Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
c933103
Topic Author
Posts: 5415
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 6:19 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... SApp_Other
The International Olympic Committee have previously said they need 10000 medics for the Olympic games
And now they told Japanese nurse organizations to send nurses in to work as volunteer for the Olympic
Amid the emergency status being declared and looking to be extended due to medical resources being stretched thin
And amid unstable vaccine supply have left half of the country's medical staff, despite being the most prioritized vaccination hroup, still haven't received vaccine yet
----
I guess IOC is willing to kill for the profit of airing Olympics across the globe?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14448
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 am

c933103 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/03/japan-nurses-voice-anger-at-call-to-volunteer-for-tokyo-olympics-amid-covid-crisis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
The International Olympic Committee have previously said they need 10000 medics for the Olympic games
And now they told Japanese nurse organizations to send nurses in to work as volunteer for the Olympic
Amid the emergency status being declared and looking to be extended due to medical resources being stretched thin
And amid unstable vaccine supply have left half of the country's medical staff, despite being the most prioritized vaccination hroup, still haven't received vaccine yet
----
I guess IOC is willing to kill for the profit of airing Olympics across the globe?


Of course, IOC’s only priority is $$$.

From what Japanese friends tell me, the situation is bad and getting worse. Many nurses have quit in the last year, and some hospitals approved pay increases for MDs but kept nursing bonuses the same as in 2019 despite being massively overworked. This will not be received well *at all*.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5790
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 8:18 am

There is no reason a country like Japan couldn't have been more proactive on the vaccine front and procured a lot more doses a lot earlier. Especially if their goal was to save the Olympics.

They could have had a large proportion of the population vaccinated by the summer and allowed at least some vaccinated spectators from abroad to the games.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14241
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am

Yes Japan has totally botched this. In fact it's like they didn't even try.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4160
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 10:40 am

c933103 wrote:
And now they told Japanese nurse organizations to send nurses in to work as volunteer for the Olympic
They TOLD the JNO to provide nursesm as opposed to ASKING for nurses?
I am not convinced the IOC are quite aware how the concept of volunteering works.

Aesma wrote:
Yes Japan has totally botched this. In fact it's like they didn't even try.
Still does not mean that the IOC can push through what they want.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 11:35 am

Wait, so the Olympics might not happen?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
kalvado
Posts: 3101
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/03/japan-nurses-voice-anger-at-call-to-volunteer-for-tokyo-olympics-amid-covid-crisis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
The International Olympic Committee have previously said they need 10000 medics for the Olympic games
And now they told Japanese nurse organizations to send nurses in to work as volunteer for the Olympic
Amid the emergency status being declared and looking to be extended due to medical resources being stretched thin
And amid unstable vaccine supply have left half of the country's medical staff, despite being the most prioritized vaccination hroup, still haven't received vaccine yet
----
I guess IOC is willing to kill for the profit of airing Olympics across the globe?


Of course, IOC’s only priority is $$$.

From what Japanese friends tell me, the situation is bad and getting worse. Many nurses have quit in the last year, and some hospitals approved pay increases for MDs but kept nursing bonuses the same as in 2019 despite being massively overworked. This will not be received well *at all*.

Last year it was about Japan trying to save Olympics at all costs with IOC being less enthusiastic. I wonder if tides have changed since then.
 
User avatar
c933103
Topic Author
Posts: 5415
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Francoflier wrote:
There is no reason a country like Japan couldn't have been more proactive on the vaccine front and procured a lot more doses a lot earlier. Especially if their goal was to save the Olympics.

They could have had a large proportion of the population vaccinated by the summer and allowed at least some vaccinated spectators from abroad to the games.

