Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 am

On Thursday, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed a new law that makes voting in Florida more difficult. Ron DeSantis says that the law will protect the integrity of the election process, but civil rights activists say it will enhance voter suppression. The law places limits on drop boxes, do extra work for a mail in ballot, new voter ID requirements, a limit on ballot collection, a restriction on unsolicited mail in ballots, ban on donations to elections agencies, and more rights for partisan observers in elections. Will be interesting to see how this law turns out in court and what comes of it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14570
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 1:44 am

Their hero won in FL. Despite that, the GOP ticket is terrified of how the FL electorate is changing - this is entirely fear based.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 2:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Their hero won in FL. Despite that, the GOP ticket is terrified of how the FL electorate is changing - this is entirely fear based.

What do you see as common sense with this election law and what do you see as voter suppression?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14570
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Their hero won in FL. Despite that, the GOP ticket is terrified of how the FL electorate is changing - this is entirely fear based.

What do you see as common sense with this election law and what do you see as voter suppression?


ID requirements and partisan observers are reasonable - everything else is petty bunk. If people meet the basic requirements, there’s nothing wrong with more dropbox access and mail-in ballots.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 am

Aaron747 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Their hero won in FL. Despite that, the GOP ticket is terrified of how the FL electorate is changing - this is entirely fear based.

What do you see as common sense with this election law and what do you see as voter suppression?


ID requirements and partisan observers are reasonable - everything else is petty bunk. If people meet the basic requirements, there’s nothing wrong with more dropbox access and mail-in ballots.

Good examples of voter suppression include limits on drop box access, along with limits on when the places can be open.
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 3:34 am

Its always Republicans that seem to be making it harder for people to vote...

Would almost seem like they are part of the problem, not the solution...
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5797
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 am

The same is happening in Texas, Arizona, Georgia, etc.

If people don't like the GOP anymore, the GOP will find a way to prevent people from voting for the other guys...

That's how democracy works, right? :sarcastic:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 1:04 pm

Much of the bill is partisan which is bad. It gives the state and governor control over local elections officials and their ability to run an election for their county. Dade County is a far cry from Holmes county in terms of electora, population, and size. Ballot boxes are more important in counties such as Dade where there is more traffic.
This bill was passed on partisan lines, and the real litmus test should have been whether republicans would trust democrats if they were in control.


As for the mail in ballots, allowing "Partisan" access will only crowd, delay, and cause more issues in getting the votes counted. This wasn't about less government . It is about more beau acracy. Especially with the mail in ballot and drop box requirements. The Drop box requirements of multiple drops is not helpful, especially in cases where the voter is in assisted living facilities with family members out of state. ( this happens more than you would think in Florida). And it actually might hurt republicans more than you think since their demographics trend older.


Third party registration helps get young people involved, especially as fewer and fewer get drivers licenses ( where you can register to vote). So this will hurt both parties.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Florida won the Trump vote on a message of Democratic communism, following the Cuba travel restrictions. Trump declared Cuba as part of state-sponsored terrorism post-election, just to keep the pressure on Cuba and boost his own image towards the Cuban-Americans who voted for him.

Biden hasn't addressed US-Cuba relations yet, but I expect he will once COVID starts to die down. I can see this swaying opinions amongst the Cuban-Americans in Florida.

Though I don't think DeSantis' governance will be impacted in the 2022 state elections, Democrat candidate Andrew Gillum screwed that up, but I can see Stacy Abrams' influence spreading down to Florida, and that would concern DeSantis if he's theoretically governor for the next presidential cycle and Florida flips blue.

Which for me begs the next question: even in a state that saw an increase in Trump votes, these new restrictions would mean some Republicans may be impacted by them too. I still think voting rules should be kept at the federal level to prevent this hodge-podge at the state level.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23600
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 pm

So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Guess who he voted twice for? Hint: It wasn't Biden!

All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote. But, Republicans can see the writing on the wall. They have no ideas to move the country forward. They simply want to remain in power and own the libs. Nothing more. This will not end well for them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 pm

In the Arizona recount the GOP is currently projected to finish in late July or August with their recount that is being run by a company with a conspiracy theorist running it. The GOP has run out of ideas and is now running on lies in order to change how elections work.

