Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

School Shooting in Knoxville, Tennessee

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 am

A couple days ago, an officer involved shooting took place at Austin-East Magnet High School in Knoxville, Tennessee leaving one person dead and one injured. This comes just days after Tennessee enacted an open carry law and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... d=77028576

LabQuest

Re: School Shooting in Knoxville, Tennessee

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:45 am

The law doesn't take effect until July 1. Even so, this student would be in violation of the law if it were in effect.

This has nothing to do with that law.

Chemist

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:53 pm

Thoughts and prayers from the GOP.

bennett123

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:39 pm

Taken from the OP;

'In an update announced by TBI on Wednesday, investigators revealed the bullet that struck the officer was not fired from the student's handgun'.

In which case which gun DID it come from?.

johns624

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 pm

Chemist wrote:
The only person killed was the gunman. He didn't take anyone with him. That sounds like a happy ending to me.

BlueberryWheats

United States Mass Shooting Thread

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:31 am

So, seeing as we're now hearing of another mass shooting (this time in Indianapolis), maybe it's time for a merge of all American mass shooting threads into one, to save the forum being peppered with them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56770200

This one took place at a FedEx facility. If only Tom Hanks and Wilson were there and carrying!

Scorpio

Re: United States Mass Shooting Thread

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:36 am

Summary of the aftermath: thoughts and prayers, big words, no action. Wait for the next one to happen.

Rinse, repeat. 'Murica!

Chemist

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 am

johns624 wrote:
Chemist wrote:
The only person killed was the gunman. He didn't take anyone with him. That sounds like a happy ending to me.

Also thoughts and prayers from the GOP for the latest Fedex Indianapolis mass shooting. And so on, many times/week.

art

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 am

I think a single thread to cover the issue and instances of mass shootings is a better idea than a multitude, each one covering a different event. The arguments regarding how to contain this problem do not need to be voiced repeatedly as each shooting event occurs.

My views have been expressed before so I think I will just express the same resignation as #Scorpio above: Rinse, repeat. 'Murica!

zakuivcustom

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Scorpio wrote:
Summary of the aftermath: thoughts and prayers, big words, no action. Wait for the next one to happen.

Rinse, repeat. 'Murica!

Well, I saw the thoughts and prayers from Sen. Braun. Nothing from Sen. Young yet.

But you can bet that US will move on from this mass shooting in 2 weeks...when another mass shooting happen.

Ultimately I literally drive by that building every single time I fly out of IND. It does get cringy even though it's not like I work at Fedex nor anywhere close.

PS So far I would suspect that the guy went postal literally. Hard to see why somebody would shoot a bunch of Fedex employees otherwise especially at 11pm.

EDIT:
Can't imagine what friends and relatives are going through right now. Apparently most of the people in the facility wouldn't have their cell phone with them as they are not allowed.

wingman

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Until Fedex workers learn how to do their jobs with one arm and one eye so that the other combo can be 360 scanning with an AR 15 locked and loaded at all times nothing will change. Why weren't these people all armed? And in Indiana of all places! That's the beating heart of gun country. I hope Fedex and all these other snowflake corporations gets their act together and weaponize the workforce. Then we can move on to the elementary schools. I mean seriously, what's more important in Third Grade, fractions or live fire training?

Anyway, what I like for Fedex is maybe a Glock for every driver, sorter and pilot and then at the larger facilities the foremen could go full auto, maybe M60s with the swivel harness for maximum cover. But you really can't be truly 'murican unless you had a fixed position Gatling Gun like on the A-10, full auto with depleted uranium shells so that any any shooting that started behind visual sight would give the person the option of just taking out an entire wing to save the rest of the building. Sure, some sacrifices would be inevitable but those people would be heroes and for sure they'd get a whole buttload of thoughts and prayers.

Anyway, the body count is trending upwards - let's see what next week brings!

casinterest

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:42 pm

Another mass murder brought to you by the NRA and GOP. Let's allow more guns and less mental care to see how much further we can get.

casinterest

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:31 pm

So new update.

https://twitter.com/OpossumPress/status ... 6877114371

Not sure about the student unarmed part, but there are apparently three video cameras that will tell us the full story. We will have to wait on those.

