Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Virtual737
Topic Author

Just when I thought US politicians could never surprise me again...

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcBbvLOJR8

How in the world do you accuse another of something you've just publicly done yourself while the whole world was watching?

It makes it even funnier to know that the judges Trump forced through at the end of his turn voted against his own idiocy.

NIKV69

Re: Just when I thought US politicians could never surprise me again...

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Trump didn't force anything through, he filled an empty seat. It's a non issue as well since Biden doesn't have Sinema or Manchin on board with court packing.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:52 pm

A non-issue? Some quotes from his speech:

"Their first priority is to change the rules to stay in power."
"They don't believe in democracy"
"They don't believe in the voters"
"There's a real simple path to that - convince the voters your ideas are right"

and my favourite:

"They are trying to change voting in America so that Democrats never lose".

Sounds awfully familiar.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

and my favourite:

Sounds awfully familiar.

Ask yourself this. If the Supreme court was predominately liberal and The District Of Columbia was far right and red would the Dems be doing what they are doing?

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

and my favourite:

Sounds awfully familiar.

Ask yourself this. If the Supreme court was predominately liberal and The District Of Columbia was far right and red would the Dems be doing what they are doing?

I've pointed out the hypocrisy in Cruz's speech. I have no say in what happens in the US, nor will it likely affect me in the short term, so I'm not sure i care too much. I just find it fascinating how spineless ALL politicians can be and how it seems that the US is top of the pile.

johns624

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Poor Teddy thinks that growing that awful looking beard is camouflaging those extra chins he's grown since he's gained all that weight. It's not. It gives new meaning to the old term "feeding at the public trough". While I don't agree that the SCOTUS should be enlarged, changing things in the ruling party's favor is something that both parties do. They never seem to think that it'll come back to bite them when the other side regains power, but it always does.

casinterest

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Ted Cruz is a lying corrupt two faced disgrace. There is no other way around it. He is a member of the Banana Republic Party that waited 11 months to fill a seat, but wasted less than 60 days rushing a nominee through. He wants to talk about packing courts as if he and every corrupt member of the GOP aren't trying to fundamentally alter voting rights for every citizen.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Francoflier

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Lol. Ted Cruz... the store brand Donald Trump.

And I don't know what's so surprising. Extreme hypocrisy has been a tenet of the Republican party since 2016.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:00 pm

Francoflier wrote:

And I don't know what's so surprising. Extreme hypocrisy has been a tenet of the Republican party since 2016.

You make a valid point. More fool me.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:03 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

and my favourite:

Sounds awfully familiar.

Would someone cars to answer the question above?

FGITD

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:14 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

and my favourite:

Sounds awfully familiar.

Of course not.

Ask yourself this:

If the president was a democrat, and a Supreme Court justice died 11 months prior to the election, do you think republicans would make up their own rules to block a nomination?

Follow up-

If the president was a republican, and a Supreme Court justice died literally weeks before the election, do you think they’d go back on their own “rules” so they can push through a nominee in a week?

You cannot look at what dems are doing now and say it’s taking advantage of the situation, without also admitting that much of the bad faith hypocrisies originated under republicans

NIKV69

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

I've pointed out the hypocrisy in Cruz's speech..

So what did the GOP do to change the rules? What hypocrisy? There is no rule that says you can't fill an empty SCOTUS seat just because its an election year.

scbriml

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

and my favourite:

Sounds awfully familiar.

That's not how a rhetorical question works. ;)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:26 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
What hypocrisy?

The lines that I enclosed in quotes on the 3rd post in the topic.

casinterest

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:31 pm

scbriml wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

It is for the GOP. They don't want to solve problems. They want to point to hypotheticals that wouldn't matter if the GOP were honorable in the first place.

IE Federal Court nominees/Supreme Court packing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:49 pm

casinterest wrote:
scbriml wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

It is for the GOP. They don't want to solve problems. They want to point to hypotheticals that wouldn't matter if the GOP were honorable in the first place.

Just a guess here, but both parties do it, it’s called politics. Which brings up why do give these narcissistic, incompetent idiots any power at all?

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:58 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
[Which brings up why do give these narcissistic, incompetent idiots any power at all?

That's not a bad question. At least it makes for some "interesting" YouTube finds. In many ways I admire Putin's absolute dominance (but not the way he achieves it). Change the laws so he can stay in power and make anyone who opposes him disappear. Even when such actions are almost impossible to deny, just deny it any way.

I live in a country where it's not all that different, but can't add too many specifics as I'd be breaking the law, with extremely harsh penalties.

johns624

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Just a guess here, but both parties do it, it’s called politics. Which brings up why do give these narcissistic, incompetent idiots any power at all?
I I agree. All they care about is their party. They are shortsighted and never think that they'll ever be out of power and the shoe will be on the other foot. Both sides are equally good/bad at it. They're all idiots!

cledaybuck

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:41 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Which brings up why do give these narcissistic, incompetent idiots any power at all?

We the people literally picked these people via elections to run the country.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:42 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
What hypocrisy?

I read them which is why I am asking what rule did they change? Trump didn't change the rules with the SCOTUS he followed the existing ones.

casinterest

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:50 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
scbriml wrote:

We shouldn't, but currently the GOP is not being run rationally.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -13-charts

There are some deep underlying issues in the GOP, chief of which is that the mental ward is running the ship.

The democrats have their mental cases, but so far they remain in check. But not if you listen to certain media centers that try to convince their conspiracy minded listeners the opposite.

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
What hypocrisy?

I read them which is why I am asking what rule did they change? Trump didn't change the rules with the SCOTUS he followed the existing ones.

Why Trump specifically?

How about the voter reform going on in Georgia? We didn't win, so we'll make it harder for those that didn't vote for us to make it to the polls. We'll make it illegal to supply food and water to those in a queue to poll.

How about putting the same effort into ensuring the queues aren't so long in the first place WITHOUT reducing the number of those who can vote.

I think I've written before, but I'm (clearly) not above repeating myself. The US puts itself on a pedestal as the model democracy when it's likely more broken than most others. I'm not saying for one second that the blues are perfect, but the reds seem to use the word "radical" more than any other and, from a distance, are the dictionary definition.

I also find it interesting that in the UK I would be deemed a Conservative Blue, very much against many of the policies from the Labour Red, but in the US I'd very much be classed as a Liberal Blue. My US position wouldn't be so much that I admire everything Democrat or support all of their policies, but that the Reds are just total nutters, loopy beyond belief and I can't believe anything they say. That Trump could be voted in, let alone adored by millions is just beyond all comprehension.

I can't change it, so I just have to laugh at it.

seb146

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:04 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

and my favourite:

Sounds awfully familiar.

Stop the whataboutisms. We all know McConnell blocked many of Obama's nominees which left many court seats open. That is how MAGAs were able to be seated. Remember how eight months before a major election was too soon to have hearings and seat a Supreme Court justice but a vacancy just two weeks before an election is fine?

Stop dealing with hypotheticals and deal with the reality that Republicans only want power and only want to be the only political party in the Untied States.

EDIT:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ns/598243/

Republicans didn't have any problem stacking the Senate in their favor with North Dakota and South Dakota were admitted separately and gave Republicans FOUR Senate seats....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:13 pm

seb146 wrote:

Stop dealing with hypotheticals and deal with the reality that Republicans only want power and only want to be the only political party in the Untied States.

Although I totally agree with the sentiment, to try and apply at least some kind of balance, isn't that the number 1 goal of any political party?

readytotaxi

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:18 pm

I think you can recognise this type of political behaviour in many governments around the world.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Virtual737
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:24 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I think you can recognise this type of political behaviour in many governments around the world.

You can, but you can also respect the man while disagreeing with the ideology.