Japanese domestic vaccine research are still in Phase 2/3 testing and cannot be expect to complete and rollout within this year, with reason being said as low national research budget for vaccine in 2010s
Domestic production of foreign vaccine, specifically the AstraZeneca, is expected to be available from mid-May
Import of vaccines are subjected to EU and US's export control
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15652
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 1:16 pm

It is becoming more apparent the inability to hold 2020 Summer Olympics in 2021 in Japan. The IOC and Japanese political leaders are trying to salvage it to 'save face' ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/save-face ) but it is too dangerous to do so. Japan cannot put their people at risk by diverting medical services and staffing to be able to hold them while they are in and likely to continues be at 'peak' status. I also suspect many countries will not allow or their athletes will decline to attend with the current and likely continuing high risk of infection, many countries yet to vaccinated their citizens and the lack of usual interactions, no crowds in the stands, it will be meaningless.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14448
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 2:45 pm

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
There is no reason a country like Japan couldn't have been more proactive on the vaccine front and procured a lot more doses a lot earlier. Especially if their goal was to save the Olympics.

They could have had a large proportion of the population vaccinated by the summer and allowed at least some vaccinated spectators from abroad to the games.


It's unclear what their goal actually is - the LDP is completely inept and has been for years. It's most likely that they are doing a finger-in-wind test on the regular. They only continue to win elections because young people don't really vote and party buys the votes of millions of senior citizens with lavish public expenditures in rural areas and conservative pet projects that keep nationalists happy.

What


Contemporary Japanese politics 101.

Tokyo Metro govt. and the LDP braintrust they are tied to obviously hope they can still put the show on so they don’t pay at the polls for all the money wasted, but the construction firms have already been paid and there’s no pressure to bear there. Many Japanese outside of Tokyo are indifferent about the games (or even against them), even some LDP loyalists, so they really have to keep their finger in the wind on this.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14241
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Still does not mean that the IOC can push through what they want.


Well Japan wanted the games, and got them in a competitive bid. Winning that means you have tons of obligations. Nobody forced Japan to do it. Clearly with insight it was a bit of a strange idea from a country with more and more old people and less and less young people.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
889091
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Just look at what's happened to the IPL (cricket) in India.....
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 21983
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 7:15 pm

Francoflier wrote:
There is no reason a country like Japan couldn't have been more proactive on the vaccine front and procured a lot more doses a lot earlier. Especially if their goal was to save the Olympics.

They could have had a large proportion of the population vaccinated by the summer and allowed at least some vaccinated spectators from abroad to the games.

Agreed. They could have been like the UK or USA over-buying vaccines to select among the prefered.

Asking nurses to volunteer is unfair. They have been so over-worked. I don't feel it is right to demand they volunteer.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 21983
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It is becoming more apparent the inability to hold 2020 Summer Olympics in 2021 in Japan. The IOC and Japanese political leaders are trying to salvage it to 'save face' ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/save-face ) but it is too dangerous to do so. Japan cannot put their people at risk by diverting medical services and staffing to be able to hold them while they are in and likely to continues be at 'peak' status. I also suspect many countries will not allow or their athletes will decline to attend with the current and likely continuing high risk of infection, many countries yet to vaccinated their citizens and the lack of usual interactions, no crowds in the stands, it will be meaningless.

In my opinion, the Olympics could be held if an absolutely huge vaccination campaign could be started... Now!

Which brings up questions of supply, willingness, staffing to administer jabs, etc.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.
 
User avatar
c933103
Topic Author
Posts: 5415
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It's unclear what their goal actually is - the LDP is completely inept and has been for years. It's most likely that they are doing a finger-in-wind test on the regular. They only continue to win elections because young people don't really vote and party buys the votes of millions of senior citizens with lavish public expenditures in rural areas and conservative pet projects that keep nationalists happy.

What


Contemporary Japanese politics 101.

Tokyo Metro govt. and the LDP braintrust they are tied to obviously hope they can still put the show on so they don’t pay at the polls for all the money wasted, but the construction firms have already been paid and there’s no pressure to bear there. Many Japanese outside of Tokyo are indifferent about the games (or even against them), even some LDP loyalists, so they really have to keep their finger in the wind on this.

