Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
caliboy93
Topic Author
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:18 pm

How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8210
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 pm

Why? Do we reward people for getting the flu vaccine? Do we reward people for getting their kids vaccinated? Do we reward people for getting an annual physical?

I guess an insurance company may consider a reward, but probably not, since the vast majority of people with COVID are told to stay away from their doctor.

In the near future the only folks they’ll have the potential to hurt are themselves.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2651
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:53 am

caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Frankly, make it a condition of the 4th US stimulus.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:03 am

Pellegrine wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Frankly, make it a condition of the 4th US stimulus.
I don't see a need for a 4th check. The vaccine is available to anyone who wants it and many businesses are hiring.
 
cpd
Posts: 6764
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:37 am

caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Do the people who already have been wearing masks get back-pay for doing so? ;)

Remember, we put ourselves at risk from those 5G chips that we were told were in the masks...

Why should the objectors only profit from this?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14945
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:46 am

johns624 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Frankly, make it a condition of the 4th US stimulus.
I don't see a need for a 4th check. The vaccine is available to anyone who wants it and many businesses are hiring.


Probably not but a lot of people will still need extensions on unemployment benefits. Businesses are hiring but a lot of estimates say full job recovery could be well into 2023.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23714
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:17 am

cpd wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Do the people who already have been wearing masks get back-pay for doing so? ;)

Remember, we put ourselves at risk from those 5G chips that we were told were in the masks...

Why should the objectors only profit from this?


Yours were in the masks???? I was told mine was in the nasal swabs!!! :)
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5498
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:23 am

Pellegrine wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Frankly, make it a condition of the 4th US stimulus.


Can't make it a requirement until everyone can be offered a vaccine. I don't know how they handle it in the US, but in my country such a rule would mean only pensioners and medical staff were eligible for a stimulus.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:23 am

Reward them by lowering their risk of succumbing to the virus and allowing them to travel to foreign lands that are likely to require some kind of vaccine passport.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8210
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:48 am

Pellegrine wrote:

Frankly, make it a condition of the 4th US stimulus.


What about those that aren’t eligible for a 4th stimulus...or 1-3 either?

If people got their collective panties in a wad about the free Krispy Kreme donut, what do you think the backlash would be on tying some kind of monetary bonus* for getting jabbed?

https://www.today.com/food/krispy-kreme ... le-t213204

*If you consider getting your own money back a bonus.

Get the shot, don’t get the shot, it’s up to the individual.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9056
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:49 am

Staying alive
Keeping most of the lung capacity
Having brain at maximum functional capacity
Living full life and dying with loved ones on bed side
Having proper funeral

Last but not least
Free laminated vaccine card at Staples and free Krispy Kreme Donut
All posts are just opinions.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15708
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 am

Form some a payment for transportation, taking time from their jobs if an employer won't pay for time off to get the Covid-19 shots may be necessary. We can also expand distribution to local churches, community centers, pharmacies, retail store locations so more convenient to access or for the housebound due to health or not having a car, bring it to their homes.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Health insurers, whether private or public, should massively increase the copay for Covid treatment for those who have not been vaccinated because they refuse to.

Your personal 'freedom' to not get vaccinated does not mean others should have to pay for the potential consequences of your choice.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8210
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Health insurers, whether private or public, should massively increase the copay for Covid treatment for those who have not been vaccinated because they refuse to.


How many would that affect? I personally know Zero people who sought medical help, other than a phone call...maybe, who had COVID. Three of us in this house had it, none saw a doctor to treat.

Some acquaintances have had family members who died of COVID, or where COVID was a co-morbidity, and presumably they sought medical help, but, anecdotally, that number isn’t that high, as a percentage of the whole population.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Frankly, make it a condition of the 4th US stimulus.


Can't make it a requirement until everyone can be offered a vaccine. I don't know how they handle it in the US, but in my country such a rule would mean only pensioners and medical staff were eligible for a stimulus.
Anyone 16+ in the US can get the vaccine.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:34 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
Health insurers, whether private or public, should massively increase the copay for Covid treatment for those who have not been vaccinated because they refuse to.


How many would that affect? I personally know Zero people who sought medical help, other than a phone call...maybe, who had COVID. Three of us in this house had it, none saw a doctor to treat.

Some acquaintances have had family members who died of COVID, or where COVID was a co-morbidity, and presumably they sought medical help, but, anecdotally, that number isn’t that high, as a percentage of the whole population.


I know the probability of adverse effects from Covid is low. The societal threat from Covid is the sheer number of people it affects within a short period of time, overwhelming the healthcare system even with a low statistical health threat to the individual.

