Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 6:19 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... SApp_Other
The International Olympic Committee have previously said they need 10000 medics for the Olympic games
And now they told Japanese nurse organizations to send nurses in to work as volunteer for the Olympic
Amid the emergency status being declared and looking to be extended due to medical resources being stretched thin
And amid unstable vaccine supply have left half of the country's medical staff, despite being the most prioritized vaccination hroup, still haven't received vaccine yet
----
I guess IOC is willing to kill for the profit of airing Olympics across the globe?

Aaron747

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 am

c933103 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/03/japan-nurses-voice-anger-at-call-to-volunteer-for-tokyo-olympics-amid-covid-crisis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
The International Olympic Committee have previously said they need 10000 medics for the Olympic games
And now they told Japanese nurse organizations to send nurses in to work as volunteer for the Olympic
Amid the emergency status being declared and looking to be extended due to medical resources being stretched thin
And amid unstable vaccine supply have left half of the country's medical staff, despite being the most prioritized vaccination hroup, still haven't received vaccine yet
----
I guess IOC is willing to kill for the profit of airing Olympics across the globe?

Of course, IOC’s only priority is $$$.

From what Japanese friends tell me, the situation is bad and getting worse. Many nurses have quit in the last year, and some hospitals approved pay increases for MDs but kept nursing bonuses the same as in 2019 despite being massively overworked. This will not be received well *at all*.

Francoflier

Re: International Olympic Committee request Japanese nurses filling Olympic duty amid pandemic emergency declaration

Thu May 06, 2021 8:18 am

There is no reason a country like Japan couldn't have been more proactive on the vaccine front and procured a lot more doses a lot earlier. Especially if their goal was to save the Olympics.

They could have had a large proportion of the population vaccinated by the summer and allowed at least some vaccinated spectators from abroad to the games.

Aesma

Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am

Yes Japan has totally botched this. In fact it's like they didn't even try.

petertenthije

Thu May 06, 2021 10:40 am

c933103 wrote:
They TOLD the JNO to provide nursesm as opposed to ASKING for nurses?
I am not convinced the IOC are quite aware how the concept of volunteering works.

Aesma wrote:
Yes Japan has totally botched this. In fact it's like they didn't even try.
Still does not mean that the IOC can push through what they want.

cjg225

Thu May 06, 2021 11:35 am

Wait, so the Olympics might not happen?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED.

kalvado

Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/03/japan-nurses-voice-anger-at-call-to-volunteer-for-tokyo-olympics-amid-covid-crisis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
----

Of course, IOC’s only priority is $$$.

From what Japanese friends tell me, the situation is bad and getting worse. Many nurses have quit in the last year, and some hospitals approved pay increases for MDs but kept nursing bonuses the same as in 2019 despite being massively overworked. This will not be received well *at all*.

Last year it was about Japan trying to save Olympics at all costs with IOC being less enthusiastic. I wonder if tides have changed since then.

c933103
Topic Author

Thu May 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Francoflier wrote:
There is no reason a country like Japan couldn't have been more proactive on the vaccine front and procured a lot more doses a lot earlier. Especially if their goal was to save the Olympics.

They could have had a large proportion of the population vaccinated by the summer and allowed at least some vaccinated spectators from abroad to the games.

Japanese domestic vaccine research are still in Phase 2/3 testing and cannot be expect to complete and rollout within this year, with reason being said as low national research budget for vaccine in 2010s
Domestic production of foreign vaccine, specifically the AstraZeneca, is expected to be available from mid-May
Import of vaccines are subjected to EU and US's export control

ltbewr

Thu May 06, 2021 1:16 pm

It is becoming more apparent the inability to hold 2020 Summer Olympics in 2021 in Japan. The IOC and Japanese political leaders are trying to salvage it to 'save face' ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/save-face ) but it is too dangerous to do so. Japan cannot put their people at risk by diverting medical services and staffing to be able to hold them while they are in and likely to continues be at 'peak' status. I also suspect many countries will not allow or their athletes will decline to attend with the current and likely continuing high risk of infection, many countries yet to vaccinated their citizens and the lack of usual interactions, no crowds in the stands, it will be meaningless.

Aaron747

Thu May 06, 2021 2:45 pm

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

It's unclear what their goal actually is - the LDP is completely inept and has been for years. It's most likely that they are doing a finger-in-wind test on the regular. They only continue to win elections because young people don't really vote and party buys the votes of millions of senior citizens with lavish public expenditures in rural areas and conservative pet projects that keep nationalists happy.

What

Contemporary Japanese politics 101.

Tokyo Metro govt. and the LDP braintrust they are tied to obviously hope they can still put the show on so they don’t pay at the polls for all the money wasted, but the construction firms have already been paid and there’s no pressure to bear there. Many Japanese outside of Tokyo are indifferent about the games (or even against them), even some LDP loyalists, so they really have to keep their finger in the wind on this.

Aesma

Thu May 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Still does not mean that the IOC can push through what they want.

Well Japan wanted the games, and got them in a competitive bid. Winning that means you have tons of obligations. Nobody forced Japan to do it. Clearly with insight it was a bit of a strange idea from a country with more and more old people and less and less young people.

Thu May 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Just look at what's happened to the IPL (cricket) in India.....

lightsaber

Thu May 06, 2021 7:15 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Agreed. They could have been like the UK or USA over-buying vaccines to select among the prefered.

Asking nurses to volunteer is unfair. They have been so over-worked. I don't feel it is right to demand they volunteer.

Lightsaber

lightsaber

Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It is becoming more apparent the inability to hold 2020 Summer Olympics in 2021 in Japan. The IOC and Japanese political leaders are trying to salvage it to 'save face' ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/save-face ) but it is too dangerous to do so. Japan cannot put their people at risk by diverting medical services and staffing to be able to hold them while they are in and likely to continues be at 'peak' status. I also suspect many countries will not allow or their athletes will decline to attend with the current and likely continuing high risk of infection, many countries yet to vaccinated their citizens and the lack of usual interactions, no crowds in the stands, it will be meaningless.

In my opinion, the Olympics could be held if an absolutely huge vaccination campaign could be started... Now!

Which brings up questions of supply, willingness, staffing to administer jabs, etc.

Lightsaber

c933103
Topic Author

Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It's unclear what their goal actually is - the LDP is completely inept and has been for years. It's most likely that they are doing a finger-in-wind test on the regular. They only continue to win elections because young people don't really vote and party buys the votes of millions of senior citizens with lavish public expenditures in rural areas and conservative pet projects that keep nationalists happy.

What

Tokyo Metro govt. and the LDP braintrust they are tied to obviously hope they can still put the show on so they don’t pay at the polls for all the money wasted, but the construction firms have already been paid and there’s no pressure to bear there. Many Japanese outside of Tokyo are indifferent about the games (or even against them), even some LDP loyalists, so they really have to keep their finger in the wind on this.

... The Tokyo Metro government isn't even LDP now?

AirbusCheerlead

Thu May 06, 2021 8:57 pm

lightsaber wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

In my opinion, the Olympics could be held if an absolutely huge vaccination campaign could be started... Now!

Which brings up questions of supply, willingness, staffing to administer jabs, etc.

Lightsaber

Per this Bloomberg article (subscription) from today over 72 Mio doses were send to Japan from Europe.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ps-u-s-u-k

This older Bloomberg article (30.04.21) confirme the shipments from Europe but the exact numbers of jabs is disputed with Japan saying there were less jabs sent.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/onwe ... s-revealed

I think the difference in numbers might be explained by the EU considering an export when the export authorisation is rubber stamped while Japan counts the jabs it has in hands.

Form the exports numbers regularly leaked to Bloomberg by the EU one could see a stark rize in shipment in the last weeks (I posted some numbers in the EU thread)

A massive vaccine rollout might happen so in Japan...

Best regards and stay safe,
Jonas

c933103
Topic Author

Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 pm

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Lightsaber

Per this Bloomberg article (subscription) from today over 72 Mio doses were send to Japan from Europe.

This older Bloomberg article (30.04.21) confirme the shipments from Europe but the exact numbers of jabs is disputed with Japan saying there were less jabs sent.

I think the difference in numbers might be explained by the EU considering an export when the export authorisation is rubber stamped while Japan counts the jabs it has in hands.

Form the exports numbers regularly leaked to Bloomberg by the EU one could see a stark rize in shipment in the last weeks (I posted some numbers in the EU thread)

Jonas

My understanding is that both numbers only represent the number EU approve to send to foreign countries, not the numbers that have already been sent?

Aaron747

Fri May 07, 2021 12:54 am

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
What

... The Tokyo Metro government isn't even LDP now?

Don’t fool yourself. Have you lived in Japan? Most of the conservative ‘opposition’ parties are comprised entirely of ex-LDP pols and are one or two issue differentiators. It’s lipstick on a pig. Koike and her ‘hope’ party are basically the entire LDP platform except they’re 100% against nuclear energy and for more spending on childcare. That’s it. She only left LDP officially to outmaneuver LDP leadership when they were trying to replace her.

lightsaber

Fri May 07, 2021 1:17 am

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Lightsaber

Jonas

That is great news, thank you!
With a population of 126 million, They'll need 250 million doses (give or take) plus later boosters. 72 million (or a bit less, jabs in hand) is a good start.

Lightsaber

AirbusCheerlead

Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 pm

c933103 wrote:
AirbusCheerlead wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Jonas

My understanding is that both numbers only represent the number EU approve to send to foreign countries, not the numbers that have already been sent?

I'm not sure what you mean by both numbers. Do you mean the 72 Mio from the first link and the 52.3 Mio from the second? If so, I belive you are correct and the two number represent the total numbers the EU rubber stamped for export at two different times (52 Mio till 20.April 21 and 72 Mio till 03. Mai 21).

But in the second link, the vaccines minister Taro Kono's office confirmed that 28 Mio doses of Pfizer/BioNTech had arrived in Japan. The same article confirms that an unspecified number of Moderna also had arrived in Japan.

My assumption is that the difference between the 52 Mio and the 32 Mio Pfizer and X Mio Moderna is somewhere between the the EU factory/warehouse (time of EU export approval)and arrival in Japanese Gouvernement's hand...

For the newer number of 72 Mio, I suppose that there too is an number of jabs in "transition"...

BTW, my post wasn't a critic of the Japanese Gouvernement. I assume after arrival of the vaccines, the Japanese health authorities has to perform a number of quality checks before they can jab the population.

There is some interesting info from the dutch government at the end of the link under Deliveries & Doses in stock per type of vaccine
https://coronadashboard.government.nl/l ... accinaties
Even in the Netherlands, the vaccines coming from EMA approved factories still has to be checked. Those check seem to take a few days. And before the EMA might cheek the vaccine too.

While the factories in Europe are certainly listed in Japan's vaccines emergency authorisation, I don't think they audited/approved those factories. Hence I assume the checks take longer in Japan than for example the Netherlands.

Jonas

AirbusCheerlead

Fri May 07, 2021 6:46 pm

IOC and Pfizer/BioNTech signed a deal (MoU) for vaccinating Games participants from National Olympic and Paralympic Committees around the world.
https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-welco ... tokyo-2020

And Ireland taking up the offer:
https://www.the42.ie/olympic-vaccinatio ... 021/?amp=1

Jonas

DocLightning

Fri May 07, 2021 7:18 pm

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
IOC and Pfizer/BioNTech signed a deal (MoU) for vaccinating Games participants from National Olympic and Paralympic Committees around the world.
https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-welco ... tokyo-2020
And Ireland taking up the offer:
https://www.the42.ie/olympic-vaccinatio ... 021/?amp=1

They'd better get on it quickly. It takes four weeks from dose 1 to achieve study-level protection. Moreover, these are young, healthy athletes so many of them will have some pretty strong side-effects and may have to take a day or two off training after each dose.

c933103
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 pm

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
c933103 wrote:
AirbusCheerlead wrote:

Jonas

I'm not sure what you mean by both numbers. Do you mean the 72 Mio from the first link and the 52.3 Mio from the second? If so, I belive you are correct and the two number represent the total numbers the EU rubber stamped for export at two different times (52 Mio till 20.April 21 and 72 Mio till 03. Mai 21).

But in the second link, the vaccines minister Taro Kono's office confirmed that 28 Mio doses of Pfizer/BioNTech had arrived in Japan. The same article confirms that an unspecified number of Moderna also had arrived in Japan.

My assumption is that the difference between the 52 Mio and the 32 Mio Pfizer and X Mio Moderna is somewhere between the the EU factory/warehouse (time of EU export approval)and arrival in Japanese Gouvernement's hand...

For the newer number of 72 Mio, I suppose that there too is an number of jabs in "transition"...

BTW, my post wasn't a critic of the Japanese Gouvernement. I assume after arrival of the vaccines, the Japanese health authorities has to perform a number of quality checks before they can jab the population.

There is some interesting info from the dutch government at the end of the link under Deliveries & Doses in stock per type of vaccine
https://coronadashboard.government.nl/l ... accinaties
Even in the Netherlands, the vaccines coming from EMA approved factories still has to be checked. Those check seem to take a few days. And before the EMA might cheek the vaccine too.

While the factories in Europe are certainly listed in Japan's vaccines emergency authorisation, I don't think they audited/approved those factories. Hence I assume the checks take longer in Japan than for example the Netherlands.

Jonas

It is not clear where those vaccine actually goes to despite confirmed arrived Japan? While other news coted claims like labors and arrangements being needed for vaccine, there are still localities where they still haven't get enough vaccine for medical staff vaccination, according to my understanding
It also affect the vaccination speed and labor arrangement that vaccination of coronavirus vaccine require intramuscular injection which is different from the way Japanese medical staffs are used to which poses some challenge, but that doesn't appears to be the main hurdle? So where are the vaccines?