Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Reuse/repurposeing of former Airport terminal buildings

Sun May 09, 2021 9:15 pm

Sometimes airport terminal buildings become obsolete, the airport is shut down, and if the building is protected for its history or design, it has to find a reuse or repurposing. I would like to know of others. Let me give you 2 examples here in the NYC area.

TWA former terminal building at JFK to part of a hotel complex - The 'headhouse' of the Former TWA terminal building at JFK had to be retained as subject to historical preservation laws. It was designed by Eero Saarinen and considered an important structure design of the mid-20th Century. I recall being in it in the 1980's for flights to Europe. By then it was too small for continued use and TWA built a new terminal next door (I believe now used by JetBlue). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Hotel

Original purpose built terminal of EWR to offices - Originally built in 1934, this was the first real purpose built airport terminal building in the USA, and one of the first with a dedicated control tower. I was in this building several years ago. It is an excellent example of 1930's Art Deco. [It was largely replaced by the 'North' Terminal that was I believe was built in the early 1950's and demolished in the late 1980's after use as the main terminal until the current A-B-C ones starting in the mid-1970's, then by PeopleExpress but for international flights until its demise in 1987]. It was used by the US Postal Service for a number of years at its original location about 1/2 mile away to the northeast. It needed to be moved to allow the expansion of the original East-West runway. It did have historical preservation designation so had to be kept. It was broken into 3 parts, the center and 2 wings, in what was then one of the biggest structural moves of the time. It was put back together, restored and became offices for the PANYNJ there.
https://untappedcities.com/2019/09/10/a ... k-airport/

So, are there some others you here can come up with ?

VSMUT

Re: Reuse/repurposeing of former Airport terminal buildings

Sun May 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Berlin Tempelhof, used as a convention centre, hosts fairs, exhibitions etc.

Berlin Tegel, although it seems like it is still up in the air, it will probably also be repurposed as an exhibition centre and office spaces.

Berlin Schönefeld, just closed for commercial flights in February. I believe the plan was to repurpose the area as the government/VIP/military part of the new Berlin airport.

petertenthije

Sun May 09, 2021 10:13 pm

Eindhoven airport (back then still called Meerhoven) was moved a few 100 metres west after the war. The original terminal is now in the middle of a residential area. It’s used as an office building. A few years ago a lunch room started in the old airport restaurant. Nice bit of symetry.

It’s at Zandkasteel 43, Eindhoven.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zandk ... d5.4126733

An old hangar has been converted into a small shopping area.
It’s at Meerbos 4, Eindhoven
https://www.google.nl/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x4 ... DHoECB0QCA

Edited to add:
At Bosrand 2, a bit of the old Meerhoven airport has been repurposed for a health practise.
https://www.google.nl/maps/place/bosran ... AHoECAsQAg
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

Pellegrine

Mon May 10, 2021 12:18 am

If it's really long and straight it could make a bomb ass indoor racetrack.

Artists studios and gallery/museum spaces.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

Sokes

Mon May 10, 2021 8:53 am

Kurt Cobain played his last concert in terminal 1 of the former Munich airport. However after three years use for party the place was needed for a new trade fare center and a new residential area. The old tower is still there.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

seb146

Mon May 10, 2021 6:50 pm

Stapleton Denver is shopping and housing, IIRC. I don't know if the tower is still there.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

phatfarmlines

Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 pm

Red Bull has taken over the former New Orleans South Terminal for an indoor skateboarding event.

https://www.nola.com/multimedia/photos/ ... 67e5e.html

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

seb146 wrote:
Stapleton Denver is shopping and housing, IIRC. I don't know if the tower is still there.

It's still there.

Brick

Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 pm

seb146 wrote:

The control tower is still there, though no one knows what to do with it. A Punch Bowl Social opened at the base of the tower, but it has since permanently closed.

There are a couple of original hangars that are currently occupied by the Denver Police Academy and a church across the street from each other. These are the only structures that I'm aware of that are from the Stapleton Airport.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

bmartino99

Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 am

The old terminal at Houston Hobby (HOU) has been a museum for years. Its called the 1940 Air Terminal Museum. Neatly, it also has direct ramp access where you can watch Southwest birds take off and land, its a same nothing interesting flies there.

TWA772LR

Wed May 12, 2021 12:31 am

The terminals on DXB are designed to be repurposed as shopping malls if/when DWC opens.

Brick wrote:
There are a couple of original hangars that are currently occupied by the Denver Police Academy and a church across the street from each other. These are the only structures that I'm aware of that are from the Stapleton Airport.

On the flip side, a couple hangars from the old Lowry AFB have become the Wings over the Rockies Air and Space Museum.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Tokushima

Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 am

The former West Imperial Terminal at LAX is now the Flight Path Museum and Learning Center.
https://flightpathlax.com/
When it was used as a terminal, many of the charter flights that flew in & out of LAX came through there.

Airdolomiti

Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Berlin Tempelhof, used as a convention centre, hosts fairs, exhibitions etc.

Berlin Tegel, although it seems like it is still up in the air, it will probably also be repurposed as an exhibition centre and office spaces.

Berlin Schönefeld, just closed for commercial flights in February. I believe the plan was to repurpose the area as the government/VIP/military part of the new Berlin airport.

Tegel’s iconic hexagon terminal and tower will indeed be preserved and repurposed as a campus of Berlin’s university of applied sciences by 2027. By then, the developer in charge of repurposing the entire area of the former airport plans to complete a number of real estate, office and industry spaces, as well as a park: https://www.berlintxl.de/en.html