Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VMCA787
Topic Author

Trouble for Trump

Wed May 19, 2021 6:29 am

Looks as if things are going to get worse for Trump. Seems as though the NY State investigation into his loans and insurance has evolved from a civil matter to a criminal matter. In addition, the NY City investigation is still ongoing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57166735
Fly fast, live slow!

Newark727

Re: Trouble for Trump

Wed May 19, 2021 6:31 am

Good to see them still plugging away over there... with the amount of smoke the Trump org. has generated over the past 30-40 yrs., it'd be shocking if there was no fire.

Aaron747

Wed May 19, 2021 6:44 am

Let us not forget there is also an ongoing federal investigation by the SDNY's office. What a maelstrom of nonsense this company has spun.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Virtual737

Wed May 19, 2021 7:11 am

It'll still be spun as the extremist liberals going after a decent man.

ltbewr

Wed May 19, 2021 3:16 pm

I am not surprised and indeed expected the 'Trump Organization' and the business entities under it to be criminally investigated. Many of the financial, tax, insurance fraud and other criminal acts were through it. Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen and a top executive of the Trump Org, Allen Weisselberg may be singing or some around have to cut their jail time. I hope this means Trump's 2 sons, daughter Invanka, other top executives of the Trump Org. and Trump himself are facing criminal charges, trials, convictions, jail and made into paupers, losing all the properties to pay back the fines, unpaid taxes with interest, loans and lawyers costs.

casinterest

Wed May 19, 2021 4:51 pm

If Trump were a regular citizen , he would already be in jail for life. He just keeps getting propped up by the Right wing that enforces his abusive lies and behavior.

The Benghazi hounds in Congress don't want another investigation into Jan 6, because we already "know enough". Mitch McConnell standing up for lies, along with Kevin McCarthy. They can't even be the leaders they were elected to be.

it will take real investigations by Civil authorities to put Trump behind bars. Election finance Fraud, Financial fraud, and a host of business dealing will be required.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

ER757

Wed May 19, 2021 6:57 pm

Tick Tock, Tick Tock.........well, we already know how he looks in orange :smile:

NIKV69

Wed May 19, 2021 9:01 pm

So no charges in tax evasion but now we are investigating criminal stuff? Sounds like straws being grasped. I don't think you will see the Donald ever arrested but keep up the good fight guys.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Aesma

Wed May 19, 2021 9:55 pm

Isn't tax evasion criminal ? Isn't it how they got Capone ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dfwjim1

Wed May 19, 2021 11:26 pm

Six years ago people were talking about Mr. Trump facing jail time and still nothing has happened.

ER757

Wed May 19, 2021 11:27 pm

Aesma wrote:
Isn't tax evasion criminal ? Isn't it how they got Capone ?

Yep, exactly what I wad thinking.

Aaron747

Wed May 19, 2021 11:38 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
So no charges in tax evasion but now we are investigating criminal stuff? Sounds like straws being grasped. I don't think you will see the Donald ever arrested but keep up the good fight guys.

Not keeping up - that’s not the NY AG’s department. The tax evasion and fraud investigation is at the federal level with SDNY.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Wed May 19, 2021 11:39 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Six years ago people were talking about Mr. Trump facing jail time and still nothing has happened.

There was a four year delay in being able to really pursue anything...one may have noticed?

seb146

Thu May 20, 2021 1:30 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

Because six years ago he was the great white hope to restore order and balance to America after eight years of Obama giving hope to minorities would be my guess. After years of ignoring the law and money laundering and paying off hookers and who knows how many crimes, I think it is time we see exactly how much of a criminal this guy is. After all, we had eleven Congressional investigations into Beghazi because there is something there, right? so why not have law enforcement (Blue Lives Matter!) do their job?

What ever happened to "elect me and I will release my taxes" from 2016? Still waiting FIVE YEARS LATER for that one. So honest and transparent....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

petertenthije

Thu May 20, 2021 8:38 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

Let's just say there was something that Barr'ed proceedings. ;)
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

NIKV69

Thu May 20, 2021 11:03 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Not keeping up - that’s not the NY AG’s department. The tax evasion and fraud investigation is at the federal level with SDNY.

I have been keeping up. I am well aware of how each sort of tax evasion is handled, civil, criminal etc. Like I have said if there was anything that carried any jail time he would have been charged and or leaked out while he was in office.

Aaron747

Thu May 20, 2021 11:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I have been keeping up. I am well aware of how each sort of tax evasion is handled, civil, criminal etc. Like I have said if there was anything that carried any jail time he would have been charged and or leaked out while he was in office.

Mmmmrigght, coming from the same dude who said a couple months back that we should have heard what was in the tax returns within a couple weeks' time? :lol: It takes months at minimum to even review the files, much less match up with other records, and then employee testimonies - if they even cooperate. That's two years right there - and that's if there are no holdups in court from Trump's lawyers' end.