The GOP can't even stand the truth in their Big-Tent as they rush to throw out a neo con that actually admits Jan 6 was incited by Trump and his lies.
De Santis is in Florida trying to prove he is the next Trump, and even closed out access to the signing to a pay for play network called Fox News.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 7:50 pm

casinterest wrote:
In the Arizona recount the GOP is currently projected to finish in late July or August with their recount that is being run by a company with a conspiracy theorist running it. The GOP has run out of ideas and is now running on lies in order to change how elections work.


Is there independent and / or Dem oversight of this "recount"? ie physically watching that the ballots aren't being tampered with? I would be very surprised if "the evidence" isn't found soon and DJT will go into full "told you so" mode. Even though that evidence wont actually exist.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
In the Arizona recount the GOP is currently projected to finish in late July or August with their recount that is being run by a company with a conspiracy theorist running it. The GOP has run out of ideas and is now running on lies in order to change how elections work.


Is there independent and / or Dem oversight of this "recount"? ie physically watching that the ballots aren't being tampered with? I would be very surprised if "the evidence" isn't found soon and DJT will go into full "told you so" mode. Even though that evidence wont actually exist.

Does it matter? This is all part of the cacophony that comes with the populist machine. The result will be “could have,” “may have,” “had potential to,” “can’t rule out,” or something alone those lines. Said result will register in a Pavlovian dog whistle fashion with the people it’s supposed to rile up, and will result in a lot more noise—this is an environment in which demagogues and polemics do well. This is not designed to actually go to court where they will have to back up everything they may say, and as such I don’t anticipate a concrete finding.
 
Elkadad313
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:55 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 10:32 pm

seb146 wrote:
So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote.

You say there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Provide a link to support that. As usual, you will hit and run and not post anything. The important missing words here are 'confirmed instances.'

One CITIZEN, REGISTERED TO VOTE, one vote. The Georgia Secretary of State said there were at least 1,000 cases of double voting in the state's primaries. Why would anyone assume that wouldn't (didn't) occur in the Nov. 3rd election? And Georgia is just one of 50 states. In a very close election, that could make a difference!

P.S. Trump didn't deserve my vote, but America deserves honest elections, regardless of party or outcome.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14260
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 pm

Elkadad313 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote.

You say there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Provide a link to support that. As usual, you will hit and run and not post anything. The important missing words here are 'confirmed instances.'

One CITIZEN, REGISTERED TO VOTE, one vote. The Georgia Secretary of State said there were at least 1,000 cases of double voting in the state's primaries. Why would anyone assume that wouldn't (didn't) occur in the Nov. 3rd election? And Georgia is just one of 50 states. In a very close election, that could make a difference!

P.S. Trump didn't deserve my vote, but America deserves honest elections, regardless of party or outcome.


I find it incredibly ironic that the individuals that champion Canada's health care system and other things don't want their election system. It would be quite refreshing actually.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 10:57 pm

luckyone wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
In the Arizona recount the GOP is currently projected to finish in late July or August with their recount that is being run by a company with a conspiracy theorist running it. The GOP has run out of ideas and is now running on lies in order to change how elections work.


Is there independent and / or Dem oversight of this "recount"? ie physically watching that the ballots aren't being tampered with? I would be very surprised if "the evidence" isn't found soon and DJT will go into full "told you so" mode. Even though that evidence wont actually exist.

Does it matter? This is all part of the cacophony that comes with the populist machine. The result will be “could have,” “may have,” “had potential to,” “can’t rule out,” or something alone those lines. Said result will register in a Pavlovian dog whistle fashion with the people it’s supposed to rile up, and will result in a lot more noise—this is an environment in which demagogues and polemics do well. This is not designed to actually go to court where they will have to back up everything they may say, and as such I don’t anticipate a concrete finding.


I think that’s what it’s all about. It’s not meant to overturn the election. It’s to sow doubt in the process and open the door to the maybes.

It’s almost June, for crying out loud. There’s no redo. What is it they say, elections have consequences? Look at these people, they’re claiming they found bamboo fibers on the ballots thereby proving that they are from China.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14570
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 10, 2021 11:16 pm

FGITD wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Is there independent and / or Dem oversight of this "recount"? ie physically watching that the ballots aren't being tampered with? I would be very surprised if "the evidence" isn't found soon and DJT will go into full "told you so" mode. Even though that evidence wont actually exist.