... The Tokyo Metro government isn't even LDP now?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
AirbusCheerlead
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 8:57 pm

lightsaber wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
It is becoming more apparent the inability to hold 2020 Summer Olympics in 2021 in Japan. The IOC and Japanese political leaders are trying to salvage it to 'save face' ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/save-face ) but it is too dangerous to do so. Japan cannot put their people at risk by diverting medical services and staffing to be able to hold them while they are in and likely to continues be at 'peak' status. I also suspect many countries will not allow or their athletes will decline to attend with the current and likely continuing high risk of infection, many countries yet to vaccinated their citizens and the lack of usual interactions, no crowds in the stands, it will be meaningless.

In my opinion, the Olympics could be held if an absolutely huge vaccination campaign could be started... Now!

Which brings up questions of supply, willingness, staffing to administer jabs, etc.

Lightsaber


Per this Bloomberg article (subscription) from today over 72 Mio doses were send to Japan from Europe.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ps-u-s-u-k

This older Bloomberg article (30.04.21) confirme the shipments from Europe but the exact numbers of jabs is disputed with Japan saying there were less jabs sent.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/onwe ... s-revealed

I think the difference in numbers might be explained by the EU considering an export when the export authorisation is rubber stamped while Japan counts the jabs it has in hands.

Form the exports numbers regularly leaked to Bloomberg by the EU one could see a stark rize in shipment in the last weeks (I posted some numbers in the EU thread)

A massive vaccine rollout might happen so in Japan...

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas
 
User avatar
c933103
Topic Author
Posts: 5415
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 pm

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
It is becoming more apparent the inability to hold 2020 Summer Olympics in 2021 in Japan. The IOC and Japanese political leaders are trying to salvage it to 'save face' ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/save-face ) but it is too dangerous to do so. Japan cannot put their people at risk by diverting medical services and staffing to be able to hold them while they are in and likely to continues be at 'peak' status. I also suspect many countries will not allow or their athletes will decline to attend with the current and likely continuing high risk of infection, many countries yet to vaccinated their citizens and the lack of usual interactions, no crowds in the stands, it will be meaningless.

In my opinion, the Olympics could be held if an absolutely huge vaccination campaign could be started... Now!

Which brings up questions of supply, willingness, staffing to administer jabs, etc.

Lightsaber


Per this Bloomberg article (subscription) from today over 72 Mio doses were send to Japan from Europe.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ps-u-s-u-k

This older Bloomberg article (30.04.21) confirme the shipments from Europe but the exact numbers of jabs is disputed with Japan saying there were less jabs sent.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/onwe ... s-revealed

I think the difference in numbers might be explained by the EU considering an export when the export authorisation is rubber stamped while Japan counts the jabs it has in hands.

Form the exports numbers regularly leaked to Bloomberg by the EU one could see a stark rize in shipment in the last weeks (I posted some numbers in the EU thread)

A massive vaccine rollout might happen so in Japan...

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas

My understanding is that both numbers only represent the number EU approve to send to foreign countries, not the numbers that have already been sent?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14448
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Fri May 07, 2021 12:54 am

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
What


Contemporary Japanese politics 101.

Tokyo Metro govt. and the LDP braintrust they are tied to obviously hope they can still put the show on so they don’t pay at the polls for all the money wasted, but the construction firms have already been paid and there’s no pressure to bear there. Many Japanese outside of Tokyo are indifferent about the games (or even against them), even some LDP loyalists, so they really have to keep their finger in the wind on this.

... The Tokyo Metro government isn't even LDP now?


