened, he said that he had been fired. I guess the story ended well.

johns624

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:34 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

How about Philando Castile, Justine Damond and Daniel Shaver, just to name three?

stratosphere

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:40 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
Be a white male...

Disobeying the police comes with a death sentence nowadays? And why are white males still much safer when disobeying the cop? Why has the U.S. Capitol Police failed to riddle the thugs with bullets?

An unarmed WHITE female was shot and killed at the Capitol by a Capitol police officer. Don't think white people don't get shot or at the very least a beating when they run from the cops or get their blood pumping after some kind of chase it just isn't newsworthy. The media eats this up they like nothing better than to further this racial narrative. But there are good and bad in every profession but cops have a higher percentage of the bad ones and I think part of it is the power that comes with that job and the badge but I have only had two encounters with police in my lifetime ( I am 57) one was I passed an unmarked car when he was going slower than the speed limit and it was not a double line so I passed him and got pulled over. I was polite and so was he but I did get a ticket for careless driving because it was icy out and he felt what I did was unsafe. Now my other encounter I was a passenger and we were pulled over for no reason although we both had been drinking i was the only one who was unfit to drive. The initial cop told me to stay put then another officer showed up a bulky bodybuilder guy told me to start walking and leave I told him his partner told me to stay he said to me " get fucking walking or you're going to jail too" so I left. Bottom line is we need police and I know there are good ones and they put up with a lot of crap sometimes depending where they are it might be all the time. But they for sure need reforms and better training and much better vetting and officers like Chauvin who had multiple complaints in his jacket cops like him need to be rooted out of policing much quicker. Cops need to be more willing to call out the co workers who don't measure up. But I can't pin all of it on cops. The ones who comply and don't run or resist might at least have a better chance of not getting killed. There is one exception the white woman who called the police and was killed by a black cop for no reason at all when she was in her nightgown. He went to prison and Chauvin needs to join him.

M564038

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:46 pm

I once had to wait for more than an hour in line to get a new passport at the police station. Norwegian police are the worst.

WIederling

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:47 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Be a white male...

compliments, Judge Dredd.
Murphy is an optimist

extender

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:08 pm

It isn't rocket science, and don't be a dick. Telling them "F&%k the police," isn't going to get you anywhere good. All sorts of people get into altercations with the police, and they are all not black. Stupid people come in all sorts of colors and ethnicities, but the common denominator is a disdain for authority and flawed logic that all will go well having that chip on their shoulder.

Palop

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 pm

M564038 wrote:
I once had to wait for more than an hour in line to get a new passport at the police station. Norwegian police are the worst.

Totally agree. In high high school after a very good Saturday night, our designated driver was stopped at a sobriety check point. All the passengers in the vehicle leaned out of the windows demanding to blow the meter to see if the night had been good or not. When they wouldn't let us do that we were yelling obscenities to them and they still wouldn't let us and just waved the car through. So rude of them not to oblige our request.

seb146

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:40 pm

"If he had just" is BS. Even the ones who do follow those suggestions end up either dead or behind bars. Maybe we should hold cops accountable for a change?

My worst experience was in eastern Idaho. I was driving with the brosband, we had just gotten on the freeway in a construction zone so the speed limit was 45MPH. I was going 40. County deputy pulls me over, says I was going 10 over and he has to search our car for drugs.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

FGITD

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:48 pm

stratosphere wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

An unarmed WHITE female was shot and killed at the Capitol by a Capitol police officer. Don't think white people don't get shot or at the very least a beating when they run from the cops or get their blood pumping after some kind of chase it just isn't newsworthy.

Are you sure that’s the example you want to go with? It’s not as if that woman was just sightseeing and they shot her. She was part of an angry treasonous mob that sought to overthrow the results of a fair election. She was rightfully killed while betraying her country and attacking it’s elected officials. Personally I don’t believe she should have even been entitled to be buried in American soil. Hardly the victim.

So no, she has absolutely nothing in common with the other victims in this thread. Good try though.

flyingturtle

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Keep in mind that cops in Germany and Switzerland are trained for two years before they're sworn in as officers. And in order to qualify for cop training, they need to show a three-year professional education.

When they start police training, they already are qualified hairdressers, gardeners, carpenters or physiotherapists. And so they are a wholly different breed of people wearing uniforms, in contrast to US cops. And interpreting body language as well as de-escalation tactics are taught seriously.
Last edited by flyingturtle on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DohwanKim747

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:03 pm

I have a security/police experience to share. Earlier this year (mid-late January, if I recall correctly), I was spotting at SAV from the roof of my family's minivan in the parking lot of a local flight school. Nobody at the flight school ever gave me any trouble whenever they saw me and several of the people there were quite friendly in regards to my presence. This part of the airport has Gulfstream facilities nearby but nothing "secret" or sensitive is visible from where I was nor was I ever on Gulfstream property at the time. However, a Gulfstream contract security guard (a.k.a. a "rent-a-cop") saw me from a Gulfstream parking lot and proceeded to call airport police. I didn't realize that at the time and this coincided with me wrapping up my spotting session for the day. As I drove out of the parking lot, the cop turned on his lights and pulled me over in a grass median next to the lot. He then proceeded to run my plates and in a fairly hostile manner, he told me that the lot actually belonged to a nearby FBO before telling me to scram. This was my first time getting pulled over by law enforcement so it left me rather shaken for the rest of the evening.

johns624

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
"If he had just" is BS. Even the ones who do follow those suggestions end up either dead or behind bars. Maybe we should hold cops accountable for a change?

