Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Car dealership Seattle

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:30 pm

My Son needs to buy a used car in Seattle, anyone know an honest dealership he could go to ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

einsteinboricua

Re: Car dealership Seattle

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 pm

CarMax.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

luckyone

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 pm

CarMax would be a good place to start, but in my experience their prices are higher and the rates you get through their lenders are higher than if you went elsewhere. The plus side is they are a nationwide business so they tend to have a consistent experience across their stores and they do seem to keep their cars to a minimum standard. The other plus side is they have a large variety of vehicles from which to choose and they are all unlocked, meaning you can explore without much hassle from a dealer rep until you're ready.

LCDFlight

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 pm

I would hit Craigslist. Probably focus on tech worker suburbs. They have dealer maintained cars and some of them randomly leave the country and sell their car in a day, just needing it gone fast. One of my coworkers did that last week in the Bay Area.

phatfarmlines

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:48 am

It's also worth to get the VIN number of the vehicle and run a Carfax on it. It might save you from surprises down the road.

WidebodyPTV

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:54 pm

luckyone wrote:
CarMax would be a good place to start, but in my experience their prices are higher and the rates you get through their lenders are higher than if you went elsewhere. The plus side is they are a nationwide business so they tend to have a consistent experience across their stores and they do seem to keep their cars to a minimum standard. The other plus side is they have a large variety of vehicles from which to choose and they are all unlocked, meaning you can explore without much hassle from a dealer rep until you're ready.

You should always secure your own financing when shopping for a car, whether it’s new or used. Your best rates will come from a local credit union. If you have good credit, most dealers will extend credit to you and allow you to drive the car off the lot; you then have so many days for your credit Union (or bank) to get the funds to them, otherwise the dealer will sell the financing to a lender of their choosing.

Kno

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Carmax upsells cars - their primary market is people who don’t know much about cars and aren’t comfortable with negotiating.

For used cars it’s more about the type of car and how it was maintained than the dealership.

Narrow your search down to a couple different makes and models and spend some time doing research on the best years and common issues / maintenance milestones.

If you don’t know much about cars and aren’t picky go with a safe bet like a Honda Accord.
Once you’ve found the right car take it to your personal mechanic before buying - you’ll leave the experience with more peace of mind and better educated about the machine you’re buying.

Edit: I second what the poster above said about financing, no matter where you are dealership financing is a rip off - even when they said 0% they find another area to tack on a few thousand.

seb146

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:11 pm

I have found better luck with small town dealerships. They can not afford bad publicity. If you can do it, go to Moses Lake or Wenatchee.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

slider

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:01 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
It's also worth to get the VIN number of the vehicle and run a Carfax on it. It might save you from surprises down the road.

Caveat emptor: Carfax will only report that which has been reported.

Do a deeper title scrub, make sure a title hasn't been washed, salvaged, etc.

flybaurlax

Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:12 pm

I bought my used Mini Clubman S from Elliott Bay Autobrokers. https://www.ebautobrokers.com/. I knew what model I was looking for, though. However, they were great and can find you a plethora of cars that are in great condition.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

Chaostheory

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:01 pm

Max Q wrote:
My Son needs to buy a used car in Seattle, anyone know an honest dealership he could go to ?

Halo motors in the Woodridge area.

My brother bought an Oldsmobile coupe from there years ago. One of the windows had a motor issue which was discovered after a month or so. The dealer repaired it without any qualms. It's still going strong today despite being abused by nieces and nephews who all learned how to drive manual tranny with it.