I don't care all that much if people get infected with Covid, as long as hospitals are not overrun and that a vaccine is available to anyone who wants to protect themselves. Covid will be circulating for a long time if not forever. Those who refuse a vaccine and end up in the hospital should have to pay for it themselves though. It's only fair and would give some incentive towards vaccination.

Ideally, of course, everyone would get vaccinated so that they don't pass it around and as few people as possible die and suffer from it.
Unfortunately, there are and will be too many selfish people for that.
Last edited by Francoflier on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:37 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Why? Do we reward people for getting the flu vaccine? Do we reward people for getting their kids vaccinated? Do we reward people for getting an annual physical?

I guess an insurance company may consider a reward, but probably not, since the vast majority of people with COVID are told to stay away from their doctor.

In the near future the only folks they’ll have the potential to hurt are themselves.


Why would compare COVID19 to the flu? The death rate and long terms affects are much worse with COVID19 and needs a different strategy than the flu.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8210
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:55 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Why would compare COVID19 to the flu? The death rate and long terms affects are much worse with COVID19 and needs a different strategy than the flu.


I’m making a point more along the lines of providing bonuses...or penalties, for not participating in a health related activity. The only reason I specified the flu vaccine is because it is an annual vaccine, much like I fear the COVID vaccine will be.

Francoflier wrote:
don't care all that much if people get infected with Covid, as long as hospitals are not overrun and that a vaccine is available to anyone who wants to protect themselves . Covid will be circulating for a long time if not forever. Those who refuse a vaccine and end up in the hospital should have to pay for it themselves though. It's only fair and would give some incentive towards vaccination.


What about those that smoke and get lung cancer? Those that drink and need a liver transplant? Those that participate in risky activities and suffer an injury? Would you say they need to pay for it themselves even though they carry health insurance?

Ideally, the insurance companies would have increased premiums for those that participate in risky behaviors. I wouldn’t be opposed to that, but I think insurers may be reluctant to dip their collective toes in that pool, concerning COVID vaccinations.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:12 pm

fr8mech wrote:
What about those that smoke and get lung cancer? Those that drink and need a liver transplant? Those that participate in risky activities and suffer an injury? Would you say they need to pay for it themselves even though they carry health insurance?

Ideally, the insurance companies would have increased premiums for those that participate in risky behaviors. I wouldn’t be opposed to that, but I think insurers may be reluctant to dip their collective toes in that pool, concerning COVID vaccinations.


I actually meant to write a remark in my previous post stating that I indeed would advocate for those who get sick from their own bad habits (smoking, alcohol/drug abuse) to pay for their own healthcare, or at least pay more out of their own pocket.
...so I agree.

Once vaccines get full approval from health authorities, I would absolutely welcome higher premiums for the non-vaccinated (without medical reason), or at least higher copays in case of treatment.
Higher premiums for smokers are actually a thing. It's harder to ask for higher premiums for alcohol consumption since most people drink, and the health risk from alcohol mostly comes from lack of moderation, not drinking itself. Ditto drugs. That said, there are medical conditions that can be directly attributed to a person's own self-destructive habits, and as I premium payer, I don't want my money to go towards curing someone's cirrosis just because he/she can't stay off the juice... I'd rather that money went towards counseling or psychiatric treatment so they can stop before it becomes a problem.

But I'm getting OT.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8210
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I actually meant to write a remark in my previous post stating that I indeed would advocate for those who get sick from their own bad habits (smoking, alcohol/drug abuse) to pay for their own healthcare, or at least pay more out of their own pocket.
...so I agree.

Once vaccines get full approval from health authorities, I would absolutely welcome higher premiums for the non-vaccinated (without medical reason), or at least higher copays in case of treatment.
Higher premiums for smokers are actually a thing. It's harder to ask for higher premiums for alcohol consumption since most people drink, and the health risk from alcohol mostly comes from lack of moderation, not drinking itself. Ditto drugs. That said, there are medical conditions that can be directly attributed to a person's own self-destructive habits, and as I premium payer, I don't want my money to go towards curing someone's cirrosis just because he/she can't stay off the juice... I'd rather that money went towards counseling or psychiatric treatment so they can stop before it becomes a problem.

But I'm getting OT.


Generally, I agree with you. I don’t have a problem with insurance companies charging a premium for risky behaviors. Too me, it’s all about taking personal responsibility for your actions...or inactions. I enjoy a lower premium because I don’t smoke. I do get a small cash rebate...from the insurer...for participating in healthy behaviors, one of which happens to be getting an annual flu shot.

My points are a) we should not provide a monetary reward from public funds, and b) I don’t think the insurance companies are going to take the step to raise premiums on folks that won’t get the vaccination.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2795
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:35 pm

At some point vaccines should be required for boarding aircraft or any other commercial mode of transportation that crosses state or international borders.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:29 am

fr8mech wrote:

My points are a) we should not provide a monetary reward from public funds, and b) I don’t think the insurance companies are going to take the step to raise premiums on folks that won’t get the vaccination.


