Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

afcjets
Topic Author

Real ID in USA for domestic travel

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:09 pm

A Real ID (issued by state DMVs) was supposed to be required beginning in October of last year but it was extended for a year. Will that be extended again and if not, how will it impact air travel? Also, what is TSA policy for domestic travel regarding an expired drivers license? IIRC there is a grace period?

Okie

Re: Real ID in USA for domestic travel

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:30 pm

Oklahoma requirements were extended until May 2023 because of Covid for US travel. However there was no indication of extending the requirement to get on Military Bases or enter Federal Buildings.

Right now most of the real license appointments are backed up over 60 to 90 days and that is not a sure thing because the DMV has constant computer issues.

If the computers are down that day then you have to reschedule so an additional 60-90 days.

Okie

cjg225

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Glad I got my Real ID out of the way when I moved in October 2019.

TWA772LR

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:53 pm

I got mine when I finally got my Colorado ID in 2019. It was just like a normal DMV trip. When I asked the lady if it was Real ID compliant, she bragged that CO was the first state to do so.

Airontario

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:08 pm

Can someone explain what the issue with state-issued drivers licenses are? I'd assume in a country like the US, that while every state has little differences, their drivers licenses would all include all the necessary information to use for domestic travel. (Photo, name, DOB, etc.)

Were the differences between states so large that certain states didn't meet certain requirements?

Moose135

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:23 pm

Airontario wrote:
Can someone explain what the issue with state-issued drivers licenses are? I'd assume in a country like the US, that while every state has little differences, their drivers licenses would all include all the necessary information to use for domestic travel. (Photo, name, DOB, etc.)

Were the differences between states so large that certain states didn't meet certain requirements?

The Real ID act specifies certain minimum security standards for the documentation required to obtain a state-issued license that is valid to be used for entry into federal buildings, air travel, and other purposes. It is to make sure that the person presenting the license really is that person.

dtw2hyd

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Fortunately we got ours more than a year back.

In Michigan, Secretary of State(DMV) office situation at present is worse than last April, outbreaks among staff and temporary/permanent office closures.

Last year you could register online/walk-in and wait in your vehicle, they text when your number is up so inside is not crowded. This year they removed that system and have a crappy online appointment system.

These are outsourced services, and kiosk usage is encouraged.

I am thinking COVID-19 being used as an excuse to cut down service.

readytotaxi

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:45 pm

What percentage of US citizens now hold a passport, used to be awfully low?

Virtual737

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:10 pm

Imagine the increase in YouTube videos when some of the entitled are required both to show an ID and wear a facemask (if the 2 overlap).

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:16 pm

In my state, I decided the requirements were such that I build a presentation folder with copies of everything-birth certificate, passports, Mil ID, 3 or 4 DD 214s, other sundry papers to prove residency like tax records. Impressed the RMV, but just met the requirements and has been handy as a record file.

Virtual737

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:18 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
In my state, I decided the requirements were such that I build a presentation folder with copies of everything-birth certificate, passports, Mil ID, 3 or 4 DD 214s, other sundry papers to prove residency like tax records. Impressed the RMV, but just met the requirements and has been handy as a record file.

I'm a legal alien where I live and used to have to carry my passport on me all the time... which can lead to a tatty passport even if it doesn't get lost. They've finally allowed us (mostly) to keep a photo of it on a smart phone.

afcjets
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:08 pm

I am trying to figure out if I can fly right now. My California driver's license expired in late 2019 but I got a one year extension which is just a paper card you present with your id. Now it's expired but for a time I think CA licenses were automatically extended. Right now the system won't let me renew online despite having no restrictions and a perfect driving so I called and they finally answered after being on hold for two hours. She gave me the number to that same department that extended it before and they open at 8a but even as late as 915a the recording (which says they open at 8a) said they were closed. Everytime I tried yesterday and today it's saying they're too busy, try back later. So I can't even get on hold for two hours. I am in the eastern time zone presently and I can't even fly out there to renew it if TSA won't accept my id. Does anyone know if TSA still has a grace period? I don't want to buy a nonrefundable ticket to get my real CA id if I'm going to be turned away.