Does it matter? This is all part of the cacophony that comes with the populist machine. The result will be “could have,” “may have,” “had potential to,” “can’t rule out,” or something alone those lines. Said result will register in a Pavlovian dog whistle fashion with the people it’s supposed to rile up, and will result in a lot more noise—this is an environment in which demagogues and polemics do well. This is not designed to actually go to court where they will have to back up everything they may say, and as such I don’t anticipate a concrete finding.


I think that’s what it’s all about. It’s not meant to overturn the election. It’s to sow doubt in the process and open the door to the maybes.

It’s almost June, for crying out loud. There’s no redo. What is it they say, elections have consequences? Look at these people, they’re claiming they found bamboo fibers on the ballots thereby proving that they are from China.


Hence my threads about mass mental illness. Only those who have totally lost touch with reality can believe such stuff.

https://youtu.be/Rw1sW75gCug
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23600
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 4:13 am

Elkadad313 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote.

You say there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Provide a link to support that. As usual, you will hit and run and not post anything. The important missing words here are 'confirmed instances.'

One CITIZEN, REGISTERED TO VOTE, one vote. The Georgia Secretary of State said there were at least 1,000 cases of double voting in the state's primaries. Why would anyone assume that wouldn't (didn't) occur in the Nov. 3rd election? And Georgia is just one of 50 states. In a very close election, that could make a difference!

P.S. Trump didn't deserve my vote, but America deserves honest elections, regardless of party or outcome.


https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... 1e2c5b59bf
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-bruns ... n-november
https://www.dailylocal.com/news/chester ... 12ee4.html

Three different cases in three different states. Out of how many ballots cast. Such a problem.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 5:00 am

seb146 wrote:


I'm loving the 3rd one. A republican supporter caught voting twice and is blaming being setup by the democrats. Without any actual evidence of that though.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14570
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 5:17 am

Virtual737 wrote:
seb146 wrote:


I'm loving the 3rd one. A republican supporter caught voting twice and is blaming being setup by the democrats. Without any actual evidence of that though.


Did those links include the Trump supporter who voted for his dead mother in PA?

https://www.phillyvoice.com/trump-voter ... ad-mother/
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 1:56 pm

Elkadad313 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote.

You say there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Provide a link to support that. As usual, you will hit and run and not post anything. The important missing words here are 'confirmed instances.'

One CITIZEN, REGISTERED TO VOTE, one vote. The Georgia Secretary of State said there were at least 1,000 cases of double voting in the state's primaries. Why would anyone assume that wouldn't (didn't) occur in the Nov. 3rd election? And Georgia is just one of 50 states. In a very close election, that could make a difference!

P.S. Trump didn't deserve my vote, but America deserves honest elections, regardless of party or outcome.



Your point being what? Those 1000 cases of double voting were caught by existing laws, and they were investigated for clerical errors or fraud and then handed over to prosecutors. What new laws do we need that wasn't handled under these laws?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 1:58 pm

FGITD wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Is there independent and / or Dem oversight of this "recount"? ie physically watching that the ballots aren't being tampered with? I would be very surprised if "the evidence" isn't found soon and DJT will go into full "told you so" mode. Even though that evidence wont actually exist.

Does it matter? This is all part of the cacophony that comes with the populist machine. The result will be “could have,” “may have,” “had potential to,” “can’t rule out,” or something alone those lines. Said result will register in a Pavlovian dog whistle fashion with the people it’s supposed to rile up, and will result in a lot more noise—this is an environment in which demagogues and polemics do well. This is not designed to actually go to court where they will have to back up everything they may say, and as such I don’t anticipate a concrete finding.


I think that’s what it’s all about. It’s not meant to overturn the election. It’s to sow doubt in the process and open the door to the maybes.

It’s almost June, for crying out loud. There’s no redo. What is it they say, elections have consequences? Look at these people, they’re claiming they found bamboo fibers on the ballots thereby proving that they are from China.



It's all about furthering the big lie. And the big lie is exactly that , a dishonest and untrue assessment of what is going on in America. At the end of the day, many businesses will have to stop donating to a party that's biggest goal is to enhance it's lies to earn money.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18630
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 4:05 pm

seb146 wrote:
So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Guess who he voted twice for? Hint: It wasn't Biden!

All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote. But, Republicans can see the writing on the wall. They have no ideas to move the country forward. They simply want to remain in power and own the libs. Nothing more. This will not end well for them.

There were also one or two democrat ghost candidates in Florida that were funded by republicans to spoil elections but, you know, that's totally cool for reasons.

NIKV69 wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote.

You say there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Provide a link to support that. As usual, you will hit and run and not post anything. The important missing words here are 'confirmed instances.'

One CITIZEN, REGISTERED TO VOTE, one vote. The Georgia Secretary of State said there were at least 1,000 cases of double voting in the state's primaries. Why would anyone assume that wouldn't (didn't) occur in the Nov. 3rd election? And Georgia is just one of 50 states. In a very close election, that could make a difference!

P.S. Trump didn't deserve my vote, but America deserves honest elections, regardless of party or outcome.


I find it incredibly ironic that the individuals that champion Canada's health care system and other things don't want their election system. It would be quite refreshing actually.

No you don't. Everyone would take their election system and associated ID requirements in a heartbeat. But that would require you knowing/reading about their ID requirements and realizing what a dumb self own your comment is. As per usual.

Elkadad313 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So far, there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. All the voter laws across the country did their jobs. One person, one vote.

You say there has been one instance of voting twice from the 2020 election. Provide a link to support that. As usual, you will hit and run and not post anything. The important missing words here are 'confirmed instances.'

One CITIZEN, REGISTERED TO VOTE, one vote. The Georgia Secretary of State said there were at least 1,000 cases of double voting in the state's primaries. Why would anyone assume that wouldn't (didn't) occur in the Nov. 3rd election? And Georgia is just one of 50 states. In a very close election, that could make a difference!

P.S. Trump didn't deserve my vote, but America deserves honest elections, regardless of party or outcome.

Did the GA Sec of State mention any double voting in the November 3rd election? He had *plenty* of opportunity, and motive/incentive, to do so if there was.

The answer is no.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23600
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 6:25 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
seb146 wrote:


I'm loving the 3rd one. A republican supporter caught voting twice and is blaming being setup by the democrats. Without any actual evidence of that though.


Did those links include the Trump supporter who voted for his dead mother in PA?

https://www.phillyvoice.com/trump-voter ... ad-mother/


Yes, I included that one. Three instances in three different states by Republicans so Republicans have to make it harder for non-Republicans to vote. Makes total sense.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
windy95
Posts: 2796
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 pm

Another common sense bill passed by the GOP and our outstanding governor.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14260
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 7:21 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:

I find it incredibly ironic that the individuals that champion Canada's health care system and other things don't want their election system. It would be quite refreshing actually.

No you don't. Everyone would take their election system and associated ID requirements in a heartbeat. But that would require you knowing/reading about their ID requirements and realizing what a dumb self own your comment is. As per usual.
.[/quote]

Thanks for insulting me but I am well aware and as usual it will be shunned here because it would be a better way to actually know who is voting. I can imagine the 180 you would do if the midterms are a bloodbath for the Dems.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 7:24 pm

The reason these laws exists is that they are Bureaucratic overreach by a party that is lying about election fraud, and is continuing that lie by forcing more laws to further imply that they do not trust Americans at all.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
FGITD
Posts: 1536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I find it incredibly ironic that the individuals that champion Canada's health care system and other things don't want their election system. It would be quite refreshing actually.

No you don't. Everyone would take their election system and associated ID requirements in a heartbeat. But that would require you knowing/reading about their ID requirements and realizing what a dumb self own your comment is. As per usual.
.


Thanks for insulting me but I am well aware and as usual it will be shunned here because it would be a better way to actually know who is voting. I can imagine the 180 you would do if the midterms are a bloodbath for the Dems.[/quote]


...I don’t think people argue against voter ID requirements for the reasons you think they do.

It’s not because it leads to “actually knowing who is voting”
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18630
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 8:29 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I find it incredibly ironic that the individuals that champion Canada's health care system and other things don't want their election system. It would be quite refreshing actually.

No you don't. Everyone would take their election system and associated ID requirements in a heartbeat. But that would require you knowing/reading about their ID requirements and realizing what a dumb self own your comment is. As per usual.
.