The officer was shot in the hip ( perhaps their own gun?) during scuffle . Not sure if the student fired it or not. Other officers returned fire and killed student.

Virtual737

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:02 pm

wingman wrote:
Until Fedex workers learn how to do their jobs with one arm and one eye so that the other combo can be 360 scanning with an AR 15 locked and loaded at all times nothing will change. Why weren't these people all armed? And in Indiana of all places! That's the beating heart of gun country. I hope Fedex and all these other snowflake corporations gets their act together and weaponize the workforce. Then we can move on to the elementary schools. I mean seriously, what's more important in Third Grade, fractions or live fire training?

Anyway, what I like for Fedex is maybe a Glock for every driver, sorter and pilot and then at the larger facilities the foremen could go full auto, maybe M60s with the swivel harness for maximum cover. But you really can't be truly 'murican unless you had a fixed position Gatling Gun like on the A-10, full auto with depleted uranium shells so that any any shooting that started behind visual sight would give the person the option of just taking out an entire wing to save the rest of the building. Sure, some sacrifices would be inevitable but those people would be heroes and for sure they'd get a whole buttload of thoughts and prayers.

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Has to be H&K, not Glock.

art

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:40 pm

wingman wrote:
...I mean seriously, what's more important in Third Grade, fractions or live fire training?!

I doubt you have any idea how bizarre your question is to me, living in an almost gun-free, shooting-free modern democracy.

wingman wrote:

Let me guess. More deaths by gunfire?

wingman

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:53 pm

For shipping company workers maybe we stick to America:

https://www.swfa.com/taurus-raging-hunt ... asull.html (this one has a great nickname for going postal..love it!)

or the Freedom Arms 500, it makes me want to sing the anthem every time I lay eyes on it (snowflakes need not apply!)

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/f ... 207/138727

Now for the school kids obviously a high caliber gun like the ones above will be tricky for their little arms, so...how about this S&W?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-642 (added bonus, when woof woof tries to eat your homework, BANG BANG!)

Remember everyone, the shootings won't stop until we get to at least one billion guns in circulation, I know we can do it 'Murica.

zakuivcustom

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 pm

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/inves ... 923f5fa836

Shooter identified...some 19yo lives near East Side Indy.

Just...pure...insanity.

And as usual, the shooter is "known to authority" and had been "flagged" as his family members had contacted authority. And of course, as usual that's the end of the story.

There are also sources that said there is a fair amount of Sikh community in Indy that work at that facility. Unknown if it is related or not, though.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:02 pm

casinterest wrote:
Another mass murder brought to you by the NRA and GOP. Let's allow more guns and less mental care to see how much further we can get.

Nothing but gaslighting. What does the NRA have to do with someone committing this crime? Nothing. Can we stop with the hyperbole.

Aaron747

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:26 pm

Meanwhile, idiocy reaches high noon in Texas, with the lege signing into law safety courses and background checks no longer required -fully unlicensed open handgun carry for anyone over 21:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... afhCKRdCut

casinterest

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:41 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Nothing but gaslighting. What does the NRA have to do with someone committing this crime? Nothing. Can we stop with the hyperbole.

The NRA takes money to fund cowards that keep gun control out of legislation( when they aren't laundering money, or paying for lavish personal expenditures of the staff).
The GOP takes that money and keeps from writing common sense laws on Gun Control and medical care.
Not gaslighting or hyperbole. They allow weapons into the hands of those they fail to give adequate treatment.

ER757

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 pm

Scorpio wrote:

Rinse, repeat. 'Murica!

This right here ^ ^ hit the nail on the head. I gave up hope that anything would change after nothing did when 20 little kids got slaughtered. The problem's too far gone now. Way too many guns already out there to make any sort of gun control measures carry any weight - that's the sad truth about the matter. There have been as many days that there have been mass shootings in the USA in the past couple weeks as there have been without. Of course our NRA pals will trot out the stats that show that most gun violence is suicide or gang-bangers shooting each other up and Joe and Jane Public are perfectly immune to such things. Same old song and dance and I am quite frankly deaf to it by now. I just hope the next maniac with a rifle doesn't open fire at the store where I am shopping.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm

casinterest wrote:
The GOP takes that money and keeps from writing common sense laws on Gun Control and medical care.
Not gaslighting or hyperbole. They allow weapons into the hands of those they fail to give adequate treatment.