Don’t fool yourself. Have you lived in Japan? Most of the conservative ‘opposition’ parties are comprised entirely of ex-LDP pols and are one or two issue differentiators. It’s lipstick on a pig. Koike and her ‘hope’ party are basically the entire LDP platform except they’re 100% against nuclear energy and for more spending on childcare. That’s it. She only left LDP officially to outmaneuver LDP leadership when they were trying to replace her.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 21983
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Fri May 07, 2021 1:17 am

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
It is becoming more apparent the inability to hold 2020 Summer Olympics in 2021 in Japan. The IOC and Japanese political leaders are trying to salvage it to 'save face' ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/save-face ) but it is too dangerous to do so. Japan cannot put their people at risk by diverting medical services and staffing to be able to hold them while they are in and likely to continues be at 'peak' status. I also suspect many countries will not allow or their athletes will decline to attend with the current and likely continuing high risk of infection, many countries yet to vaccinated their citizens and the lack of usual interactions, no crowds in the stands, it will be meaningless.

In my opinion, the Olympics could be held if an absolutely huge vaccination campaign could be started... Now!

Which brings up questions of supply, willingness, staffing to administer jabs, etc.

Lightsaber


Per this Bloomberg article (subscription) from today over 72 Mio doses were send to Japan from Europe.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ps-u-s-u-k

This older Bloomberg article (30.04.21) confirme the shipments from Europe but the exact numbers of jabs is disputed with Japan saying there were less jabs sent.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/onwe ... s-revealed

I think the difference in numbers might be explained by the EU considering an export when the export authorisation is rubber stamped while Japan counts the jabs it has in hands.

Form the exports numbers regularly leaked to Bloomberg by the EU one could see a stark rize in shipment in the last weeks (I posted some numbers in the EU thread)

A massive vaccine rollout might happen so in Japan...

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas

That is great news, thank you!
With a population of 126 million, They'll need 250 million doses (give or take) plus later boosters. 72 million (or a bit less, jabs in hand) is a good start.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.
 
AirbusCheerlead
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 pm

c933103 wrote:
AirbusCheerlead wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
In my opinion, the Olympics could be held if an absolutely huge vaccination campaign could be started... Now!

Which brings up questions of supply, willingness, staffing to administer jabs, etc.

Lightsaber


Per this Bloomberg article (subscription) from today over 72 Mio doses were send to Japan from Europe.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ps-u-s-u-k

This older Bloomberg article (30.04.21) confirme the shipments from Europe but the exact numbers of jabs is disputed with Japan saying there were less jabs sent.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/onwe ... s-revealed

I think the difference in numbers might be explained by the EU considering an export when the export authorisation is rubber stamped while Japan counts the jabs it has in hands.

Form the exports numbers regularly leaked to Bloomberg by the EU one could see a stark rize in shipment in the last weeks (I posted some numbers in the EU thread)

A massive vaccine rollout might happen so in Japan...

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas

My understanding is that both numbers only represent the number EU approve to send to foreign countries, not the numbers that have already been sent?


I'm not sure what you mean by both numbers. Do you mean the 72 Mio from the first link and the 52.3 Mio from the second? If so, I belive you are correct and the two number represent the total numbers the EU rubber stamped for export at two different times (52 Mio till 20.April 21 and 72 Mio till 03. Mai 21).

But in the second link, the vaccines minister Taro Kono's office confirmed that 28 Mio doses of Pfizer/BioNTech had arrived in Japan. The same article confirms that an unspecified number of Moderna also had arrived in Japan.

My assumption is that the difference between the 52 Mio and the 32 Mio Pfizer and X Mio Moderna is somewhere between the the EU factory/warehouse (time of EU export approval)and arrival in Japanese Gouvernement's hand...

For the newer number of 72 Mio, I suppose that there too is an number of jabs in "transition"...

BTW, my post wasn't a critic of the Japanese Gouvernement. I assume after arrival of the vaccines, the Japanese health authorities has to perform a number of quality checks before they can jab the population.

There is some interesting info from the dutch government at the end of the link under Deliveries & Doses in stock per type of vaccine
https://coronadashboard.government.nl/l ... accinaties
Even in the Netherlands, the vaccines coming from EMA approved factories still has to be checked. Those check seem to take a few days. And before the EMA might cheek the vaccine too.