Insurance companies operate on numbers. If they see that unvaccinated people cost them marginally more than vaccinated ones, they'll do something about it, through premiums or copayments.
As for public money to encourage vaccination, it's also a numbers game.
The pandemic is costing society and governments money (lots of it). Vaccines are the way out of it, but only if enough people get it. If it costs the government less to pay people to vaccinate than it would if they remained unvaccinated, then it's a win-win.
One would hope that people wouldn't need incentives to get vaccinated in the first place if they can, but I guess we can't expect everyone to act responsibly to those around them.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19925
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:22 am

Rather than reward people for being sensible, why not fine the stupid ones?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Airstud
Posts: 4912
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am

caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


It's being done:

https://www.wate.com/news/west-virginia ... accinated/
Pancakes are delicious.
 
Wacker1000
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 am

Once we're confident that the vaccines sufficiently protect from current and new mutations (and effective boosters are available if needed), I say masks off everywhere. Let nature take us to herd immunity. You had the better part of a year to figure it out and the rest of us shouldn't have to be inconvenienced to accommodate you.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7764
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:47 pm

scbriml wrote:
Rather than reward people for being sensible, why not fine the stupid ones?


Because positive incentives work better than punishments. We pay employees rather than make them slaves because it is more productive than bearing people.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:49 pm

People that get vaccinated should get lower health insurance premiums, or a tax break.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19925
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Rather than reward people for being sensible, why not fine the stupid ones?


Because positive incentives work better than punishments. We pay employees rather than make them slaves because it is more productive than bearing people.


You may have missed the sarcasm, but all those minimum wage staff might like to have a word with you. Especially the ones that many Americans feel the need to tip extravagantly.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:55 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Free laminated vaccine card at Staples and free Krispy Kreme Donut

I was gonna laminate mine, but given that they're saying that booster shots may be necessary, I'll keep it locked up with other documents. Instead, I took a picture of it next to my passport card, which I carry with me at all times. If I present the ID and the photo, by extension, the person should accept that I've been vaccinated.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Do we reward people for getting an annual physical?

My insurance company does (through work). They ask for an annual screening and if you meet the targets you get $500 deposited into an HSA; even if you don't meet the targets, you still get something for having completed the screening.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8210
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:50 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
My insurance company does (through work). They ask for an annual screening and if you meet the targets you get $500 deposited into an HSA; even if you don't meet the targets, you still get something for having completed the screening.


So does my INSURANCE company. Not the collective we, as in public funds.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 am

Once again, the Op does a "drive by" provocative thread and then disappears into the wild blue yonder...
Just like his ones about being in love with a married woman, marrying himself, etc, etc.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 am

johns624 wrote:
Once again, the Op does a "drive by" provocative thread and then disappears into the wild blue yonder...
Just like his ones about being in love with a married woman, marrying himself, etc, etc.


Maybe he saw the recent Tucker Carlson rant where he said that you should call the police if a child is instructed to wear a mask outside (child abuse). He compared it to a child being punched.

There is no hope.
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:54 am

[*]
Pellegrine wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:
How about we pay people to get vaccinated? Is that a good strategy?


Frankly, make it a condition of the 4th US stimulus.



Please please please no more ‘stimulus’ checks and definitely cut down on the unemployment benefits. Here, restaurants, healthcare facilities, retail stores cannot find enough workers because they are continuously being rewarded for NOT returning to work.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1699
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Businesses that aren't able to attract workers should rethink their base rates. The free market works with labor too...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8210
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Businesses that aren't able to attract workers should rethink their base rates. The free market works with labor too...


Or, we should rethink what the government tit hands out.
The market [should] set wages. When the government, or any other entity, enters the market and skews wages, e.g. higher, longer unemployment benefits, then the labor market and those willing to enter the labor market are affected. Both the labor and wage market are affected.

But, that’s way off topic.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:45 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Businesses that aren't able to attract workers should rethink their base rates. The free market works with labor too...


That is fine but when you pay people to not work that is where the trouble is. Eventually the money tree is going to stop dropping dollar bills and when these people go back out to try and find work there won't be any because the workplace has put in automation or closed all together. Every business in my town has a help wanted sign EVERY ONE. The family that owns 2 Mexican restaurants near me just opened a liquor store they have to keep the beer and cigarettes separate from the liquor the owner hired a girl to work the beer side she never even showed up to work. The guy has to keep running from the beer side to liquor side he told me he may have to close the beer side because he can't find anyone to work. FedEx has bumped their starting rate to 20 bucks an hr and rumored to go to 25 and still cannot get any takers. It is like this across the country. So in theory raising the minimum wage won't matter most businesses are paying well past 15 now just due to shortages. But in the end it will be less jobs overall because most wont be able to support it.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22381
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Please fo not cuss, see the forum rules.
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:03 pm

stratosphere wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
Businesses that aren't able to attract workers should rethink their base rates. The free market works with labor too...


That is fine but when you pay people to not work that is where the trouble is. Eventually the money tree is going to stop dropping dollar bills and when these people go back out to try and find work there won't be any because the workplace has put in automation or closed all together.


What industry throughout history has ever rejected automation in the interest of keeping people employed? It’s going to happen one way or another, people rushing back into low paying jobs isn’t going to stop that robot from coming in. They’re businesses, not make-work programs. As soon as the price of automation becomes lower than the price of employees, they’re out.

Stop making businesses out to be these charitable organizations, to whom we owe our labor in exchange for a livelihood, lest they replace us. They don’t care, Human Resource expenses are just a line on a graph that they can’t wait to eliminate.

What those business owners need to do is pick themselves up by the bootstraps! Stop eating all that avocado toast and make their coffee at home to save money.
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 pm

FGITD wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
Businesses that aren't able to attract workers should rethink their base rates. The free market works with labor too...


That is fine but when you pay people to not work that is where the trouble is. Eventually the money tree is going to stop dropping dollar bills and when these people go back out to try and find work there won't be any because the workplace has put in automation or closed all together.


What industry throughout history has ever rejected automation in the interest of keeping people employed? It’s going to happen one way or another, people rushing back into low paying jobs isn’t going to stop that robot from coming in. They’re businesses, not make-work programs. As soon as the price of automation becomes lower than the price of employees, they’re out.

Stop making businesses out to be these charitable organizations, to whom we owe our labor in exchange for a livelihood, lest they replace us. They don’t care, Human Resource expenses are just a line on a graph that they can’t wait to eliminate.

What those business owners need to do is pick themselves up by the bootstraps! Stop eating all that avocado toast and make their coffee at home to save money.


I didn't say businesses didn't need to pay more that will be obvious and automation was happening anyway but this will be even more incentive for ones who hadn't planned on spending the money on automation was my point. Either way the market will adjust to the winds that are blowing. Covid has already drove a lot of businesses out of business. The ones that remain will have to do what they have to do. But my previously deleted post to bring things back to topic is they are already changing mask rules because the powers that be have figured out that by requiring fully vaccinated people to keep having to comply with the same rules as non vaccinated people was going to give no incentive to getting vaccinated. Hence one of the reasons we have more vaccines than people that want it. Is W Virginia the only one offering to pay people does anyone know?
 
FGITD
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm

stratosphere wrote:

I didn't say businesses didn't need to pay more that will be obvious and automation was happening anyway but this will be even more incentive for ones who hadn't planned on spending the money on automation was my point. Either way the market will adjust to the winds that are blowing. Covid has already drove a lot of businesses out of business. The ones that remain will have to do what they have to do. But my previously deleted post to bring things back to topic is they are already changing mask rules because the powers that be have figured out that by requiring fully vaccinated people to keep having to comply with the same rules as non vaccinated people was going to give no incentive to getting vaccinated. Hence one of the reasons we have more vaccines than people that want it. Is W Virginia the only one offering to pay people does anyone know?


The masks needed to stay until we reached something of a tipping point, which we’re apparently now at or least close to. There was never go to be a mandate that vaccinated people had to wear masks at all times for years, but there was plenty of inaccurate reporting and fear mongering claiming that.

As far as I know, you’re right, West Virginia is the only one, and I believe they’re offering government bonds. Interesting that it was WV, given that they’ve had a pretty good vaccination plan in motion almost right from the start
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2651
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:50 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Businesses that aren't able to attract workers should rethink their base rates. The free market works with labor too...


Exactly. These businesses already offer sub-par wages, requiring federal intervention with SNAP, SSI, etc. They need to get with it and pay their workers better, treat them better, maybe they will come back. Nobody wants to come back to an abusive job.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23714
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:55 pm

We just got our first shot today. I went to the hospital and the brosband went to Safeway. They gave him a 20% off coupon for getting the shot. I had to sit in the lobby of the hospital and doom scroll on my phone. But, TBH, what kind of coupons could the hospital hand out? The cafeteria is closed, the gift shop is closed, and the coffee shops are closed...
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1699
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Rewarding people for wearing masks and getting vaccines

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:24 pm

I got to watch a dude shadowbox while riding out my :15 minutes.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, Google Adsense [Bot], NIKV69 and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos