Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest
Topic Author

The Shooting of Andrew Brown Jr.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:53 pm

Another case of a police shooting with a lot of protests occurring in North Carolina.

https://www.wral.com/decision-surroundi ... /19648383/

In contradiction to other cases where the police have released videos within hours of a shooting, the office is so far holding back.
7 days of protests .

Video of the Deputies riding in a truck on the way to deliver a warrant of arrest or sales of crack and methamphetamines in March.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=313890520094332

8 officers with body cams, and only one 20 second clip was released to the attorneys. The family's attorney released the following,

Cherry-Lassiter said she watched the 20-second clip repeatedly to take notes about what it showed:

A deputy drove up and blocked Brown, who was in his car, in the driveway.
Brown had his hands on the steering wheel as several deputies ran up, guns drawn, demanding that he show his hands.
Several shots were fired at Brown, who kept his hands on the steering wheel.
Brown then tried to get away from the gunfire and backed out around the sheriff's office vehicle.
Deputies yelled at him to stop and continued firing.
Brown's car ran into a tree down the street from his home, and deputies ran up on the car, continuing to fire shots.
Cherry-Lassiter said she lost count of how many shots were fired, adding that she doesn't know whether any were fired before the 20 seconds of video started.

So far 3 officers have resigned and 7 have been put on administrative leave.

https://www.wral.com/radio-traffic-indi ... /19642106/

Investigations have been launched, but as of now there is no police cam footage for the public.

In this case with 3 officers resigning, I have to suspect something went terribly wrong, or their was miscommunications.

Should the police be as accountable for their mistakes as they are for their successes when it comes to video? The police were quick in Ohio to release bodycam video when it vindicated the officer.
Shouldn't the same be held true when the officers make a mistake, or their are issues with the shooting. or do we need to rely on third party cameras such as in the case of Derick Chauvin.

For the Record, the police never served the warrent or found weapons or drugs with Andrew Brown Jr.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/27/andrew- ... oting.html

The FBI, and State of NC are investigating.

ltbewr

Re: The Shooting of Andrew Brown Jr.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 pm

That the 'independent' autopsy says Mr. Brown was in the back of the head and due to NC state law limiting production to the public of the numerous police videos of this event it is making for a lot of understandable anger by Black persons across the country. Many see a cover up by the police to protect themselves from criminal and civil liability, that they will be 'railroaded' into convictions with jail time due to public pressure. Of course pro-police and conservatives always bring out the criminal record of the victim to justify the LEO's actions. Mr. Brown, despite his attempts to evade arrest, shouldn't have been killed by the police officers. This is going to be another ugly, race dominated, case that no one will win.

casinterest
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 pm

ltbewr wrote:
That the 'independent' autopsy says Mr. Brown was in the back of the head and due to NC state law limiting production to the public of the numerous police videos of this event it is making for a lot of understandable anger by Black persons across the country. Many see a cover up by the police to protect themselves from criminal and civil liability, that they will be 'railroaded' into convictions with jail time due to public pressure. Of course pro-police and conservatives always bring out the criminal record of the victim to justify the LEO's actions. Mr. Brown, despite his attempts to evade arrest, shouldn't have been killed by the police officers. This is going to be another ugly, race dominated, case that no one will win.

I don't think this is an issue of "no one will win" This is a case of transparency. Evern with the 20 second video the attorney's all saw, the police have still not released a statement on what they believe it contains.
Why did the officers resign? What issues are being looked at during the administrative leave of the other officers. Why was the warrant not executed in a search of he car and home?

Aesma

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm

8 cops emptying their magazines in a residential street.

Did they ever think about the potential collateral damage ?

What's the point of showing up in numbers if you're going to act like you're alone and afraid ?

If I was a good cop there I would probably resign too, because things are not going to improve in that city anytime soon !

NIKV69

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Doesn't look good if they won't release the video. I pray for the business owners in that town.

wingman

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:22 pm

This doesn't look good. I watched the video of them rolling up and my first reaction was "wrong video, that looks like El Salvador". Nope, it's 'Murica. Guns and more guns and let's just shoot 'em off every chance we get. Three guys already resigned so you just know this shit show is just getting started.

NIK, save your prayers man. We have overwhelming proof they don't work. Blacks get shot, businesses burn, you pray...blacks get shot, businesses burn, you pray..can you see the pattern?

NIKV69

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 pm

wingman wrote:
This doesn't look good. I watched the video of them rolling up and my first reaction was "wrong video, that looks like El Salvador". Nope, it's 'Murica. Guns and more guns and let's just shoot 'em off every chance we get. Three guys already resigned so you just know this shit show is just getting started.

NIK, save your prayers man. We have overwhelming proof they don't work. Blacks get shot, businesses burn, you pray...blacks get shot, businesses burn, you pray..can you see the pattern?

