Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fr8mech
Topic Author

Covid19 Vaccine Experience Thread

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:48 pm

As a follow-up to this thread, I’d like to relate my experience and ask if any have had a similar experience.

viewtopic.php?t=1458523

As per CDC recommendations, the wife and I got our vaccines (Pfizer) two weeks after we were ‘released’ from isolation.

Understand, the only symptoms I had were fatigue and muscle aches. The muscle aches were gone, but there was an intermittent, lingering feeling of fatigue. Nothing serious. But, definitely there.

After the first shot, other than pain in my arm, I really didn’t have any issues. I do wonder why this vaccine causes more pain than the flu shot, but whatever.

Three weeks later, we got the second shot, and within 12 hours, I was laid on my ass. I felt worse than I did when I’m had the ‘active’ disease. But, it lasted only 24 hours.

Now, here’s the part I have a question about. Two days later, I woke up and felt great. No fatigue at all. No minor aches, other than my normal ones. It seems the second shot wiped out any lingering effects if the disease. Heck, the wife and I took out the kayaks for the first time this season.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I’m not scheduled to see a Doc until July, and I’ll ask there, but I’m just wondering if any of our resident Docs can shed some light on this?
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

sbworcs

Re: CoVid Vaccine Experience

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:58 pm

I had both Pfizer jabs (11 weeks apart as UK has different gaps between).

1st jab I had raised lump on arm, very sore arm but nothing else. 2nd Jab the same with the arm but the following day I could not get warm no matter what I tried. I did read somewhere that reported side effects for Pfizer were worse overall for the 2nd than the first with the reverse being true for Astra Zeneca which completely floored by brother-in-law when he had his first jab.

Not a Dr but just my comments!

Francoflier

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Nothing at all after the first one.
Nothing at all after the second one.
(Pfizer)

If it had been a clinical trial, I would have sworn I'd gotten the placebo...

N757ST

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Pfizer.

Nothing after both.

casinterest

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 pm

Pfizer, 1st shot, nothing other than a sore arm.
2nd shot 4 weeks later, Nothing so far and I am now +48 hours in
I did wake up this morning with a sore knee, and others I know have spoken of old injuries hurting after the shot. I took some Ibuprofen and feel fine now. Not sure if it was the result of exercise or the shot.

I never had a positive Covid test. I have heard that some folks that have had Covid-19 react strongly to the vaccines, either on the first or 2nd shot.

scbriml

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 pm

Pfizer for my first jab in mid Feb. Should get my second shot in the next three-four weeks.

Only side effect was a mildly achy arm for a couple of days and a slightly tender armpit.

johns624

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 pm

I had a "mild" case of Covid back in November. It just seemed like I was having a longer fall allergy bout than normal. It wasn't until my wife and I went for a walk and she was talking about cooking aromas coming from one house and fireplace smoke coming from another and I couldn't smell either, that I went in for a test. I got my first Pfizer near the end of March and my second dose on April 8th. No reaction other than a slightly sore shoulder, less than a tetanus or Shingrix shot.

noviorbis77

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:43 pm

Had AZ.

Slight headache next day and a bit drowsy, but that past.

It was probably least painful injection I’ve ever had.

Aesma

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 pm

Moderna early April. My doctor prescribed me paracetamol to take for 3 days from the morning of the day I got the shot, so that might have dampened any side effect. At first I had no reaction, then later in the day a sore arm, that transformed into a raised lump for a few days.

2nd shot is after 28 days so early May for me.

Here in France if you had COVID only one shot of vaccine is given.

DocLightning

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Now, here’s the part I have a question about. Two days later, I woke up and felt great. No fatigue at all. No minor aches, other than my normal ones. It seems the second shot wiped out any lingering effects if the disease. Heck, the wife and I took out the kayaks for the first time this season.

So you are not the only one who had "long-haul" symptoms that got cleared up by the vaccine, usually the second dose.

Nobody has any idea what the mechanism for this, but about 1/3 of "long-haulers" (by some estimates) are reporting this effect of the vaccines.

jetwet1

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:21 pm

Moderna

First shot a sore arm

Second shot, nothing the day off the shot, the next 3 days I was knocked flat by it. After that fine.

Kent350787

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:55 pm

Still waiting because of Australia's lagging program. My BIL in MA has had two Pfizer shots - 1st jab side effects were swelling and a general unwellness, so he planned a day off after his second but had no issues.

My 88yo mother had a her first (I assume) AZ jab last week, and didn't report any side-effects of note.

Elgorou

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 pm

First jab with Sinovac in march and only I had some dehydration, for the second shot one month after also some dehydration and a minor stomachache

fr8mech
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:05 am

DocLightning wrote:
So you are not the only one who had "long-haul" symptoms that got cleared up by the vaccine, usually the second dose.

Nobody has any idea what the mechanism for this, but about 1/3 of "long-haulers" (by some estimates) are reporting this effect of the vaccines.

That is both comforting and concerning. I'm glad that the lingering symptoms I felt are gone, but there's a lot we don't know about this thing.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:53 am

Moderna, no side effects either shot so they probably put saline in my arm.

johns624

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:41 am

My wife got the Moderna vaccine. The first one, a sore arm for a couple of days. Her second, fine the day of the injection. Woke up the next day with a fever that touched 101 for a short time and was generally in the 99-something range. By nighttime, she was pretty much back to normal.

panamair

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:19 am

Moderna here; have never tested positive before.
First shot: sore arm for about 12-18 hours, that was it.
Second shot: sore arm and some injection site swelling for about 3 days (less and less each day), and tremendous fatigue within 24-36 hours - knocked out and simply could not keep awake but no chills or aches or fever.

My 50+ year old sister and my 80 year-old mother both got the Pfizer. No reactions for either shot for my mother; sister no reaction first shot, aches and feverish after second.

In general, most surveys and research have shown that women and younger people have generally experienced more reactions than men and older folks, while more people have had reactions to Moderna than Pfizer.

dragon-wings

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:07 am

I got the Moderna vaccine. I got my first shot back in March (I forgot the exact date). Only had a sore arm where the shot was given. I got my second shot this past Friday (the 16th). Z few hours after the shot I got the chills and was achy all over, and I had a fever (101). I was all better by the next day (Saturday).

Chemist

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:19 am

I've never had COVID.
First jab (Pfizer) - sore arm for two days.
Second jab at 3 weeks - sore arm after a few hours, nothing else for about 18 hours, then fatigue and ran a fever for about 8 hours. Very tired, sleepy. Faded away by the second day. 64, M

GDB

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am

I'm afraid I am one of those annoying people who beyond a slight soreness after the jab, have no ill effects, I had my first (Pfizer) jab on 3rd Feb, no doubt early as I am listed as being on drugs that suppress the immune system, last Sunday I had the second one.
Same applies with every flu jab since I started them in 2000.

OA260

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 am

Astrazeneca-Oxford vaccine.Sore arm started about 10 hours after and lasted for 3 days. The day after having it I felt very tired and slept a lot.
Other then that nothing and so glad to have had it and cant wait for the second one. Just need a few green list countries now and its travel time.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 am

OA260 wrote:
Astrazeneca-Oxford vaccine.Sore arm started about 10 hours after and lasted for 3 days. The day after having it I felt very tired and slept a lot.
Other then that nothing and so glad to have had it and cant wait for the second one. Just need a few green list countries now and its travel time.

I understand Greece is about to open up. I need to go visit my Dad this summer.

OA260

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 am

fr8mech wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I understand Greece is about to open up. I need to go visit my Dad this summer.

Yes I have not seen my relatives for 18 months so eager to get back miss everything. I decided not to visit last Summer as two have underlying conditions and did not want to risk their health. They were both vaccinated with the Pfizer last month in Athens and they said they had no issues
at all. Will be a great reunion.

KFTG

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Pfizer here. 1st dose, just some tiredness about 6 hours after the jab. Then, about 10 days later, I developed a rash like symptom that looked like rosacea. I reported this to the CDC via Vsafe. They are still there, but definitely going away. I am now 2 weeks past my 2nd dose, which I had no issues whatsoever with.

AirPacific747

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:20 pm

Still waiting and I'm gonna have to wait till July/august, because im in the very last group in the population that is being offered a vaccine, plus the fact that the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine has been discontinued here and maybe the J&J vaccine will not be used either.. so it's a long wait for me

lightsaber

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 pm

DocLightning wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Pfizer

My long haul symptoms are tinnitus, reduced taste, and smell.