Thanks for insulting me but I am well aware and as usual it will be shunned here because it would be a better way to actually know who is voting. I can imagine the 180 you would do if the midterms are a bloodbath for the Dems.[/quote]
That's not an insult--that's an objective description. You, and republicans, would absolutely lose your febrile minds if we implemented the uniform voting standards, voter registration, and ID requirements from Canada, which is why it will never happen. But thinking past the lazy soundbite is socialism or something:

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/ ... s-election

FGITD wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I find it incredibly ironic that the individuals that champion Canada's health care system and other things don't want their election system. It would be quite refreshing actually.

No you don't. Everyone would take their election system and associated ID requirements in a heartbeat. But that would require you knowing/reading about their ID requirements and realizing what a dumb self own your comment is. As per usual.
.


Thanks for insulting me but I am well aware and as usual it will be shunned here because it would be a better way to actually know who is voting. I can imagine the 180 you would do if the midterms are a bloodbath for the Dems.



...I don’t think people argue against voter ID requirements for the reasons you think they do.

It’s not because it leads to “actually knowing who is voting”[/quote]
Well they "actually know who is voting" and want to make sure only the whiter, more rural, older ones are voting easily. For uh...reasons. "Purity of the ballot box" which is republicans' hot new phrase that they definitely did not know was a Jim Crow hallmark :wink:

A Texas bill drew ire for saying it would preserve ‘purity of the ballot box.’ Here’s the phrase’s history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... box-black/
I don't take responsibility at all
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18630
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 pm

windy95 wrote:
Another common sense bill passed by the GOP and our outstanding governor.

Nothing says common sense like big government passing bills that "fix" imaginary problems
I don't take responsibility at all
 
AirframeAS
Posts: 9885
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:56 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 pm

casinterest wrote:
In the Arizona recount the GOP is currently projected to finish in late July or August with their recount......


Wait.... wait.... wait..... They're still doing the recount in Arizona 6 months after the election? Why?! This accomplishes nothing. Who is paying for the recount anyway?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14260
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Thu May 13, 2021 12:07 am

MaverickM11 wrote:


...I don’t think people argue against voter ID requirements for the reasons you think they do.

It’s not because it leads to “actually knowing who is voting”

Well they "actually know who is voting" and want to make sure only the whiter, more rural, older ones are voting easily. For uh...reasons. "Purity of the ballot box" which is republicans' hot new phrase that they definitely did not know was a Jim Crow hallmark :wink:

A Texas bill drew ire for saying it would preserve ‘purity of the ballot box.’ Here’s the phrase’s history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... box-black/[/quote]

This is BS and just more deflection. Voter ID isn't to prevent people that should be voting from voting it's to prevent people who shouldn't be voting from voting.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23600
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 am

AirframeAS wrote:
casinterest wrote:
In the Arizona recount the GOP is currently projected to finish in late July or August with their recount......


Wait.... wait.... wait..... They're still doing the recount in Arizona 6 months after the election? Why?! This accomplishes nothing. Who is paying for the recount anyway?


There should be a separate thread for that bonkers fraudit. They were looking for bamboo pieces on ballots at one point.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18630
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:


...I don’t think people argue against voter ID requirements for the reasons you think they do.

It’s not because it leads to “actually knowing who is voting”

Well they "actually know who is voting" and want to make sure only the whiter, more rural, older ones are voting easily. For uh...reasons. "Purity of the ballot box" which is republicans' hot new phrase that they definitely did not know was a Jim Crow hallmark :wink:

A Texas bill drew ire for saying it would preserve ‘purity of the ballot box.’ Here’s the phrase’s history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... box-black/


This is BS and just more deflection. Voter ID isn't to prevent people that should be voting from voting it's to prevent people who shouldn't be voting from voting.[/quote]
Yes it is BS, because you and the GOP can't come up with any evidence of voter fraud and are being sued for BILLIONS of dollars for lying about it. Conservatives don't give a flip about knowing *who* is voting--they want to control who is voting through IDs. Why else would a state like TX allow concealed carry IDs but not TX university IDs?

Again, if you knew what the hell you were talking about, importing Canadian voter ID requirements would allow both IDs, and many more.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Thu May 13, 2021 6:23 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:


...I don’t think people argue against voter ID requirements for the reasons you think they do.