Depends on which one, the most businesses burned on a justified shooting.

I think I just read they will let the family view the whole video now. I am at work so can't link. Doesn't make sense they need to release it to the public. In fact I think that should be state law. In the end it would actually cut down on the riots.

casinterest
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Not Releasing video will not cut down on distrust when there are doubts about what happened. the Family and the Sherriff want the videos released, but under state law they currently cannot be released.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/28/us/andre ... index.html

A North Carolina judge ruled Wednesday that video from four body cameras associated with the shooting of Andrew Brown Jr. will not be released publicly at this time.
The judge went on the grant, in part, a petition from the Pasquotank County Sheriff's office allowing the disclosure of the body cameras to Brown's family and one of their legal representatives. The disclosure means the family and an attorney can view the videos but will not be given their own copies or allowed to make recordings.

The DA's story is as follows.
Womble said multiple cameras captured footage. In video, Brown is in a stationary car when officers approach, shouting commands, Womble said.
As officers attempt to open one of the car's doors, the car backs up, making contact with an officer, Womble said. The car then stops, before moving forward and again makes contact with law enforcement, Womble said.
After the car moves forward, shots are heard, Womble said.

The family attorney's story is
On Monday, Chantal Cherry-Lassiter, a family attorney who viewed 20 seconds of the shooting from one deputy's body camera, said it showed an "execution."

Deputies ran up to his car, shooting as Brown put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway, Cherry-Lassiter said. Deputies continued to shoot at him as he drove off, she said.
"What the 20 seconds shows is that Andrew Brown is not a threat to officers," she told CNN on Tuesday. "As he was being shot at, Andrew was trying to back away from the officers and save his life, save his own life."

Somewhere in between is the truth, and it will probably not be good if the family lawyer and DA are this opposed going through the time of a trial.

There is a lot of information that remains to be worked out, but the public is going to feed on one side of this without the video evidence.

casinterest
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:09 pm

More info from the local news about why the Judge is holding back.

https://www.wral.com/judge-family-can-s ... /19650308/

Judge Jeffrey Foster said he would give the State Bureau of Investigation and the Pasquotank County Sheriff's Office 30 to 45 days to finish the investigation before allowing the video to be released.

Foster gave authorities 10 days to blur the faces and redact the names of the deputies involved from the video and audio before it will be turned over to Brown's immediate family and one of the family's attorneys.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Awaiting other body cam videos to be released. Until then... rage on.

stratosphere

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:40 pm

I wish they would take each of these and address them independently. Not all of these are police brutality. This one with Andrew Brown will need to be scrutinized for sure. But the 16 yo in Ohio Ma'Khia Bryant I would say does not fall into that catagory. That one appears justified as tragic as it is. Looks like Al Sharpton and Benjamin Crump are gonna need supersonic jets to get around the country at the rate these seem to be happening.

casinterest
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:48 pm

stratosphere wrote:
I wish they would take each of these and address them independently. Not all of these are police brutality. This one with Andrew Brown will need to be scrutinized for sure. But the 16 yo in Ohio Ma'Khia Bryant I would say does not fall into that catagory. That one appears justified as tragic as it is. Looks like Al Sharpton and Benjamin Crump are gonna need supersonic jets to get around the country at the rate these seem to be happening.

Justified? Armed SWAT team for meth and crack sales?

Yet Rioters at the Capital get delayed sentences for mace and phone call?

There is a big problem in policing and enforcement. This case highlights that above all.

stratosphere

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 am

casinterest wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

There is a big problem in policing and enforcement. This case highlights that above all.

Go back and read my post again the one I said was justified was the 16 year old knife weilding female about to gut another black teen. I never said the other ones were justified oh and the rioters at the capitol are being treated far worse than any of the BLM rioters who all were either immediately released or bailed out by rich supporters even Kamala Harris The FBI went after the capitol people with a vengeance
Last edited by stratosphere on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:15 am

casinterest wrote:

Don't forget that drug houses are usually heavily armed and for the most part will never comply with a warrant. I think use of SWAT is justified.

Aaron747

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Don't forget that drug houses are usually heavily armed and for the most part will never comply with a warrant. I think use of SWAT is justified.

Legalize illicit drugs and the war footing of the gangs running them will be significantly reduced. We are long overdue for a major disruption of the black market.

Elkadad313

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:42 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Legalize illicit drugs and the war footing of the gangs running them will be significantly reduced. We are long overdue for a major disruption of the black market.

Precisely what China wants to see -- the U.S. self-destruct with no need for intervention.

Aaron747

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:01 am

Elkadad313 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Precisely what China wants to see -- the U.S. self-destruct with no need for intervention.

No idea what you’re talking about...unless you’re suggesting Americans can’t handle having them legal and Dutch/Portuguese people can.

GDB

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:41 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't look good if they won't release the video. I pray for the business owners in that town.