What law would have kept the rifle out of this guys hands? They interviewed him last year. How did he get this gun?

https://www.kcci.com/article/indianapol ... /36139419#

The NRA doesn't condone people with suicidal thoughts to own guns. Give me a break.

Virtual737

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:50 am

NIKV69 wrote:

The US has some of the most lax gun control laws in the world. Possibly the most lax. The US is towards the top of the list of countries that have mass shootings. The NRA is massively biased towards gun ownership and advocates arming children (ignore the emotional rollercoaster of emotions that children go through every day). It's not too much of a stretch to attach at least a small portion of the blame to an organisation that helps flood the US with guns.

NIKV69 wrote:
What law would have kept the rifle out of this guys hands?

A law that would not have put tens of millions of guns in the market. Sure, if he was that desperate he could have gotten hold of a gun from somewhere, but the US makes it so easy. Too easy.

Much of the rest of the world sits back scratching heads wondering why the US can't seem to loosen it's love for firearms, which makes the US dig the heels in even more. The deaths are tragic. Watching the defense of the gun laws is just bewilderingly funny.

Your country, do internally whatever you like.

Kent350787

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:55 am

On a number of international fora of which I am part, a generalised US Mass shooting thread is common and depressingly lengthy.

But outside the US there is a palpable frustration that the US appears unwillingly or unable to take any practical steps to reduce the killings so, whilst we care for the individuals as fellow human beings, each new slaughter is really just a matter for noting.

seb146

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 am

Zero people were killed casting ballots yet Republicans decide voting is the enemy and must be taken away. We have had something like 145 mass shootings this year so far and Republicans want to make gun access easier. Anyone else see a problem with this?

readytotaxi

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:03 pm

The fact there are 7 open threads on US shootings says something about the American approach to these types of crime. I don't have the answer :(

DTVG

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:21 pm

Mass shootings in the US, that are not islamist inspired (i.e. the majority), seem to be socially acceptable.
If the attack is somehow connected to islamists, the whole nation goes crazy, every agency sends its incompetent bureaucrats (or special agents, because that sounds better) to the scene, and everyone talks about a national tragedy.

seb146

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:10 pm

DTVG wrote:
Mass shootings in the US, that are not islamist inspired (i.e. the majority), seem to be socially acceptable.
If the attack is somehow connected to islamists, the whole nation goes crazy, every agency sends its incompetent bureaucrats (or special agents, because that sounds better) to the scene, and everyone talks about a national tragedy.

Ease of access to guns is the problem. One side honestly believes that one day, the "good guy with a gun" will actually happen and they can parade that around as proof we need unfettered access to all guns all the time. So, we can't do anything about the actual problem. Just blame abstract ideas. The other thing that gets me is these same people say that "all lives matter" and "every life is precious starting at conception" but refuse to do anything about the lives being taken from a clearly defined problem.

Kent350787

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:11 pm

seb146 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

Ease of access to guns is the problem. One side honestly believes that one day, the "good guy with a gun" will actually happen and they can parade that around as proof we need unfettered access to all guns all the time. So, we can't do anything about the actual problem. Just blame abstract ideas. The other thing that gets me is these same people say that "all lives matter" and "every life is precious starting at conception" but refuse to do anything about the lives being taken from a clearly defined problem.

But any international analysis shows that access to guns is not the only issue. Other developed countries with similar gun ownership rates still have far lower gun homicide rates. Restricting access would be a start, but the US clearly has deeper issues.

sierrakilo44

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:23 pm

Kent350787 wrote:

But any international analysis shows that access to guns is not the only issue. Other developed countries with similar gun ownership rates still have far lower gun homicide rates. Restricting access would be a start, but the US clearly has deeper issues.

That was addressed in Michael Moore’s “Bowling for Columbine” in 2003. He acknowledged other nations with gun ownership didn’t have such high gun death rates, and put it down to a culture of fear in the US, institutionalised violence and militarism, lack of social welfare services and media hype and sensationalism.

sierrakilo44

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 pm

seb146 wrote:

Ease of access to guns is the problem. One side honestly believes that one day, the "good guy with a gun" will actually happen and they can parade that around as proof we need unfettered access to all guns all the time.

I’ve always thought that to be very unrealistic.

A mass shooter walks into a public place with an AR-15, a few backup guns and loads of ammo. Probably wearing body armour and military clothing. He’s mentally prepared to kill. On the other side a random “good guy with a gun” probably only has a handgun with a limited amount of ammo. Is not mentally expecting to have to defend against a mass shooter. Probably has no training on how to shoot in a combat scenario. One on one it’s barely a fair fight.

“Good guy with a gun” doesn’t expect to get into a firefight that day so panics and just shoots bullets all over the place, hitting more innocent bystanders than the killer.

If he manages to get his gun out it devolves into a firefight. The police arrive on scene, see two guys shooting at each other and can’t decipher who’s the “good guy with a gun” so shoot them both.

Proponents of the “good guy with a gun” theory have watched too many movies.

WIederling

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:50 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
The NRA doesn't condone people with suicidal thoughts to own guns.

NRA seem to go for everybody should have a gun and use it.
That includes the mentally defectives.
Additionally the NRA seems to have spent a lot of energy
on making any research into the topic at hand difficult.

NIKV69 wrote:
Give me a break.

Why should we?

WIederling

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:16 pm

Kent350787 wrote:

"social tensions" to put mildly
and the type of weapon that is pervasive.
Switzerland: most off age males used to have their army weapons at home. Mobilization on short notice.
Finland: the place seems to be saturated with hunting guns.
Canada: about the same?

What you don't find is the infatuation with pretensions of self defense and anything that can produce a spray of bullets.

acavpics

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:48 pm

It seems that the Austin shooting incident that left 3 dead is an isolated domestic dispute.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/stat ... -3-killed/

That aside, Is there a way for Biden to mandate background checks and a red flag law WITHOUT congress/ Because even with a 50-50 split in congress, I don't see legislation passing, considering that Manchin and Sinema are pro filibuster.

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:00 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

What law would have kept the rifle out of this guys hands? They interviewed him last year. How did he get this gun?

https://www.kcci.com/article/indianapol ... /36139419#

The NRA doesn't condone people with suicidal thoughts to own guns. Give me a break.

The NRA loses its absolute sh!t whenever red flag laws come up, which could prevent situations like this. But then the pro life christian crowd couldn't retire to their safe space on their NRA funded--probably scammed--yacht to get away from uncomfortable questions like "how has the NRA facilitated more murders of Americans than terrorists could ever dream of in a thousand lifetimes?"

readytotaxi wrote:
The fact there are 7 open threads on US shootings says something about the American approach to these types of crime. I don't have the answer :(

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prev ... 1819576527

acavpics wrote:
It seems that the Austin shooting incident that left 3 dead is an isolated domestic dispute.

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/stat ... -3-killed/

The vast majority of the zillion gun deaths are 'isolated domestic' incidents...

johns624

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:23 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

“Good guy with a gun” doesn’t expect to get into a firefight that day so panics and just shoots bullets all over the place, hitting more innocent bystanders than the killer.
When did this happen, or is it just your warped fantasy?

GDB

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:03 am

johns624 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Easy, most American gun nuts will be poorly trained, plinking targets on static targets is not the same as a real situation, you also miss the larger point, when law enforcement arrives how do they know who the shooter is, when the first armed person they see is the mythical 'good guy with a gun'. What with the trigger happy/poorly trained examples of US policing we are seeing, on footage, almost weekly?

Face it, this whole cowboy BS attitude is just that.
Yeah all those movies might be great cinema but as remotely close to history, no.
John Wayne's real first name was Marion and he was a WW2 draft dodger.
Just more fantasies piled on fantasy, just like the whole edifice of the NRA/'The Good Guy With A Gun'/only gangbangers are the real problem and on and on.

johns624

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:08 pm

GDB wrote:
johns624 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Easy, most American gun nuts will be poorly trained, plinking targets on static targets is not the same as a real situation, you also miss the larger point, when law enforcement arrives how do they know who the shooter is, when the first armed person they see is the mythical 'good guy with a gun'. What with the trigger happy/poorly trained examples of US policing we are seeing, on footage, almost weekly?