It’s not because it leads to “actually knowing who is voting”

Well they "actually know who is voting" and want to make sure only the whiter, more rural, older ones are voting easily. For uh...reasons. "Purity of the ballot box" which is republicans' hot new phrase that they definitely did not know was a Jim Crow hallmark :wink:

A Texas bill drew ire for saying it would preserve ‘purity of the ballot box.’ Here’s the phrase’s history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... box-black/


This is BS and just more deflection. Voter ID isn't to prevent people that should be voting from voting it's to prevent people who shouldn't be voting from voting.

Yes it is BS, because you and the GOP can't come up with any evidence of voter fraud and are being sued for BILLIONS of dollars for lying about it. Conservatives don't give a flip about knowing *who* is voting--they want to control who is voting through IDs. Why else would a state like TX allow concealed carry IDs but not TX university IDs?

Again, if you knew what the hell you were talking about, importing Canadian voter ID requirements would allow both IDs, and many more.[/quote]

Yeah so they say no voter fraud. I say BS I clearly remember Sen John Ford of Memphis TN when he went to prison for federal bribery his sister Ophelia Ford ran for his seat and won beating her Republican opponent by 13 votes. Turns out there were improprieties on both sides but alas the Ford family owns a bunch of funeral homes and surprise they found dead people had voted for her. Most Americans support having an ID to vote you virtually cannot do much in this country without an ID. The only valid reason to object to using an ID is you plan to commit fraud. Needs to be like Mexico which requires a photo ID to vote if they can do it we certainly should.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophelia_Ford

https://www.statesman.com/news/20160923 ... id-to-vote
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23600
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Thu May 13, 2021 6:46 pm

stratosphere wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Well they "actually know who is voting" and want to make sure only the whiter, more rural, older ones are voting easily. For uh...reasons. "Purity of the ballot box" which is republicans' hot new phrase that they definitely did not know was a Jim Crow hallmark :wink:

A Texas bill drew ire for saying it would preserve ‘purity of the ballot box.’ Here’s the phrase’s history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... box-black/


This is BS and just more deflection. Voter ID isn't to prevent people that should be voting from voting it's to prevent people who shouldn't be voting from voting.

Yes it is BS, because you and the GOP can't come up with any evidence of voter fraud and are being sued for BILLIONS of dollars for lying about it. Conservatives don't give a flip about knowing *who* is voting--they want to control who is voting through IDs. Why else would a state like TX allow concealed carry IDs but not TX university IDs?

Again, if you knew what the hell you were talking about, importing Canadian voter ID requirements would allow both IDs, and many more.

Yeah so they say no voter fraud. I say BS I clearly remember Sen John Ford of Memphis TN when he went to prison for federal bribery his sister Ophelia Ford ran for his seat and won beating her Republican opponent by 13 votes. Turns out there were improprieties on both sides but alas the Ford family owns a bunch of funeral homes and surprise they found dead people had voted for her. Most Americans support having an ID to vote you virtually cannot do much in this country without an ID. The only valid reason to object to using an ID is you plan to commit fraud. Needs to be like Mexico which requires a photo ID to vote if they can do it we certainly should.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophelia_Ford

https://www.statesman.com/news/20160923 ... id-to-vote


The only ones complaining about voter ID laws, it seems, are Republicans who whine that "liberals" want anyone and everyone to vote. Which is not true at all. "Liberals" want voter ID laws and voter integrity. Meaning LEGAL Americans can cast one ballot one time the was the law is written. Republicans simply do not want people to vote.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13367
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 pm

Isn't it amazing how the folks that hate the Washington swamp keep letting Washington insiders and racists write the bills for them?

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... sion-laws/

’re working with these state legislators to make sure they have all of the information they need to draft the bills,” Anderson told the Heritage Foundation donors. In addition to drafting the bills in some cases, “we’ve also hired state lobbyists to make sure that in these targeted states we’re meeting with the right people.”

