Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

johns624

Re: Columbus Police Shooting and Misinformation

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
In my opinion large black urban areas/communities should be patrolled only by black officers.

I have also thought that if a race has a majority in a community, the police hired and trained should be of that majority race. I'll leave it a race, and not require the major sexual identity or the major religion (or denomination, or sect) to have to be required.

And, I have serious question to add... Do rubber bullets work??

Of course - they hurt like hell and stun the target. But also impractical because how would you know which type to use in advance on a call?
"Rubber bullets" is a bit of a misnomer. They are not fired from your regular sidearm. They are fired from a 37mm gun like a tear gas gun. They are relatively inaccurate, also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_bullet

johns624

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:41 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
johns624 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

You deduced all of that by being a gun salesman?
Neighbor of mine who is a now retired police officer said when he was on the interview committee for new applicants the one sure thing to get you out of the running was having work/worked at a gun shop. If they saw that on an application or it came up in the interview you were done. He said "Those people were just plain scary"
Yeah, I did. Part of selling guns is "getting to know the customer". The ATF even has a video about it. Many of them had a bad attitude. They didn't seem to know that they were off duty and didn't have to be aggressive and treat everyone like a criminal. What's so scary about gun shop workers? It's no different than any other selling job...everyone's different.

Going by what he said, that they were overly enthralled with firearms, every aspect of firearms to the point where they came across as just hoping someone would come in to rob the place. Plus he said he never understood why you needed to carry two guns on your belt and one on your ankle. His words were "Are you gonna get into a firefight with the local cartel? What I did notice is that you got defensive about gun salesman but had no problem painting police officers with a wide brush. Everyone is different, cept of course the popo, probs majority right?
Don't even get me going on FFDOs...

c933103

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:42 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
In my opinion large black urban areas/communities should be patrolled only by black officers.

I have also thought that if a race has a majority in a community, the police hired and trained should be of that majority race. I'll leave it a race, and not require the major sexual identity or the major religion (or denomination, or sect) to have to be required.

One thing is I think most American cities have different neighbors with different racial makeup but they share the same police department
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

Virtual737

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:44 pm

A law allowing freedom of speech should be balanced by a law forcing you to take responsibility when you use your freedom of speech rights to create disturbance. Not my area of expertise, but I'd think that is already the case.

Problem is, when Trump proved that he could do it with little or no come back, why would anyone else not think the same?

bpatus297

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
art wrote:

Good question. A girl makes a move to stab another girl. The girl with the knife is shot. What was the street protest protesting about?

I don’t know - my point was CNN is reporting what all sides are saying about it. As I stated upthread, this should be an opportunity to discuss how to prevent at risk teens from becoming mental cases. If we could get the Ben Crumps and police union advocates out of the way, it might be possible to address major issues.

Every story is unique. Folks that like to use the "far left" media are usually parroting the party line of media companies that exist to demonize people and create fear.

It would be interesting to see other solutions for policing and takedowns, because having to gun someone down in 15 seconds, tends to leave everyone affected by a traumatic event

I think the officer had no choice but to fire in this case, but one person still wound up dead. It just wasn't the potential knifing victim.

Had the officer not fired, the other girls would have ended up dead. It’s a lose-lose situation. Everyone (not directed at you) needs to quit pretending that the police come into perfectly mundane situations and just start shooting. There are consequences for getting into a knife fight.

bpatus297

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
art wrote:

Good question. A girl makes a move to stab another girl. The girl with the knife is shot. What was the street protest protesting about?

I don’t know - my point was CNN is reporting what all sides are saying about it. As I stated upthread, this should be an opportunity to discuss how to prevent at risk teens from becoming mental cases. If we could get the Ben Crumps and police union advocates out of the way, it might be possible to address major issues.

Every story is unique. Folks that like to use the "far left" media are usually parroting the party line of media companies that exist to demonize people and create fear.

It would be interesting to see other solutions for policing and takedowns, because having to gun someone down in 15 seconds, tends to leave everyone affected by a traumatic event

I think the officer had no choice but to fire in this case, but one person still wound up dead. It just wasn't the potential knifing victim.

Had the officer not fired, the other girls would have ended up dead. It’s a lose-lose situation. Everyone (not directed at you) needs to quit pretending that the police come into perfectly mundane situations and just start shooting. There are consequences for getting into a knife fight.

casinterest

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:36 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

In this case there was a death, but procedures and education can come from this loss. What is in the public's best interest is to evaluate if anything could be done differently for future cases. Could there be more public reach out to educate people about de escalating conflicts. Could there be more education about proper behavior in the presence of officers of the law? Could other weapons or tactics help save lives?

In this case none of it may have mattered, but for future cases knowledge, training, and education can help out.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

par13del

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Anyone wishing that the swift release of the officers body cam footage will set a precedent going forward?

johns624

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:45 pm

par13del wrote:
Anyone wishing that the swift release of the officers body cam footage will set a precedent going forward?
Detroit and some other cities have already been doing that. I think it depends on the mindset of the department. Detroit has a great chief who demands that his officers do things correctly but will back them to the hilt if they do.

bpatus297

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:01 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

In this case there was a death, but procedures and education can come from this loss. What is in the public's best interest is to evaluate if anything could be done differently for future cases. Could there be more public reach out to educate people about de escalating conflicts. Could there be more education about proper behavior in the presence of officers of the law? Could other weapons or tactics help save lives?

In this case none of it may have mattered, but for future cases knowledge, training, and education can help out.

Of course, everyone should strive to learn every day.

Okie

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:35 pm

c933103 wrote:
Okie wrote:
The police clearly need to adopt the Baltimore model when responding to a call.

Okie

According to quick internet search, Baltimore model of handling 911 call can only makes a different when there aren't life endangering emergency being reported

Yes, level 1 response is 16 minutes after an incident. You can use your imagination from there.

Okie

NIKV69

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:44 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Isn't denying a white person a job as a police officer because he is white kind of like racism?
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

stratosphere

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:29 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

So you think that black officers don't shoot and kill black people? Sure they do it just doesn't make the news. I live in the Memphis area most cops are black as are the supervisors and they are about to hire a black female police chief to replace the black male police chief who just retired. The mayors have all been black except for the current one. The city council all black. It's only when a white officer commits actual or perceived injustices to blacks that makes it newsworthy. Getting sick of the everything is racist society that the media and Democrats are pushing. Its the boy who cried wolf on steroids. Its lost any meaning. Reforms are needed and a national database of problem cops are things I can get on board with.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:55 am

stratosphere wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

So you think that black officers don't shoot and kill black people? Sure they do it just doesn't make the news. I live in the Memphis area most cops are black as are the supervisors and they are about to hire a black female police chief to replace the black male police chief who just retired. The mayors have all been black except for the current one. The city council all black. It's only when a white officer commits actual or perceived injustices to blacks that makes it newsworthy. Getting sick of the everything is racist society that the media and Democrats are pushing. Its the boy who cried wolf on steroids. Its lost any meaning. Reforms are needed and a national database of problem cops are things I can get on board with.

I understand that. I know that when a black man went on a rampage in Downtown Dallas, shooting officers, that, at the time, Police Chief, and the Mayor of Dallas, were black...
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Virtual737

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Isn't denying a white person a job as a police officer because he is white kind of like racism?

In my view it is exactly racism. In a similar discussion (with a very wise, knowledgeable man that I would typically trust to offer the right advise in all situations) it was described as positive racism. I've contemplated this many times and still can't get my head around why it's any different.

c933103

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:10 am

Okie wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Okie wrote:
The police clearly need to adopt the Baltimore model when responding to a call.

Okie

According to quick internet search, Baltimore model of handling 911 call can only makes a different when there aren't life endangering emergency being reported

Yes, level 1 response is 16 minutes after an incident. You can use your imagination from there.