LMP737

Thu May 20, 2021 3:48 pm

People, he's already proven he's above the law. To think that is going to change is a bit naïve IMHO.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

casinterest

Thu May 20, 2021 4:35 pm

LMP737 wrote:
People, he's already proven he's above the law. To think that is going to change is a bit naïve IMHO.

That is why he belongs in prison. That is why prisons exist.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

LMP737

Thu May 20, 2021 5:26 pm

That is why he belongs in prison. That is why prisons exist.[/quote]

I will believe it when I see it. Until then, I'm going to assume the laws/rules don't apply to him.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Aaron747

Thu May 20, 2021 5:31 pm

LMP737 wrote:

I will believe it when I see it. Until then, I'm going to assume the laws/rules don't apply to him.[/quote]

He’s up a creek if Weisselberg flips. You just watch

T4thH

Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm

casinterest wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

No, sorry, you have misunderstood. In his dictatorship....sorry in his 150% true democracy, which has been stolen (does someone want to say something else?), the only one, as shown by the greatest and beloved Führer, like these of Putinistan, Caliphate of Erdogania as example...only these will have to go there, who are criminals...all of opposing him, and of course, their families...for these you have to learn from the greatest leaders, like AH and Germany, JS and Mao. Or the the greatest state now, China. For these you have the re-training camps.

Or wait...do you want to say something else? Do you not believe in your Greatest Führer, these of your "Divided States of Trumpistani"?

So where is the listing, where I have it, where is the listing......... This for in 3.5 years....
(who find the ironic can keep it)

ltbewr

Thu May 20, 2021 6:54 pm

I wonder if the Trump Organization, Trump himself, family members & top executives get indicted there will be a consent order deal done to avoid trial and public disclosure of his financial records like done with his 'Trump University'. This happens too often by too many corporations and businesses who get into trouble where pay out some money, no or limited penalties and interest and agrees 'to not do it again'.

NIKV69

Thu May 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Mmmmrigght, coming from the same dude who said a couple months back that we should have heard what was in the tax returns within a couple weeks' time? :lol: It takes months at minimum to even review the files, much less match up with other records, and then employee testimonies - if they even cooperate. That's two years right there - and that's if there are no holdups in court from Trump's lawyers' end.

LOL, sounds like a fantasy to me but keep up the good fight and when he gets arrested I am sure a thread will be started.

MaverickM11

Thu May 20, 2021 10:27 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

I will believe it when I see it. Until then, I'm going to assume the laws/rules don't apply to him.

He’s up a creek if Weisselberg flips. You just watch[/quote]
It's not like there's anything to gain from loyalty to him, isn't that right Giuliani/Cohen/Pence/and a million other people?
I don't take responsibility at all

EstherLouise

Thu May 20, 2021 11:41 pm

If I were Trump, I'd consider life to be a sucking mess... always being a hair's width of having crossed to line into illegality.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

johns624

Thu May 20, 2021 11:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

LOL, sounds like a fantasy to me but keep up the good fight and when he gets arrested I am sure a thread will be started.
It doesn't really matter. There's no banks around that will lend him any appreciable amount of money. His sons are twits who couldn't run a hamburger stand. Trump will slowly fade into oblivion.

Aaron747

Fri May 21, 2021 12:39 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not a fantasy - here’s where you said it:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1458111&p=22673485&hilit=tax+returns#p22673485

Aesma

Fri May 21, 2021 12:27 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:

From what I'm seeing the "audit" was basically stopped during his presidency.

Being French I'm used to this, president Jacques Chirac was convicted something like 20 years after the fact because he was president for 12 years in between the crime and the trial... President Sarkozy is in court today for something that happened in 2012, other stuff dating back from 2007 are still pending.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Fri May 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Aesma wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

From what I'm seeing the "audit" was basically stopped during his presidency.

Being French I'm used to this, president Jacques Chirac was convicted something like 20 years after the fact because he was president for 12 years in between the crime and the trial... President Sarkozy is in court today for something that happened in 2012, other stuff dating back from 2007 are still pending.

He kept insisting the audit was ongoing, even though audits take up to nine months

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/presi ... 2020-10-01

Not four years.

Max Q

Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 pm

Lock him up
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Max Q

Tue May 25, 2021 10:51 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
If I were Trump, I'd consider life to be a sucking mess... always being a hair's width of having crossed to line into illegality.

Such a supposition presumes he’s capable of remotely human emotions, let alone a conscience

He’s never really been held to account for anything he’s done in his life so he assumes he never will be and confuses this for ‘strength’

Most importantly he loves the attention

GGg

tommy1808

Wed May 26, 2021 4:46 am

Max Q wrote:
Lock him up

Well, they did make it to convening a grand jury at this time...

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... e085a0fec6

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

ER757

Wed May 26, 2021 6:55 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Lock him up

Well, they did make it to convening a grand jury at this time...

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... e085a0fec6

best regards
Thomas

Grand juries aren't usually convened unless there's some smoke that is likely a fire. I think they must have something juicy and Donny boy and his cohorts are in some doo-doo. Lock him up indeed

victrola

Wed May 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Ok. Let's suppose he gets indicted and goes to trial. How are you ever going to get a jury that would convict? You have 12 people on a jury. All it takes is one Trump supporter on that jury to vote not guilty. No matter what evidence is presented, a Trump supporter would just call it a hoax. I seriously doubt Trump could be convicted on anything in this country.

casinterest

Wed May 26, 2021 8:35 pm

victrola wrote:
Ok. Let's suppose he gets indicted and goes to trial. How are you ever going to get a jury that would convict? You have 12 people on a jury. All it takes is one Trump supporter on that jury to vote not guilty. No matter what evidence is presented, a Trump supporter would just call it a hoax. I seriously doubt Trump could be convicted on anything in this country.

Evidence is Evidence, and in the US, a devout Trump supporter would probably be isolated out of the Jury pool. Especially if the prosecutor asks some pointed questions about partiality and their ability to do their citizen's duties.

hashtagconfused

Wed May 26, 2021 9:44 pm

casinterest wrote:
victrola wrote:

Evidence is Evidence, and in the US, a devout Trump supporter would probably be isolated out of the Jury pool. Especially if the prosecutor asks some pointed questions about partiality and their ability to do their citizen's duties.

doesn't this go both ways though? what if the evidence does not support conviction but a jury full of trump haters decides to find him guilty because they can. or can only trump supporters be biased?

petertenthije

Wed May 26, 2021 9:45 pm

casinterest wrote:

Is it possible for anyone to be impartial when you have someone as high-profile and extremely polarizing as Trump?

I am only familiar with a law system where the judge makes the call, without a jury. So how does that work with juries? Who determines if someone is impartial? Whatever the result of the jury will be, the looser can always claim someone on the jury was prejudiced.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Lord Flashheart, 1989

casinterest

Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 pm

petertenthije wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Is it possible for anyone to be impartial when you have someone as high-profile and extremely polarizing as Trump?

I am only familiar with a law system where the judge makes the call, without a jury. So how does that work with juries? Who determines if someone is impartial? Whatever the result of the jury will be, the looser can always claim someone on the jury was prejudiced.

During Jury selection, the Defense and prosecuting attorneys ask a series of questions of each prospective juror. They can also have pre prepared questions for all to fill out. If either side finds reasons to omit a juror, they will be dismissed. This is done in front of a judge.
I would imagine the jury pool would be quite large for such a trial, and there will be some serious warnings from the judge about partiality to "Hoax" folks.

Aaron747

Thu May 27, 2021 12:42 am

petertenthije wrote:
casinterest wrote:

In this case it would be advantageous for the jury pool to be as apolitical as possible - perhaps it should be comprised of folks who have not voted in the last two elections.

Max Q

Thu May 27, 2021 3:35 am

I sincerely hope he’s indicted, convicted and incarcerated for the rest of his life

chump was the worst president in the history of the United States, he is a deranged, racist criminal and a traitor responsible for thousands of deaths, a whole new civil war and an insurrection threatening our very democracy

It’s vital he pay the price for his own punishment and as an example for all the moronic ‘wannabes’

GGg

seb146

Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 am

victrola wrote:

This is also a reason Merrick Garland is sitting back and not doing much of anything about the twice impeached, one term former occupant. If Garland did anything at all, even give him a speeding ticket, Republicans would lose their mind.

Aaron747

Thu May 27, 2021 4:22 am

seb146 wrote:
victrola wrote:

This is also a reason Merrick Garland is sitting back and not doing much of anything about the twice impeached, one term former occupant. If Garland did anything at all, even give him a speeding ticket, Republicans would lose their mind.

He would have to be man enough to drive his own vehicle to get a speeding ticket :lol:

Aesma

Thu May 27, 2021 4:40 am

In France jury trials are only for the gravest crimes (called crimes, and not "délits" ), basically rape and murder (and often, rape is lowered to something less to preserve the victim). And there is no need for jurors to all agree, so no mistrial. And one last bit that makes a difference : out of 9 jurors, 3 are judges.

So if Trump was on trial here, juste like president Nicolas Sarkozy is on trial right now, there would be no jury to bribe or convince, just professional judges, used to see lying criminals every day...

BTW Sarkozy hasn't done anything remotely close to what we know Trump did. Well I guess the Khadafi money is pretty bad but there is so little evidence of that that I don't see it going somewhere.

tommy1808

Thu May 27, 2021 4:43 am

casinterest wrote:
victrola wrote:

Well... Trumps henchmen where convicted despite all of Trumps antics and loyalties.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

petertenthije

Thu May 27, 2021 5:36 am

casinterest wrote:
During Jury selection, the Defense and prosecuting attorneys ask a series of questions of each prospective juror. They can also have pre prepared questions for all to fill out. If either side finds reasons to omit a juror, they will be dismissed. This is done in front of a judge.
I would imagine the jury pool would be quite large for such a trial, and there will be some serious warnings from the judge about partiality to "Hoax" folks.

Is it only a few questions to determine if a prospective juror is unbiased? That seems very easy to abuse. Or is there also a background. For instance checking past business ties, going through social media and the like: "I see you posted Trump is a moron on airliners.net, so you are disqualified from jury duty".

Are jurors kept anonymous? Otherwise they might be threatened by far left and far right parties.

And does the jury have to reach a unanymous decision, or is it a majority ruling? If it is majority rule, is the split between jurors even released, or is that kept confidential so jurors do not feel they can get pressured on their decision after the fact.
Lord Flashheart, 1989

scbriml

Thu May 27, 2021 7:28 am

casinterest wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I have to say, I find the American process of jury selection very strange in comparison to how things are done in England. TV interviews with jurors after a high-profile case seems potentially dangerous.

In England the process is very simple - a panel of jurors is selected for a trial. The first 12 on the list go into the courtroom and both prosecution and defence can reject a maximum of three jurors. No questions are asked, the lawyer just says "I would like juror X to be removed." I've done jury service four times and sat on nearly a dozen cases. In those cases not one single juror was rejected. I have never seen a TV interview of any juror after any case in England.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Thu May 27, 2021 9:48 am

A public felony criminal jury trial of Trump is never going to happen. He will likely die or be able to claim mental unfitness and for sure prosecutors know it would be a total hot mess taking over the media, charges of political persecution and prosecution of him further dividing the country. It would be impossible to get an impartial jury, Trump would use the media to the hilt, have his lawyers file endless delaying motions and likely never see a day in jail. As I have said here and elsewhere, a deal will be done to pay some civil financial penalty like he did with his Trump U and his Foundation.

NIKV69

Thu May 27, 2021 12:25 pm

seb146 wrote:
victrola wrote:

This is ridiculous. Totally baseless.

scbriml wrote:
[quo

I have to say, I find the American process of jury selection very strange in comparison to how things are done in England. TV interviews with jurors after a high-profile case seems potentially dangerous.

In England the process is very simple - a panel of jurors is selected for a trial. The first 12 on the list go into the courtroom and both prosecution and defence can reject a maximum of three jurors. No questions are asked, the lawyer just says "I would like juror X to be removed." I've done jury service four times and sat on nearly a dozen cases. In those cases not one single juror was rejected. I have never seen a TV interview of any juror after any case in England.

I never agree with you, but here you are 100% correct.

casinterest

Thu May 27, 2021 1:47 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Is it only a few questions to determine if a prospective juror is unbiased? That seems very easy to abuse. Or is there also a background. For instance checking past business ties, going through social media and the like: "I see you posted Trump is a moron on airliners.net, so you are disqualified from jury duty".

Are jurors kept anonymous? Otherwise they might be threatened by far left and far right parties.

And does the jury have to reach a unanymous decision, or is it a majority ruling? If it is majority rule, is the split between jurors even released, or is that kept confidential so jurors do not feel they can get pressured on their decision after the fact.

The amount of questions asked will depend on how much knowledge of the case is out there . It took 10-12 days to select the George Floyd Jury. 12 jurors and 3 alternates. So the attorney's can be highly thorough. I am sure I could get out of Jury service for a Trump trial based on my personal detest towards him, but I would be a fair juror and hear the evidence of the case at hand.

On my Jury duty, of which I have had to appear twice. I was dismissed the first time as I was in college, and claimed hardship of tests. the 2nd one , I was selected after about 5 questions, The jury was selected in 1 hour for a 3 day trial. That was with about half of the 50 being dismissed due to hardships. We had to unanimously agree on the verdict over three charges, and we had logical discussions in the deliberation room, and then voted by hand count to see where we all were every 30 minutes. After 3 hours we made our decision. Jurors being anonymous is up to the judge based on any threats. Other than that, when the verdict is done, you are dismissed to go do as you please. I am sure for a Trump trial , there will be some serious discussions about how the Jurors are treated. In the US court system the defendant can choose for a trial by judge, so they do not have to be judged by their peers. That is up to the defendant though..

scbriml wrote:

That would be nice, but here in the US, there are some economic hardships incurred for some people. Especially if they have to sit on a jury for 3-6 weeks. This case against Trump does not seem simple. and I am sure it will take quite a few weeks of time to present it and have it rebuttled by the defense.