“In some cases, we actually draft [the bills] for them, or we have a sentinel on our behalf give them the model legislation so it has that grassroots, from-the-bottom-up type of vibe.”
To “create this echo chamber,” as Anderson put it, Heritage is spending $24 million over two years in eight battleground states—Arizona, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Nevada, Texas, and Wisconsin—to pass and defend restrictive voting legislation. Every Tuesday, the group leads a call with right-wing advocacy groups like the Susan B. Anthony List, Tea Party Patriots, and FreedomWorks to coordinate these efforts at the highest levels of the conservative movement. “We literally give marching orders for the week ahead,” Anderson said. “All so we’re singing from the same song sheet of the goals for that week and where the state bills are across the country.”


Instead of states rights and individual freedom, it is all about marching in step with the cult, and restricting the American right to vote.

Maybe we should let these monsters draft some guns rights bills
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14260
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Fri May 14, 2021 12:12 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:


...I don’t think people argue against voter ID requirements for the reasons you think they do.

It’s not because it leads to “actually knowing who is voting”

Well they "actually know who is voting" and want to make sure only the whiter, more rural, older ones are voting easily. For uh...reasons. "Purity of the ballot box" which is republicans' hot new phrase that they definitely did not know was a Jim Crow hallmark :wink:

A Texas bill drew ire for saying it would preserve ‘purity of the ballot box.’ Here’s the phrase’s history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... box-black/


This is BS and just more deflection. Voter ID isn't to prevent people that should be voting from voting it's to prevent people who shouldn't be voting from voting.

Yes it is BS, because you and the GOP can't come up with any evidence of voter fraud and are being sued for BILLIONS of dollars for lying about it. Conservatives don't give a flip about knowing *who* is voting--they want to control who is voting through IDs. Why else would a state like TX allow concealed carry IDs but not TX university IDs?

Again, if you knew what the hell you were talking about, importing Canadian voter ID requirements would allow both IDs, and many more.[/quote]

If you know how to use the quote function I wouldn't have such a headache!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1536
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Fri May 14, 2021 4:02 am

NIKV69 wrote:

If you know how to use the quote function I wouldn't have such a headache!


Interesting stance to take when I believe it was your mis-quote of maverick a few days ago that set the whole thing in action

Should be a limit in my opinion. Quote within quote within quote within quote gets impossible to read.

Back on topic...I say we make a standard United States ID, and require it for voting and call it a day.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23600
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Fri May 14, 2021 3:02 pm

FGITD wrote:
Back on topic...I say we make a standard United States ID, and require it for voting and call it a day.


That might be a good idea but it is up to each state on how votes are done. Some states have vote by mail, others ban it. States rights would get in the way. Besides, no one can agree on what is legal ID at the state level, so how can anyone agree what legal ID is on a federal level? Then, there is the question of how it is paid for.... It becomes a headache.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18630
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Sat May 15, 2021 2:43 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
If you know how to use the quote function I wouldn't have such a headache!

Well I certainly wouldn't count on a substantive response from you

stratosphere wrote:
Yeah so they say no voter fraud. I say BS I clearly remember Sen John Ford of Memphis TN when he went to prison for federal bribery his sister Ophelia Ford ran for his seat and won beating her Republican opponent by 13 votes. Turns out there were improprieties on both sides but alas the Ford family owns a bunch of funeral homes and surprise they found dead people had voted for her. Most Americans support having an ID to vote you virtually cannot do much in this country without an ID. The only valid reason to object to using an ID is you plan to commit fraud. Needs to be like Mexico which requires a photo ID to vote if they can do it we certainly should.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophelia_Ford

https://www.statesman.com/news/20160923 ... id-to-vote

You had to go back nearly 20 years for a single example? Jesus. Meanwhile republicans are bragging about voter suppression in broad daylight:

Leaked Video: Dark Money Group Brags About Writing GOP Voter Suppression Bills Across the Country
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... sion-laws/
I don't take responsibility at all
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Sun May 16, 2021 5:12 pm

moo wrote:
Its always Republicans that seem to be making it harder for people to vote...

Would almost seem like they are part of the problem, not the solution...


Because they can’t win otherwise. The US is a changing country and it’s quickly leaving them behind.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14570
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: New Election Law Passed in Florida

Mon May 17, 2021 2:54 am

Just a simple question for conservatives: if someone is a citizen and duly registered to vote - why *ever* pass anything that reduces their access? That’s literally shooting whatever one claims to cherish in the foot.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EA CO AS, LCDFlight, ZK-NBT and 165 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos