Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

The death of the 'Golden Globe' awards ?

Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 am

The Golden Globe Awards for movie, TV and streaming entertainment productions hosted by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) may be facing a 'death penalty' due to several reasons, the leading one the lack of diversity of it tiny membership. The HFPA has no Black African among its 86 voting members per a recent investigative report, something very critical in the recent social pressures to end racism and lack of diversity in the entertainment industry, awards organizations and in the general public. The USA's NBC network has decided it won't carry the awards show in 2022. Some winners, including Tom Cruise are returning their statues. The big movie and TV production companies and key people inducing newcomer Netflix are putting pressure on the HFPA for their lack of diversity. Of course the HFPA is saying it will figure out ways to become more diverse but that is just PR talk. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 234950938/
The Golden Globe Awards were a joke 20 years ago. It has only become respected in the since then as who it awarded became closer to the nominees and winners of the Oscars and Emmys. With so many 'award' shows, the lack of racial, ethnic, gender equity in the entertainment industry, the shifts to streaming, declining ratings of its televised awards show, many in the public seeing the awards shows as nothing but 'liberals' pushing 'cancel culture' to many White persons, some big players in the entertainment industry unhappy with the behaviors and demands of the HFPA, the Golden Globes may be facing its end.

GDB

Re: The death of the 'Golden Globe' awards ?

Tue May 11, 2021 11:14 am

Get Ricky Gervais to host it again, though that might put off a lot of the 'talent' from attending if the last one he did was anything to go by.

lightsaber

Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 am

The problem is the show has stopped being entertainment and is more of a lecture than a celebration. It thrived for decades when it was fun. The issue is now the TV ratings. Under 5 million viewers is not sustainable. The almost complete loss of 18-49 viewers will kill the revenue. The leading issue is they are not drawing in an audience by entertaining them.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/golden ... 234918328/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/289 ... en-globes/

All the award shows are in trouble. Remember when the Oscars had over 55.25 million US viewers (1998, Titanic)? Just over 10 million in 2021. (This link has marginally more viewers for the Globes, not enough to matter). Grammy's are down by half.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... viewership

The shows are just less entertaining. It isn't just white people tuning out. No one wants a downer of a lecture. If any of the awards shows want to return to being relevant, they must first trim the shows length, become entertaining again, and stop the lecturing. Is diversity a worthy goal? Yes. However, I do not think that explains the poor ratings.

I personally subscribe to the premise the globes are done. There are too many award shows for too small an audience. In general, streaming, including YouTube, has made TV far less relevant. I know my kids never ask to watch TV but will sneak in YouTube on their computers quite a bit.

Lightsaber

VSMUT

Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 am

lightsaber wrote:
All the award shows are in trouble. Remember when the Oscars had over 55.25 million US viewers (1998, Titanic)? Just over 10 million in 2021. (This link has marginally more viewers for the Globes, not enough to matter). Grammy's are down by half.

The shows are just less entertaining.

:checkmark:

Famous people patting themselves on the backs. You can find way more interesting stuff on youtube.

slider

Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 pm

Oh no! What will we do without another vapid awards show full of self-absorbed celebs sniffing their own farts?

par13del

Wed May 12, 2021 1:13 pm

lightsaber wrote:
The problem is the show has stopped being entertainment and is more of a lecture than a celebration. It thrived for decades when it was fun. The issue is now the TV ratings. Under 5 million viewers is not sustainable. The almost complete loss of 18-49 viewers will kill the revenue. The leading issue is they are not drawing in an audience by entertaining them.

The shows are just less entertaining. It isn't just white people tuning out. No one wants a downer of a lecture. If any of the awards shows want to return to being relevant, they must first trim the shows length, become entertaining again, and stop the lecturing. Is diversity a worthy goal? Yes. However, I do not think that explains the poor ratings.

I personally subscribe to the premise the globes are done. There are too many award shows for too small an audience. In general, streaming, including YouTube, has made TV far less relevant. I know my kids never ask to watch TV but will sneak in YouTube on their computers quite a bit.

Lightsaber

I think you will also find that in general, the movies being made are also going on the lecture circuit, yes a lot of producers / writers / studios have used movies to push various agenda's, today this is getting more and more prominent. Where the internet is helping, it is now much easier to make a movie if only for streaming sites versus theatre distribution, and that cut's both ways, it helps those who do and do not want to use entertainment to push an agenda.

lightsaber

Wed May 12, 2021 1:36 pm

par13del wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I think you will also find that in general, the movies being made are also going on the lecture circuit, yes a lot of producers / writers / studios have used movies to push various agenda's, today this is getting more and more prominent. Where the internet is helping, it is now much easier to make a movie if only for streaming sites versus theatre distribution, and that cut's both ways, it helps those who do and do not want to use entertainment to push an agenda.

Entertainment is supposed to be the 3rd place, where one goes to escape. That entertainment is what made Hollywood great.

It is fine if I personally do not find something entertaining; I respect I am not the whole market. However, look at my signature, the last time I watched TV was Thanksgiving because my football games were no longer entertainment (I turned the TV off and went out jogging).

Something is wrong when:
1. population has grown
2. people are locked down and consuming more video than ever.

Yet people are tuning out. I could list show after show, but the old format was simple

1. Have a make character that men wanted to be and women desired.
2. Have a female character that women wanted to be and men desired.
3. Have an entertaining plot that allowed suspension of disbelief and let the audience forget their earthly worries for the duration of the show.

Now exceptional shows (high budget) could be just #3 (e.g., ET, Ghandi) and cheesy shows relied mostly on physical attraction (later part of #1 & #2).

The Golden Globes were the also ran award show anyway. I don't know of a way to make them relevant again.

I never threw Golden Globes parties like I did Oscar parties; neither myself nor my friends have thrown an Oscars parts in 25 years... Why? Politics. My friends are a diverse view lot and once there was an argument over politics at an Oscars party, the group split, that made it less fun and it just became a bunch of separate friends using it as an excuse to meet for drinks when, with kids, it must be more than that.

These award shows were setup to print money. They won't ever again. They lost their relevancy when they stopped being fun and entertaining. The current culture is so negative, I'll go read a book.

Lightsaber

cledaybuck

Wed May 12, 2021 2:11 pm

lightsaber wrote:
par13del wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Entertainment is supposed to be the 3rd place, where one goes to escape. That entertainment is what made Hollywood great.

It is fine if I personally do not find something entertaining; I respect I am not the whole market. However, look at my signature, the last time I watched TV was Thanksgiving because my football games were no longer entertainment (I turned the TV off and went out jogging).

Something is wrong when:
1. population has grown
2. people are locked down and consuming more video than ever.

Yet people are tuning out. I could list show after show, but the old format was simple

1. Have a make character that men wanted to be and women desired.
2. Have a female character that women wanted to be and men desired.
3. Have an entertaining plot that allowed suspension of disbelief and let the audience forget their earthly worries for the duration of the show.

Now exceptional shows (high budget) could be just #3 (e.g., ET, Ghandi) and cheesy shows relied mostly on physical attraction (later part of #1 & #2).

The Golden Globes were the also ran award show anyway. I don't know of a way to make them relevant again.

I never threw Golden Globes parties like I did Oscar parties; neither myself nor my friends have thrown an Oscars parts in 25 years... Why? Politics. My friends are a diverse view lot and once there was an argument over politics at an Oscars party, the group split, that made it less fun and it just became a bunch of separate friends using it as an excuse to meet for drinks when, with kids, it must be more than that.

These award shows were setup to print money. They won't ever again. They lost their relevancy when they stopped being fun and entertaining. The current culture is so negative, I'll go read a book.

Lightsaber

I think part of the problem is often what gets nominated are not popular movies. Maybe it's just because I am getting older, but I have only seen 2 of the best picture winners since 2010.

MaverickM11

Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 pm

Who watches these second tier award shows anyway? I'd rather chew glass.

Industry related--what happens have the Golden Globes go away? Would it even matter? How is it possible in 2021 the GG voting committee has no black people?

Aesma

Wed May 12, 2021 2:50 pm

First time I hear about the "Hollywood Foreign Press Association". I must say the concept is a bit strange, you must be a foreigner writing for foreign newspapers, but live in LA. You must become an American, basically, but still have a "foreign view" ? Lately, if they gave the awards to the same movies/actors, I guess they proved they were as much insiders as members of the Oscars.

Is there an African journalist living in LA and writing for an African newspaper about Hollywood ? I can imagine it's a rare breed.