For example, I like hearing George Dubblya speak. I love his sense of humour and on balance believe he's a decent man. That he could never have gotten anywhere near the Presidency without being his father's son is irrelevant.

Similar with Obama. A decent guy. Comes across very well, head of a decent balanced family, intelligent and with a great sense of humour.

I'm sure there would be many policies of both that I wouldn't agree with, and several decisions that I might think were wrong, but I wouldn't even begin to judge either of them based on party affiliation.

Trump, Cruz, Mc-whatshisface and the disgrace that is MTG, how in the world do they even begin to be respected?

LMP737

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:16 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Trump didn't force anything through, he filled an empty seat. It's a non issue as well since Biden doesn't have Sinema or Manchin on board with court packing.

You left the part out where one of those seats was filled due to the incredible dishonesty of one Mitch McConnel.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

seb146

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:52 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Although I totally agree with the sentiment, to try and apply at least some kind of balance, isn't that the number 1 goal of any political party?

No, both sides do not do it. Democrats are open to the idea of more parties and sharing power. So, no, both sides do not do it.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:31 pm

LMP737 wrote:

You left the part out where one of those seats was filled due to the incredible dishonesty of one Mitch McConnel.

Obama didn't have the votes for Garland in the Senate. It has nothing to do with McConnell.

luckyone

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Good ol' Rafa Cruz. After years of flying under the radar he's looking for every cheap headline he can find and hope we forget about his Green Eggs and Ham moment, having his daughter refuse to let him kiss her, the fact that he couldn't even defend his wife, and his unprecedented and unfounded 10 day election commission cruzade.

Francoflier wrote:
Lol. Ted Cruz... the store brand Donald Trump...

Boy isn't that the truth.

johns624 wrote:
Poor Teddy thinks that growing that awful looking beard is camouflaging those extra chins he's grown since he's gained all that weight. It's not.

I think Sen. Cruz's image change was a conscious effort not to look like the guy who got slimed by Donald Trump in the 2016 primaries.

Aaron747

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:55 pm

luckyone wrote:
Good ol' Rafa Cruz. After years of flying under the radar he's looking for every cheap headline he can find and hope we forget about his Green Eggs and Ham moment, having his daughter refuse to let him kiss her, the fact that he couldn't even defend his wife, and his unprecedented and unfounded 10 day election commission cruzade.

Francoflier wrote:
Lol. Ted Cruz... the store brand Donald Trump...

Boy isn't that the truth.

johns624 wrote:
Poor Teddy thinks that growing that awful looking beard is camouflaging those extra chins he's grown since he's gained all that weight. It's not.

I think Sen. Cruz's image change was a conscious effort not to look like the guy who got slimed by Donald Trump in the 2016 primaries.

All slimy creatures undergo some kind of metamorphosis.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

alfa164

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

Obama didn't have the votes for Garland in the Senate. It has nothing to do with McConnell.

You have no idea whether that is right or not, because McConnell didn't even have the courtesy to give him an interview, much less a hearing.

Indeed, if it was such a "sure thing" that Garland didn't have the votes, why was McConnell afraid to take allow vote in the Senate?

:roll:

Aaron747 wrote:

I am still waiting to see McConnell's.

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

luckyone

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:18 pm

alfa164 wrote:

Aaron747 wrote:

I am still waiting to see McConnell's.

;)

I'm convinced at least one of them is Cersei Lannister and the Faceless Man.

johns624

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:20 pm

Rafael kissed his chances of any higher office goodbye when he flew to Mexico. He should've stayed there.

ER757

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

Come on man - that's a red herring. Mitch wouldn't even hold a hearing saying it was too close to an election and the people should decide on who will make the nomination. The EXACT same scenario four years later but with a clear possibility that his guy wasn't going to win so holds hearings on a nominee and gets her appointed. The very definition of a hypocrite.