My tinnitus went away for yesterday afternoon, but alas is back. My doctor hopes the vaccine will help, but it could take months.

I had coronavirus 2/17/21 (1st day of symptoms).

After 1st vaccine, I had a bad headache starting 5 hours after the jab that lasted 4 hours. Nothing else other than tured, so I went to bed early.

13 days after first jab my tinnitus became 20X worse for 4 days. My doctor had pre-warned me that this is a normal healing symptom when the vaccine kicks in.

My second jab created a milder headache and 5 days of mild flu symptoms. Tinnitus became worse, but within normal fluctuations, so who knows if vaccine related.

8 days after dose 2, my tinnitus became unbearable, I took time off work. Day 9 after 2nd jab, afternoon, no tinnitus for first time in almost 2 months. Day 10, tinnitus is back. But my doctor had warned this could be the healing pattern.

From coronavirus, I cannot taste animal fat nor some fried foods (even if fried in vegitible oil). So favorites like ice cream, cheese, lamb, hamburger, or bacon, why bother? They are not yummy. French fries and fried potatoe chips are blech.... I lost wright until I could again taste chocolate and peanut butter (happened about 2 weeks after jab #1).

I have healed markedly since having the vaccine (taste more, smell more), but I am far from 100%. e.g., I can smell wine once per day and then... I cannot smell that wonderful smell after first sensation. I couldn't smell a trash can needed emptying until about 16 days after jab #1. (Oh yea, that smell is fully back.)

I also couldn't smell other people's body odor until 8 days after jab #2. Ummm... yea for smell returning. We'll just say the awareness was an awkward moment.

I was fatigued by the 2nd jab for 9 days, now I'm not. I swear I can "feel" the vaccine turning on both times; so can my cousins. This is day 10 post 2nd jab.

I will get a booster ASAP for new variants.

One if my cousins had barely any taste post coronavirus. (coffee and a hint of steak, that is it). 8 days after 1st jab a headache and fatigue. Day 9 a hint of new tastes at breakfast. (Stand by, still healing.)

Lightsaber

OA260

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:57 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Still waiting and I'm gonna have to wait till July/august, because im in the very last group in the population that is being offered a vaccine, plus the fact that the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine has been discontinued here and maybe the J&J vaccine will not be used either.. so it's a long wait for me

Some people are turning to vaccine tours to Russia if they cant get it in their home country.

What is vaccine tourism and which European travel companies are offering trips?

www.euronews.com/travel/amp/2021/04/16/ ... ring-trips

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:03 pm

dragon-wings wrote:
I got the Moderna vaccine. I got my first shot back in March (I forgot the exact date). Only had a sore arm where the shot was given. I got my second shot this past Friday (the 16th). Z few hours after the shot I got the chills and was achy all over, and I had a fever (101). I was all better by the next day (Saturday).

I got my doses the exact days as yours. Not one single side effect. It's so weird.

victrola

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:03 pm

First Pfizer shot, slight soreness in my arm. Second Pfizer. Slight chills and fever 10 hours later that evening. Fatigue most of the next day. 48 hours later, I felt fine.

stlgph

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Two Dolly Partons.

Knocked on my ass.
Squeeee!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:31 pm

First Moderna, nasty sore arm, but nothing else. Second one, four weeks later at 1045, sore arm, 12 hours after the shot, started with chills, achy feeling. Went to bed with chills, woke up 2 hours later with mild fever and headache, joints aching. Lousy night’s sleep. Got up, nothing but joints aching the next day. Took some Tylenol, good night’s sleep and back to 100%.

stratosphere

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 pm

First Moderna sore arm nothing else..Second Moderna sore arm and about 8 days later got a rash under the injection site they call it covid arm. Rash went away after a day no other symptoms.

ANITIX87

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:53 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Older people seem to be having far fewer side effects. I guess you're older than you act after all!

ANITIX87

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:56 pm

I had arm soreness after dose 1.

After dose 2, I took acetaminophen immediately after the injection and kept taking more after the prescribed time, regardless of how I felt. I had a sore arm and ended up with a mild fever (37.6C/99.7F) roughly 20 hours after the injection. Took a two-hour nap and woke up feeling completely fine. No other issues.

deltairlines

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm

Had Johnson & Johnson a couple of days after it came out (think it was on March 15 that I got it). Had no side effects whatsoever.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:19 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Older people seem to be having far fewer side effects. I guess you're older than you act after all!

LOL I am sticking to the theory that they gave me saline.

flyingclrs727

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:20 pm

I'm in one of the Moderna trials and got my doses in August and September of 2020. Both times I had some discomfort in my arm that disappeared in a couple of days. The second injection caused a bigger reaction and an elevated temperature about 8 hours after the injection that went away by the next morning without taking any medication for pain or fever.

I had to read and sign a long disclosure agreement before I was allowed to get my medical history recorded and physical prior to getting my first injection. After getting my physical, I had to wait in a room with several other participants for about 30 minutes for the injectable fluid to be taken from storage and warmed enough to be injected. After the injection I had to stay at least 30 minutes in the study center's break room. I actually spent closer to an hour after the first injection, because I had to have my temperature and blood pressure recorded, and the cellphone app had to be installed on my phone and initialized so I could record information into my electronic diary. Then I had to fill out my first report into the diary. They gave me a tote bag full of things for the "Cove study". They had a booklet with instructions plus notes, a digital thermometer, T-shirt, and a branded bottle if "Cove study" hand sanitizer to keep in my pocket. By the time I got out, it had been over 5 hours after entering the study center.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:38 pm

A work colleague had the first AZ vaccine shot and was heavily affected by it, bad fatigue, feeling very unwell for a few days. Now okay.

flyingclrs727

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:52 pm

I'm in one of the Moderna trials and got my doses in August and September of 2020. Both times I had some discomfort in my arm that disappeared in a couple of days. The second injection caused a bigger reaction and an elevated temperature about 8 hours after the injection that went away by the next morning without taking any medication for pain or fever.

I had to read and sign a long disclosure agreement before I was allowed to get my medical history recorded and physical prior to getting my first injection. After getting my physical, I got 8 vials of blood taken which can be kept up to 15 years for future studies. I had to wait in a room with several other participants for about 30 minutes for the injectable fluid to be taken from storage and warmed enough to be injected. After the injection I had to stay at least 30 minutes in the study center's break room. I actually spent closer to an hour after the first injection, because I had to have my temperature and blood pressure recorded, and the cellphone app had to be installed on my phone and initialized so I could record information into my electronic diary. I had to enter more information in my electronic diary every day for the next week., then weekly. They also called me on the phone. Then I had to fill out my first report into the diary. They gave me a tote bag full of things for the "Cove study". They had a booklet with instructions plus notes, a digital thermometer, T-shirt, and a branded bottle if "Cove study" hand sanitizer to keep in my pocket. By the time I got out, it had been over 4 hours after entering the study center.

The second time was quicker. After a mini-physical, they took another 8 vials of blood and had me fill out more entries in my electronic diary over the next week plus follow up phone calls. The second injection was more uncomfortable than the first, but the discomfort went away after a couple of days.

A month later I had another appointment to get a mini-physical, and get 8 vials of blood drawn one month after the second injection. I was then told I wouldn't have to come back for 5 months (early March, 6 months post second injection).

At the end of December I was called to tell me that Moderna was unblinding their COVID-19 vaccine trial. As I suspected that I got the vaccine not the placebo based on side effects, I was not in a hurry to be unblinded. At the end of February I was called about my 6 month post second injection visit. I wanted that to be the same time as the unblinding, but I was told they had to be separate appointments. I scheduled the 6 month appointment for the end of the next week (the first week of March) and my unblinding for mid-March. As there would be blood draws, I opted not to schedule the appointment s on back to back dates. The next day I got a call from the trial center, and they said Moderna wanted everyone unblinded by the end of the next week which was the first week of March. I had them just swap the two appointments.

I went in the next week. During the physical and pre-unblinding interview with the physician, I told him I suspected I got the vaccine and not the placebo. Although he did not have that information in front of him, he smiled. The form I had to sign had several options. I chose to be vaccinated if I were in the control group. I then went to a room where people were waiting to be vaccinated. About 15 minutes later another physician approached me and told me I had been vaccinated in the trial and gave me my card documenting the dates I had been vaccinated. I was then free to go.

About 10 days later I had my 6 month post second injection visit. All they needed was my temperature, blood pressure and 8 more vials of blood. I don't have to go back for another visit til September for my 1 year post second injection visit. I still have occasional phone calls and requests to fill out my electronic diary.