Wow. Of course the victims of unjustified shootings, usually unarmed, their loved ones? No prayers? Or are they guilty by association/race/class?

So how about this one then. These stalwart officers of the law managed to subdue a 73 year old, 80 pounds woman with dementia, I say subdue, they dislocated her shoulder and broke her arm.
And they were caught on camera afterwards having a good laugh about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4WzihsrLCs

On 'administrative leave'. Of course.
Will likely be on patrol again? Very likely.
This is another endgame of the culture of near impunity around US law enforcement.
Apparently they need additional training in dealing with people with dementia and mental health issues, in other words what just about every other police force in the Western World manages to do at basic training.

Not saying that all of them do a good job in those situations, however if this is never done, or the culture is so toxic anyway, you can be sure this sort of thing will and does happen, not always caught on cameras either.
So it might be your Mum, or Granny next time.

Elkadad313

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:58 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

No idea what you’re talking about...unless you’re suggesting Americans can’t handle having them legal and Dutch/Portuguese people can.

That is exactly what I am predicting.

Moose135

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm

ltbewr wrote:
...making for a lot of understandable anger by Black persons across the country.

Not just Black persons - there are a lot of us White persons who are angry at how police often act.

casinterest
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:06 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

There are smarter uses of SWAT. They should have tailed him tthen pull him over, and then served the warrant. Then gone through the house. There is too much of this let's show an overwhelming overload of force, and it leads to bad issues. Too many guns. Too many deaths.

We also have this unfortunate issue from yesterday where Murder Suicide seems to be the case. 5 dead including two deputies. Using Swat on drug warrants, but not on serious domestic disturbances may need to be looked at.

https://www.wral.com/north-carolina-she ... /19650557/

wingman

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm

These stories are coming daily now. NC another example of everyone armed to the teeth and firing their weapons exactly as designed, large-scale death results. The police in this case perfectly justified but the only logical conclusion remains intact - too many damned guns in this country. The death toll so far this year is both staggering and morally repugnant. Let's see what the weekend brings. I'll wager at least one mass killing and at least another 250 gun deaths, we're achieving optimum cruise speed now folks.

Agamadi

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:46 pm

casinterest wrote:
Another case of a police shooting with a lot of protests occurring in North Carolina.

https://www.wral.com/decision-surroundi ... /19648383/

In contradiction to other cases where the police have released videos within hours of a shooting, the office is so far holding back.
7 days of protests .

Video of the Deputies riding in a truck on the way to deliver a warrant of arrest or sales of crack and methamphetamines in March.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=313890520094332

8 officers with body cams, and only one 20 second clip was released to the attorneys. The family's attorney released the following,

Cherry-Lassiter said she watched the 20-second clip repeatedly to take notes about what it showed:

A deputy drove up and blocked Brown, who was in his car, in the driveway.
Brown had his hands on the steering wheel as several deputies ran up, guns drawn, demanding that he show his hands.
Several shots were fired at Brown, who kept his hands on the steering wheel.
Brown then tried to get away from the gunfire and backed out around the sheriff's office vehicle.
Deputies yelled at him to stop and continued firing.
Brown's car ran into a tree down the street from his home, and deputies ran up on the car, continuing to fire shots.
Cherry-Lassiter said she lost count of how many shots were fired, adding that she doesn't know whether any were fired before the 20 seconds of video started.

So far 3 officers have resigned and 7 have been put on administrative leave.

https://www.wral.com/radio-traffic-indi ... /19642106/

Investigations have been launched, but as of now there is no police cam footage for the public.

In this case with 3 officers resigning, I have to suspect something went terribly wrong, or their was miscommunications.

Should the police be as accountable for their mistakes as they are for their successes when it comes to video? The police were quick in Ohio to release bodycam video when it vindicated the officer.
Shouldn't the same be held true when the officers make a mistake, or their are issues with the shooting. or do we need to rely on third party cameras such as in the case of Derick Chauvin.

For the Record, the police never served the warrent or found weapons or drugs with Andrew Brown Jr.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/27/andrew- ... oting.html

The FBI, and State of NC are investigating.

Police brutality is a very hot topic of discussion that is worth talking about. Police brutality is one of several forms of police misconduct that involves inappropriate police violence. You can read more about this issue at https://paperap.com/free-papers/police-brutality/. Police brutality is widespread in many parts of the country and across states, and even those who persecute it should keep in mind that most male and female police officers throughout the country operate under the direction of state and federal agencies.

Thanks for the information.

seb146

Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
wingman wrote:

Depends on which one, the most businesses burned on a justified shooting.

I think I just read they will let the family view the whole video now. I am at work so can't link. Doesn't make sense they need to release it to the public. In fact I think that should be state law. In the end it would actually cut down on the riots.

Training cops that shooting is the first option would cut down on riots even more...