Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Do you have a tablet?

Wed May 05, 2021 5:45 pm

I would you like to know, do you have a tablet?

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. I don't need a high-end tablet since I mostly just use it to watch and stream movies either on road trips or for the IFE on airlines (I gave in since airlines have removed their in-seat monitors on domestic flights). My main device for everyday use is a Samsung Galaxy S21+ smartphone. I used to watch DVDs on my old laptop when there were no PTVs, but a tablet is more convenient (my current laptop doesn't have an optical drive).

Dutchy

Re: Do you have a tablet?

Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 pm

nope. Or well, I have an Ipad 1 somewhere, didn't work for me at all. I didn't find any use for it, so I didn't get another one and let my mother use the Ipad till it was needed to be replaced a year or two ago.
I have a Macbook and an iphone 11, I don't need anything in between ;)

fortytwoeyes

Wed May 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Galaxy Tab A 10.1, which is pretty much always mounted to our elliptical trainer for entertainment. With my phone being a Galaxy Note 10+ I don't really need a tablet in other situations.

moo

Wed May 05, 2021 10:01 pm

I have an iPad Mini 4 for day-to-day use such as browsing on the couch, Kindle etc.

I also have an iPad Pro 12.9" for diagramming, drawing etc to build illustrations for my job, and thats used daily. It doesnt replace my iPad Mini for day-to-day usage because of the screen size - the Mini is more suited to reading in bed etc.

NIKV69

Wed May 05, 2021 11:42 pm

Most recent iPad

Classa64

Wed May 05, 2021 11:49 pm

My wife has had an ipad forever loves it, I cant do it I have a desktop PC. Cant do small screens :)

Aesma

Thu May 06, 2021 8:15 am

I have a chumwi something I use when travelling if I can't bring my work laptop. So not many times. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so can use it as a miniature laptop, in fact I mostly connect through a remote desktop to my desktop computer that I never turn off.

I only watch movies and tv series on big screens with surround sound so no use there for the tablet.

As for browsing or playing some quick game on the sofa, my phone is enough.

steman

Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 pm

I have a January 2012 vintage iPad2 which amazingly still works, even though I have to strip it down and remove almost all apps. I just use it for Facetime with a couple of friends and watch Netflix in bed. I never felt the need to get a more modern iPad or an Android Tablet because for internet browsing i still prefer a Laptop (another vintage, a 2010 15' Macbook which still runs super smooth, though it had its hard drive replaced with SSD memory) and for anything else I rely on a Samsung S21Ultra, which is big enough to be used as Media Device during travel.

flipdewaf

Thu May 06, 2021 8:42 pm

My work gave me an iPad which I use day to day as well. I use it in conjunction with my work laptop as a note taking device and it works great, working from home now I’m paperless. It has great integration with all the MS office stuff that I wouldn’t take my laptop with me for trips of less than 2 days, the only drawback for me is that it doesn’t run some of my stats programs and the functionality of excel is severely reduced however PowerPoint is better than the desktop. It’s just a iPad 7th gen however I think I’d go for a iPad Pro 12.9 to benefit from more screen real estate if I could.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 07, 2021 7:41 am

I have an iPad Air 2 that I bought back in 2015. Currently it's being used as an e-Book reader (because nothing beats Apple Books, not even Kindle), and as a YouTube viewer. But I don't do anything much other than that.

I also have an iPad Mini 3 that I bought for my mother, but she didn't like it so it's now in the hands of my sister.

Pellegrine

Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Never. Gonna buy one just to put in my treadmill's tablet holder because I like to watch news and listen to music at the same time while doing cardio.

JayinKitsap

Sun May 16, 2021 8:41 pm

Costco has Samsung tablets that are just the Wi-Fi version for around $100 now, quite amazing what they can do for the price.

Great for surfing the web when the Chromebook is just too big.

usair1489

Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 pm

I use an iPad and while it's great for many things, there's just some things I think work better on a laptop or desktop computer.

Sometimes it amazes me how people use their smartphone and/or tablet for EVERYTHING. God bless them for being able to do so; I just couldn't use either for some functions.

ACDC8

Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Got an older iPad Mini. Only use it when I travel.

Ken777

Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 am

The wife and I upgraded our iPhones to the 11 and got iPads at the same time - it was a pretty good deal. I mainly use the iPad for Kindle and watching TV. My wife spends a fair bit of time on Facebook but her main pleasure is a large screen for Face Time with our granddaughter (away at college) and her brother on Perth (PER). We also use them when traveling - I can get us to any address in the country with the Maps system and the display is better (for me) than the smaller iPhone. Overall they are a good decision for us both.

vhqpa

Mon May 17, 2021 2:36 am

Not anymore. In the past I've had an iPad 2, a couple of Samsung S series tablets and a cheap Lenovo tablet.

Instead of a tablet I now use a HP x360 Chromebook, which can be used as a tablet (albeit a very thick tablet), but personally I much prefer having the physical keyboard.

gunsontheroof

Mon May 24, 2021 12:09 am

I don't, mostly because I've never seen a reason to purchase a digital device that doesn't really do anything my phone/laptop can't do. I could see the case for getting one if I was a frequent business traveler, but alas, I am not.

luckyone

Mon May 24, 2021 2:22 am

I do not. And I’ve never found myself for wont of one. I have a smartphone for functions that require immediate use. Otherwise I use a computer.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2021 3:12 am

luckyone wrote:
I do not. And I’ve never found myself for wont of one. I have a smartphone for functions that require immediate use. Otherwise I use a computer.

I have a tablet mainly to have a larger portable screen to watch movies when traveling, which is why I didn't go with a high-end device. I used it recently when flying last month (watched Frozen 2, Tooth Fairy 2, Mulan, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory).

AirPacific747

Tue May 25, 2021 10:52 am

Got a Lenovo tab M7 for the kids to watch youtube. Fantastic value for the price you pay and the frame is even made out of metal, and not plastic. I only had an ipad through work. Dont want to buy one for private purposes as I dont see the need for it either.

I have the latest macbook pro with the M1 chip and an iphone 11... thinking about buying a windows pc for gaming.

Challenger007

Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 am

Just a week ago I received my new Samsung tablet. Before that there was a Lenovo tablet, I don't remember the model. But the new one is much better. Both the picture is good and the performance Found it purely by accident in this article https://homemakerguide.com/best-tablets-under-300/. Not that I was purposefully looking for tablets, I just had the thought that I needed to buy a new tablet, so I got it here unexpectedly. Apparently fate or something like that.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:51 pm

I replaced my tablet with a very light touchscreen Chromebook. I find it more useful. If I need a screen larger than this cellphone, I want a keyboard and maybe a mouse too, but I enjoy the anywhere of a mobile device and use my desktop for home stuff less and less, but I still need a desktop and I might buy a gaming machine for fun.

My sister just bought a new iPad. She has a laptop, but use is rare.

I think tablets are going to restaurant and retail, so the market will persist. They really need built in credit card readers (including the tap sensor that 100% of my cards have).

Lightsaber

Revelation

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:41 pm

I have a circa 2015 Amazon Fire that I use to run exactly one app, a version of Solitaire I use to keep mentally engaged when mindless TV stuff is on.

I have noticed at least two older women in my life fully embrace their larger iPads, ones they got hooked up to cellular data so they can use them anywhere. They do almost all of their email and messaging and photo sharing and web surfing and video watching using them, and take them everywhere they go.

Since I'm more into the Android ecosystem I would be happy to find a nice generic Andrioid-based tablet relatively cheap, no cellular service needed, maybe I would use it for more than I use the current Fire for.

Or maybe I will wait till Amazon Days in a few weeks and see if I can't replace the current one for cheap money.