Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Empire State Building Turns 90 Years Old

Mon May 03, 2021 11:39 pm

This topic might deserve deserve seperate thread because of the significance of what is happening. On Saturday, the Empire State Building celebrated the 90 year anniversary of it's opening with Mayor Bill deBlasio taking part of the celebrations. The opening of the famous skyscraper took place on May 1, 1931 and President Hoover flipped a switch from the White House. The building has become a landmark, cultural icon, and tourist attraction, though it primarily serves as an office building. The Empire State Building opened during the Great Depression and has endured World War 2, the high crime years in New York City during the 1970's, the attacks on 9/11, and on the 90 year anniversary COVID-19. On Saturday night, the building was lit in it's signature white color and a special 90 lighting effect was included in the ceremony. This is a building that has stood the test of time and hopefully will stand thousands of years.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/newyork.cb ... rsary/amp/

Kent350787

Re: Empire State Building Turns 90 Years Old

Tue May 04, 2021 12:20 am

Let's make a special callout about the plane crash as well.

With Chrysler, ESB was peak pre-depression skyscraper race, and has such a huge place in the psyche of NYC as (effectively) the world's capital.

Out of interest, are the sightlines down the centre of town preserved? I was a little surprised as a first time visitor how little tall there was between Rockefeller and ESB.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Let's make a special callout about the plane crash as well.

With Chrysler, ESB was peak pre-depression skyscraper race, and has such a huge place in the psyche of NYC as (effectively) the world's capital.

Out of interest, are the sightlines down the centre of town preserved? I was a little surprised as a first time visitor how little tall there was between Rockefeller and ESB.

The sight lines are not preserved as far as I know. Wish New York City would pass a law that protects views of icons like the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, and Statue of Liberty similar to a law London has to protect views of icons like St.Paul's Cathedral.

LCDFlight

Tue May 04, 2021 3:00 am

An absolutely epic building, like the Boeing 747 of buildings basically. It's an icon of the modern era, not just of the US but I believe globally, as NYC is a global city... It is difficult to imagine that ESB continues to serve and do its job perfectly, perhaps for centuries to come. What an accomplishment for the designers and builders.

I can remember being flown over the tip of the ESB and Chrysler buildings in a Colgan B1900, on a beautiful summer evening, at maybe 2500 feet. It was like the ESB spire was going to poke us, the entire city alive right under us. Flying over midtown around sunset is one of the most spectacular things out there.

casinterest

Tue May 04, 2021 3:03 am

LCDFlight wrote:
An absolutely epic building, like the Boeing 747 of buildings basically. It's an icon of the modern era, not just of the US but I believe globally, as NYC is a global city... It is difficult to imagine that ESB continues to serve and do its job perfectly, perhaps for centuries to come. I can remember being flown over the tip of the ESB and Chrysler buildings in a Colgan B1900, on a beautiful summer evening, at maybe 2500 feet. It was like the ESB spire was going to poke us, the entire city alive right under us. Flying over midtown around sunset is one of the most spectacular things out there.

It is an epic building, but it is getting overshadowed over time by the taller buildings, but there is no mistaking it's architecture .

Kent350787

Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 am

casinterest wrote:
It is an epic building, but it is getting overshadowed over time by the taller buildings, but there is no mistaking it's architecture .

It represents something very significant, but I find it very staid. Of the two, I find Chrysler far more distinctive. The later Rockefeller is a much better resolved building and precinct than ESB.

FGITD

Tue May 04, 2021 3:23 am

casinterest wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
An absolutely epic building, like the Boeing 747 of buildings basically. It's an icon of the modern era, not just of the US but I believe globally, as NYC is a global city... It is difficult to imagine that ESB continues to serve and do its job perfectly, perhaps for centuries to come. I can remember being flown over the tip of the ESB and Chrysler buildings in a Colgan B1900, on a beautiful summer evening, at maybe 2500 feet. It was like the ESB spire was going to poke us, the entire city alive right under us. Flying over midtown around sunset is one of the most spectacular things out there.

What sets ESB apart is the whole story of it. The race for height, the new techniques developed, the architecture style, and the fact that it was built in barely a year and a half. There’s a certain mystique about it all. It was going to be an airship dock, a b25 flew into it, the crazy photos of the iron workers... there are stories and tales.

These days you could tell me that they’re building a 300 story in Dubai, and I can pretty well already imagine what it would look like, and while I’d be impressed, the modern superscrapers just don’t capture that magic

caliboy93

Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 am

It's also a symbol of America's technological and economic might. Can you imagine any other country/society in the world being able to build something like that, especially in the early 20th century? I'm sure anyone who came to NYC from another country at the time, especially from places like Asia, India, and Africa would be so blown away to see all the advances.

Aesma

Tue May 04, 2021 7:20 am

By the way about the airship dock, would it have worked OK in windy conditions ?

Kiwirob

Tue May 04, 2021 7:43 am

Aesma wrote:
By the way about the airship dock, would it have worked OK in windy conditions ?

They only ever tried docking once, the photo that is on the internet is a fake.

Kiwirob

Tue May 04, 2021 8:13 am

caliboy93 wrote:
It's also a symbol of America's technological and economic might. Can you imagine any other country/society in the world being able to build something like that, especially in the early 20th century? I'm sure anyone who came to NYC from another country at the time, especially from places like Asia, India, and Africa would be so blown away to see all the advances.

Nobody else needed to, New York was crowded, the only way to create more space was building up. You were only building skyscrapers in New York and Chicago, other major cities with plenty of land to build like LA didn't get in on the Skyscraper action.

slider

Tue May 04, 2021 3:13 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

It's quite astounding, really. Built in a year. ONE damn year. Crazy to even contemplate given construction today.

4.5 stories per week.

And for the time, only five fatalities during construction, which is incredible (Sears Tower also had five a half century later).

frmrCapCadet

Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm

I am sure it can be found online, but the building has had a super updating in this century. An oddity: the hallways all have black ceilings, and much of the utilities/wiring run openly in that space. All painted black. It allows easy updating for all sorts of things. Also all windows were removed, and each window frame was re-glassed with insulating panes, and then re-installed exactly in its original place but with better sealing. The building is pretty energy efficient and a great place to work, as well as to visit.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2021 4:28 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I am sure it can be found online, but the building has had a super updating in this century. An oddity: the hallways all have black ceilings, and much of the utilities/wiring run openly in that space. All painted black. It allows easy updating for all sorts of things. Also all windows were removed, and each window frame was re-glassed with insulating panes, and then re-installed exactly in its original place but with better sealing. The building is pretty energy efficient and a great place to work, as well as to visit.

There have been a lot of upgrades to make the Empire State Building energy efficient since 2006 and in about 2011, the building received LEED Gold status.