While the factories in Europe are certainly listed in Japan's vaccines emergency authorisation, I don't think they audited/approved those factories. Hence I assume the checks take longer in Japan than for example the Netherlands.

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas
 
AirbusCheerlead
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Fri May 07, 2021 6:46 pm

IOC and Pfizer/BioNTech signed a deal (MoU) for vaccinating Games participants from National Olympic and Paralympic Committees around the world.
https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-welco ... tokyo-2020

And Ireland taking up the offer:
https://www.the42.ie/olympic-vaccinatio ... 021/?amp=1

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22178
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Fri May 07, 2021 7:18 pm

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
IOC and Pfizer/BioNTech signed a deal (MoU) for vaccinating Games participants from National Olympic and Paralympic Committees around the world.
https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-welco ... tokyo-2020
And Ireland taking up the offer:
https://www.the42.ie/olympic-vaccinatio ... 021/?amp=1



They'd better get on it quickly. It takes four weeks from dose 1 to achieve study-level protection. Moreover, these are young, healthy athletes so many of them will have some pretty strong side-effects and may have to take a day or two off training after each dose.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
c933103
Topic Author
Posts: 5415
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 pm

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
c933103 wrote:
AirbusCheerlead wrote:

Per this Bloomberg article (subscription) from today over 72 Mio doses were send to Japan from Europe.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ps-u-s-u-k

This older Bloomberg article (30.04.21) confirme the shipments from Europe but the exact numbers of jabs is disputed with Japan saying there were less jabs sent.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/onwe ... s-revealed

I think the difference in numbers might be explained by the EU considering an export when the export authorisation is rubber stamped while Japan counts the jabs it has in hands.

Form the exports numbers regularly leaked to Bloomberg by the EU one could see a stark rize in shipment in the last weeks (I posted some numbers in the EU thread)

A massive vaccine rollout might happen so in Japan...

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas

My understanding is that both numbers only represent the number EU approve to send to foreign countries, not the numbers that have already been sent?


I'm not sure what you mean by both numbers. Do you mean the 72 Mio from the first link and the 52.3 Mio from the second? If so, I belive you are correct and the two number represent the total numbers the EU rubber stamped for export at two different times (52 Mio till 20.April 21 and 72 Mio till 03. Mai 21).

But in the second link, the vaccines minister Taro Kono's office confirmed that 28 Mio doses of Pfizer/BioNTech had arrived in Japan. The same article confirms that an unspecified number of Moderna also had arrived in Japan.

My assumption is that the difference between the 52 Mio and the 32 Mio Pfizer and X Mio Moderna is somewhere between the the EU factory/warehouse (time of EU export approval)and arrival in Japanese Gouvernement's hand...

For the newer number of 72 Mio, I suppose that there too is an number of jabs in "transition"...

BTW, my post wasn't a critic of the Japanese Gouvernement. I assume after arrival of the vaccines, the Japanese health authorities has to perform a number of quality checks before they can jab the population.

There is some interesting info from the dutch government at the end of the link under Deliveries & Doses in stock per type of vaccine
https://coronadashboard.government.nl/l ... accinaties
Even in the Netherlands, the vaccines coming from EMA approved factories still has to be checked. Those check seem to take a few days. And before the EMA might cheek the vaccine too.

While the factories in Europe are certainly listed in Japan's vaccines emergency authorisation, I don't think they audited/approved those factories. Hence I assume the checks take longer in Japan than for example the Netherlands.

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas

It is not clear where those vaccine actually goes to despite confirmed arrived Japan? While other news coted claims like labors and arrangements being needed for vaccine, there are still localities where they still haven't get enough vaccine for medical staff vaccination, according to my understanding
It also affect the vaccination speed and labor arrangement that vaccination of coronavirus vaccine require intramuscular injection which is different from the way Japanese medical staffs are used to which poses some challenge, but that doesn't appears to be the main hurdle? So where are the vaccines?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thunderboltdrgn and 49 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos