Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Apocryphal capabilities of store credit cards

Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 am

In the eleven years that I have lived in the Twin Cities, I think I have bought gasoline at a Holiday station not more than three times (need to minimize the risk of any of my money ending up at Shell Oil), however, it appears from the stickers on their pumps that you can pay there with a Menard's store credit card.

(I don't plan on obtaining a Menard's store credit card; as their consumer card's visual design is inelegant and garish.)

If you have a JCPenney store credit card, you can use it to pay at Rite-Aid drugstores. (I have a JCP card, held over from my subprime days, but there's no annual fee so I'm keeping it why not. However there are no Rite Aid stores in Minnesota.)

If you have a Goodyear© tires credit card, you can use it to pay for gasoline at ExxonMobil stations. (I verified this myself at Glen Lake Mobil on Saturday morning.)

So... that's going on.
Pancakes are delicious.

wingman

Re: Apocryphal capabilities of store credit cards

Sun May 09, 2021 2:03 pm

You might've eaten too many pancakes.

johns624

Sun May 09, 2021 2:24 pm

I've never understood store credit cards. They limit you way too much. Store-branded Visa/MC/Amex are fine but not store cards themselves.

zakuivcustom

Sun May 09, 2021 3:18 pm

johns624 wrote:
I've never understood store credit cards. They limit you way too much. Store-branded Visa/MC/Amex are fine but not store cards themselves.

It depends - you only get a store credit card if there are things like discount anyway. Something like Target RedCard with their 5% discount for example.

But yeah, most of the time I don't bother with them - too many plastic to manage.

seb146

Sun May 09, 2021 4:13 pm

When we lived in Santa Rosa, I had a Pep Boys credit card. I had not used it in some time at one point and saw that (I think) Chevron accepted Pep Boys credit cards. I needed gas and decided "why not" so I got gas there. I never bothered to see where else it was accepted. I no longer have that card as the closest Pep Boys is a 10 hour drive one way.

I think some of these store cards are issued by the same banks so maybe that is why they can be accepted at other locations? Synchrony is one that I remember issuing cards from different stores. That may be who issued my Pep Boys card.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!