Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: Just when I thought US politicians could never surprise me again...

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Again:

REPUBLICANS led by MCCONNELL refused to seat or have hearings on Obama's court nominees so all those seats remained vacant until after the 2016 election. Whine all you want about Democrats and "liberals" and Clinton and Obama, but this is squarely on REPUBLICAN and MCCONNELL and MAGA shoulders.

Not Clinton
Not Obama
Not "liberals"
Not Pelosi

The courts were packed AFTER the 2016 election when MAGA got control.

It all comes down to this. Republicans are not democracy centric. They are fascist centric at this point, because they know they can't keep forcing minority oppression on the majority without it.

The current court makeup is going to probably help further destroy Republican centric states economies as more people move to the purple and blue states.

As the Democrats have moved left, they are the ones who have been shedding voters outside of major cities. They can’t win under the Constitutional rules, so they’re hell bent on changing them to favor themselves. I’d call that unconstitutional by people who claim to embrace it.

The democrats have moved left by abandoning, misogynistic, racist, religious centric, and "common sense" laws in favor of equality, science, health and infrastructure centric plans for all.

The right wing, just wants to preserve old and poor ways of doing things as long as they can , while destroying their towns and families as the kids and educationally able folks move to the cities.

Newark727

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:45 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
As the Democrats have moved left, they are the ones who have been shedding voters outside of major cities. They can’t win under the Constitutional rules, so they’re hell bent on changing them to favor themselves. I’d call that unconstitutional by people who claim to embrace it.

Experience in my state suggests that isn't really true. California went from being the state that gave us Prop. 13, Ronald Reagan, and Pete Wilson, to a Republican superminority in the state legislature and a 60/40 split for Clinton and Biden. Yet at the same time as that Biden victory, a lot of progressive issues on the ballot were solidly voted down, such as a major revision to Prop. 13, ending cash bail, and treating Uber drivers as employees rather than contractors. Feinstein survived a primary challenge to her Senate seat from the left. It's not just urban/rural, either; Inyo County, total population less than 20,000 over 10,192 square miles and solidly Republican for every presidential election since Johnson in 1964, broke slightly for Biden as well.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
They can’t win under the Constitutional rules...

The most recent election would seem to disagree with you.

While undeniably true, why the rush to bring sure thing Democrat PR and DC as states—pack the Senate. Why pack the courts because you haven’t been able to assuredly win the Senate after decades of Democratic rule in both houses from 1933 to 1994. A few changes, but mostly Democrat for 60 years.

Newark727

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

While undeniably true, why the rush to bring sure thing Democrat PR and DC as states—pack the Senate. Why pack the courts because you haven’t been able to assuredly win the Senate after decades of Democratic rule in both houses from 1933 to 1994. A few changes, but mostly Democrat for 60 years.

New states have been admitted to the Union 37 times - it's about as "under the Constitutional rules" as you can get.

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:11 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The hoodwinked were the Democrats who, on the pay of Goldman Sachs

The delusion...it really is a mental disorder.

Lloyd Blankfein: So Many Goldman Sachs Alums in Trump Admin Is 'Inconvenience'

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... ce-n757076

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
How else can you explain the 2016 vote?

White rage. Or "eConoMiC anXieTy". as y'all like to call it.

Newark727 wrote:

Interesting to bring up those names specifically, given that SV billionaire Peter Thiel spoke at the 2016 RNC and former Goldman Sachs exec Steve Mnuchin was Trump's Secretary of the Treasury.

Working class voters just really wanted a zillion Goldman Sachs alumns and military generals to speak for their values. *cough* White *cough* working class...

Enjoy your victimhood, you’ve earned it!

The projection continues. What are you whining about today? The woke mob? Biden coming for your meat? A plastic potato's gender? Dr Seuss racist cartoons? Masks? Antifa? Non existent voter fraud? So many imaginary boogeymen to worry about!

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

While undeniably true, why the rush to bring sure thing Democrat PR and DC as states

Why do you hate American citizens voting?

seb146

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Democrats gave us health care overhaul and marriage equality and voting rights for minorities. That is why they are losing in the rural areas. Voters in rural areas have been told for years that those things are "liberal" and "liberal" is a catch-all term for hating America.

Again, REPUBLICANS packed the courts because McConnell decided it was in the nation's best interest to have Obama not do his job. We The People spoke and decided Democrats are the way to lead the country. After four years of REPUBLICANS obstructing everything that We The People want.

You all demanded we line up in lock step behind MAGA after 2016. You all demand bipartisanship. Maybe walk your talk. Instead of demanding we all do what the minority party wants, you all do what We The People want.

LCDFlight

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 pm

I agree government officials are usually complete clowns, and at worst, quite dangerous to us all.

This is why government should be as small as possible. It should probably be one third the size it is.

LMP737

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Go ahead and change it—there’s several processes to do just that—a group of anti-drink women combined with power-hungry progressives have us Prohibition. It’s been amended several times on those 70-100 years, you just don’t want to do the work required. Big difference

You are leaving the part out where ant-immigrant sentiment in this country also played a major role in the Volstead Act being passed. I don't think it's a coincidence that four years latter the Immigration Act of 1924 came along.

luckyone

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:37 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

That’s a neat little bit of hyperbole there that ignores two things:
1. The majority of Americans live in or near a major city — depending on the source the precise number will vary 5% points or so, but overall less than a quarter of Americans live in a rural area or an area away from major cities. So do please tell us how the GOP can consistently win an election with only those voters while the cities vote Democrat.
2. The traditionally Republican-voting suburbs voted Blue and cost Trump the 2020 election (and in Georgia specifically the GOP the Senate due to his deranged behavior in the two months that followed).

Nice joke though.

Virtual737
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

While undeniably true, why the rush to bring sure thing Democrat PR and DC as states

Earlier in the thread you used the phrase "As was it their right to do so" for a GOP action. Why not just accept the same for the other side? In terms of rush, how far into a 3 year term (ignoring the 4th lame duck year) is not considered too soon?

LMP737

Sun May 02, 2021 1:57 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Yes, that's why republicans in Arizona are having a blatantly patrician organization "recount" the vote in Maricopa county. Or why the Georgia legislature is striping a lot of powers the Secretary of State has and giving it to the legislature. Wonder why that is? Oh yeah, he didn't hand the election over to their master,