My worst experience was in eastern Idaho. I was driving with the brosband, we had just gotten on the freeway in a construction zone so the speed limit was 45MPH. I was going 40. County deputy pulls me over, says I was going 10 over and he has to search our car for drugs.

And?
While his incident sounds relatively minor, if it happened as he says, and I have no reason to believe it didn't, you don't have a problem with it? Pulled over for speeding when he wasn't. His car was searched without PC. Of course, he should have refused. PS--I believe this is the first time that I've ever agreed with seb146, let along defended him...

bennett123

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Never had much trouble myself. I do recall seeing a guy get arrested once. But that was for being a pratt.

He walked along the railway line and then leaned over a bridge and was waving to the people below.

I called out to him a few times to say that the train was due.

By the time he moved, it was clearly in sight. So he came back onto the platform.

Just then two cops arrived, and accused him of trespassing on the railway line, which he disputed. I cannot swear to it, but he was definitely on the rail bed or along side it.

Anyway, having disputed it, he then claimed it was Police harassment and that he was being harassed. From there it went to claiming that he was recording this.

By this time, the train had reached the platform, so he tried to push past them and get on the train.

We got on the train and he ended up in handcuffs.

Moron.

N583JB

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
"If he had just" is BS. Even the ones who do follow those suggestions end up either dead or behind bars.

So you are arguing that the police kill tens of millions of people each year? Why isn't the news covering this?

johns624

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:56 pm

N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:
"If he had just" is BS. Even the ones who do follow those suggestions end up either dead or behind bars.

So you are arguing that the police kill tens of millions of people each year? Why isn't the news covering this?
No, but since this is an aviation forum, the correct example would be that there are millions of people who fly every year but the few that crash make the news. The difference is the pilots are very seldom trying to crash the plane but many of the police officers are doing wrong.

N583JB

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 pm

johns624 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

No, but since this is an aviation forum, the correct example would be that there are millions of people who fly every year but the few that crash make the news. The difference is the pilots are very seldom trying to crash the plane but many of the police officers are doing wrong.

To use that analogy, it would be similar to someone claiming that no one should ever fly because a plane crashed last year.

johns624

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 pm

N583JB wrote:
johns624 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

To use that analogy, it would be similar to someone claiming that no one should ever fly because a plane crashed last year.
Or, maybe that the airlines should get rid of bad pilots, which they do...

NIKV69

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 am

johns624 wrote:

While his incident sounds relatively minor, if it happened as he says, and I have no reason to believe it didn't, you don't have a problem with it? Pulled over for speeding when he wasn't. His car was searched without PC. Of course, he should have refused. PS--I believe this is the first time that I've ever agreed with seb146, let along defended him...

No offense but I doubt he was doing 5 under the speed limit. I had a similar experience in CO driving from NV to NY. It's a drug corridor, I was a little over the speed limit. He asked to search my vehicle I said fine. I have nothing to hide. He did a quickie and sent me on my way. Port Authority in NY got a dog to sniff my car when I was shooting an arrival. What is the big deal? Again people that have issues with this are either guilty or hate law enforcement. Give them a break. They do an impossible job and die all the time protecting us.

Aaron747

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Keep in mind that cops in Germany and Switzerland are trained for two years before they're sworn in as officers. And in order to qualify for cop training, they need to show a three-year professional education.

When they start police training, they already are qualified hairdressers, gardeners, carpenters or physiotherapists. And so they are a wholly different breed of people wearing uniforms, in contrast to US cops. And interpreting body language as well as de-escalation tactics are taught seriously.

Local governments in the US would never spend that kind of money on training - totally impossible with current salary levels and pension obligations.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:32 am

NIKV69 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

No offense but I doubt he was doing 5 under the speed limit. I had a similar experience in CO driving from NV to NY. It's a drug corridor, I was a little over the speed limit. He asked to search my vehicle I said fine. I have nothing to hide. He did a quickie and sent me on my way. Port Authority in NY got a dog to sniff my car when I was shooting an arrival. What is the big deal? Again people that have issues with this are either guilty or hate law enforcement. Give them a break. They do an impossible job and die all the time protecting us.

Because many people have this attitude, some police officers think they're beyond reproach to the point that they're untouchable. When they start thinking this way, even if you do everything right, you might still end up being treated poorly.