Yeah all those movies might be great cinema but as remotely close to history, no.
Just more fantasies piled on fantasy, just like the whole edifice of the NRA/'The Good Guy With A Gun'/only gangbangers are the real problem and on and on.
Next time, try answering the question. I don't know how you got this to be about John Wayne. I can't even figure out the segue.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:22 pm

Five people shot in Shreveport

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... shreveport

The shooting at a tavern in Somers Saturday evening left three dead and three others wounded, and one suspect captured, according to Kenosha County officials..

Probably just another isolated Domestic dispute...

wingman

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 pm

You gotta be careful with how you post new mass shooting stories. Below you make it seems like Shreveport and Somers are one and the same. But they're two separate incidents! So I think we had four or five mass shootings inside of one week. Haha, it's almost beyond regular math and getting into Algebra at this point, I lose track of the death count. There's a math concept called something like exponential growth?? Anyway, don't sell American exceptionalism short my man, 'murica #1!

GDB

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pm

johns624 wrote:
GDB wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Next time, try answering the question. I don't know how you got this to be about John Wayne. I can't even figure out the segue.

Easy, just think about it. It's been said often enough that there is a cowboy mentality with all this 'good guy with a gun' of little evidence, much the same as the whole 'I need an AR-15' in case (unlikely) home invasions happen.
(Wouldn't a shotgun familiar to many in rural areas, including yes legally checked and held ones here in the UK, do the same job?)
What happens when this what is for many, a founding myth, is actually all BS?
Nothing good tends to be the result.

The question? Well we are waiting, since if the 'good guy with a gun' stopping a mass shooting wasn't as rare as rocking horse shit, each and every instance of these would be all over these threads on this depressingly familiar subject.
They aren't though are they? Thin on the ground and nowhere in any of the really big double figure fatality ones.
Not to mention how many would be started when any of these 'good guy with a gun' actually happened.
Yes not impossible and likely there have been one or two, however when law enforcement turn up, what I said would most likely happen.
But only on very rare occasions and only due to the mass shooting epidemic in the first place.

johns624

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 pm

GDB wrote:
The question? Well we are waiting, since if the 'good guy with a gun' stopping a mass shooting wasn't as rare as rocking horse shit, each and every instance of these would be all over these threads on this depressingly familiar subject.
They aren't though are they? Thin on the ground and nowhere in any of the really big double figure fatality ones.
Not to mention how many would be started when any of these 'good guy with a gun' actually happened.
Yes not impossible and likely there have been one or two, however when law enforcement turn up, what I said would most likely happen.
But only on very rare occasions and only due to the mass shooting epidemic in the first place.
Did you think that sometimes a shooting doesn't become a "mass shooting" because the gunman doesn't get a chance? I didn't think so.
PS--As to your shotgun suggestion---I can't shoot a shotgun. I've had 2 complete reverse shoulder replacements and the ortho said it's a big no-no.
Last edited by johns624 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seb146

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Every shooting brings up these two questions:

if we need ID to vote and drive and get basic services, why not make ID mandatory for gun ownership?
If we need insurance to drive cars and live, why not make insurance mandatory for gun ownership?

extender

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:47 pm

seb146 wrote:

if we need ID to vote and drive and get basic services, why not make ID mandatory for gun ownership?
If we need insurance to drive cars and live, why not make insurance mandatory for gun ownership?

You do need ID to purchase a firearm.

That is what civil suits are for.

johns624

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:53 pm

seb146 wrote:

What about ID for voting? Many liberals think it's an infringement.

seb146

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Name one.

seb146

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm

extender wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You do need ID to purchase a firearm.

That is what civil suits are for.

Private sales do not. No back ground check, no ID required.

extender

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Good luck with that, that is private property between to consenting adults. And even if private sales had an ID requirement, a lot of people won't be happy, and think they need to go further, hence the line in the sand mentality.

johns624

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:12 pm

seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Name one.
Too easy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/voter ... r-BB161h9b

NIKV69

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:10 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Name one.
Too easy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/voter ... r-BB161h9b

https://pittnews.com/article/13651/arch ... es-rights/