Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stratosphere
Topic Author

Florida school principal paddles 6 year old

Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 pm

Ok so corporal punishment is allowed in Florida but not in this county. A 6 year old child was paddled by a principal for breaking a computer monitor. The mother was told to come down and pay 50 dollars and the mother does not speak English apparently but somehow knew enough to video the incident. Don't really know how I feel about this. I grew up in northern NJ we did not have corporal punishment but it did not stop teachers from back handing you if you mouthed off to them especially male teachers and very especially our coach. Also if our parents got wind of us acting up in school we got it again at home. There is most certainly a change in attitude in youth today than when I grew up. No discipline at home kids are allowed to disrespect teachers with impunity now. I would never want to be a teacher in todays environment. Not to mention anyone who wants to make a payday can set a teacher up for something like this and sue the city and the school. What are your thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-inves ... 46884.html

Newark727

Re: Florida school principal paddles 6 year old

Mon May 03, 2021 8:54 pm

I don't think a 6-year-old is old enough to really understand a punishment like that in a constructive way. Just scares 'em.

johns624

Mon May 03, 2021 9:17 pm

Newark727 wrote:
I don't think a 6-year-old is old enough to really understand a punishment like that in a constructive way. Just scares 'em.

It was constructive...I bet he doesn't do it again...

flipdewaf

Mon May 03, 2021 10:17 pm

johns624 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Absolutely, violence and the threats thereof gets you what you want. A lesson learned right there.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scbriml

Mon May 03, 2021 10:40 pm

johns624 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

I'm going to guess you didn't watch the video or read the article? I'm also going to guess that Melissa Carter will be looking for a new job fairly soon.

Sure, beating kids is always a good idea. I mean, it's not like we're in 2021 or anything like that (but obviously, it is Florida). BTW, "he" was a "she". :sarcastic:

flipdewaf wrote:
Absolutely, violence and the threats thereof gets you what you want. A lesson learned right there.

Yep, beat kids and in just a few years, they'll be able to buy a gun. What could go wrong?
Last edited by scbriml on Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SL1200MK2

Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 pm

So long as a student can hit a teacher back for transgressions.

I’m surprised we’re discussing whether a teacher can put their hands on a student, let alone dole out physical punishment
Last edited by SL1200MK2 on Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newark727

Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:

If I'm not happy with my grade I should be able to challenge my teacher to trial by combat

SL1200MK2

Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm

Newark727 wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

If I'm not happy with my grade I should be able to challenge my teacher to trial by combat

Bingo! And with the guns that seem to be prevalent in Florida schools, I can only see this leading to positive outcomes.

Aaron747

Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Ok so corporal punishment is allowed in Florida but not in this county. A 6 year old child was paddled by a principal for breaking a computer monitor. The mother was told to come down and pay 50 dollars and the mother does not speak English apparently but somehow knew enough to video the incident. Don't really know how I feel about this. I grew up in northern NJ we did not have corporal punishment but it did not stop teachers from back handing you if you mouthed off to them especially male teachers and very especially our coach. Also if our parents got wind of us acting up in school we got it again at home. There is most certainly a change in attitude in youth today than when I grew up. No discipline at home kids are allowed to disrespect teachers with impunity now. I would never want to be a teacher in todays environment. Not to mention anyone who wants to make a payday can set a teacher up for something like this and sue the city and the school. What are your thoughts?

I was wowed by ‘doesn’t speak English apparently but knew enough to video the incident’. Like, advice and communication regularly occur in languages other than English. Knowledge in general does not require English. Some topics may even include law and CYA.

As for the corporal punishment, it’s Florida, color me surprised.

stratosphere
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

I was wowed by ‘doesn’t speak English apparently but knew enough to video the incident’. Like, advice and communication regularly occur in languages other than English. Knowledge in general does not require English. Some topics may even include law and CYA.

I made that statement because the mother was asked why she didn't stop it and she claims it was because she didn't understand what was happening because she didn't understand English but she knew enough to video the incident tho.

Aaron747

Mon May 03, 2021 11:47 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

I made that statement because the mother was asked why she didn't stop it and she claims it was because she didn't understand what was happening because she didn't understand English but she knew enough to video the incident tho.

Again, because someone likely advised her to video what was going on just in case, when they heard she was summoned to the school re her daughter. Not understanding English is pretty irrelevant here.

ltbewr

Tue May 04, 2021 12:51 am

I was in grade school in the 1960's and bailed out of Catholic school after the 7th Grade due to the violence of the nuns and lack of effort to deal with bullying in the schoolyard. To this day, it still affects my life. Some of the stuff the nuns did like using a 1/4 thick yardstick on your butt, smashing your knuckles with a heavy metal ruler for some minor infraction, like not recalling a critical concept of the faith when asked. I suspected many of the nuns were abused as children, had mental health problems, some forced to become nuns. Maybe the violence was out of sexual frustration. Some were actually decent people but they still allowed the violent physical assaults. Of course if ever hit the back, you feared that you would be immediate be struck down dead by God himself. Fortunately I was never a victim of sexual assault or harassment by them or the priests/brothers.
No one, child or adult, should be a victim of physical violence. I hope the parent(s) of this child will sue the school to the max, if they don't then when the child grows up to age 18 sue their ass off. This 'teacher' needs to be immediately lose their professional license and face criminal charges with jail time for child abuse.

casinterest

Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 am

I grew up in Florida, and got the paddle when I was young. It was with parental consent only, and I got it at home and at school. There is no reason for paddling, and i learned that as I got older. . You have to reason with kids , otherwise the only lesson is that they can beat someone else, instead of working it out and understanding what went wrong. My experience showed that the ones that got the paddle for beating others, just kept beating others the more they got paddled.

The principal should be fired, and not allowed back in a school. The clerk as well.

einsteinboricua

Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 am

stratosphere wrote:
Don't really know how I feel about this.

If you're conflicted about your feelings regarding a 6 year old being paddled for breaking a monitor especially in a county where it is NOT allowed, and when no consent had been given by the parent, for a "crime" that is not even at that level (whether intentional or unintentional), then please, do not reproduce, stay away from any other kids, and seek help.

Even if I were authorized to spank a child, I would never resort to it. There are ways to punish without corporal punishment. And if you're so sensitive that a kid speaking out warrants a slap, then please never go outdoors and disconnect from the internet.

That comment brings back a memory of my dad who beat me with a belt (to the point where I bled) just because I dropped a jug of water; after that, our relationship was never the same. Oh but, apparently, I had to learn a lesson about not dropping jugs of water anymore.

Aaron747

Tue May 04, 2021 2:27 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
Don't really know how I feel about this.

If you're conflicted about your feelings regarding a 6 year old being paddled for breaking a monitor especially in a county where it is NOT allowed, and when no consent had been given by the parent, for a "crime" that is not even at that level (whether intentional or unintentional), then please, do not reproduce, stay away from any other kids, and seek help.

Even if I were authorized to spank a child, I would never resort to it. There are ways to punish without corporal punishment. And if you're so sensitive that a kid speaking out warrants a slap, then please never go outdoors and disconnect from the internet.

That comment brings back a memory of my dad who beat me with a belt (to the point where I bled) just because I dropped a jug of water; after that, our relationship was never the same. Oh but, apparently, I had to learn a lesson about not dropping jugs of water anymore.

Absolutely - my dad would also pinch until he got the satisfaction of getting my answer to the question: ‘does that hurt enough? want it to stop? what are you going to do next time?’. Never apologized, though that was amongst many of his shortcomings. My mom got frustrated with me at times and lost her temper once or twice, but always apologized later. Guess which one I still have a good relationship with?

Airontario

Tue May 04, 2021 2:44 am

Of course it was Florida.

casinterest

Tue May 04, 2021 3:02 am

My principal had a paddle like the ones in Dazed and confused. No Graphics, but it had holes drilled in it for "Aerodynamics"

https://twitter.com/stfoodcinema/status ... 00/photo/1

scbriml

Tue May 04, 2021 7:18 am

stratosphere wrote:

Dude, when you're in a hole, stop digging.

einsteinboricua wrote:

Well, at least a career in teaching isn't being considered. Which will be a relief to most parents.

bennett123

Tue May 04, 2021 12:49 pm

Our Junior School used corporal punishment.

I am perfectly prepared to stand up for myself, but have not killed anyone yet.

Sokes

Tue May 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Laws have to be made to prevent bad situations. They can only do justice in a majority of cases. That's the price a society has to pay to prevent arbitrary decisions by those in power.

It is possible that the child spoilt the monitor on purpose and has a long history of defiant behavior. Maybe she has conduct disorder.

But maybe the principle is sadist. Or maybe the child didn't do it on purpose and the principle suffers from paranoia and assumed the child did.

Mental healthy parents hitting not hard on buddocks or the arm in extreme situations can be appropriate.

My son is defiant. He isn't doing evil on purpose. He just does what he likes and ignores instructions. I often shouted at him that one should first beat him and then give the instruction. Sometimes I did beat him.
I know people with paranoia have no insight. Since I usually don't have conflicts with people beside my wife and since there is nobody in my original family who suffers from paranoia I consider it very unlikely that I suffer from it. I also have no sadism.

However I observed that the chances of me beating my son increased when my wife already went on my nerves earlier.
What if my capacity in self observation had to be very low?

My father thinks my son learnt not to listen in order to handle my wife's bla, bla. She does suffer from paranoia which leads to lot of nagging. My son handles it much better than myself.

Also my son isn't very good in understanding other people's emotion. I again and again have to ask "What did I feel in that situation? " There is no bad intention.

Once I was away from my family for three months. The situation between my wife and my son escalated. She beat him on the neck. Till today he has complaints. I wonder how children of drug addicts and criminals grow up.

While I think there can be situations in which hitting on the arm can be appropriate, the risks are in no proportion to the potential benefits.

I dislike journalists.
Did this principle have a history of violent behavior?
What do classmates' parents think of the child?
We also have no way of knowing if the mother didn't give permission. Can there be a financial advantage for the mother?

slider

Tue May 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Teachers are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation in modern times.

Family unit breaks down, they have to not only teach, but also discipline. And that balance is tough. I can't imagine. I have mixed thoughts on corporal punishment though, although in this situation, eh, who knows.

scbriml

Tue May 04, 2021 3:35 pm

slider wrote:
Teachers are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation in modern times.

Family unit breaks down, they have to not only teach, but also discipline. And that balance is tough. I can't imagine. I have mixed thoughts on corporal punishment though, although in this situation, eh, who knows.

So you're not sure how you feel about a grown-ass woman, in a position of responsibility (but hopefully not for much longer), beating a girl of six multiple times with a lump of wood? How far would she have to go before you think "Hmm, that doesn't look right"? SMH

alfa164

Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 pm

johns624 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

It wasn't a he; she was a she. Perhaps you should get the facts before pontificating on the issue...

:roll:

scbriml wrote:
So you're not sure how you feel about a grown-ass woman, in a position of responsibility (but hopefully not for much longer), beating a girl of six multiple times with a lump of wood? How far would she have to go before you think "Hmm, that doesn't look right"? SMH

:checkmark:

Aaron747

Wed May 05, 2021 1:31 am

scbriml wrote:
slider wrote:

And that’s even before finding out what the beating was for.