Mind you, this is not a problem limited to America.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

johns624

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:40 am

NIKV69 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Wrong. The police have no right to search a vehicle without probable cause. There's a reason the Founding Fathers wrote the 4th Amendment. It's just as important as the 1st and 2nd. Here's a little what-if. You let your teenage son or daughter borrow your car. They pick up their friends and one of them accidentally drops their little pill bottle under the seat. You get pulled over a week later for some BS reason. Cop asks to search your car. You say "Sure, I have nothing to hide". Then the cop finds the pill bottle. Next thing you know, you're talking to the judge and he's not buying your story. Driving in a certain "corridor" isn't a crime. This is still the United States. We have freedom of travel. If they see you weaving while driving, or see you exchange money for a baggie, then it's -sure, no problem. But just pulling random people over is BS.

DocLightning

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:36 am

There had been a street fair on my street when I lived in Spanish Harlem. I was coming home from work at the hospital (I was a resident) and I was wearing my scrubs, white coat, and hospital ID. As I turned the corner onto my street, I was shoved backwards and almost knocked over by a NYPD officer who loudly and rudely announced that the street was closed. I explained that I lived there and he said "tough shit."

Fortunately, another officer overheard the exchange and asked me for my ID, which showed that I did live on the street.

I filed a complaint with the NYPD but nothing came of it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

LittleFokker

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:57 am

A few years ago, we were doing a family vacation to Disney World (which included our then 2 year old son). Our last day there, as we were making our way to the airport, our rental car was rear ended exiting the freeway. The driver of the car was a teenage girl who looked shell shocked, and another similarly aged girl was in the passenger seat. Called 911, paramedics arrived and checked on all of us. We were fine, they took the passenger of the other car to the hospital as a precaution (I later learned she was discharged within a couple of hours). Spent the next hour on the phone with insurance and rental car company. Florida DOT road side assistance checked on us a few times while waiting for the police to arrive. Called the police station multiple times to see when an officer would be arriving. The only saving grace of the situation was the driver's family showed up to help in whatever way they could. They had a minivan with seat monitors and they let my then wife and son relax and stay cool in the van (outside temp was high 80s). 2.5 hours after the accident, a tow truck paid for by the rental car company showed up to take their rental (I didn't request a replacement seeing as how we were flying out that afternoon and was expecting the accident scene to be resolved in time for us to make our flight. The driver was curious why we didn't have a police report by now. So now without a car (the girl's father had just shown up to make sure I was okay, the mother took my wife and son to McDonald's to cool off), I called FHP again to find out where the officer was and mentioned the rental company had already towed the car. I was then told the officer had driven by the area but didn't see anything and since the car was no longer there they wouldn't be showing up. Awesome service. The girl's dad was super friendly and gave us a ride to the airport, and we arrived to check in about 10 minutes before scheduled departure. Couldn't get rebooked until the next day and hotel rooms were super pricey (best I could find was $200/night 7 miles from the airport). Was hoping to keep the cost down in case the insurance or airline wouldn't reimburse. After checking in to the hotel, I put my son to bed and went to the bar to down double whiskeys until I couldn't see on the worst St Patty's Day ever.

If I ever hear anyone from Florida Highway Patrol claim to be a first responder, they can piss right off a miserable cliff, buncha do nothing bastards leaving my family and I stranded on a hot highway for 3 damn hours.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Tiredofhumanity

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:37 am

johns624 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Wrong. The police have no right to search a vehicle without probable cause. There's a reason the Founding Fathers wrote the 4th Amendment. It's just as important as the 1st and 2nd. Here's a little what-if. You let your teenage son or daughter borrow your car. They pick up their friends and one of them accidentally drops their little pill bottle under the seat. You get pulled over a week later for some BS reason. Cop asks to search your car. You say "Sure, I have nothing to hide". Then the cop finds the pill bottle. Next thing you know, you're talking to the judge and he's not buying your story. Driving in a certain "corridor" isn't a crime. This is still the United States. We have freedom of travel. If they see you weaving while driving, or see you exchange money for a baggie, then it's -sure, no problem. But just pulling random people over is BS.

Beat me to it. The inspection story, the story on the officer making baseless claims of the driver not owning the vehicle, and Doc's story also scream abuse of power. The heroin one is from the UK but follows a similar pattern (trying to force an accusation via intimidation when there is no evidence of laws being broken).

This isn't someone mouthing off after they were caught going 100 mph in their daddy's Escalade. People who walk the line shouldn't be treated this way, and it simply erodes the trust in the system. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

WIederling

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:46 pm

Tiredofhumanity wrote:
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

This is valid in court proceedings. Your are not in court :-)

And police hasn't got the full "Street Judges" qualification yet :-)

Another domain:
Media don't want to hear about it either.
guilty beyond any redeeming information or act.
Murphy is an optimist