johns624

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:30 pm

afcjets wrote:
I am trying to figure out if I can fly right now. My California driver's license expired in late 2019 but I got a one year extension which is just a paper card you present with your id. Now it's expired but for a time I think CA licenses were automatically extended. Right now the system won't let me renew online despite having no restrictions and a perfect driving so I called and they finally answered after being on hold for two hours. She gave me the number to that same department that extended it before and they open at 8a but even as late as 915a the recording (which says they open at 8a) said they were closed. Everytime I tried yesterday and today it's saying they're too busy, try back later. So I can't even get on hold for two hours. I am in the eastern time zone presently and I can't even fly out there to renew it if TSA won't accept my id. Does anyone know if TSA still has a grace period? I don't want to buy a nonrefundable ticket to get my real CA id if I'm going to be turned away.
Do you have a passport?

invertalon

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:28 am

Just renewed my drivers license yesterday at the BMV here in Ohio, which includes the upgrade to the Real ID. Walked in with the appropriate documents, right up the counter and about 10 minutes later I was all set, out the door, with my new ID to be mailed to me within two weeks or so.

Easy as can be!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:45 am

I knew was a more responsive state than Cali, better people. And, they have sunshine, sometimes a few feet of it.

afcjets
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:21 am

johns624 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Do you have a passport?

My passport expired way before my license.

910A

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm

How many times now has the deadline for the REAL ID has been extended now? It seems like this has been discussion since what 2005? Some states like Arizona decided not to issue any until 2018, because the Fed's wasn't go to tell Arizona what to do.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm

It’s been a number of times, for sure. Utterly silly bureaucratic nonsense.

casinterest

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:20 pm

910A wrote:
How many times now has the deadline for the REAL ID has been extended now? It seems like this has been discussion since what 2005? Some states like Arizona decided not to issue any until 2018, because the Fed's wasn't go to tell Arizona what to do.

Well, States rights and all :)

Seriously though Real ID is an issue as it was a bit of Federal overreach, but it was needed to decide on legal forms of ID. With States issuing driver's license to people with questionable citizenship, there were many doors opened to game the system state to state.

It has been delayed many times. The paperwork required is enough to get you a passport. They should just issue both at the same time. But federal vs state again :)

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Well, yes, if it’s interstate commerce, you’re the Feds just issue a passport or similar instrument. Lots of rebellion over that idea, but true. The paperwork is similar, but then again, a friend has been waiting months for his wife’s passport renewal. His business has been waiting 13 months for a large tax refund. The government agencies have really been dysfunctional in COVID. My town offices are still closed while schools are on part time classes. The state websites are totally useless and that’s in Massachusetts. Mom’s in Florida and their websites are more useable.

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat May 01, 2021 12:23 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Mom’s in Florida and their websites are more useable.

Red vs blue

stl07

Sat May 01, 2021 2:16 am

afcjets wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Red vs blue

Seems you have neevr been to Missouri hhahahaha.

I'm actually living in LA right now and everything to do with the government is far more efficient than MO. I actually know what I need and when. Now cost of living on the other hand...

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat May 01, 2021 3:38 am

stl07 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Red vs blue

Seems you have neevr been to Missouri hhahahaha.

I'm actually living in LA right now and everything to do with the government is far more efficient than MO. I actually know what I need and when. Now cost of living on the other hand...

I got to fly TWA one time in 2001 and connected in STL and another time spent the night there when driving cross country and stayed at some riverfront downtown hotel and had a view of the arc so you can get anymore authentic than that lol

LA is very efficient at running their sky high parking ticket, towing and impound racket business with their often confusing and conflicting signs I'll give you that.

Concierge

Mon May 03, 2021 7:41 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
afcjets wrote:
johns624 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Do you have a passport?

My passport expired way before my license.

TSA took my expired license, but said they only do that when the license expired in the last six months. I'm not an authority, just my experience.

bhill

Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 pm

Moose135 wrote:
Airontario wrote:

The Real ID act specifies certain minimum security standards for the documentation required to obtain a state-issued license that is valid to be used for entry into federal buildings, air travel, and other purposes. It is to make sure that the person presenting the license really is that person.

...not really, it only provides proof of citizenship, as a birth certificate is required. Just get a passport, it trumps all ID for flying on commercial flights. The only reason I got my passport was to visit my daughter who lives in military housing, as Washington State did not require all the citizenship documents just to drive a car.

Moose135

Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 pm

bhill wrote:
Just get a passport, it trumps all ID for flying on commercial flights. The only reason I got my passport was to visit my daughter who lives in military housing, as Washington State did not require all the citizenship documents just to drive a car.

A lot of US citizens don't have passports, and if they don't plan on traveling internationally, may not want to spend the money on one, when a Real ID driver's license serves the same purpose for a lower cost. I didn't have a passport since I was in the Air Force, but a year and a half ago decided to apply for one since GF and I were talking about some travel plans down the road. Since I had all the documents together, I got the Real ID at DMV then the passport at the Post Office a few days apart. Thing is though, the passport stays in the fire safe in my house, the driver's license stays in my wallet in my pocket. If you had a Real ID, you could have visited your daughter without having to drag around your passport.

johns624

Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 am

Get a Passport Card when you get your passport. It works for land crossings into Canada, etc, and is the same size as a DL or other standard ID card.

DocLightning

Thu May 06, 2021 2:05 am

Apparently, my Global Entry ID card is adequate, which is funny because it's not even a color photo.

fr8mech

Thu May 06, 2021 6:20 am

One of the problems we have here in KY concerning Real ID is that driver's licenses are currently issued by the Circuit Clerk of whatever county you live in. My understanding is that one of the requirements for Real ID is that a single entity issue the driver's license in a given state. KY is transitioning to some kind of regional office system, which I assume will be overseen by a single state entity. Our licenses (the wife and I) don't expire until 2022, and we have passports, so I haven't really been paying attention.

As for passports, I've had a passport since I was an infant. My wife got one soon after we were married, and my children have had them since they were infants.

My opinion: passports are perfect as a national ID and everyone should be encouraged to get one, but the cost is ridiculous; $110 for the passport, plus $35 to the USPS, if you need to apply at the post office, plus whatever it costs to get a picture.

Recently renewed the kids' passports...both at the post office, $320.00. Funny thing, my daughter's came 3 weeks later, my son's took 7 weeks. The checks were also cashed 4 weeks apart, even though they all went in at the same time.

bpatus297

Thu May 06, 2021 12:11 pm

fr8mech wrote:
One of the problems we have here in KY concerning Real ID is that driver's licenses are currently issued by the Circuit Clerk of whatever county you live in. My understanding is that one of the requirements for Real ID is that a single entity issue the driver's license in a given state. KY is transitioning to some kind of regional office system, which I assume will be overseen by a single state entity. Our licenses (the wife and I) don't expire until 2022, and we have passports, so I haven't really been paying attention.

As for passports, I've had a passport since I was an infant. My wife got one soon after we were married, and my children have had them since they were infants.

My opinion: passports are perfect as a national ID and everyone should be encouraged to get one, but the cost is ridiculous; $110 for the passport, plus $35 to the USPS, if you need to apply at the post office, plus whatever it costs to get a picture.

Recently renewed the kids' passports...both at the post office, $320.00. Funny thing, my daughter's came 3 weeks later, my son's took 7 weeks. The checks were also cashed 4 weeks apart, even though they all went in at the same time.

$15 dollars a year for your passport is ridiculous? Its right on par with your drivers license cost in most states. I understand that kids passports are only good for five years, but its still not ridiculous compared to all of the other crazy fees and taxes. I think renewals should be cheaper since the Gov shouldn't have to vet you as much.

seb146

Thu May 06, 2021 5:40 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

$15 dollars a year for your passport is ridiculous? Its right on par with your drivers license cost in most states. I understand that kids passports are only good for five years, but its still not ridiculous compared to all of the other crazy fees and taxes. I think renewals should be cheaper since the Gov shouldn't have to vet you as much.

But it is not a yearly fee. It is all paid at once. Plus there is time spent trying to find a place that does passport photos, paying them, scheduling a time for the passport application and wherever that is done. We have one post office that accepts passport applications and only at specific times. I still need to renew mine but just thinking about all that planning is exhausting.

Oregon has pushed back their Real ID requirement again. They are just starting to do license renewal online but I don't know about Real ID. I should look into that because I think my license is set to expire.

bpatus297

Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

But it is not a yearly fee. It is all paid at once. Plus there is time spent trying to find a place that does passport photos, paying them, scheduling a time for the passport application and wherever that is done. We have one post office that accepts passport applications and only at specific times. I still need to renew mine but just thinking about all that planning is exhausting.

Oregon has pushed back their Real ID requirement again. They are just starting to do license renewal online but I don't know about Real ID. I should look into that because I think my license is set to expire.

I know its a once every 10 year fee (kids every 5), but drivers licenses are about $50 every four years. Not a huge difference, and I would bet the passport costs a tad more to produce than a drivers license. I do agree the process for passports can be a pain, but so are many other things in life. In my opinion the DMV or whatever its called in your state can be as much, if not more, a pain in the butt. Its not real difficult to find someone to do a photo, there is almost a Walgreens or CVS on every street corner that does passport photos. If I remember right (been a few years), you fill the application out online and print it at home and bring it with you. Yes its still is pain, but not earth shattering.

fr8mech

Thu May 06, 2021 6:59 pm

bpatus297 wrote:

Yes, I feel it is. As stated, it’s not an annual fee, it’s a “pay us right now or we’re not doing anything fee”. And, yes, renewals should be cheaper. But, the bureaucracy must be fed.

As for my driver’s license, I use it every day. Most people use it everyday, if not for driving, then for ID. Further, you can, largely get around without a driver’s license. It’s a pain, but you can do it. Try to leave/enter the country without a passport...or soon, enter a federal facility without one, if you choose not to have a driver’s license/RealID.

I’m not a fan of the niggling fees I’m charged by my government just so I can conduct business or take pleasure. Sue me.

I’d like to make a correction; $320 didn’t sound right. Maybe it’s because I had to write 2 checks and make 2 credit card transactions that got me screwed up. My son’s was only $80 (passport fee) + $35 (accepatance fee) + $15 (photo). My daughter, being 18, got the full charge.

We should have a national ID, if you choose to carry one. It could be a passport. It should be more inexpensive, and frankly, quicker to get.

johns624

Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm

My post office does the passport photo right there.

fr8mech

Thu May 06, 2021 8:22 pm

johns624 wrote:
My post office does the passport photo right there.

So does mine...$15

Eiszeit

Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 pm

Over here in "good old" germany GmbH we pay 60€ for a 10 year passport, below 24 you only get 6 years for 37,50€ so it's a total ripoff for nothing in return (and they ask why people in their 20s can't buy homes)

usair1489

Sun May 09, 2021 12:29 am

I was planning to get my Real ID when my license expires this summer. Right now, that is one of the things that can only be done in person at a NJ DMV licensing center and by appointment only. There are so few appointments available and a lot of that has to do with covid outbreaks (or even just one employee testing positive) closing a license center for two weeks for deep cleaning. I've since renewed my regular non-Real ID license online, and at some point it'll be upgraded to Real ID.

I still need to get my passport...

Aesma

Sun May 09, 2021 2:09 am

Here in France the equivalent of the DMVs have been closed, I just learned. Well the buildings and staff still exist because they do plenty other things, being basically the "federal building" closest to your home, but nothing to do with cars anymore. We never needed to renew driver's licenses, so we all carry the one we got in our teens/20s, personally I started driving lessons at 16 so I have a lot of hair on that picture compared to now. But we got there when buying a car to get it registered to our name. There is no renewal of that either, unless your address changes, but the experience was similar to what I've heard about DMVs, lots of waiting, and you better have all the right documents.

Now it's all done online.

As for getting an ID, national ID or passport, it's done at the town hall. National ID is free and lasts 15 years, passport is 86€. For children, 17€. The driver's license is actually an accepted ID for plenty of things, like voting, but not to travel out of the country (or board a flight).

einsteinboricua

Sun May 09, 2021 2:38 am

I'm actually curious how many of the people complaining about having to get a Real ID compliant ID (and have to go through the joys of going to the DMV to get it or else you can't use it to fly) are also those who insist that getting an ID to vote is easy. At the top, Okie mentioned the issue that with DMV appointments backed up for days, having computer issues can mean needing to reschedule for later dates yet again.

The main difference is that while Real ID has been mentioned since 2005 (and you can use other alternatives like a CAC or a passport (card or booklet)), voter ID laws are usually tightened with only months to spare.

Not to go off subject here, but if it's a hassle merely to replace a driver's license (expired or not) with one that meets Real ID requirements, it's likely no better for the person going for the first time either.

Okie

Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I'm actually curious how many of the people complaining about having to get a Real ID compliant ID (and have to go through the joys of going to the DMV to get it or else you can't use it to fly) are also those who insist that getting an ID to vote is easy. At the top, Okie mentioned the issue that with DMV appointments backed up for days, having computer issues can mean needing to reschedule for later dates yet again.

An ID requires only a name and ITIN or SS number. Get it at any Tag Agency for FREE along with License Renews, Tags. Title transfers or about anything else related to vehicles not so free.

Driver License Exams and CDL exams first time are at separate locations.

The Real ID system is separate from a Drivers License about the only thing that might be directly connected would be the photo equipment.
Otherwise you get a card and then the Real ID is mailed at a later date. I suppose they do not allow underlings to have access to the secure equipment.

So getting an ID is incredibly easy 10 minutes would be max, probably the longest part of the process is waiting while the machine laminates the ID.

Our election board is pretty much on the ball here. When Ms Okie moved on to her great rewards, the day I came home from her funeral there was a card in the mail from the election board suspending her voter registration.
I am assuming they monitor death certificates.

Okie

CaptHadley

Sun May 09, 2021 10:18 pm

afcjets wrote:
A Real ID (issued by state DMVs) was supposed to be required beginning in October of last year but it was extended for a year. Will that be extended again and if not, how will it impact air travel? Also, what is TSA policy for domestic travel regarding an expired drivers license? IIRC there is a grace period?

So, you had a drivers license, and let it expire. You received an extension, and let it expire. You’ve got a passport, and let it expire. Does the word responsibility mean anything? You appear to be upset because you cannot reach anyone at the DMV due to YOU letting your drivers license and it’s subsequent extension expire. Not to mention again, the passport.. As my late grandfather said to me “suck it up buttercup” Your lack of preparedness is not the DMV’s emergency.

afcjets
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2021 12:03 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
afcjets wrote:

So, you had a drivers license, and let it expire. You received an extension, and let it expire. You’ve got a passport, and let it expire. Does the word responsibility mean anything? You appear to be upset because you cannot reach anyone at the DMV due to YOU letting your drivers license and it’s subsequent extension expire. Not to mention again, the passport.. As my late grandfather said to me “suck it up buttercup” Your lack of preparedness is not the DMV’s emergency.

I received the extension before my license expired so it didn't expire then. When I called before the extension expired, DMV told me all CA licenses are automatically extended during covid. When I called the DMV again right before I created this post, she didn't know for how long licenses are/were extended lol. I don't plan on getting a passport anytime soon if ever again as I travelled the world in my 20s and early 30s when it was most exciting and I've pretty much been everywhere I've wanted to go. I don't like being on hold for two hours as I'm guessing most people don't but I understand. I'm not really upset I am seeking information and I value the experience and opinion of most a.net users, including the ones I often disagree with.

Concierge wrote:

TSA took my expired license, but said they only do that when the license expired in the last six months. I'm not an authority, just my experience.

Thanks, I thought they told me this before but couldn't remember for how long. If this is true I have a few more days to fly to CA lol. I am too beat to travel this week though and will try the phones again. I have other options too that go beyond the actual topic and I'm not that worried about it.

flyingclrs727

Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

Okie wrote:
Oklahoma requirements were extended until May 2023 because of Covid for US travel. However there was no indication of extending the requirement to get on Military Bases or enter Federal Buildings.

Right now most of the real license appointments are backed up over 60 to 90 days and that is not a sure thing because the DMV has constant computer issues.

If the computers are down that day then you have to reschedule so an additional 60-90 days.

Okie

It's much easier, quicker, and reliable to get a passport card than go through some state's DMV's. If I lived in a state with that large a backlog, I would get the passport card that lasts 10 years, then get a REAL ID driver's license later when the lines aren't so bad. For that matter getting both a book passport and passport card in one application saves the cost of a separate application. That way you actually have a passport that can can be used for flying into a foreign country.

Here in Texas, the DPS only issues REAL ID compliant driver's licenses and ID's and has been doing so since October 2016. Theoretically a large proportion of people in the database had data in compliance with the REAL ID Act before that date. I already checked online and discovered that the data for my driver's license, which I last renewed in 2015 and expires this year, is in full compliance. I am eligible to renew my existing driver's license online and receive a REAL ID compliant one that will be good til 2027. It's even better than that. I could have gone online up to 2 years ahead of the license expiration date and gotten a license renewal good for almost 8 years. Texas extended the regular one year early renewal period to 2 years to to make getting a REAL ID compliant license easier. Even people who don't qualify for renewal online can go in person to the DPS with the proper documentation up to 2 years before license expiration and get a renewed REAL ID compliant license good for up to 8 years. As Texas drivers licenses are issued for 6 years, few driver's licenses and ID cards very few non-REAL ID compliant cards will still be valid after October 2022. Now that REAL ID implementation won't go into effect til May 2023, only a small fraction of Texas DPS issued ID's won't be compliant by that date. Those will be for people whose ID's expired between May and early October of 2017 but opted to renew before October 2016.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue May 11, 2021 4:35 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Okie wrote:

Okie

It's much easier, quicker, and reliable to get a passport card than go through some state's DMV's. If I lived in a state with that large a backlog, I would get the passport card that lasts 10 years, then get a REAL ID driver's license later when the lines aren't so bad. For that matter getting both a book passport and passport card in one application saves the cost of a separate application. That way you actually have a passport that can can be used for flying into a foreign country.

Here in Texas, the DPS only issues REAL ID compliant driver's licenses and ID's and has been doing so since October 2016. Theoretically a large proportion of people in the database had data in compliance with the REAL ID Act before that date. I already checked online and discovered that the data for my driver's license, which I last renewed in 2015 and expires this year, is in full compliance. I am eligible to renew my existing driver's license online and receive a REAL ID compliant one that will be good til 2027. It's even better than that. I could have gone online up to 2 years ahead of the license expiration date and gotten a license renewal good for almost 8 years. Texas extended the regular one year early renewal period to 2 years to to make getting a REAL ID compliant license easier. Even people who don't qualify for renewal online can go in person to the DPS with the proper documentation up to 2 years before license expiration and get a renewed REAL ID compliant license good for up to 8 years. As Texas drivers licenses are issued for 6 years, few driver's licenses and ID cards very few non-REAL ID compliant cards will still be valid after October 2022. Now that REAL ID implementation won't go into effect til May 2023, only a small fraction of Texas DPS issued ID's won't be compliant by that date. Those will be for people whose ID's expired between May and early October of 2017 but opted to renew before October 2016.

As is so often the case, states like Texas and Florida for all the hate, are way ahead of the blue states.

AirframeAS

Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 pm

910A wrote:
How many times now has the deadline for the REAL ID has been extended now? It seems like this has been discussion since what 2005?

The hilarious part of it is that the Real ID Act was passed in 2005, which is correct. And we are now at year 16, and the Act has not been enforced yet?? It keeps getting delayed and delayed and delayed time and time and time again.

Never fear, if you do not have the gold star on the upper right hand corner of your ID/Driver License, and have an unexpired passport.... you are good to go. But please remember that your U.S. passport card is NOT valid for International travel. (Yes, I have seen people try to use that for flying international.)

GalaxyFlyer

Thu May 13, 2021 2:21 am

Two passports, REAL ID drivers license, military ID, state-issued firearms permit, SIDA badge, crew badge; I’m good to go.