Okie

Is this good or bad compares to average American emergency response time?
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones

Aaron747

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:57 am

c933103 wrote:
Okie wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Okie

The best cities average under 10 minutes.

https://www.safety.com/comparing-the-av ... nse-times/

Other websites say Los Angeles has a leading response time of 5-something minutes but their data is not in the above link.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

c933103

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:36 am

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Okie wrote:

Okie

Other websites say Los Angeles has a leading response time of 5-something minutes but their data is not in the above link.

Then, is it common for police in Columbus to have a slow response time or was it a special case in this situation? Have that slow arrival changed the situation and result in what have been caused?

N583JB
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 pm

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Then, is it common for police in Columbus to have a slow response time or was it a special case in this situation? Have that slow arrival changed the situation and result in what have been caused?

Response times can vary based on where you are, what time of day it is, and what the call is for. Check out "Flint Town" on Netflix if you get a chance. Cops there are often so overwhelmed that response times are often measured not in minutes but in hours and sometimes even in days. As more and more people leave law enforcement, these delays will become more common.

ltbewr

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:58 pm

One factor that must be included in any look at police using deadly force is that per the linked study, about half of the uses of deadly force involve persons with a mental health crises. This is often compounded by their possession of a gun, knife or other potentially deadly weapon. https://namiillinois.org/half-people-ki ... ty-report/

atcsundevil

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Please keep the thread respectful and on topic. This isn't a discussion on elections or race relations in other countries or what politicians said about unrelated issues.

✈️ atcsundevil

extender

Sat May 01, 2021 12:33 pm

At some point, parents are going to have to become accountable for their actions or inaction. The "parents'" smell free money. They had a press conference on the court steps. The deceased was placed in foster care for domestic violence. The biological father was the one kicking a person on the ground in the head. And they want their payday. Sick.

Aaron747

Sat May 01, 2021 12:59 pm

extender wrote:
At some point, parents are going to have to become accountable for their actions or inaction. The "parents'" smell free money. They had a press conference on the court steps. The deceased was placed in foster care for domestic violence. The biological father was the one kicking a person on the ground in the head. And they want their payday. Sick.

Are you insinuating the price of accountability for being a parent while also emotionally disturbed and/or mentally ill is...death of child with no recompense?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

extender

Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 pm

If the child were left to kill the other girl, what would they have? A kid committing a heinous crime, and you want to reward the parents?

Aaron747

Sat May 01, 2021 1:18 pm

extender wrote:
If the child were left to kill the other girl, what would they have? A kid committing a heinous crime, and you want to reward the parents?

It's not an either/or scenario. You're applying arbitrary outcome limits to the situation. Not to mention moving the goalposts from the context you started with.

art

Sat May 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Let's say I try to attack someone with a knife and in being prevented from so doing, I get killed in the process. How does my death warrant compensation?

Aaron747

Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 pm

art wrote:
Let's say I try to attack someone with a knife and in being prevented from so doing, I get killed in the process. How does my death warrant compensation?

It doesn’t necessarily, nor automatically. If brought to a civil proceeding, a judge/jury would have to examine the particulars of the situation, hear from experts, and make a determination.

art

Sat May 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
art wrote:

It doesn’t necessarily, nor automatically. If brought to a civil proceeding, a judge/jury would have to examine the particulars of the situation, hear from experts, and make a determination.

My question was HOW does my death warrant compensation? Is it in some way illegal to kill someone who is in the act of stabbing someone else? If not, why would a court waste its time entertaining a case made against the killer?

Aaron747

Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 pm

art wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
art wrote:

My question was HOW does my death warrant compensation? Is it in some way illegal to kill someone who is in the act of stabbing someone else? If not, why would a court waste its time entertaining a case made against the killer?

It's not a matter of a case against the 'killer' - in this case it would be against the city for wrongful death. If there were procedures or training available that were not used, for example, to effect an outcome other than death, that would be a possible consideration. Another is if the deceased had a history of being mentally unstable, was untreated, or both (as is typical of foster children) - was the state incompetent in her care preceding this event? There are numerous legal proceedings against many counties throughout the US that do underfund or provide inadequate mental health services to foster kids and juvenile delinquents, particularly those from low income and broken family situations.

art

Sat May 01, 2021 2:37 pm

I take your points @Aaron747

Elkadad313

Sat May 01, 2021 8:01 pm

ltbewr wrote:
One factor that must be included in any look at police using deadly force is that per the linked study, about half of the uses of deadly force involve persons with a mental health crises. This is often compounded by their possession of a gun, knife or other potentially deadly weapon. https://namiillinois.org/half-people-ki ... ty-report/

Is a knife or gun used by someone with mental health issues less deadly? :?

Aaron747

Sat May 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Elkadad313 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

How deadly it is isn’t the point - the point is prevention. Reading comprehension - it’s a must, today, tomorrow, anytime.

Elkadad313

Sun May 02, 2021 1:19 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

How deadly it is isn’t the point - the point is prevention. Reading comprehension - it’s a must, today, tomorrow, anytime.

A repeat of what I posted in the movie/TV violence thread:

'How many carefully targeted programs for mental health support and positive employment, which for the most part fail, will it take to admit what is already realized -- poor mental health cannot be avoided. Dealt with more effectively? Absolutely. But an air-tight solution to dealing with this, as has been pointed out repeatedly, is virtually impossible. It could be mitigated significantly, but, again, as has been pointed out repeatedly, the first and primary line of defense lies with family and friends. Until this root cause is somehow resolved, we will have a 'that horse has already left the barn' situation.'

stratosphere

Mon May 03, 2021 8:21 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
art wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It's not a matter of a case against the 'killer' - in this case it would be against the city for wrongful death. If there were procedures or training available that were not used, for example, to effect an outcome other than death, that would be a possible consideration. Another is if the deceased had a history of being mentally unstable, was untreated, or both (as is typical of foster children) - was the state incompetent in her care preceding this event? There are numerous legal proceedings against many counties throughout the US that do underfund or provide inadequate mental health services to foster kids and juvenile delinquents, particularly those from low income and broken family situations.

The mother deserves NOTHING in this case. The mother obviously had issues because both the deceased and her sister were in foster care. So the mother is not even raising her kids one gets killed and she figures she is gonna cash in on a possible million dollar payday and sad thing is if precedent is anything she will get it too even if the cop was justified. Look no further than the false narrative of Michael Brown the 'hands up don't shoot" lie. Autopsy proved that narrative was false as well as Obama's DOJ who found nothing and Michael Browns biological mother had nothing to do with her son either he was being raised by the grandmother but that didn't stop the mother from cashing in on a big payday which should have never been paid cop was justified and to add insult to injury the mothers boyfriend incited a riot that destroyed businesses most of them black owned in Ferguson MO. Just from the video alone the shoot was justified. Sad but justified.

Aaron747

Mon May 03, 2021 10:58 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
art wrote:

The mother deserves NOTHING in this case. The mother obviously had issues because both the deceased and her sister were in foster care. So the mother is not even raising her kids one gets killed and she figures she is gonna cash in on a possible million dollar payday and sad thing is if precedent is anything she will get it too even if the cop was justified. Look no further than the false narrative of Michael Brown the 'hands up don't shoot" lie. Autopsy proved that narrative was false as well as Obama's DOJ who found nothing and Michael Browns biological mother had nothing to do with her son either he was being raised by the grandmother but that didn't stop the mother from cashing in on a big payday which should have never been paid cop was justified and to add insult to injury the mothers boyfriend incited a riot that destroyed businesses most of them black owned in Ferguson MO. Just from the video alone the shoot was justified. Sad but justified.

I hear your points but even so, local and state authorities have legal obligations to the minors in their care. Ohio for example was under federal decree for several years because their foster system knowingly utilized guardians who were sexual abusers - due to capacity issues they kept them on their rolls. Perhaps there should be an arbitration process to determine if parents can actually receive recompense, sure, but the government must legally take responsibility for serious errors in care.