Oh, and Ted Cruz is a horse's ass - he has a face that begs to be punched :box:

seb146

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:46 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

We will never know because McConnell and Republicans refused to even hold confirmation hearings.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/29/62446725 ... atters-now

LMP737

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:01 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Uh, thank you for proving the dishonesty of the Republican party.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:50 am

casinterest wrote:
Ted Cruz is a lying corrupt two faced disgrace. There is no other way around it. He is a member of the Banana Republic Party that waited 11 months to fill a seat, but wasted less than 60 days rushing a nominee through. He wants to talk about packing courts as if he and every corrupt member of the GOP aren't trying to fundamentally alter voting rights for every citizen.

I wished Cruz would return or be deported back to Canada, where he was born. He shouldn't even be a Senator.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:

It has nothing to do with McConnell.

Garland's comfimation hearings? Oh, yes he did. McConnell was the one who refused to conduct the hearing confirmation. He flat out said that he was not going to hold the hearing until after the 2016 election, depending on who won that election. Sorry, but it had a LOT to do with McConnell. A lot!!!

luckyone

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:30 am

AirframeAS wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I wished Cruz would return or be deported back to Canada, where he was born. He shouldn't even be a Senator.

Though I’m no fan of Rafa Cruz, his birth in Canada prevents him from being a Senator.

johns624

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:48 am

luckyone wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Though I’m no fan of Rafa Cruz, his birth in Canada prevents him from being a Senator.
Unfortunately, it doesn't. Read the Constitution, Article One, Section 3.
https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/

Virtual737
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:53 am

johns624 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

I thought Cruz had Presidential ambitions. At least that path should be closed to him.

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:58 am

Virtual737 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I thought Cruz had Presidential ambitions. At least that path should be closed to him.

He isn't U.S. born, so he cannot be POTUS.

Virtual737
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:01 am

AirframeAS wrote:

Even though I live literally the opposite side of the world, I shall sleep better knowing that. Doesn't save me from a second Trump term or, god forbid, the elevation of MTG though.

luckyone

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:31 am

Virtual737 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I'm sorry, that was a typo! Thank you for catching it. Yes I meant to say that he is eligible to be Senator, in spite of his Canadian birth. I swear iPhone likes to randomly screw with me sometimes when I type things.

luckyone

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:33 am

Virtual737 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

Even though I live literally the opposite side of the world, I shall sleep better knowing that. Doesn't save me from a second Trump term or, god forbid, the elevation of MTG though.

Interpretation of the Constitution states that since his mother was a US citizen at the time of his birth, he's a natural born US citizen, as opposed to a naturalized citizen, and is eligible to hold the office. He wouldn't have been able to put forth his candidacy in 2016 otherwise. A fact that a few loud conservatives conveniently overlooked for years with then-President Obama.

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:51 am

luckyone wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

Interpretation of the Constitution states that since his mother was a US citizen at the time of his birth, he's a natural born US citizen, as opposed to a naturalized citizen, and is eligible to hold the office. He wouldn't have been able to put forth his candidacy in 2016 otherwise. A fact that a few loud conservatives conveniently overlooked for years with then-President Obama.

I don't think Cruz is eligible to hold POTUS. I honestly don't think it matters where the parents are born. Care to show me where it states that foreign born U.S. citizens can become POTUS?

luckyone

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:56 am

AirframeAS wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

I don't think Cruz is eligible to hold POTUS. I honestly don't think it matters where the parents are born. Care to show me where it states that foreign born U.S. citizens can become POTUS?

https://www.politifact.com/article/2015 ... nt-update/

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:41 am

luckyone wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
luckyone wrote:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2015 ... nt-update/

In other words, there is really no anwser even though we have the Naturalization Act of 1790. At some point, I hope the SCOTUS will rule on how to handle this issue. Hopefully, Cruz will never become POTUS.

alfa164

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:43 am

AirframeAS wrote:

Unfortunately, his being born in Canada - to a mother who was a US citizen - does not disqualify, according to most legal interpertations.

His being an insufferable, arrogant buffoon does disqualify him... in my book...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....