Chaostheory

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Had the Pfizer as part of a research study in December with a second dose 6 weeks later mid-Feb.

My arm felt like someone had punched it repeatedly after the first shot. No reaction with the second.

Wife had the Pfizer with no reaction either.

Parents had the AZ with slight fever response and headaches. Siblings in the US are mainly having Pfizer or Moderna with a mixed bag of reactions. A cousin did develop a clot in her axillary a week after the moderna jab but whether it's related is unknown.

LittleFokker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:41 pm

Had the J&J. Was fine immediately afterwards, but the following day experienced light nausea and muscle aches. By the 2nd day I was fine and no issues since.

JJJ

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:08 am

Wife had AZ shot a few weeks back. No reaction but she was advised to take 1.000mg paracetamol right before the shot (which she did).

I won't probably be having mine until at least June.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:21 am

JJJ wrote:
Wife had AZ shot a few weeks back. No reaction but she was advised to take 1.000mg paracetamol right before the shot (which she did).

I won't probably be having mine until at least June.

We were specifically told not to take Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen unless symptoms became uncomfortable. Something about the drugs slowing the vaccine down.

I ignored that, and took my regular, doctor recommended dosage of Ibuprofen.

cledaybuck

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Got Pfizer. Never had Covid to my knowledge
First shot: very sore arm (hurt to lift above my shoulder) and a mild headache
Second shot: very sore arm, sweat/chills, very fatigued. Started about 12ish hours after the shot and lasted about 24 hours.

melpax

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:33 pm

Went to the local chemist's with my mum a few days ago for our flu shots. The pharmacist advised my mum to monitor her blood pressure & blood sugar levels for 2 weeks before having her COVID shot. Heart palpitations are a common side affect with the AZ vaccine apparently, which is what over-50's are given here in Australia. I'll have to wait until later in the year for my shot (not in a priority group), which will most likely be the Pfizer one from what's being reported here. Any over 50's who don't want the AZ vaccine have been told that they will also have to wait until later this year.

ER757

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:03 pm

I had a very mild case of COVID last June but had some of the lasting after effects (insomnia, anxiety) for several months. Got the Pfizer vaccine, first dose mid February, 2nd three weeks later. Only effects I felt at all after either one was a sore arm for a day or two in the arm where I got the injections. My cousin did have an experience similar to yours after the 2nd one (also Pfizer) and a friend of mine had a low grade fever the day after her 2nd Moderna dose, so it seems if affects everyone a little differently

Aesma

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:44 pm

OA260 : I know there is vaccine tourism in the UAE too. I would avoid the Russian one. I think Sputnik is an OK vaccine but I wouldn't trust I would actually get it...

With vaccine hesitancy and increased production I think the forecast for having to wait till July or August are pessimistic, vaccines will probably be available quicker than that for those that want it. Especially if governments don't implement covid passports aside from international travel.

GDB wrote:
I'm afraid I am one of those annoying people who beyond a slight soreness after the jab, have no ill effects, I had my first (Pfizer) jab on 3rd Feb, no doubt early as I am listed as being on drugs that suppress the immune system, last Sunday I had the second one.
Same applies with every flu jab since I started them in 2000.

There might be a link there, a reaction means your immune system is doing something. Vaccine works regardless so you should be good anyway.

Antaras

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:55 pm

Just got my first Pfizer yesterday.

Now seems like my right arm is not belonging to my body anymore.......

DeltaPSCFlyer

Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:04 pm

Moderna - I'm a 47-year old Male

1st shot on March 15th: achy arm/shoulder for the first few days, nothing more.
2nd shot on April 13th: achy arm/shoulder for the first day. That night I felt a very slight chill. Next day, slightly fatigued, reminded me of a mild case of jet lag

I'm now 3 days away from being considered fully vaccinated!

IADCA

Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:37 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Got Pfizer. Never had Covid to my knowledge
First shot: very sore arm (hurt to lift above my shoulder) and a mild headache
Second shot: very sore arm, sweat/chills, very fatigued. Started about 12ish hours after the shot and lasted about 24 hours.

This is exactly what my report on Pfizer is except the fatigue seems to have stuck around in lesser form for roughly 72 hours after second shot. I'm healthy and mid-30s.